2014 lilies

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Hello everyone. OCCAROL started the 2013 version of this with her First bloom 2013 thread.

I would like to start 2014. Please join me in posting your wonderful lilies.

My first one was Regale, but I didn't catch it. This is my second, Prince Promise, a longiflorum oriental. The third lily for me, a striking red orange lily was in a pot over winter, and I have no idea what it is, but it's source is either Mary, who also sent me speciosum, or a lovely mistake from B&D. Can anyone identify it?

Thumbnail by DonnaMack Thumbnail by DonnaMack Thumbnail by DonnaMack
Hamilton, OH(Zone 6a)

My favorite this year has been Asiatic Pop Star Lily Allen. It's beautiful and really stands out!

Thumbnail by taylordaylily
(Mary) Anchorage, AK(Zone 4b)

I mailed a lot of bulbs last year and one of them looked a lot like your third. Just don't remember if you wanted any of them. Sunset something or other....

I looked it up. it was Royal Sunset. Sure looks like it.

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

It looks like Royal Sunset, which B&D also has. I put your lilies in a pot, and speciosum Uchida in a pot. Happily, I also put three more Uchidas in the ground. I think I winall around. It's an absolutely stunning lily, an LA. Because of where I have it, the color intensity is amazing.

I think I win all around!

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Oh cool! We just crossposted!

LOL.

I just noticed this on the right hand column of Dave's Garden in the horoscope section. Reminds me of my neighbors here

Today's Hortiscope: If your friend really doesn't have a green thumb, you can always suggest a rock garden.

I cut and pasted this and just noticed the 'hortiscope'. Didn't get it at first.

Lexington, MA(Zone 6a)

Hi all. Just following Donna's link over to here. Here's my meager effort. Two asiatics are here. London has had its day. Now Landini and Mango.

Thumbnail by RosemaryK Thumbnail by RosemaryK

Here is a little fellow. An Asiatic called Sunny Joy

Sorry.

Thumbnail by Oberon46

this isn't a lily but was such an interesting picture; contrast between the unopened dark ligularia on the left and the bright gold of the trollius on the right. Well there are a lot of unopened lilies in there also

Thumbnail by Oberon46
Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Sunny Joy is very sweet!

Hi Rosemary. Welcome aboard!

Lexington, MA(Zone 6a)

Thanks. Fingers crossed for good lilies all around this summer. Hopefully the University of Rhode Island has done its job releasing those wasps to get the RLBs that have so plagued the northeast.

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

I was reading about the work of the University of Rhode Island, and it's interesting that they found that lilium speciosum 'Uchida' has some natural resistance. One of my favorites. Lilium 'Henryi' too.

The beetle has not reached the midwest, to my knowledge. We are very spread out here, and sadly (fortunately?) there are very few lily growers here. Mine are the only ones I see for miles, and I run around the city, past homes, every day.

Lexington, MA(Zone 6a)

Yes, I make a point of getting lilies they list as resistant and then take a few chances. Uchida gets a bit lost among the larger plants, so it needs a better home. Anything that has very fleshy leaves seems to stand up pretty well, so the orienpet towers look fine minus a few leaves. It helps that my neighborhood hasn't been planting lilies either. You'll be amused by the shrub rose count, and the huge expanse of stella doro DLs at the gas stations. I do find the RLBs on the ground as I am on vacation gardening this week.

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Sorbonne bloomed yesterday. Boom! Weird - my orientals are blooming before my longiflorum asiatics (Red Alert is in bud). I got six of these from B&D last year. This is supposed to be Dianna's favorite pink Oriental, and it's very reliable. I put three in sun and three in less light and the difference was so great I moved the ones in less light to full sun.

And, oh my, the fragrance!!!!

Thumbnail by DonnaMack
Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Two more are going to open. And Prince Promise is nearby, with it's third bulb opening. It's a pink explosion! I had no idea. I was just moving lilies to my sunniest area with no real idea of bloom time. But I love the effect of doing three of two lilies. I used to plant them further apart. No more of that!

Thumbnail by DonnaMack

I love the trumpets. I can hardly wait til mine start but I think I have at least a few weeks to go. I guess I tend toward the white and yellow shaded ones rather than pink. Not sure why as the pink ones are beautiful. Never met a lily I didn't love.

Oostburg, WI(Zone 5b)

on the dark side...

Thumbnail by kooger

Beautiful combination with the white. Looks like Dimensions although there are many dark lilies now.

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Wow! Stunning! Thank you! I ordered Dimensions and it is in the ground and yet to bloom but I really didn't know what it looked like. And now I have an idea.

I love this combo. Very dramatic!

Oostburg, WI(Zone 5b)

I'm not sure which this one is, I can do some checking if you want to know the exact name. Here's the whole group...

Thumbnail by kooger

What is coming up between the lilies? More lilies or something else?

Oostburg, WI(Zone 5b)

Boltonia between and delphs behind.

Here comes Arsenal

Thumbnail by Oberon46
Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Come on down, honey!

LOL

Noid from Lowe's

Thumbnail by Oberon46
Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

It really sparkles!

It does. I wanted some color and just an inexpensive lily at each end of the crescent bed in with theSsiberian Iris, so when the iris died down, I had something else. Peonies in that bed are about finished, poppies are blooming along with cosmos but dahlias not yet blooming in that bed. Only in two of the others and then only four of them.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Wow. Beautiful lilies, one and all. ♥

Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener
Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Gorgeous, Cville! Wonderful lilies and great photography.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Thank you, Donna. I have to give the credit to the subjects. lol. My photography is usually very hit and miss. :)

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Blueberry Crush, a new Orienpet. It got slightly dinged by a grass, but it is still out there saying hi!

I'll need to move it later in the year.

Thumbnail by DonnaMack

beautiful; blueberry crush indeed. Where is you get it. If it is an Orienpet it must be huge.

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

I just checked my source. It is, unfortunately, Faraway Flowers, and my link to it gets no results. The only other source, if you google it, is a person who used to be on this thread who is on ATP, and was actually the person who started me with Faraway Flowers and Buggy Crazy (also gone!) or a British website. And I only ordered one bulb. I consider myself fortunate, because the part of my order that couldn't be filled was for Bellsong, which is available at B&D.

Wow, I am going to have to take very good care of the bulb.

It is big, but in no way vulgar. The flower is close in size to 'Silk Road' but the stem is much slimmer .

What dumb luck!

I'm still trying to find another source for 'Champagne', a stunning lily I got from Buggy. It only lasted one season, but it was wonderful, as you can see!

Thumbnail by DonnaMack

I remember seeing Blueberry Crush at TLG now that you mention it. Really unusual looking. And I love champagne.

I googled The Lily Garden and it does bring up the site but BC isn't listed.

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Second bloom on orienpet Blueberry Crush (I asked miscanthus graziella to move out of the way but she said nah! - move the blasted lily!

The second lily is Dimension, a fragrant longiflorum asiatic I got for the ridiculous price of $3.00 each, or three or more for $2.50 each at Hallson's Nursery, which is best known for hostas. But they sent me four! Strong stems. Note that this first year lily (the one to one side of it hasn't opened yet) has four buds! I don't recall what the lily behind it is in the third picture but I'm sure I'll find out!

And the fourth picture is my ever reliable (and out of commerce!!!) trumpet Silver Sunburst. I have to thank Scott at Old House Gardens for this one. I ordered Black Dragons that never appeared (and apparently true stock of Black Dragon is also out of commerce) and he sent me this instead. It's so prolific I have given away five over time.

And Mary, you wrote on another thread that you wanted to start growing lilies in clusters to see what they looked like. The fifth picture shows five (of six) second year stems of Sorbonne. B&D were blowing them out last year. It's supposed to be Diana's favorite pink lily, and it is incredibly easy to grow. I moved three in bloom last year. And did I mention the scent? I brought a single flower into the house, and while not being kick you in the head strong, I could smell it upon entering the room three days later.

Thumbnail by DonnaMack Thumbnail by DonnaMack Thumbnail by DonnaMack Thumbnail by DonnaMack Thumbnail by DonnaMack
(Pam) Warren, CT(Zone 5b)

Beautiful, all your lilies! I love seeing all the gorgeous pictures, but no more lilies for me...

I lost my Asiatics this year to the little red devils, Red Lily Beetles. I didn't see them early, then got busy elsewhere. Just as we left one Monday morning the first bloom was opening. While we were gone they struck en masse. By Friday nothing was left. I've been spraying the Tigers and Casa Blancas, but can only do it late in the day after the bees leave. And last weekend we had a ton of rain, so no spraying. We'll be back on Friday, I don't know what will be left.

I do have Black Beauty on order for the fall, they're supposed to be more resistant. Right now I feel like canceling. :-(

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.