Aloe, is this one a miniature?

Valley Village, CA

I just found out today that all miniature Aloe have a sweet perfume. I asked a dumb question and got a smart answer from John Trager of the Huntington Gardens. I had never noticed before that my miniatures had a wonderful perfume like smell. Now I will stop and smell the flowers on all my succulents. Now I know why real growers all smell the flowers, empty out the pots to check the roots, feel the leaves. It helps them really see the plant. Norma

Muncie, IN(Zone 5B)

Norma's observations often make the difference between a real grower and a collector who wants one of everything and doesn't really appreciate what he/she has. Looking at the roots, even before you buy, can go a long way in telling you how to care for the plant. I use a magnifying glass to look at the leaves and flowers of every plant I buy - even the plainest leaf is fascinating. And by looking at the flower closely, even seeing when it opens and closes, helps you to imagine what critter pollinates it, as well as helping you to pollinate the plant yourself. Be sure to smell the flower at different times during the day (or night) because many plants have a scent for only a short time -- the time when the critter that pollinates it is out and about. Don't just put it on the sill and look at it every now and then -- enjoy it!!
Patrick

Valley Village, CA

Oops! I goofed. Only two of the Aloe have the perfume.

Today I received a lovely little package of plants, One Hoya leaf another a Ceropegia. Thank you.
The Hoya should root in moist sand this time of year, so far I have been pretty lucky, but our weather is turning cold quickly this time of year. We have Autumn here, the Liquid Umber? leaves are turning color, my plumb tree has turned color, and the Japanese persimmon leaves have turned a bright 'CampFire' red. Norma

Valley Village, CA

Aloe Haworthioides, it is the second one that has a wonderful sweet perfume. Mine passed on. Norma

Sodwana Bay KZN, South Africa

Aloe modesta is the only one from the African continent with fragrant flowers. The others are in Madagascar. :-)

Muncie, IN(Zone 5B)

Maddy --
Are there any aloes, fragrant or otherwise, that you would recommend? I have 27 aloes so far but, like with all succulents, would like to have more. Most of my succulents are from South Africa - lots of haworthias, lots of mesembs, especially conophytum, lithops. I would love to go to your country to see them in habitat, especially the Western and Northern Cape Provinces. Hopefully within the next 2 years. Any tips for a would-be traveler to your country?

Regards,

Patrick

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.