August Weather, Dog Days of Summer!

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Post your weather here, good or bad.
Rain needed in MN & California.

L.A. (Canoga Park), CA(Zone 10a)

I'll get things started and post mine again since it is August weather, not July.

They are calling for a high of 97F today.

Van Nuys, California (Airport)
Updated: 5:51 AM PDT on August 01, 2014
Clear
68 °F
Clear
Humidity: 73%
Dew Point: 59 °F
Wind: Calm
Pressure: 29.89 in (Steady)
Visibility: 10.0 miles
UV: 0 out of 16
Pollen: 3.80 out of 12

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

82 degrees now
80% humidity
T-storms around ,,
mostly cloudy

Mountain View, HI

We got the rain and humidity. Started at about 9am with a warm misty drizzle. As the plume of tropical moisture reached the islands the rain got heavier and it is really coming down in Hilo at 2pm. Good place to be is our annual Orchid Show.
Should rain all afternoon and evening and then hopefully will be clearing tomorrow morning. But of so humid.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

66 degrees now
Thundershowers , lightning , thunder , Heavy rain ,
Everyone is up and awake , So go who else is now ? ,, . he , he , ha , ha.

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

Jackson Ms. 73*, 88% humidity, 0 for a breeze. I see t'showers west of me on the Mississippi River, But light hazy sky here.

Air conditioner guy stood us up and didn't show yesterday. DH found another company that would come out today, hopefully. It was 84F in the house but it was the hottest 84F I have ever felt.

They are calling for a high of 94F today. They are calling for a 20% chance of showers and thunderstorms tonight and tomorrow. Reports like that just make me laugh.

Updated: 5:51 AM PDT on August 02, 2014
Clear
69 °F
Clear
Humidity: 78%
Dew Point: 62 °F
Pressure: 29.86 in (Steady)
Visibility: 9.0 miles
Pollen: 4.30 out of 12

We got a trace of rain. It is 73F with 82% humidity. it feels like a steam room. It doesn't feel like here. DH said it feels like Missouri. There are some very dark clouds to the southwest. I'd like to see some real rain and a thunderstorm.

Updated: 5:51 AM PDT on August 03, 2014
Mostly Cloudy
77 °F
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 71%
Dew Point: 67 °F
Wind: 4 mph from the West
Pressure: 29.89 in (Falling)
Pollen: 4.70 out of 12

Mountain View, HI

Its getting a little too exciting this year. Hurricane Iselle is heading our way to give us tropical storm conditions, or heavy rain next Thursday or Friday. Immediately behind Iselle is another system not yet named that may follow two or three days after Iselle. Good chance the systems will pass slightly to the south of us so we will not get the full effects.

Right now things have settled down. We should have three of four days of great Hawaiian weather!

This is the first year we feel the need to get prepared. Buying tarps, water, put the chainsaw and gas in a protected place, list supplies to grab. We have two 40' storage containers next to the house so one will be a shelter.

We had hurricane hit Hawaii in the 1980s and 1990s and both started with the letter "I".

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Feels good right now. Rained all morning so we don't have to deal with the dusty roads for a day or 2. Lol. Am using phone right now. Computer acting up and can't get fixed til hopefully tomorrow. Been hot and sultry in the 80s. Last year we would have rejoiced at 80s. This year since it's been so cool we're complaining. Lol

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

About the same as above , after all the 60 and 70 degree weather cloudy , partly sunny with that previous weather , It is 86 degrees and a Blazing full long day of Sunshine ,, It Is Hot !!!
Rained here yesterday with the sun shining ,, An old fashioned Sun shower ,,lol

Flowers are loving it ,, vegetables are not to thrilled with it though , (weather)

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

Clear as a summer sky, all the tall cumulos disappeared- not that I saw any cloud shadows yesterday- not too hot for Tx, mid 80's. This was at dusk last nite

Thumbnail by kittriana

They are calling for a high of 89F.

Updated: 8:51 AM PDT on August 04, 2014
Scattered Clouds
74 °F
Scattered Clouds
Humidity: 71%
Dew Point: 64 °F
Wind: 4 mph Variable
Pressure: 29.98 in (Rising)
UV: 3 out of 16
Pollen: 4.20 out of 12

Mountain View, HI

Iselle is still coming but weather is great at the moment

I hope you don't get any damage.

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

Me too! Damages are awful to deal with. Home to Texas. Humidity has the lemon cukes dripping at daylite and I wonder I had one survive the damp. 77*, 96% humidity, 0 breezes. Sprinkled last nite, chance of another today...

It was 58F at 6:30 this morning. It felt good. They are calling for a high of 90F.

Updated: 6:51 AM PDT on August 05, 2014
Clear
62 °F
Clear
Humidity: 80%
Dew Point: 56 °F
Pressure: 30.01 in (Rising)
Pollen: 4.50 out of 12

Mountain View, HI

Looks like we are making the national news. If anyone looks at the projected track of our storms we are about 20 miles inland from first landfall on the East end of the Hawaiian islands.

The Big Island has not had a direct hit from a hurricane. Thinking is that our 12,000ft mountains deflect them. We shall see.

If power goes out we have no internet.

Beautiful day today.

More later.

They are calling for a high of 87F. That means it will be around 90F at my house. Thank goodness the air conditioner is working again.

Updated: 8:51 AM PDT on August 06, 2014
Scattered Clouds
65 °F
Scattered Clouds
Humidity: 73%
Dew Point: 56 °F
Wind: 5 mph from the SSE
Pressure: 30.04 in (Rising)
UV: 3 out of 16
Pollen: 4.10 out of 12

Mountain View, HI

Iselle still 500 miles away but Hurricane Warning posted 11am this morning (Is was a Tropical Storm warning earlier)
Everyone is still waiting for the traditional weakening of the storm and for it to change direction due to our mountains. However this is not happening yet.
If the storm comes over the island it will the first time the eye of any named storm has ever hit the Big Island. Homes are mostly woodframe, sheet metal roofs. Some old homes are single wall with no hurricane clips and many are post and pier.
Still have 24 hrs before weather deteriorates.
Oh don't forget Julio just two days behind on a similar track but probably miss us to the north.
Like I've said before the weather channel only takes notice of our existence for bad weather.

Got to go now, have to board up two windows!

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

microb You all stay safe .. We are watching ,,

81/60 75 F at sunset now .
Nice day , still humid .

Summer Hibiscus

Thumbnail by juhur7

They are calling for a high of 86F. Somewhere up in the mountains they got 4 inches of rain. We got nothing here.

Updated: 6:51 AM PDT on August 07, 2014
Overcast
62 °F
Overcast
Humidity: 84%
Dew Point: 57 °F
Wind: 6 mph from the SSE
Pressure: 29.97 in (Rising)
Visibility: 8.0 miles
Pollen: 4.90 out of 12

Hope u don't get damage! I'm hearing that those who live at and above 2000 feet will see 100 mph winds. Lower elevations between 60-80 mph.

Still no computer here. Should have it back next week.

Weather wise it is cooler but humid still. Had a bunch of storms roll thru last night. Dropped about 4 inches of rain on us. Clinton, mo area got abou 8.25 inches. Still under threat of more storms til tonite.

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

Sprinkles again, doggy Aug days indeed. Pant pant, under a/c naptime. 93*, 56% humidity.

Mountain View, HI

Jim Cantory from the weather channel is in Hilo - have to try for an autograph :) not really.
He was on TV this morning talking about winds at higher levels. It gets too stressful watching the weather hype on the networks.
First experience for us.If the storm stays on track the eye will pass just a few miles from us as it passes from East to West. At 11am its breezy and showers and a glimpse of sun.
Probably will lose the green houses, lots of tree debris and plant damage but that's OK.l
Oh forgot to mention we had a 4.3 earthquake this morning at the other end of the island.

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

Wow, will a quake change the flow? Hang on to your hat and dont let the debris sideswipe you!
cant get outside to tease the skeeters, but keeping an eye and ear out for you on those islands!!!

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Sounds interesting ? microb )

84 the high today
60 tonight ,
rain around , not here though ,

Thumbnail by juhur7
Mountain View, HI

Thanks for all the good words. The waiting is the worse part. Do they always come at night.

Winds still just breezy with waves of moderate rain. Jim Cantory looks like he is having fun modelling his LL Bean storm gear in Hilo.

They are calling for a high of 90F

Updated: 5:51 AM PDT on August 08, 2014
Overcast
63 °F
Overcast
Humidity: 87%
Dew Point: 59 °F
Wind: 4 mph Variable
Pressure: 29.91 in (Rising)
Visibility: 6.0 miles
Pollen: 4.30 out of 12

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

94*, 54%humidity, no breezes. Summer is in full blast here

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

No rain here. Last decent rain was June 28.
Partly sunny all day.

I feel your lack of rain pain, Bernie.

They are calling for a high of 89F.

Updated: 6:51 AM PDT on August 09, 2014
Haze
66 °F
Haze
Humidity: 81%
Dew Point: 60 °F
Wind: 4 mph from the NW
Pressure: 29.93 in (Rising)
Visibility: 5.0 miles
Pollen: 4.40 out of 12

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

101*, 38% humid. Dallas, Tx

Wouldn't want it any hotter.

Updated: 1:51 PM PDT on August 09, 2014
Clear
88 °F
Clear
Humidity: 39%
Wind: 7 mph from the ESE
Pressure: 29.91 in (Falling)
Heat Index: 88 °F
UV: 11 out of 16
Pollen: 4.40 out of 12

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Still 80's here . Sounds like red devils and pitchforks where some of you are , Remember if you see any though , your still only here ,it is just hot ! lol , Have to hear from microb about the storm ?

86 / 65 83 now here ,
humidity 77%
wind E-ENE -9 to 10 mph
UV 1 low
Pressure 30.01
Dew Point 64
Visibility 9 mi .
Partly Cloudy with a few light sprinkles around the area .

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

Last i saw they were still workin on electrical and internet links arent usually priorities.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Yes Kitt, always seems civil or population communication are the first to go , and last to be up and functioning ,,
Satellite T.V. , Mobile long distance phones , usually off a while), local radio , EMT , Enforcement , CB .. about it for a while usually ,,
I hate the Wind Whistle in Tropical Storms ,,Use to give me a headache ..

This message was edited Aug 9, 2014 8:08 PM

I hope microb doesn't have too much damage.

They are calling for a high of 94F today. We'll be indoor watching baseball by the time it gets that hot. (I don't know how people can stand to sit out and watch day games at the ballpark.)

Updated: 5:51 AM PDT on August 10, 2014
Clear
64 °F
Clear
Humidity: 87%
Pressure: 29.93 in (Rising)
Visibility: 5.0 miles
Pollen: 5.00 out of 12

It was interesting watching the newsafter the stormhit. It literally hit a brick wall when it hit the mountain. Stalled out then fell from a hurricane to a tropical storm. Still alot of damage thou.

Humid right now. Around 75. Rain thus morning noew sun shines.

Sorry for bad spelling. Still on phone and not working with my fingers today.

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Sorry Kelli, but the good Lord blessed us with a ½" of rain this afternoon. I hope you get some soon.
Sun is out now & 73º.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.