Care of Agave parviflora

West Babylon, NY(Zone 7a)

I have it as a houseplant.

Baja California, Mexico(Zone 11)

I can't speak for that particular species, but I do have a few baby agaves growing as house plants. The main thing is to give lots of light. Right by a south-facing window, or any location which gets daily sun. That makes the care easier. Use a gritty mix, water when dry (or almost dry). You might consider making it an outdoor plant during the warmer months, just be careful to transition gradually to full blazing outdoor sun.

Prescott, AZ(Zone 7b)

Give it as much sun as possible, they are from Arizona.
Go easy on the water, especially in winter. Definately let it dry out between waterings.
You could let it go dry for months and still not kill it. It does most of it's active growing in the summer and fall so if you can get it outside this is the time to do it.

West Babylon, NY(Zone 7a)

Ok I've got it outside now

Baja California, Mexico(Zone 11)

Quote from Domehomedee :
It does most of it's active growing in the summer and fall

Whatever the normal behavior of the agave outdoors in habitat, it should grow year round indoors when given proper care. The main reason to go lighter on water in the winter is that the days are shorter, the sun is less intense, and the soil dries out less quickly. To be honest, I water my indoor agaves exactly the same whatever the season, because they get hours of sun each day year round. That was what I meant when I said that daily sun makes the care easier.

Good luck!

This message was edited Jun 19, 2014 10:45 AM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.