2nd ANNUAL THOUGHTS OF YOU

Ocean Springs, MS

Right you are Joyce! We are all plant lovers! So, what I found yesterday and today (hehe) will satisfy any garden lover!

(Tracy) Lk Pan, FL(Zone 9a)

That's what I'm banking on Julie! Going to the UCF Botanical Gardens annual succulent and cactus sale tomorrow then to the largest flea market in central FL on Monday! Gonna be huge being on Labor Day!

(susie) Hastings, MI(Zone 5a)

oh you gals are way ahead of us Well of me anyway there is nothing happening around our area . so I have not a clue yet till I get my partners name then I will go saling :)

Springfield, OR(Zone 8a)

No mega plant- or yard-sales here either. Probably just as well, for my pocketbook's sake. But there's Saturday Market!

Ocean Springs, MS

If I may, Please vote in the county fair! I voted for DJ! AND I ENTERED MY ORANGE JELLY IN THE PRESERVED FOODS! tHANKS!

BELLEVILLE, IL(Zone 6b)

Hey woman! what about the rest of us entering stuff!?!?! lol ;)

Bessemer, AL(Zone 8b)

can i have your recipe for orange jelly? it sounds good

(Linda Kay) Amarill, TX(Zone 7a)

I voted too!

Did all my voting,, hope I did not miss anyone. Susie sure wish I could get one of your chicks!

Pops.. Thought I was in the September chat thread,,, lol

Sign me up here please!

Bessemer, AL(Zone 8b)

gotcha elfie

TabacVille, NC(Zone 7a)

Look at all the names joining!! All quality folks!

Bessemer, AL(Zone 8b)

morning sis

Ocean Springs, MS

Badcat, got my voting done for you, too! )

Jaye, thanks for the compliment about us being "quality folks"! But we can get a little mischievous sometimes! Right, Badcat? LOL

TabacVille, NC(Zone 7a)

Well it's impossible not to have any mischief in this swap. The hostess is queen of mischief!!! So, who needs a boring swap?

I beez quality??? Wow... THANKS!

TabacVille, NC(Zone 7a)

Yes you are Kris.. crazy quality!!! Lol.. we all are!!

BELLEVILLE, IL(Zone 6b)

julie I dont know what your talkin bout lol ;)

(Tracy) Lk Pan, FL(Zone 9a)

Julie, I need your orange jelly recipe too! And anything else you have that uses any kind of citrus. It's an orange invasion down here. They float by in the water, fall off of the trucks at every corner...we even have an orange juice plant that you can smell for miles. My parents packed so much citrus in their trunk last year it made the car squat!

Badcat: is that Margarita Jam you made one of what you brought to me ??? this spring ?
Lots of THUNDER All around us tonight no rain YET . Had rain earlier this morning was nice so i hope we get a bit more then I can get my plants out of the ground this weekend for my boxes :))) ya all have a great eve.

Ocean Springs, MS

I want rain!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This has been a really dry summer for us!

Sending orange jelly recipe to Flogro and JKJ! It is so good. And it can be spiced up to glaze chicken and pork or used in marinades!

2 (6 ounce) cans frozen orange juice concentrate
2 1/2 cups water
1 (1.75 ounce) package powdered fruit pectin
4 1/2 cups white sugar
6 half pint canning jars with lids and rings

Directions
1.Place the orange juice concentrate, water, and pectin in a saucepan. Bring to a boil over high heat, stirring constantly. Once the mixture reaches a boil, add the sugar, and return to a simmer, stirring constantly. Boil hard for 1 minute, then remove from the heat and skim off any scum that has formed at the top.
2.Sterilize the jars and lids in boiling water for at least 5 minutes. Pour the jelly into the hot, sterilized jars, filling the jars to within 1/2 inch of the top. Wipe the rims of the jars with a moist paper towel to remove any food residue. Top with lids, and screw on rings.
3.Place a rack in the bottom of a large stockpot and fill halfway with water. Bring to a boil over high heat, then carefully lower the jars into the pot using a holder. Leave a 2 inch space between the jars. Pour in more boiling water if necessary until the water level is at least 1 inch above the tops of the jars. Bring the water to a full boil, cover the pot, and process for 5 minutes.
4.Remove the jars from the stockpot and place onto a cloth-covered or wood surface, several inches apart, until cool. Once cool, press the top of each lid with a finger, ensuring that the seal is tight (lid does not move up or down at all).

BELLEVILLE, IL(Zone 6b)

Yes susie..I meant to ask you, was there a baggy of dried peppers in there?? lol

Yes on the dried Peppers but no recipe . so i didn't know what to do with them :) But I have them .

Ocean Springs, MS

Badcat, I made carrot cake jelly, too! It is really good! :)

BELLEVILLE, IL(Zone 6b)

Lol! They are dried habaneros I was supposed to take to my brother Lol! He asked me about them the other day lol why I was asking. Oops haha

Julie love carrot cake jam!!!

Ocean Springs, MS

My mom loved it! Kids don't like it, of course, just because it has carrots in it! LOL

(Crystal) Waverly, AL

That carrot cake jam was great! I only have a couple tablespoons left out of a whole pint!

She did not offer me a drop either,,, whaaaa..

Bessemer, AL(Zone 8b)

nor me

Amanda would you like me to mail them to your Brother just send his address they are fine still look great they been in my freezer :) I would like to try the carrot cake recipe can you send it to my Dmail so I can save it ?

amanda I know you told me the name of the jams you shared & I forgot to write them down & Now i can't find the names please remind me again .

BELLEVILLE, IL(Zone 6b)

Naw if you know anyone that likes hot, give it to em ;) I thought I had gave them to him lol! Cherry Almond, Carrot Cake

Ocean Springs, MS

Oh, that cherry almond sounds delicious. Cherries are expensive here and we only have them from mid-July to August. Too hot to grow cherries here! Sigh!

TabacVille, NC(Zone 7a)

Sis Kathy, why isn't Jax on the list??

Bessemer, AL(Zone 8b)

Jax doesn't want to come out and play. So I sent here a special gift.

Amanda has the Fall Gourmet from Home Swap open :)

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1374699/

This message was edited Sep 8, 2014 7:56 AM

TabacVille, NC(Zone 7a)

I'll send the swap cops after Jax, Sis!!

Gonna check that out LK.

Bessemer, AL(Zone 8b)

anyone alive here? tell us about yourselves so we know how to think when we shop

I edited my first post to put my likes.

TabacVille, NC(Zone 7a)

Edited to include the Don'ts!!

(Chris), IA(Zone 5a)

Hi everyone :) Sorry I've been MIA but just got back from (hold those jealous thoughts lol) Cozumel with my DH, son and DDIL - had a great time! We did a sea turtle rescue while there (we dug into the nests to ensure no babies were left behind. We found a total of 8 that we then released and it was the most amazing thing I've ever done! I'll post a couple of pics for you to see - the first pic is me holding a baby turtle that I released; the second is the 4 of us at a seaside bar called Coconuts and the 3rd is just one of the many iguanas on the resort :)

I'm like Julie - saw a few garden things yesterday and grabbed them for my buddy as we can't go wrong with stuff for gardens, right??

I do what I call "landscape gardening" but not in the sense of what you would normally think :) My new hubby had very nice landscaping done around the house and so I've now taken that completely over, filling the areas with perennials such as day lilies (my fave!), ground covers, sedums, knockout roses, Russian Sage, etc lol. That poor man doesn't know what hit him! We did a lot of planting this year, so my spaces are just about filled up - I'm trying to figure out how to convince him to let me have some of the yard next summer lol! The problem is the easement in our backyard - where we wind up having a stream when it rains and we can't plant anything in that area that would block the flow of the water (per association rules). So we'll see what I come up with lol

I love to scrapbook - right now I'm doing the life of my oldest granddaughter who turns 18 next month. I can't decide if I want to give it to her for the birthday or her graduation next year. :)

Edited to add: I enjoy dark chocolate, spicy foods, salty snacks, specially nuts. I love garden art of just about any kind, love rustic items, wear Medium size shirts, collect ceramic cats. Favorite colors are any shades of green and blue. I don't drink coffee (don't like the taste) and I've stopped drinking anything with caffeine. Love smelly candles with a floral, vanilla, or cinnamon scent. I'm always tickled with anything that is sent to me :) thanks!

Waiting to hear from you all so I'll know what more personal things to get for my buddy!!
Have a great day!

This message was edited Sep 12, 2014 7:56 PM

Thumbnail by Dragonflys4me Thumbnail by Dragonflys4me Thumbnail by Dragonflys4me

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.