Lilies: 2014 lilies, 1 by DonnaMack

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright DonnaMack

In reply to: 2014 lilies

Forum: Lilies

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of 2014 lilies
DonnaMack wrote:
Now THAT's weird. I had two "Karls". They never seeded. But chasmanthium latifolium (northern sea oats) - love it, but it seeds everywhere. I brought a small plant from home and I am about to replant about 40 seedlings. Is that the one you mean? In the pic, Karl is to the right and northern sea oats is to the left.

The other one that starts to seed after about five years (you have to dig out the plantlets) is the original popular chinese fountain grass with the impossible name of pennisetum alopecuroides. A gorgeous thing. four were installed for me and I added about six. The bloom is gorgeous (second picture, but you can see that).

Fun to photograph, and for me that's always a plus! I loved the see through effects.

For me, miscanthus, although they bloomed wonderfully, didn't seed except for Silberfeder. A nice basic grass, and landscapers loved it, but it tends to flop, and after a few year (for me it was ten or so years). I would find the plants growing elsewhere. Unlike Bluttenwunder, which didn't seed, and I found it a lot sexier. You tell me - in the last photo silberfeder is on the right and Bluttenwunder baby on the left!