SUMMER WEATHER IN YOUR GARDEN

(Pam) Warren, CT(Zone 5b)

Ouch!

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Ouch! is right!!!
Going up to about 56°f today around here.

Wyoming, MN

Cold and wet here but no frost or SNOW! yet.

Gary

BELLEVILLE, IL(Zone 6b)

=o theres an eye opener.

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

Oh gosh Lilly. That's too bad that it has snowed this early for you. I did finally get all of my new irises planted. I got my Brecks order finally after emailing them and having to ask them to send it. I would never order from them again. The rhizomes were small and puny, nothing like Schreiners. Schreiners were the best.

Wyoming, MN

Not sure if I got frost overnite, but it did get into the 30's. Will have to check when things warm up.

Gary

Hamilton, OH(Zone 6a)

Cool 49 this morning! Going up to low 70's, great garden weather.

Hemlady, Sorry, to hear Breck's hasn't changed. They spend so much money on their beautiful magazine to pull us in and make us dream. Then, they send us pathetic looking, might make it rhizomes. I had the same experience with them. I had to call and ask them to ship my order, not sure when they planned on shipping it. Lol
Just wait, you'll be setting seed pods on Iris, soon. :-) It'll give you dabbing practice, early in the season. Lol

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

Oh gosh TD, I hope I don't get hooked hybridizing iris, lol. Daylilies are enough work for me right now.

Hamilton, OH(Zone 6a)

The bees started it for me, then Blomma helped them out. It always starts so innocent, then you have trays of seeds all over the place. You know how it is. :-) You see that seed pod and start to wonder. Next thing you know, you dabbing Iris pollen and dreaming. It'll happen, just give it time.

I have TB seeds and Siberian Iris seeds to play with this winter. I already planted a bunch of Louisiana Iris seeds. There are many types of Iris to tinker with. Lol

hemlady, the only place to buy irises is Schreiner. I have bought from them since the 80's and never had a problem. They are the biggest supplier and hybridizers of irise in the US. Other places buy cultivars from them also to resell, including Breck's.

Since you hybridize DL's you will do likewise with irises. It is now in your genes. LOL!. I do both without a problem since they don't bloom at the same time--- thank God.

It is 36 degrees as I write. It will be a perfect garden day at 74 degrees.

hemlady, do you trim back teh DL fans for the winter?. If so, how much?

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

No Lilly, I don't trim them. I let them die back and self mulch the plant. I know its a lot more cleanup work in the spring but after last winter I think they need a little help keeping warm, lol.

Cindy, with all your DL how do you have time to cleanup in the Spring. I do it in the Fall for I don;t have time in the Spring. I only trim back to 8" so the wind don't whip them back and forth. I ever never lost a daylily yet.

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

I do a little at a time Lilly. My back won't allow me to do too much at once. I have 6 daylily beds, that's counting the bed behind my garage and those on the sides of my house. I didn't count the seedling bed which I should have, so that would make 7 beds. I spend about 2 or 3 days on each bed and take about a 2 to 3 day rest between cleaning beds to give my back a rest. It takes me awhile especially if the weather doesn't cooperate.

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Cindy, be careful out there. I do like your approach.
Here is a useful link I came across on how to delete and manage cookies on varying operating systems (OS).
http://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/how-to-delete-cookies-in-chrome-firefox-safari-and-ie/#Chrome

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

We got a good shower early this morning. Well needed, I might add! On the cool side this morning. Going up to about 63°f.

Hamilton, OH(Zone 6a)

It was 39 this morning, going up to low 70's today. Painted Softly was just planted 3 weeks ago and bloomed this morning. It had frost on the petals at 7:30 this morning. Everybody else is hung up due to the cold morning.

Thumbnail by taylordaylily
Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

Looks like a beauty Td!!!

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Karen, i agree with Hemlady.
Final Touch bloomed yesterday, but I dare not post a pic of that ugly thing (LOL!). It definitely did not like the cold overnight temps. I posted a pic of Dragon Knife in the September Thru Fall
thread. Caesar's Head is just sitting there saying to himself, "this is not FL". LOL!!!

Karen, Painted Softly is so pretty. Love the edges.

Cindy, I have the same problem with my back. Doc gave me pain killer to take 1 hour before I do anything that will hurt my back. It help but I take it only before I dig for that really hurts my back. For minor discomfort I use Excedrin.

Still get summer weather days here but night are definitely cooler and Fall like. Plants are getting the signal from Mother Nature and are slowing down on their blooming. Here are the last of the roses and hardy Hibiscus.

Hibiscus were laate this year due to a late Summer. Roses (Floribundas) have bloomed all summer. Since they set seed pods, I trim off dying flowers which helps them to continue to bloom.

Thumbnail by Thumbnail by
Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Blomma love the grouping of the hibiscus. Refreshing!

Thanks Mike.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.