2014 lilies

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Another beautiful Lily Garden lily?

And whoa - it does pop!

(Mary) Anchorage, AK(Zone 4b)

Yup. It was a freebie I thought I had lost. I need to move it when it is done blooming. It ended up right in the middle of no where. I swear they tunnel underground and move. I think I have another (probably grown from a scale that fell off) in another part of the garden. Will get them together.

Sopporo and Scherazade should be blooming for the first time this year but not for a while yet.

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

A little red is always nice. I think some creature took my Red Alerts. Those things are bulletproof, and they are all gone. They didn't appear in the B&D catalog but I emailed them and they are on the "hi, we didn't make the catalog but we're here" list..

Who would want to be without this? From 2012.

Thumbnail by DonnaMack
Hamilton, OH(Zone 6a)

Beautiful Eye Candy! I love everyone of them.

There is a daylily called Tom Pouce. It's a 2011 registered evergreen.

I need to go check out the Lily Farm. You guys are making me want some new lilies. :-)

I seem to have quite a few yellow orange and full on red shorter and taller lilies. One is about 24" tall or so and looks almost iridescent. Brighter in the center than on the ends of the petals and just shines. And it multiplies wonderfully.

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

Some of my lilies from the summer... love them all. So many beauties here. Lilies are so colorful and most eye popping beauties.

Thumbnail by gardenlady123 Thumbnail by gardenlady123 Thumbnail by gardenlady123 Thumbnail by gardenlady123 Thumbnail by gardenlady123

all lovely. Especially the last one. Well, maybe the first one. Well maybe..... lol

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

Thanks. I enjoy growing all I can in my kinda shady garden/ yard. Loved looking at all the lilies here. Almost all mine done now! :(

I'm still waiting on several. I think they will make it before freeze up.

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

I do have one1 more yellow one first full year in my yard. The last one with buds on it. Sad. It is so chilly here today. So will not be soon for it to open. So dreary.

Yes. Here too We need a couple of nice warm sunny days to start them all popping.

Here are a few of the new blooms:
L auratum Gold Band
Garden Affair

and I startling NOID. I have never seen this before. No clue where it came from. Anyone care to try identifying. It has multiple black round seeds at the juncture of bloom stem and main stem

Thumbnail by Oberon46 Thumbnail by Oberon46 Thumbnail by Oberon46
Oostburg, WI(Zone 5b)

Tiger lily with bulbils?

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/1025/

It can be invasive. I pulled out hundreds of seedlings when I lived in NW IA. DMIL had a patch of lilies which I inherited. After removing all the seedlings, I sprinkled Preen around the flowering stalks and that took care of the seedling issue.

This message was edited Aug 16, 2014 9:20 PM

Lexington, MA(Zone 6a)

Or is it this:

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/1028/

I understand that the native turks cap lily has a green star in the middle of the flower, among other differences. Given the opportunity I would grow the native "superbum" ( makes me laught to think of it as a bum). The native lily helps swallowtail butterflies, and I can't say what ecological benefits the Asian tiger lily offers. Both have a propensity to attract aphids, and of course the dreaded RLB. I admire them but have opted not to push my luck regarding staying free of pesticides in the back yard.

Oostburg, WI(Zone 5b)

Does the superbum have bulbils? If it doesn't, that would make it easy to determine which lily it is.

I found this on BD Lilies. Maybe I should dig it up. Have no idea where it came from. Really weird.

http://www.bdlilies.com/s160.html

Typhoid Mary of lilies??? Just what I need.

Oostburg, WI(Zone 5b)

That's the same lily that I linked above. I would remove it if you have other lilies. If it is the superbum, I would keep it. I don't know how to tell the two apart but there must be something that would show the difference. That's why I wondered if superbum has bulbils; if it doesn't, then you know this is the tiger lily you don't want.

Lexington, MA(Zone 6a)

I don't have the superbum myself but one place I read said it has bulbils. I'd just buy the superbum and grow that to really find out. Certainly the plant habit and leaf must be different.
Perhaps the eventual size is a give-away as the superbum can be over 5 feet tall when mature.

Oostburg, WI(Zone 5b)

I looked at the superbum pics again in Rosemary's link. Look at the leaf pattern here.
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/256121

This is very different from the Tiger lily leaf pattern seen here...
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/19430/ and here...
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/117116/
Some bulbils can be seen in the above pic as well.

This leaf pattern should help ID the NOID lily. :) Which do you think it is, Mary?

L. lancifolium' Syn: L. tigrinum (Species or Wild Lily): Producing many black-brown axial bulbils, they are fully ripe and have already begun producing roots before dropping to the ground in the late fall. . It is not recommended to grow Lilium tigrinum if you are growing any other species as aphids will pass along numerous virus infections from Lilium tigrinum to your other plants. This is a “Typhoid Mary” in the garden.

Since mine has the bulbils I am rather certain it is the one I DO NOT want in my garden. I am digging it up and putting it in the trash.

Oostburg, WI(Zone 5b)

bummer! sure would have been a nice surprise to be 'gifted' with a superbum, eh?

Yeah. But not worth the risk. And I really like it. So different from all my others.

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

Oh I lovetiger lilies also. Yes they do drop the babies everywhere. I did the yanking out thi g also! Lol. Had no idea they did that. Oh well live and learn.

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Hey Mary, look at my thread above with a similar lily. Two people sent me lilies that I put in pots, and
you were one of them, although the other person thought it might be her, since she has some lilies that look like it. I thought I put your speciosums in blue terra cotta pots, and only one of them bloomed last year. Have a look.

I put it in a pot in a bed. It dropped some bulbils, but I can get them.

Since you thought it was speciosum alba, maybe it was sold to you that way.

No harm done - it's in a pot in the back yard, away from other lilies, and I'll just collect the bulbils in the bed..

I thought my bulbs bloomed, but even if it was only one it would have confirmed that it was a speciosum.. I had them for at least two years, maybe three and while they formed buds they never opened. I guess it would be possible that one was a tiger? Odd though that one just now turned up in my beds.

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

No bulbils in the bed, so not to worry. That's the beauty of planting some lilies in pots and then simply putting the pots in the beds. My speciosum is taking a breather too. Buds are very late, but that's OK.

My first speciosum Uchida is blooming. Those didn't work in pots - I did that last year. So I ordered a couple in spring and got my first flower yesterday. I acidified the soil for them. If they overwinter well in the ground I may put all of them, including yours from last year, in the ground. It is on the south side of the lawn.

Some plants do better in the ground than pots. I overwintered rose Enfant du France in my former garage and it would never rebloom. I put this one in the ground and it's blooming like clockwork. It always has flowers or buds. I find that my rose Gruss an Aachen bloomed well in pots but is insane in the ground.

I missed, by days, the B&D web only offer on six six speciosums each of Uchida and alba. But I did reorder Red Alert, and threw in a couple of Silk Road. I used to have four and now I have two - moved them around too much. I am putting them close to baptisia australis, a combo I had at home. Baptisia tends to support the stems, and it also hides them, which I think is great, because I don't find them attractive. The second pic shows the effect I want.

Also, I preordered White Henryis and platyphyllum from Scott at OHG. Gotta put 'em somewhere!

Thumbnail by DonnaMack Thumbnail by DonnaMack
Lexington, MA(Zone 6a)

Keep up the inspiration, gals! Is that last lily Silk road, donna?

Oostburg, WI(Zone 5b)

I'm guessing you are correct as that is exactly what my Silk Road looks like. One that did not grow for me at all was Rosepoint Lace. I do like that one so may have to reorder it.

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Sorry, just got home. Yes, that is Silk Road, which I didn't really appreciate as I should have until a got a freebie from The Lily Garden, and then Wayside was essentially giving them away. It was very hot with people who had no real interest in lilies and they would display it stuck out in pots in front of their houses so all you saw was stem, Which ave me the idea to bury them stem in something else - trick I did with all my lilies.

Oh, do I miss Rosepoint Lace. I combined it with Campanula Bernice and grasses at my former home, and Judith has stopped offering it. I lost my last one two years ago to moving it twice. Such a special lily!

I just think Silk Road looks like it's playing peek-a-boo. I'm growing two baps so I can do it again!

Thumbnail by DonnaMack Thumbnail by DonnaMack Thumbnail by DonnaMack
Oostburg, WI(Zone 5b)

Oh, she is a beauty! My Silk Road bloomed for the first time this year, just two blooms. Hoping for a big increase next year.

Lexington, MA(Zone 6a)

Looks great in contrast to the house's siding too. Those campanulas are terrific.

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Ha ha! Neighbor's house! My neighbor had a huge grey house that was a sensational backdrop to my garden. She also had a huge white arbor. Fabulous framing for my white and pink roses. Made for great photography. My house was barn red, and they were trying to build what they stated was the biggest house in my community. Happily it was on an angle to mine, angled to the back, while mine was flush to the front. I love that they used that color. It went with color that I loved.

Here was my sweet little house from the Village Green through the maples in front of the house on the parkway. Hers would be to the left if you could see it, with a LOT of yard in between, on which I put a billion plants. Because the house wasn't absorbing the lot and, in fact, had a ten foot easement on the other side, giving me one of the biggest planting zones in the community with only a 2,000 square foot house.

And once I packed the yard between our homes with crabapples and viburnums and smokebushes, great privacy. Much better than a fence. Essentially impenetrable, easy to maintain and fun! Had to do it, because despite the fact that their house was huge and packed with stuff, she didn't have window coverings for three years, and they would sit in their dining room and stare into our sunroom at us!

Thumbnail by DonnaMack Thumbnail by DonnaMack
Lexington, MA(Zone 6a)

Nice looking neighborhood, Neighbors can make such a difference, though.

Scherazade opened up. Pretty short, only about 24" tall. Three years in the ground. huh...

Muscadette. The markings are quite pale compared with the inline pics at TLG.

Thumbnail by Oberon46
Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Yes, they are, but wow, it's gorgeous!

My speciosum Uchida are continuing to open. I only bought two, but I put them very close together so they look like mini-bouquet. Speciosum alba is being quite shy. I am going to "unpot" it and put it in the ground.

It's just stunning that they are blooming now with the roses and the ornamental grasses and the mirabilis. I was always told to grow speciosum for fall blooming, but this baby loves mid to late August here.

I took another picture this afternoon and it is darkening somewhat. But still more delicate than the online version.

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Speciosum Uchida is hanging on and on, to my delight. The individual flowers last a long time, while new ones keep opening. Why did I only order two> Why are they sold out at B&D?

I'm having a lot of fun with annuals - well many of them are tender perennials. They provide a lot of fall color in the midwest. Mirabilis jalapa in fuschia (makes a big old statement) salvia elegans (it will bloom in about a month), feverfew tetra strain, borage in blue and white. Way in the back is a pink mirabilis/ I have a bunch of first year grasses, and these guys take up the slack.

Maked it really clear to me how much I like "cool" colors.

Thumbnail by DonnaMack

I had some Karl Forester grass which I dug up after a few years. It was sending seeds all over my yard and grass was erupting everywhere. I could have cut the seed heads off but that is part of the fall/winter attraction. So how do you keep the grass babies from infiltrating your beds.

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Now THAT's weird. I had two "Karls". They never seeded. But chasmanthium latifolium (northern sea oats) - love it, but it seeds everywhere. I brought a small plant from home and I am about to replant about 40 seedlings. Is that the one you mean? In the pic, Karl is to the right and northern sea oats is to the left.

The other one that starts to seed after about five years (you have to dig out the plantlets) is the original popular chinese fountain grass with the impossible name of pennisetum alopecuroides. A gorgeous thing. four were installed for me and I added about six. The bloom is gorgeous (second picture, but you can see that).

Fun to photograph, and for me that's always a plus! I loved the see through effects.

For me, miscanthus, although they bloomed wonderfully, didn't seed except for Silberfeder. A nice basic grass, and landscapers loved it, but it tends to flop, and after a few year (for me it was ten or so years). I would find the plants growing elsewhere. Unlike Bluttenwunder, which didn't seed, and I found it a lot sexier. You tell me - in the last photo silberfeder is on the right and Bluttenwunder baby on the left!

Thumbnail by DonnaMack Thumbnail by DonnaMack Thumbnail by DonnaMack Thumbnail by DonnaMack Thumbnail by DonnaMack

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.