Have 3 young citris trees - been invaded and eaten by the ??

Maurepas, LA(Zone 8b)

Can you identify this slug, worm, caterpillar or whatever it is and how do I kill it? And how to protect these trees long term against it?
Please see the three pics

Thumbnail by rosieflower Thumbnail by rosieflower Thumbnail by rosieflower
Santa Ana, CA(Zone 10b)

I believe that is caterpillar of a swallowtail butterfly. Probably a citrus swallowtail. Unless they are completely defoliating your trees, I would leave them alone. If a few chewed leaves is the worst damage you have , just wait and see. Several types of scale, mealy bugs,and citrus leaf miner will really get your attention. LOL!

Contra Costa County, CA(Zone 9b)

Looks like 50% or more of the new growth is badly chewed. Not just a nip or two.
As much as I like butterflies, this one has to go.
Dipel is one brand name, Thuricide is another.
The active ingredient is specific to caterpillars. Bacillus thuringiensis.

Maurepas, LA(Zone 8b)

Thanks for the input to my question. Although different I understand both sides. I do believe I will elect to rid the trees of the problem. When they get bigger and the damage not so proportionately significant, I may wait to see the butterflies.
Have a Great Day!

Prairieville, LA(Zone 9a)

Here is some general info on citrus cultivation, pests, diseases etc. from the Ag Center at LSU.

http://www.lsuagcenter.com/en/crops_livestock/crops/citrus/Insects+that+attack+citrus+in+Louisiana.htm

http://www.lsuagcenter.com/en/crops_livestock/crops/citrus/

West Palm Beach, FL

A little later but that is definitely a Giant swallow tail buttery in the making. I have a wild lime bush to provide a host plant & food. Sometimes I’d “raise” them in a netted plastic container, large on with sides remove & screening attached. Providing fresh cut wild lime every 2 day. They will spray you with an awful stink if you get too close or irate them. It’s great watch the stages, chrysalis. When they emerge, I let them go. They’re good eater, not monarch good though! Monarch can do some damage on milkweed! Quite a few times I’ve had to hunt down milkweed or they’d starve!

Thumbnail by MaginFl Thumbnail by MaginFl Thumbnail by MaginFl Thumbnail by MaginFl

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.