Unusual plant at farmers market

Kansas City (Joyce), MO(Zone 5a)

Back in the spring I got this great strange plant. I love great strange plants. I am clueless on what it is.
It is growing, but I would like to repot it when I find out what it is.
Thank you in advance.

Thumbnail by happgarden
Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

It looks like a Huernia to me.

Camano Island, WA(Zone 8a)

Could it be a Huernia?

Thank you so much. I will look it up.

Well, that's interesting, Cville_Gardener. When I posted at 2:35, your post of 2:27 was not visible yet. That is a long lag from when you posted to when it showed up on my computer! Anyway, it looks like great minds think alike. ;-)

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

It is quite a lag. Seems things are running very slowly. I don't know how great my mind is these days but we did think the same thing so that's good. :)

My mind is sure not like it used to be. I am learning to lower my expectations. And, I tell myself that I am wiser than I used to be, which is definitely true but doesn't feel like much consolation.

Baja California, Mexico(Zone 11)

Could be Huernia, but you need a flower to really identify the plant. There are a lot of little knobby succulents like that and they are hard to tell apart otherwise. The flower may be tucked away at the base of the plant. It may also be stinky or have some sort of other odor.

As for care, you would probably want to use a rocky mix (50% pumice, perlite, or equivalent) and grow the plant on the dry side.

Thanks, there isn't a flower yet. Hope it on the line of huernia, I bought it thinking that is what it was.

Sun Lakes, AZ(Zone 9b)

It is definitely some kind of Stapeliad, but you will have to wait for a flower to tell what kind.

rofl...now I am going to be checking it constantly for a bloom...

Lisle, IL(Zone 5a)

Definitely a stapeliad, but you also have a few weeds in there as well.

Yeap on the weeds, I wanted to find out what it was so I could repot it, but without knowing what it was I didn't know what type of soil to use.

I bought a couple of them today at a nursery that are on the verge of blooming, can't wait to see them.

I love odd plants.

Me too!
I killed my Stapelia through overwatering. I assume Huernia's are similar in their needs. Anyway, the Stapelia's flower was amazing. It was enormous, and I didn't smell the odor. I must have missed the prime stink time somehow.

Thumbnail by momlady Thumbnail by momlady Thumbnail by momlady Thumbnail by momlady Thumbnail by momlady
Lisle, IL(Zone 5a)

I have nearly 40 species of stapeliads, 11 of which have bloomed, and I didn't notice the smell much except for Orbea lutea, ssp vagam which stunk from several feet away. My Echidnopsis cereiformis bloomed today; the flower is less than 1/4" across.

Thumbnail by frogymon

Frogymon, how cute! It's interesting that the smell is always foremost in writing about the Stapeliads, yet you have rarely noticed a smell. It was the same with me in that I waited while the flower opened and then aged but never noticed anything.

One of the more common members of this family, Stapelia gigantea, makes a super stinky flower. It's probably because of that. Lots of stapeliad flowers have no smell at all (to me anyway).

This message was edited Jul 2, 2014 4:46 PM

Lisle, IL(Zone 5a)

Baja, I've found my gigantea doesn't smell all that bad.

Did you smell it right after it opened? The stink sort of dissipates with time. Flies find it delightful though.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

My S. gigantea hasn't been all that smelly either. I don't suppose I'd keep it in a greenhouse or inside the house when it's in flower though. :)

Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener
Lisle, IL(Zone 5a)

Duvalia angustiloba bloomed yesterday or the day before; if wassn't for the flower stems, I might have missed the blooms.

Thumbnail by frogymon
Lisle, IL(Zone 5a)

Look at what I found hiding at the base of the plant today, Stapelianthus madagascariensis.

Thumbnail by frogymon

Oh what a cutie.... Does it smell?

Lisle, IL(Zone 5a)

Not that I noticed.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.