The Great American Agave Bloom 2014

Dearborn Heights, MI(Zone 6a)

The Great American Agave Bloom 2014
Matthaei Botanical Gardens

http://www.lsa.umich.edu/mbg/happening/agave2014.asp?utm_source=Homepage&utm_medium=Carousel&utm_campaign=SliderLinks

An 80-year-old American agave (Agave americana) is beginning the slow process of blooming for the first---and last---time in the conservatory at Matthaei Botanical Gardens. The agave flower stalk is now over 26 feet high and bristling with hundreds of flower buds. This agave follows its own rules but should bloom in late June-early July and continue for several weeks. After that, the parent plant will die but not before leaving behind some genetically identical "pups."
I am returning this week, as the flowers are opening.
Some images I took beginning of July:

Thumbnail by DaylilySLP Thumbnail by DaylilySLP Thumbnail by DaylilySLP Thumbnail by DaylilySLP
Decatur, GA

Nice reporting. I grew up in A2 and would love to be there now to see this sight.
I am looking forward to more pictures.
My brother/nieces are mad Redwing fans too, btw.

Oviedo, FL(Zone 9b)

Amazing pictures.
Martha

Baja California, Mexico(Zone 11)

It's funny because that agave is considered almost a weed around here (it certainly spreads like one)... goes to show how climate can change your perspective. I remember when an agave like this bloomed in a bot garden I visited in Sweden, and it was quite an event. The inflorescence was pretty huge.

I never tire of seeing agave flowers, with all the drama and scale that's part of the package.

Born in A2, haven't been back in a while.

Camano Island, WA(Zone 8a)

I just went to the web link to get an update. Very impressive! Thanks for sharing.

Oviedo, FL(Zone 9b)

I believe they had one at the New York Botanic Garden a few years back where they had to take out some of the ceiling glass to let the inflorescence through.
Martha

Decatur, GA

Interesting Baja, finding another AnnArborite in the C&S forum. I was back this past spring for my daughter's graduation (yeah!). It really hasn't changed all that much. I was there mostly in the 1960s.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.