Need help with ID

Apple Valley, CA

I purchased this cactus at Home Depot last year. It was labeled as Trichocereus Purpureopilosus. However, it does not look anything like the photos of Purpureopilosus that I have seen. Does anyone have an idea what this might be?

It's difficult to tell from the photos but the plant is about 5 to 6 inches in diameter.

This message was edited Jul 24, 2014 10:43 AM

Thumbnail by valkyrie46225 Thumbnail by valkyrie46225
Chandler, AZ(Zone 9b)

Yeah - that one doesn't look quite right for Echinopsis lamprochlora (=Trichocereus purpureopilosus). I also obtained mine at Home Depot last year (HDs and Lowe's seem to have one or two at most locations in the valley lately...that and Trichocereus poco [=Echinopsis tarijensis ssp totorensis]).
Here's a photo of mine (a little stressed right now with our temps...quite understandable!).

Not sure what yours is. I supposed it could be just an abnormal E. lamprochlora that will eventually grow into a truer form, but with HD (Altman) plants, it could be a major ID error too.

HDs always have a decent number of Cleistocactus tupizensis available each Spring, but this year, many obtained 1 or 2 plants labeled as Cleistocactus tupizensis that were clearly NOT a Cleistocactus at all - they were Echinopsis angelesii!!

HDs errors are sometimes definitely to our benefit! = )
I hope you are able to ID your plant - would be good to find out what it is!
Good luck!

Thumbnail by Minime8484
Apple Valley, CA

Xenomorph thank you. It does look very similar to that. You seem to have quite an expertise when it comes to identifying cacti. I guess I will find out for sure when/if it flowers.

Minime8484, yours looks like the genuine version. I bought mine more for the way it looked than the name but now that I've seen yours, I hope to find the real thing. I'll keep looking.

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9b)

Thanks, valkyrie46225.

Mesa, AZ(Zone 9b)

Valkyrie 46225 was spot on with this comment to Xenomorf: "You seem to have quite an expertise when it comes to identifying cacti".
Yes indeed, Xeno has an amazing talent for identifying cactus and he makes that talent available to all who post looking for an ID and in the process helps us all become a little smarter.
Thank You Xeno for all the help you give us.

Read more: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1369654/#ixzz38mN7C79C

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9b)

Thanks 48flash.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.