CLOSED: June Chat - Blooms galore!

I am feeling better. I will be taking pictures in the morning of all my random flowers and my wonky pond!! I have 40 baby GOLDFISH!!!

I have had everything ruled out except the sinus infection. So I am on antibiotics for that.

Will try to post more often. I am also working on my bathroom. I am so excited to be getting that done!!

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

Cville believe me I have been in shade many years now. I have scoped out things that grow well and bloom in the part shade areas I have. The lilies do really well. So do daylilies. Everything seems to be thriving this year. Really beautiful. The first is a few spider warts. Have a hard time getting rid of these. The second is some other kind of lily love these a gift from a friend. Third is a shot of my part sun garden. It gets some nice sun from 3 to around 8 in the summer. Forth is one of my hardy geraniums. Love the flowers on this one almost ruffely on the edges.

Thumbnail by gardenlady123 Thumbnail by gardenlady123 Thumbnail by gardenlady123 Thumbnail by gardenlady123
Greenfield, NH(Zone 5b)

Elfie....glad you are feeling better.....or on the road to feeling better!

Gardenlady - I love the hardy geraniums -- I have one that is pink....the leaves smell like fresh cotton laundry to me! YUM! It isn't blooming that well this year....tons of leaves....looks healthy but only one stem of flowers! Love the lily color too!

CvG - love the fleabane....they are cute little flowers.....so delicate.....

It's raining here again!...and all the bearded iris tall stems are flopping over! :(

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Those all look so nice, Ronna. I especially love hardy geraniums. Well, snap, I love most flowers.;-) I only have one hardy geranium and mine hasn't bloomed that well this year either. I can't find a photo right now.

It was so cool when I opened the door awhile ago. Down in the 50s. But starting tomorrow there is a heat wave coming. It is predicted to be in the 90s until next weekend. Ugh.

Some of the fleabane, speedwell and lamb's ears (Stachys 'Silver Carpet').

Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener
Mount Sterling, KY(Zone 6b)

We have had a little excitement already this morning. Apparently there is a bear roaming around the neighborhood and the Sheriff has told us to be on the lookout for it. Now that might not be so unusual for some of You all, but it is very unusual in this neighborhood. Add that to the fact that someone has been breaking in houses around here in the last few days, things could get VERY strange indeed. : /
Can anybody ID this Iris? Next pic is my Prickly Pear cactus in bloom,a Pink Fairy Rose, Tristan Strawberries in a strawberry jar. Then another pic of the Iris that I can't remember the name of.

Thumbnail by Nanny23 Thumbnail by Nanny23 Thumbnail by Nanny23 Thumbnail by Nanny23 Thumbnail by Nanny23
(Crystal) Waverly, AL

The only geraniums I have (in the flower beds) are thre weedy ones with flowers smaller than a pencil eraser. Someone gave me one this year in a swap, but it has not bloomed yet but is growing nicely.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

A bear?? My goodness. We used to have a wolf that ran through the neighborhood periodically, but I haven't seen it in quite awhile. Haven't seen any deer lately either.

Annette, I don't know which iris that is but it is a beauty. You might get an ID on the Iris forum if you haven't already posted it there. If you do, let us know please.

Found the geranium photos.

Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener
Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Astilbes, Tennessee Coneflower and Catharanthus roseus ...

Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener
(Linda Kay) Amarill, TX(Zone 7a)

Anyone know what these are? They are growing at the motel on Padre Island on the beach! The flowers are so tiny.

Thumbnail by taters55 Thumbnail by taters55
Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

It might be Heliotropium curassavicum but I am not positive about that.

That is it! Thanks so much!

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Wow, good guess on my part. lol

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

Pretty posies going on this forum now... I am with you cville. I like all flowers too. My kids would always laugh cause I would say those are my favorites.... lol.

Greenfield, NH(Zone 5b)

Carole - pink lamb's ear....?? Awesome...I didn't know the flowers would come in pink - I've only seen yellow.....I'm going to be on the lookout for some of those kind! I have the same kind of geranium - mine isn't blooming well anymore but I love the leaves on the plant too!

Annette - Bears - yikes and break ins -- so not good! I hope they catch the bad guys! That's so scary! Be safe! Love the iris....what beautiful colors!

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Candi, the purple blooms are on 'Silver Carpet' variety of Lamb's Ears. It's actually supposed to be a non-bloomer but it does bloom some as you can see ... although not as much as the regular Lamb's Ears and it's not invasive. I'll send you some along with the Celandine. :) We're headed into a heat wave so things should be drying enough to dig soon.

(Crystal) Waverly, AL

Does anyone have fall blooming anemone? Is so, how does it grow for you? I had some many years ago bit it only lived a couple years. Some worms ate it up 2 years running and it never returned. Then I didn't know to dust with dipel. I forgot where I got it but I never see it in stores here. I can't remember if it is a bulb like the spring anemone.

Our temps are going to be up in the 90's all week. :( It looks like Summer is ON!!!

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Yes, it does.

Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener
Greenfield, NH(Zone 5b)

Carole - thanks for the addition! It's going to be warm here too but we're heading for more rain on Wednesday! Your patch is lovely.....I love soft looking plants like lambs ear and rose campion!

I have one fall blooming anemone....totally surprised me because I thought they were all spring blooming....someone sent me one last year so I put it in the ground and watched it all summer for growth....and it was doing fine and I was happy to think it would make it thru the winter....and one october day I looked out and there was a flower blooming....I ran outside to see what the heck would be blooming at this time of year....and it was the anemone! I've done nothing to it - so we'll see how it does this year....it is still growing and looks good. I can't remember if it was a bulb but I don't think it was.

Today's garden walk --
pic 1 - denver delight iris - I think from DJ or WWK
pic 2 - what's going on with this DL? Should I be worried? I can't find anything on the DL forum other than bug damage and this leave doesn't match those pics!
pic 3 - the first DL ....yeah! NOID
pic 4 - I have this plant labeled as jacob's ladder but it doesn't look like the other jacob's ladder flowers in my yard....anyone know if it really is JL?
pic 5 - my darkest purple iris....noid....

Thumbnail by AliKat32 Thumbnail by AliKat32 Thumbnail by AliKat32 Thumbnail by AliKat32 Thumbnail by AliKat32
Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Daylily leaf streak -- "Yellow-streaked leaves that turn brown and die may result from a fungal infection. Leaf streak responds to a fungicide, but daylily rust, a recently discovered infection caused by the Puccinia hemerocallidis, does not. It begins with a central yellow streak on the leaves and soon progresses to rusty spots along the length of the plant."

Greenfield, NH(Zone 5b)

Oh boo! Should I cut them off? One person on the DL forum thought it might be Turning to vargated - so DLs do that for no reason.

I will watch it closely and look for spots - and remove as needed unless it's better to just chop off now! Help.......

Alikat,If the plant looks healthy other than the coloration, I would keep a close eye on it. Fungicide might be a good idea to head off a future problem, if the plant is something you want to save. You can research the Puccinia hemerocallidis,and see what is recommended for dealing with it. I have never had this problem with daylilies though, so that is just my opinion, for what it's worth.

Greenfield, NH(Zone 5b)

Thank you Annette - I will watch it and research too! :)

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

Bummer to lose any plant in the garden. I know I have lost a couple hostas to HVX. But I guess thats not to bad. Just becareful where they are purchased.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

That's for sure. The cultural practices of the grower makes all the difference.

I still have one hellebore blooming on the north side of the house.

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

Love the hellobores!!!

Carole you got an id on that first pic, the DL? It is very pretty.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

I got it at Walmart. It was labeled 'Show Winner'. Sometimes the label accuracy at WM is questionable though. :)

I'd say that name is accurate even if it isn't the right tag, People do switch tags around, especially at Lowes I was looking at a knipfolia that had a zebra grass tag stuck in it. lol The rest of them had the correct tags.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

It's already 76° out there. And the humidity is rising. Guess I'd better get to the grocery while the getting is good.

Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener
Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

I have stuff opened too. But we have no wifi. So much easier to post from the tablet then taking a photo and down loading. Bummed we just changed providers and wifi is not included. Just for a cost. We have to go buy our own router.... bummed.

(Crystal) Waverly, AL

For the last 3 days it has been utterly miserable outside. The temps are not too bad--85-low 90's, although it did hit 95 one day) but the humidity is H... When the heat/humidity runs me inside, you can bet it's BAD. The flowers are growing beautifully, but need rain. Going to go set the prinlker to water.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

I hear you. I will most likely have to some hand watering today. Ugh! :(

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Too hot for much of anything again today. I must say I lose interest in gardening about this time of year. It's much more fun during the spring, fall and even part of the winter. :)

You all have a good one. :)

DJ'S JULY IRIS SWAP

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1365620/

(Carey) Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Oh what I'd give for 90! It's been mid 90s with the same humidity lately. I feel like I live in Houston! Don't know how y'all can deal with this daily on the coast. :(

Our four-legged visitors are getting brave. Squirrel ate my tomatoes on the back deck (elevated) a few days ago and now the deer are practically ringing my doorbell to eat the dahlias in my planters by the entryway. I'm interested that they left my echinaceas bloom for the first time in two years! My variegated brug bloomed the other day and it looks my crinums are ramping up to send up bloom stalks.

I love the geraniums too. I have a couple of large hanging planters on the back deck with red blooms, and in front I made up some hanging planters with a variety of regal geranium Candy Parfait and trailed some silver ponyfoot. Deer are leaving them alone and they are so cheerful in the entryway. :)

Greenfield, NH(Zone 5b)

Oh no....squirrels eating tomatoes! I didn't know they liked to do that! The deer here are plentiful and they make their presence known all too well! On my garden walk yesterday I noticed they ate all the leaves off my hollyhock patch.....they ate the tops off my purple cone flower....and they've never done that before! Seems like they left yours alone and mine got hungry for them! And they eat my garden phlox every year! Sometimes I wake up and see that they've eaten every hosta leaf I have in the back garden....so far those are safe! I've been trying a thing called "deer solution" that smells like cinnamon....and it seems to be working but it wears off and I forgot to redo it last week....and bam! there go my plants! Resprayed tonight....on the calendar to do it again in three weeks!

I have heard that if you tie up pieces if Irish spring bar soap in the garden, it is supposed to deter the deer.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

I have read the same thing. I haven't tried it though. Our deer have been scarce for the last few years. They used to come through the yard and cross the street to get the pears off the neighbor's pear tree over there. They sampled a little in my yard but they were really after the pears.

(Crystal) Waverly, AL

Soap, perfume, hair, lots of things work for a limited time with deer. Red Pepper. I have used a product called Hinder with good success but has to be reapplied after each rain. I think most of the time it is just opportunistic grazing . They are passing through and happen to see something they want to taste. Now, in the case of a pea field or some crop, they actually come to get it.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.