Morning Glories 2014 #10

Jacksonville, AR(Zone 7b)

Helena, love all your blooms this morning, especially the pinks. The Lite China Doll
is beyond beautiful.

Gautier, MS

Thanks Linda, that's a new vine that just started to bloom.

Thanks too Jackie. I am enjoying these blooms.

Nicked and soaking more mg seeds but I think I'm just going to sow them directly in their little individual cups. Just let them germinate without me having to mess with them again.

Thanks Debra too.

This message was edited Aug 13, 2014 7:53 AM

(Debra) Derby, KS(Zone 6a)

This morning's china doll looks like the inside of an abalone, so pearlish and irredescent . Beautiful Pink Splash, too.

Gautier, MS

Debra, that is a neat description of the bloom. I see that the one branch on the vine is making the dark pink blooms. There is no white on this bloom, it's a lavender color.
And a chocolate silk bloom, I think.

Thumbnail by helenahkh Thumbnail by helenahkh

wow so that is still the China Doll? It is absolutely a surprise every day isn't it?
Dependable whites today..

Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife

Gorgeous China doll bloom Helena.
Deb, yes its a total surprise every day and what a lovely surprise.
Like the Choc Silk too.

Very pretty white blooms Debra.

Gautier, MS

Thanks Debra and Jackie. It's a nice surprise for me to see what I'm going to get from China Doll.

Love all your gorgeous white blooms Debra. Special in their own way.

Gautier, MS

So here is my China Doll from about 3 or maybe four vines, 2 in each pot.

Thumbnail by helenahkh Thumbnail by helenahkh Thumbnail by helenahkh Thumbnail by helenahkh Thumbnail by helenahkh
Gautier, MS

Here's my fav large chocolate cross,
Q117, Dany's WB, purpurea, and mauve star-splash.

Thumbnail by helenahkh Thumbnail by helenahkh Thumbnail by helenahkh Thumbnail by helenahkh Thumbnail by helenahkh
(Linda Kay) Amarill, TX(Zone 7a)

Those are amazing Helena! Just beautiful!

Sure wish the blooms would stick around longer to enjoy!

(Caitlin) Fresno, CA(Zone 9b)

Helen so what is the process you use to start the MG seeds? Nick them and then soak them in a cup of water? Or a wet paper towel?

I have the new ones from Debra that I'd like to start but I've never done anything special with the seeds, just stuck them in the ground where I want them to grow. Is there a better way?

Do you guys have advice for me on the quickest/best way to get them started?

Gautier, MS

Wifeygirl, I usually do the baggie method except for this last batch (1 1/2 tray). I nicked each seed and soaked them in their individual cups with a label overnight. Then I placed and covered them with seed starter soil in their little cups with label. Placing trays outside in sun to warm up soil and wait for germination. When I see that the seedlings are starting to climb and roots are coming out from the bottom I transplant them into bigger pots.

Baggie method, nick and soak in warm water overnight, when you see the seeds swell up I wrap them in damp paper towel with labels and place them in zip lock bags on top of my florescent light which is in my laundry room. I check them the next dayor two and if the roots have are a bit out I place them in their individual little cups under lights. This works great if I'm starting seeds in late fall or in winter or early spring. Sometimes not all seeds germinate.

Hope this helps.

Gautier, MS

Thanks Linda.

I missed 2 blooms from other vines this moring, JL and pink speckled .

Here's my tray of seeds, some already poking through the soi. So that is pretty fast, from just putting them in soil the other day.

And then this is what happens when you just aren't up to putting them into bigger pots. That's when I start loosing seedlings.

Thumbnail by helenahkh Thumbnail by helenahkh Thumbnail by helenahkh Thumbnail by helenahkh

I just stick them in a pot or cup or ground, but i forget things in baggies..
here are this am's offerings

Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife

and more hard to come to work this am

but wait, there's more.. this last one is not a morning glory.. it is a clerodendrum.. or however it is spelled..
I am still waiting for the spotted mg, and the ones I planted from Jackie, looks like the ones from Hlena are some of the above blooms and from Ronnie, too.. PPV from Jackie.

Just incredible China Doll blooms Helena. All gorgeous, no wonder this is one of my very favorite blooms.
Love your Choc cross and all the others too. Dany's WB is different, very dark.
Don't give up on the ones overgrown in tiny pots. I'd go ahead and pot them up too.

Love your gorgeous blooms too Debra, the blues are outstanding. Dropo dead version of Fuji no Monet??? on the last row. You sure hit the MG jackpot this morning.
You spelled Clerodendrum correctly. It has 2 accepted spellings/ the other one is Clerodendron

To our new thread http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1372003

Linda,new thread

This message was edited Aug 14, 2014 2:42 PM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.