Summer Gardens Part 2

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

We came from here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1357593/

Today's harvest: Some large cherry tomatoes, a Marmande tomato, one Homestead tomato, and one Gray Striped Zucchini. There's at least one more zucchini out there that'll be ready to harvest in a day or two and we also have a couple of yellow squash that'll soon be ready.

Thumbnail by stephanietx Thumbnail by stephanietx
Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

I am a long way away still , Have a small pepper though

Thumbnail by juhur7
Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Yay!

Cascade, VA(Zone 7a)

im still finishing up on harvesting some of the spring stuff. Have pulled my "little finger" carrots, been having lettuce running out the wazoo, and still trying to eat it up before whats left starts bolting, lol. (note to self, dont go so crazy with the seed sowing next time). Tried growing radishes, but the summer heat came on quicker than usual and they didnt work out so great. as for the summer crops, ive been getting blueberries gradually, freezing them as they ripen. one of the banana pepper plants are going nuts, with the others not far behind.

This message was edited Jun 13, 2014 7:53 PM

Thumbnail by jmc1987 Thumbnail by jmc1987 Thumbnail by jmc1987 Thumbnail by jmc1987 Thumbnail by jmc1987
Cascade, VA(Zone 7a)

And me and my pal have been waiting for signs of future tomatoes, just now starting to notice flower buds on a few of them--finally.

Thumbnail by jmc1987
Springfield, OR(Zone 8a)

Nice carrots, and pretty pepper plant too. You shouldn't miss any tomatoes, with your pal being so intent on catching them.

I planted out my eggplant, zucchini, cucumbers and peppers today, but I was worrying so much about beans that I forgot to harden them off. I covered them and will just keep my fingers crossed.

Tomorrow I will have soil/compost delivered, since DC is too sick with allergies to go get it. But then I'll be able to fill the other bed and plant my beans. I hope we have a long, warm Fall!

(Becky), Lipan, TX(Zone 7b)

Oh Steph, that looks good :)

Jmc I like your little carrots. I wanted to do some 'Parisienne' this year since they're short and do well in heavier soils than the full size varieties, but couldn't find seeds in time and baker was sold out when I placed my order w them. Boo! How long did yours take from germination to harvest? Ball park guess?

Turtles, I make little sun bonnets out of gallon milkjugs and use landscape staples to anchor them around any late plantings until they're acclimated. Super easy, just cut the bottom off the jug and make big slits on your corners to allow for airflow, water to get in. It even works now in the heat of summer, where if not protected, they'd surely croak. Good luck w your new bed :)

Emergency bug alert! Which one is bad? The little green ones? Is the big black one a predator going after them? They are on my soybeans as I type and I am getting all twitch wanting to squash them!!

Thumbnail by StillPlaysWDirt Thumbnail by StillPlaysWDirt

Good news is I just are my first ripe tomato straight from the garden. Matts wild cherry, wish it was a bit bigger, now I'm hungry for more!

Thumbnail by StillPlaysWDirt
Liberty Hill, TX(Zone 8a)

jmc, are those the carrots that you thought had nematode damage?

Some shots of the garden this evening..

1 Tomato rows are filling in nicely.. Finally! And fruit on all :)
2 Dark Copia Heart tomato
3 Pink Bumblebee tomato
4 Yellow Bell tomato (love the little "cleft" in the bottom!)
5 Japanese Black Trifele tomato

Thumbnail by StillPlaysWDirt Thumbnail by StillPlaysWDirt Thumbnail by StillPlaysWDirt Thumbnail by StillPlaysWDirt Thumbnail by StillPlaysWDirt

More from the tomatoes..

1 Blueberry tomato. I think this is the one that some speculate may be a renamed 'OSU Blue'. I think it could also be 'Indigo Rose'. The reason I'm unsure of the cultivar is I received them in trade. I love a good experiment ;)

2 Grubs Green Mystery tomato, look how loaded it is w fruit, and it's a small plant!

3 Cherokee Tiger Black Dwarf tomato (love that chartreuse!) in front of a Grubs Green Mystery tomato. These plants were stuck in this raised bed as a temporary 'holding bed' in case I lost my other plants. They're close together but happy.. for now..

Thumbnail by StillPlaysWDirt Thumbnail by StillPlaysWDirt Thumbnail by StillPlaysWDirt
Cascade, VA(Zone 7a)

as far as the green bug goes, i have no idea, lol. but the gray colored one is something called a "wheel bug", and yeah it is a good guy.

1lisac: these were grown in a big pot on the back deck, the ones in my garden bed that i had suspicion of were Denvers Half Longs. if i had used my head i would have gotten a couple of photos of them before i made use of them.

StillPlaysWDirt: i believe i planted the Little Fingers carrots right around late march / early april. and these were pulled on the 6th of this month.

Cascade, VA(Zone 7a)

getting open buds on one of my radish plants (thats ok--totally planned, i want some seed, lol, and may sample a couple of immature seed pods), and tomato buds are showing themselves

Thumbnail by jmc1987 Thumbnail by jmc1987
Springfield, OR(Zone 8a)

I've got three tomato flowers! on my still43 plants. Lol.

Oh, no; culled two plants today.

Had 60 pea pods to cook for dinner last night; that was yum.

Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

StillPlaysWDirt
your tomatoes look great.
Great job !
Happy gardening !

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Becky, the first bug pictured looks like an assassin bug and he's definitely a good guy to have in your garden. The others might be spider mites or aphids. Can't really tell. You can spray them with some soapy water and see if it kills them.

Your tomatoes look great! You're doing a good job with your garden.

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

This morning's harvest: Another gray striped zucchini, 2 Marmande tomatoes, and several cherry tomatoes.

Thumbnail by stephanietx

Jmc1987, I am so planting those carrots next year! They'll do great in the low side of my raised bed #2. What your favorite way to eat them?

Drthor, I have refered to many of your posts concerning tomatoes so I owe you a big Thankyou, or else my plants would surely be dead by now LOL! Knock on wood..

Oh Steph I look forward to your harvest pics throughout the week. The only thing that would make them better is if they were on my doorstep rather than my iphone.. hehehe

Cascade, VA(Zone 7a)

StillPlaysWDirt: i tend to toss them into my salads, but often times i will just eat them straight up after washing, lol! im tempted to roast the next batch that i try out, with maybe a bit of honey glaze & parsley flakes ;)

Springfield, OR(Zone 8a)

Let a human get a taste for tomatoes.....

I occasionally wonder, though not enough to google, what Italian cooking was like before they A. brought tomatoes east from the to-be Americas, and B. decided it wasn't poisonous after all.

Life without tomatoes would be poor indeed! You-all's pictures are making me dream -- so thanks for keeping the dream alive, lol. I'm with you Becky.

Happy Father's Day to any on here.

Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

Best tomato season ever !!!!
I am harvesting like this every other day !
A lot of cooking and a lot of freezing too. Love it !

Thumbnail by drthor Thumbnail by drthor Thumbnail by drthor Thumbnail by drthor Thumbnail by drthor
Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

StillPlaysWDirt
these are pictures for you.
If I am not mistaken a while ago you did ask me how do I trim my tomatoes.
In these pictures you can see how I keep trimming the bottom leaves and branches after I harvested the tomatoes. I keep pushing production on the top part of the plant. Then when the plant is too tall, I lay down the canes horizontally (and I am really positive the plant produce more on those canes).

Last week, during a "fruit" day I direct seed long beans and cowpeas under the tomato plants.
When the beans will grow they will use the tomato trunks as a support.
Also the tomato canopy will shade them a little when they are babies.
Then by the time the beans will reach the top of the tomato plants, the tomato will be done and I will cut them off.

Happy gardening

Thumbnail by drthor Thumbnail by drthor Thumbnail by drthor
Cascade, VA(Zone 7a)

ah, leave it to drthor to leave us all feeling inferior ;) NO, NO I AM KIDDING! :D Always so great to see your harvest photos, the colors are always so cheery. this year i am also trying the "removing the lower leaves" thing, especially the ones that want to bend down towards the ground as the branches start sprouting out.

Richland, WA(Zone 7b)

drthor, do you not have a problem with sun burn on the tomatoes? I don't see a lot of foliage, and here I do get burn when there aren't enough leaves to shade the fruit.

Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

JoParrott
no I don't have any problem with the sunburn.
Maybe it is the picture ... but the top part of the tomato canopy is full of leaves ... I actually also cut off some of the leaves on the top to let the sun go through to reach the bottom.
The plants are happy and they are producing huge fruits this year !
I just roasted another full size pan of tomatoes and onions and froze them last night. They were so good !
Happy gardening !

Drthor, thanks for the pics! I have been removing all the lower branches like you do, and the plants just keep putting out new top growth, so far so good! I've been noticing more pests though, hand picking them each time. I'm sure spotting them will get harder as the plants bush out more, but squishing seems to be keeping them at bay. Well that and the birds who have begun hanging around the garden, prob since there's lots of grasshoppers sneaking in to try eat my plants! LOL

I'm too chicken to plant the long beans under my toms. I'm afraid they'll ruin my toms or won't thrive themselves and I'm stuck with decaying bean vines under healthy tomatoes -- recipe for disaster. Maybe next year I'll have the nerve. I noticed a bruise on one of my mortgage lifters today, so I gave him to the compost heap, wonder what that was about?

Madison, AL(Zone 7b)

Garlic harvest yesterday. Although I got some of the biggest cloves ever, most of my cloves were undersized. My garlic hasn't looked happy since last fall; I knew it wasn't going to be a great harvest.

Fortunately I planted more this year. I had hope to have more to share, but the extra I planted will be able to keep us in garlic for the year even with the smaller heads.

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Becky, the hotter it gets, the more pests you'll see because the plants become stressed in the hotter temps. That's when bugs make their moves.

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Today's harvest. Lots of tomatoes! I think most of these are Marmande, but some could be small Homesteads. Whatever they are, they're tasty!

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

A picture would be nice.

Thumbnail by stephanietx
Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

StillPlaysWDirt
your tomatoes plant are still much smaller than mine. I think you can wait to plant your beans, right?
I have been harvesting tomatoes now for almost two months.
My plants must be 8' tall ... I just keep bending down the top.

So you still have time to experiment. Just give a try.
If I can do it ... you could do it too!

These are my favorite Long Beans (they really love our Dallas heat):
http://www.rareseeds.com/chinese-red-noodle-bean/
I like the red beans much more ... because I can see them ... the green ones are hard to find !

Liberty Hill, TX(Zone 8a)

I just sowed seeds for 4 different types of long beans. They are in direct sun, like always. They are a couple inches tall but they seem to love the sun and heat. My regular pole beans are just starting to bloom. My tomato plants grow all summer long I don't know if sowing seeds for long beans under my tomato plants would work for me. Im afraid it would be a tangled mess. Lol

Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

Long Beans are germinating already, just after 3 days: PERFECT !
By the time the Long beans will be on top of the cages, the tomatoes should have stopped production ... or not ...
These two crops don't mind growing together. In the past they both produced at the same time.
Cowpeas are not out yet.

Man I need to get my butt in gear and just plant them already LOL! I'm such a chicken when it comes to committing! Bok bok bok 🐔

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Lol Had that for lunch today (Chicken on a sandwich )

Bean plants everywhere here ,, wait , wait , wait ,,, zzzzzzzz
Kentucky wonder
fillet (bush
red noodle ,, slooow .. to grow
lima
a couple others

New Orleans, LA(Zone 9a)

Summer is definitely here & the garden is taking a beating with all the heat. Here are a few pics.

I should be picking some corn starting this week. It was supposed to be Mirai bi-color, but all the ears I've checked have been all white. That's good too. I've planted field peas in the beds that held onions. The bed with a sparse growth is zipper cream peas, the fuller bed is top-set purple hull peas.

The hot peppers are going like crazy. The blackberries are just about finished. And I'm anxiously awaiting for the figs to ripen.

Happy Gardening Everyone!!

Jo-Ann

Thumbnail by jomoncon Thumbnail by jomoncon Thumbnail by jomoncon
Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

Cowpeas are germination today too. 4 days after sowing.
I have a tomato with personality today ... and it seems that the cucumbers are starting to produce more.
Huge pods on my Okra ...

Thumbnail by drthor Thumbnail by drthor Thumbnail by drthor Thumbnail by drthor Thumbnail by drthor
Cascade, VA(Zone 7a)

hmm, it looks like W.C. Fields has been reincarnated into a tomato ;)

SE Houston (Hobby), TX(Zone 9a)

LOL!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.