SUMMER WEATHER IN YOUR GARDEN

Cindy, Yes it does get hot here in Wyoming. It is a dry heat since humidity is low. Usually the 90's is in August. This year it began in July off and on.

How did you do on your pollinating? Did you get lots of pods? It started slow here but finally pods began to set. Had only 4 DL to do this morning. Beautiful weather to weed in at 71 degrees as I write this. I am weeding. It is long overdue since it has been so hot.

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

Seed production is going very well Lilly. By the time I harvest them all I should have at least a thousand or more.

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Lots of seeds there Hemlady.
We are going to have our hottest day of the year today. This will only be our fourth day in the nineties. Small chance of rain later.

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

It is only 82 so far but very humid. I had a 5 plant daylily order to dig and only got 3 dug. Just got to hot and with sweat dripping in my eyes, couldn't see what I was doing.

Cindy, don't you dig your orders early in the morning and/or early evening? That is when I dig. I know what you mean about sweat dripping in your eyes. It irritates mine. Tie something around your brows to stop the sweat from going in your eyes. A kerchief will do it.

Glad you got lots of seeds. I don't count seeds. It is easier to count pods. They are still maturing. This morning had only 3 DL to cross. Got plenty of Iris pods. Most are harvested.

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

Yes I do dig early. It was about 8am but I guess the humidity was high which made it feel a lot hotter. I really prefer digging when it is in the 70's. That's a lot more tolerable for me.

Wyoming, MN

A cool 56 this morning The air has dried out beautifully. Feels a lot like Fall this morning.

Gary

Hamilton, OH(Zone 6a)

Humidity 97%, high today of 90. It feels like a sauna!

Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

Sauna is the weather we have been having as well..... temps in the high 90s and high, high humidity as well!

I didn't know wyoming got that warm either, but i think I could tolerate 90s much better with little humidity. We spent two summers living in Gunnison, Co so my husband could complete his master's degree many, many years ago.... the second summer we were there the humidity was around 8-9% and people were complaining about how humid it was!! We tried to tell them we lived in a place where humidity could push 100% AND it not be raining..... not really sure they believed me. Both summers as we would drive back toward Arkansas, I remember us hitting about 1/3 - half way across Oklahoma, and when we would stop it was actually difficult to open the door on the vehicle because the air was so thick!

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

Supposed to be 90 today. It is very humid out right now.

Genna, It never used to get that hot before I moved up in 1997from Nebraska. Weather has changed. Today will be 80, then 75, 81, 82, and 87 the rest of the week. Mornings have been nice and cool in the 50's.

I can't complain about humidity here in WY. I lived in NY and Massachusetts for years. Speaking about humidity---it was 100+%. At 80 degrees, it feel a lot hotter. I visited a friend in Tennessee and just about died from the humidity. Was in Summer. My arthritis in my leg kicked in the 3rd day there. Never have a problem here or Nebraska.

You are right, people in the mid-West don't know what humidity is.

Cindy I hear you about the 70 degrees. I was digging orders this am and actually put a sweatshirt on for it was low 50's.

Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

Wow - sweatshirt weather sounds nice right about now! We got a small shower at lunch and it just created sauna like conditions!! Our weather is probably very similar to your friend's in Tennessee. When we went on vacation up north the weather was so pleasant - in the mid 70s with a light breeze. But, then I know I couldn't handle the extreme winters up there.......

I driven across quite a bit of Wyoming and thought it was great - but it was in the summer time! :) Not sure I would think the same thing in the winter. I don't mind the snow and cold in Colorado - just not sure i could get used to driving on the stuff all winter.

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

89, very windy and getting ready to storm here.

Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

The humidity is much lower here today..... still warm, but they say it is supposed to cool a little at least for the weekend which will be nice. Just to lower that humidity a little makes a big difference in how it feels outside.

Cindy, hope you don't get too much rain this time!

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

The storms went by quickly yesterday gen and we only got about l/8 of an inch of rain. Today humidity is low and only 72 degrees. Feels great out.

Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

Officially jealous here!!! They say it may be down in the upper 80s this weekend....even that sounds good! ^_^

Wyoming, MN

Gorgeous day here. But the days are sure getting noticably shorter!

Gary

Hamilton, OH(Zone 6a)

Genna, I'm in your jealousy camp. Lol No Rain here. Only thick hot muggy air. They claim we'll get a break.

Wyoming, MN

Simply wonderful. Bright sunshine mild breeze and temps in the upper 70's. Rained over the weekend so no watering to be done. Who could ask for anything more?

Gary

Wyoming, MN

A nice rain this morning, supposed to be sunny and 80 later, Been beautiful here.

Gary

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

Supposed to be near 90 for the next two days and then only in the 70's for the weekend. We have had very few days that have hit 90 this summer, which is perfectly fine with me. I am loving the cooler summer.

Wyoming, MN

They lied. It rained all day yesterday but it was a wonderful gentle kind of rain. It was great sleeping weather for a person who works nights.

Gary

Perfect garden weather in the low 70's. Somewhat cloudy off and on. Cleaned up and trimmed back both DL and iris and weeded. .

Took advantage of Schreiners sale and ordered 9 bearded irises. Their cutoff date is Sept 8 so ordered in the nick of time. I now have room

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

I have to get busy and get my iris planted. Need to clean out a bed of annuals that are still flowering so I hesitated to do that until weather cooled a bit.

Cindy, better hurry and get them planted. They need 6 weeks of growing to become established before heavy frost or they will not survive the winter due to heaving of the soil that kills roots.

When it is hot, I tackle digging during cool am and pm. The hot weather won't bother the iris. I use Miracle-Gro Quick Start planting solution to help plants grow new roots quicker.

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Speaking of Iris. This mortal shall put on "Immortality". I was surprise when I saw this blooming. I didn't noticed the flower stalk.
We got some well need rain the last couple days. We will be in the seventies for the next several days. Is this a sign??

Thumbnail by HazelCrestMikeB
Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

Lilly, if it stops raining today, I will get them planted. My order from Brecks hasn't even come yet.

Cindy, I hope it stops raining for you. Did you order Sping blooming bulbs from Brecks?

Cloudy and 47 degrees as I write. The days are shorter with cooler nights---a sure sign of Fall to be around the corner.

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

No, I ordered 6 iris from Brecks. It has stopped raining so I am hopeful that I can get the iris's I have planted today.

Hamilton, OH(Zone 6a)

Hemlady, You might want to call Breck's. They have been known to ship Iris in October. That would be too late for me in zone 6, it's way to late for you in zone 5. Good Luck!

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Raining badcats and dogs around here this morning. LOL!!
Cool weather starting tomorrow.

BELLEVILLE, IL(Zone 6b)

hardy har har lol..here too

Wyoming, MN

Rained very hard last night and this morning. Temps have been falling al day. Supposed to get to 43 tonite. Brought in many houseplants that had been vacationing outside. Had planned on doing it this weekend.

Ha, Summer weather? We have a freeze watch on between Thursday to Friday. Will go down to 28 to 30 degrees. My DD covered her tomatoes tonight just incase. Yellowstone can have snow.

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

28-30°f BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

I finally did call Brecks TD. The iris are on the way.

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

We got over two inches of rain yesterday. Going up to only sixty today.

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

Been cold here today too. It took me about 2 hours to pick and categorize my daylily seed pods today and by the time I got done, I needed some hot chocolate to warm up.

WINTER WEATHER IN MY SUMMER GARDEN!!!

Where have the summer gone? Snowed all day today and is beginning to stick. It is 30 degrees. We had a storm on Sept 4, 2013 last year when the leaves were still on the trees. It ruined many trees. broke branches. Hope we don;t have that again. Suppose to be less than 1".

Cindy my DL pods are still on the plants, not done. Two daylilies are blooming past the snow. They are he last ones

This message was edited Sep 11, 2014 5:53 PM

Thumbnail by

Daylily plants under a blanket of 2" of snow.

Thumbnail by

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.