Pink Princess Philodendron Sale!

Manchester, NH(Zone 5a)

Almost Eden's Pink Princess philodendrons are on sale for $9.99 each! That's the lowest price I've seen in a long time, so I wanted to share. :)

The poor little plant I bought from Home Depot for $7 almost 10 years ago isn't doing very well after a botched transplant, so I'm so glad I was able to scoop one (ok, two) up from Almost Eden!

https://almostedenplants.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=9020

Portage, WI(Zone 5a)

I would not recommend Pink Princess for most folks. Hard to manage, not cheap, bugs love them. I have had 12 or so plants. 1 left. Gene

Tucson, AZ(Zone 9a)

Why are they difficult? I got some a while back and I wouldn't say they're going nuts, but they look okay.
Any tips on growing them?

Manchester, NH(Zone 5a)

Gene, I'm sorry you've had such bad luck with them! I have plants that I can't seem to maintain no matter how easy other people find them, or how well I can otherwise keep plants alive. Maybe that's the case for you, too? I do agree that they're expensive plants, though. That's why I wanted to sound the alarm when I saw Almost Eden's prices!

Eileen, I grow mine indoors, and I've never had a big problem with bugs, at least not one that a spray or two doesn't take care of. If anything, they've survived my neglect! It didn't thrive and grow the way it would have had I given it the appropriate care, but my only real problem with them was related to over watering. Doing so after the transplant nearly killed the one that I've had for 10 years. That's what prompted me to order them from Almost Eden. (By the way, they were HUGE plants: 2 - 16" tall stalks in each 4" container!!! My original plant, also in a 4" container, was probably 5-6".)

I used straight moisture controlled potting soil straight from the bag on my original plant. This time around I mixed it with some bark mulch, sphagnum and perlite (I think? I can't remember now) to amend the soil and keep it from holding on to too much water. I try to wait until the soil is just slightly moist before watering it again, erring on the side of too little rather than too much water, and I've always kept an eye on the leaves (you know, brown edges = too little water, and yellowing leaves = too much water.) So far, it's a very happy plant and has continued to slowly produce new leaves!

My only problem now is figuring out how to get the humidity up around the plant. I think it had quite the shock, coming up to NH from the humidity of Louisiana! As a result, some of the pink parts of one of the leaves has shriveled up. :(

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.