August 2014 Blooms

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

The show is still going on here.
Inimitable
White House Lady
Final Touch
Francis Of Assissi
Purple Satellite

Thumbnail by HazelCrestMikeB Thumbnail by HazelCrestMikeB Thumbnail by HazelCrestMikeB Thumbnail by HazelCrestMikeB Thumbnail by HazelCrestMikeB
Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Some more!!
Ypres
Bermuda Coral
When I Dream
Sunday Gloves
Mynelle's Starfish

Thumbnail by HazelCrestMikeB Thumbnail by HazelCrestMikeB Thumbnail by HazelCrestMikeB Thumbnail by HazelCrestMikeB Thumbnail by HazelCrestMikeB
Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

More!!
Fruit Loops
Fan Club
Sherwood Gladiator
Orange Clown - gorgeous!!!
Carmen Renee

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

Real nice Mike!!!!

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

They are really nice. Some I just want for the names alone ... like 'Fruit Loops'. lol.

Your 'Orange Clown' is a real beauty!

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

CG, I got Fruit Loops because I saw a nice photo of the blooms.

BELLEVILLE, IL(Zone 6b)

Nice Mike!

Hamilton, OH(Zone 6a)

Mike, Beautiful Blooms! I haven't been taking pictures. I don't want reminders of the rust. :-)

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Thanks Badcat and TD. Badcat we miss you around here. Spending too much time with the rabbits????? LOL!!
TD, in the future when you get any plants from the rust belt try to isolate them from the main garden. I know rust travels, but if you strip the foliage off you will reduce the spread. Winter is coming, it will kill the rust. Just remember not to compost the foliage.

BELLEVILLE, IL(Zone 6b)

lol My blooms are done, just enjoying everyone elses :) I had to start harvesting seed pods between the puppy eating them and Aphid type bugs sucking the life out of pods =/ Getting the boys ready to start school and the veg garden is putting out massive amounts that have to be prepped for the freezer. Also getting ready for Fall Showing. Ill take some random pics of stuff later lol

VaRose- Cherry Icecream Smile bloom yet?? lol I wanna see another pic :D

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

Wow badcat. Flowers done blooming already?? I probably still have a couple dozen daylilies still blooming and we are not just starting to get some ripe tomatoes. Picked 4 nice large green peppers the other day and made stuffed peppers with them. Have a few eggplant ready to pick. The cucumbers won't be ready for another week probably.

BELLEVILLE, IL(Zone 6b)

Cindy, I planted ALL of my DLs this Spring/Summer. Def expecting a better show next year :) I was just happy to see actual blooms on the ones i planted this year and looking forward to seeing the ones that didnt next year. Right along with the seeds I planted. :D show me some blooms :) Heading outside Ill bbl w/ some pics

Portsmouth, VA(Zone 8a)

VaRose- Cherry Icecream Smile bloom yet?? lol I wanna see another pic :D

I did get a couple of blooms this year, just two like last year. This plant is a slow grower and not a good bloomer, remember I am in zone 8 and it wants to do nothing! LOL. I will be fertilizing a little heavier this year, could be I forgot in the fall I was dealing with rust and aphids and slugs. It was a bug party!

1-This is from last July/2013
2-This is from July 3. 2014
3-Also taken July 3 in morning sun.

Thanks for asking! :D

Thumbnail by virginiarose Thumbnail by virginiarose Thumbnail by virginiarose
BELLEVILLE, IL(Zone 6b)

Thank You!!! That DL has been stuck in my mind all spring since I seen the photo! Slow grower explains why i havent seen it on LA! ;) Bug parties suck! :( Know what your sayin about that!

DROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!!!! lol I love that bloom! Thank You Ma'am! :D

BELLEVILLE, IL(Zone 6b)

C> c> C>>>>

Portsmouth, VA(Zone 8a)

You are welcome! :)))))

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

Susan, what is that first daylily pic. It is very nice!!!

Portsmouth, VA(Zone 8a)

Thank you! Actually they are all Cherry Ice Cream Smile. The flowers just seemed to have a little more punch last year. LOL.

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Susan that's a nice one. I got Tim Bell's fall catalog yesterday. He has CIS for a good price. Not liking the fact that it's a slow increaser for you. I suspect that it will take off next year. My plants are treated with favoritism each spring. LOL!! It then trickles down to the least favorite. Not enough time in a day for me to garden and work and do the honey do list. LOL!!!
I am going to keep watch on Mia Bella Of Gascone to see how she increases.

Portsmouth, VA(Zone 8a)

Mike, you sure are a busy man, So many daylilies so little time! I did get Mia Bella Of Gascone this past spring only because Tink had crop failure and sent me this one and one other as replacement for a newer one that I had ordered. She is very fair, that's for sure. She even replaced one I had purchased last year, when I had crop failure, I told her Barbara Mandrell had rotted over the winter and she sent me a new one as a bonus. I was all smiles to say the least.
Thanks for the advice about CICS, I am really hoping next year will be better.

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

The daylilies are winding down quickly. There are still a few hanging on.

TECHNY PEACH LACE, RED RUEBEN STEVENS, DREAM QUEEN, STIR CRAZY, SPIDER TO THE FLY

Thumbnail by hemlady Thumbnail by hemlady Thumbnail by hemlady Thumbnail by hemlady Thumbnail by hemlady
Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

CAESAR'S HEAD, PRICKLED PETALS, MAPPING CAROLINA, EMMA'S GREEN GIANT, LIGHTHOUSE SATIN SLIPPER

Thumbnail by hemlady Thumbnail by hemlady Thumbnail by hemlady Thumbnail by hemlady Thumbnail by hemlady
Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

SEXY SALLY, PURPLE SATELLITE, MARGO REED INDEED, TAUNTING TAPESTRY, NEVER NEVER LAND

Hamilton, OH(Zone 6a)

Susan, Cherry Ice Cream Smiles is BEAUTIFUL! I hope it gets more vigorous with time!

Hemlady, You always have the best eye candy! :-) Thanks for sharing!
It is a sad time of year, when you see things winding down. I'm not ready for it to end, yet. Lol

(Mary) Anchorage, AK(Zone 4b)

Hi. New here. Haven't had much luck with DL's over the years but this year they are going great. I only have a few that have survived: Gordon Biggs, Last Flight Out, Corfu. But they are finally blooming and not getting all crumply and yukky so the blooms are lovely.

The bed they are in is fairly small and hasn't been split up in 2-3 years. I am reluctant to do so as I don't want to 'break something that isn't broken." But I read that 2-3 years is about the cycle to split plants. I did find that I should avoid evergreen and semi-EV as they don't seem to do well here. Dormants do well. And I generally choose earlier blooms as our season is fairly short and things that flourish in the late fall down south just don't have enough time to bloom here. That being said I have lots of blooms each day and am tempted to order some new ones just to see if I have finally figured out what they like. Distressing they only bloom for a day but as you have said, they offer new blooms each day so it makes up for it.

Mike, didn't know you were a DL guy. Lovely flowers.

BELLEVILLE, IL(Zone 6b)

Hes actually a grape guy but never has any..LOL. Welcome Mary

Now everyone know why Iv been thinking about that DL all spring! lol

Thanks cindy! Love them!

Hamilton, OH(Zone 6a)

Hi Mary, I've admired your Lilies, many times. Welcome to the daylily thread!
In your colder climate, you probably wouldn't need to divide so often. I live in zone 6 and I don't divide most cultivars that soon. It depends on how vigorous a grower the daylily is, as to how often to divide them. I have had Cerulean Star for 5 or 6 years and have never divided it. I had Baja 2 years and had to divide it. If your clumps are getting overcrowded and blooming has decreased, then you should divide. It sounds like your daylilies are just settling in real good and starting to reward you. I would not divide them yet, if I was you. When the time does come to divide them, You might want to divide your daylilies in the Spring.It will give them more time to settle their roots back in before winter.
Blomma, Could help you with daylilies hardy to your zone. She lives in zone 4, also. She's always happy to enable somebody. Lol

Thanks so much for both compliment and advice. I will leave them for now. They are certainly 'cozy' where they are but I will assume the increased and healthier blooms are indicative of 'happiness' with their situation. I does give me an idea now of what they want. I put mulch on them in the fall two falls ago and that may have contributed to their success as the mulch broke down into compost. Hard to make compost up here very fast so I mostly just mulch straw, garden clippings, bush trimmings through a grinder and spread it around. This also has mixed in kitchen scraps that have broken down somewhat in my two compost rolling bins. I figure it can't hurt and I do want to replenish the soil as I can with more than commercial fertilizer.

Portsmouth, VA(Zone 8a)

Hi Mary! Welcome to the thread. Things are winding down for me because I do not have many late bloomers. I did have one here that I just got last spring from Floyd Cove and I needed to move it, I wanted to echo the colors on my poker lily. I dug up my Bottle Rocket and in one year it had become 7 fans, I was just stunned! I planted half in my perennial bed.

Thumbnail by virginiarose

I am so encouraged to again try to expand my daylilies. Also, you are all so welcoming. Really nice. Thanks so much.

Hamilton, OH(Zone 6a)

Mary, Your Welcome! Daylilies love nitrogen. I use Epson Salt and Chickity Doo Doo on mine. A lot of people use Alfalfa Pellets that you feed to horses, for their daylilies. And lots of water.

Mike is a daylily addict, his other flowers are just daylily companions. :-) He has beautiful gardens. He also likes to grow grapes for wildlife, as Badcat mentioned. ;-)

A man of many parts I think. :)

Portsmouth, VA(Zone 8a)

And plants. LOL.

BELLEVILLE, IL(Zone 6b)

I just about choked on my coffee lol!

Sorry. ;) truly was speaking of his botanical expertise.

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

You ladies are cracking me up!!! Good thing that I had my coffee earlier. LOL!!! Very nice blooms Cindy and Susan.
Hi Mary, good to see you expanding your horizons. I got Gordon Biggs from Wild and within a few years they turned into two large clumps.
Look Here Mary - ffo today
My other two fans from a division last year also had a ffo today. She usually reblooms also.
Blast From The Past - ffo today

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Sandra Elizabeth had ffo yesterday
Roman Cohort - one of my fav this year.
Seminole Princess - ffo 8-8
North Wind Dancer
A cluster of " Boundless Beauty"

I love GB. 'ffo' ?? I will be sorry I asked but what is 'ffo?' That yellow is lovely. And so many blooms. I was thrilled to have three at a time and all very well formed. In the earlier years they were sort of crumpled up and the colors weren't distinct, especially on the lighter ones like Barbara Mitchell and Chorus Line. I don't have those any more. Just gave up on them. They were in the front gardens and perhaps didn't like it there. I was trying to grow German Iris (TBI) in one of those beds but now will focus more on the daylillies and put them toward the front where they get maximum sun. They are under a spreading crabapple tree (plus another bed - triangular shopped out from underthe tree) pretty much facing south. One under the crab which is a yellow has also bloomed. Haven't pinned it down yet as to name but only had so many. Should be able to soon. I have a few Jungle Beauty but it isn't a favorite. Last Flight Out, next to Gordon Biggs is much larger and a lovely lavendar color. Darker in our cooler temps and on and off sun.

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Speaking of "cluster".
Ruby Stella
Francis of Assisi
Surprise Lily
Red Fascination ?
Victorian Lace

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

Welcome Mary!!! FFO means first flower open.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.