CLOSED: June Chat - Blooms galore!

(Crystal) Waverly, AL

And the less there are to breed. Sometimes they get so busy they forget to fall ogg.

Greenfield, NH(Zone 5b)

Japanese Beetles -- UGH....the traps are really bad because for all the ones trapped - you are attracting more and more to your yard....causing more grubs and more beetles next year. I invested in milky spore - a harmless spore to everything but JB grubs. Once the spore is established in your yard/gardens....it breaks the cycle of grub to beetle....so you may see grubs but they get smaller and smaller and when they die they leave more milky spore in your dirt...thus continuning the cycle of no grubs to beetles. I applied it 2x a year for 3 years (got it in granular form and spread it with a spreader in the grass and by hand in the gardens). It's been 5 years and each year I see less and less adult beetles. I use nothing else and handpick off the adult ones each morning during June once they arrive. OK - I'm off my soap box...I just can't stand them buzzing around eating my rose petals and other plants....ICK!

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

I have the milky spore as well. I haven't gotten it distributed in the lawn yet so it doesn't do much good in the garage. :-/

Mount Sterling, KY(Zone 6b)

lol CvG! As for attracting more beetles, well it would be hard to say because that year they were having a party in my yard before the traps went up! You couldn't see the roses for the beetles. they completely devoured one of my bushes and left nothing but the stems, while I was gone to work. :( Too many to hand pick, I had to get them in mass quantities.So for instant gratification and revenge the traps worked.
But I might try the milky spore. I will research that :) Thanks!

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

We had a doozie of a rainstorm for a couple of hours last night around midnight. Seems the storm came down from KY, Nanny. How did you all fare up your way?

CvG We are ok. Some of the surrounding counties had some damage and a few tornadoes touched down in Western Ky, but no reported injuries. We had some high winds and a lot of Rain. But I haven't seen any significant damage to our place. Trees down around the area and a few on houses or cars. But it could have been so much worse! We were very lucky!

I am sick. I am not really sure what it is, so I thought I would see if anyone here knows what might be wrong, It kind of feels like a sinus infection, head ache ( really strange one ), and I am sick to my stomache, feeling dizzy, my equilibrium is messed up too. It comes and goes, and when it hits I have to laydown. Any ideas here??

(Linda Kay) Amarill, TX(Zone 7a)

Glad to hear everyone is OK!

Sounds like you have an ear infection, that will throw off your balance.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Could very well be your ears.

FU, United States(Zone 9b)

Nanny23, ...yeah and Men with Weedwackers are destructive too. Yikes!

Mud_Elf, maybe Sinus infection, ear infection and bad head cold? Feel better soon. Take your viitamins and get plenty of sleep.

Elfie you better get that checked out. Sounds like an ear infection, but you need a Dr to look at you. My daughter started out with an ear infection that turned into encephalitis.
She ended up with some serious complications and spent 2 weeks in the hospital and could have been a lot worse if she had not got started on antibiotics when she did.
So my message here is that even the simplest affliction needs to be taken very seriously. She started out with an ear infection and it progressed from there. She was also 8 months pregnant at the time which made the whole thing even scarier and limited the treatment that could be used safely.
But the infection spread into her brain and caused her brain to swell. That swelling caused nerve damage that affected her eyesight and ability to walk. It took months for her to recover completely. It was CRAZY. They told us it was very rare , but it did happen. So go to the Dr.!!!

LoveForests- I could write a book on the subject of men and power tools and the havoc they wreak on everything around them lol. They manage to knock holes in the flowerpots that are in the middle of a flowerbed that has NO WEEDS. How!?!? Why!?!?

Cville, I think my Hibiscus is called "Luminescence". But Hidden Valley doesn't seem to have it right now. They have one that looks similar to it though. --- Mine has the large blooms with orange, yellow and pink, and dark green leaves.

Nanny23, .... don't even get me started. LOL! --- The guys that weedwack my yard ruined the trunks of my young fruit trees almost killing them (stunted their growth), they made big holes in large flower pots. Scalped parts of my poor lawn.
-- They used weed-spray and were killing-off almost ALL of my medium to large plants on my property. --- I threw my 4th fit to the owner of the lawn service and finally the destruction slowed-down.
I told them no weed spraying (I'll do that myself), and no more weedwacking near pots, plants or trees. --- I think it's a syndrome called impatience.

Thumbnail by LoveForests
Manhattan Beach, CA(Zone 10b)

I don't even want to hear the word weedwacker or chainsaw! I ask the gardener to "prune" my juniper which was about 50 years old and this is what he did.

I call it laziness and a few other choice words. The juniper was beyond help and I had to dig it up.

Thumbnail by Shorty_CA

Shorty_CA, where is it?????? I can barely see a juniper?. -- Talk about pruning too much.

Sorry that happened to you :[

Shorty, ... I'm sorry, but, that Juniper should have been trimmed in an "oblong" shape. with the middle being left as the tallest and any other branches just slightly trimmed on outside. --- I'm sorry you had to go through that. ----
I call that un-knowledgeable of trees, shapes, and also impatience.

--- Geez, maybe I should be a landscaper and plant/tree rimmer, but I'm too outta shape now to do it though.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Ouch. Hard to believe someone would do that and call themselves a "landscaper". Ugh!

I think I would have sent someone a big fat bill for them to pay for all the damage!

Manhattan Beach, CA(Zone 10b)

LoveForests there is a red arrow in the top of the picture that points to the former juniper. I told him he's never to bring another chainsaw into my yard again.

Un-knowledgeable is a good word to describe him. I ask him where his pruning sheers were and he said he doesn't own any.

Shorty, LoL. --- Ohhh don't ya just love landscapers? --- If I did not know what shape to do a tree or bush, or how low too cut one, I would ask the owner for specifics on those plants/bushes first before doing it.

--- My landscapers/Lawn mowing guys come through here and cut the grass/weedwack within 3 minutes and are gone (usually on different days) so can't keep track of when they'll come here.

More luck to ya in the future. --- And don't always think a plant or tree is a gonner, wait a long while it might come back growing just fine (will just look weird for a while).

:]

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

Lots ofbeautiful blossoms on here. The only thing I have are my hostas all opened up and beautiful once again.

Thumbnail by gardenlady123 Thumbnail by gardenlady123 Thumbnail by gardenlady123

Gardenlady123.... Beautiful Hostas!! Love them.

I posted like 3 times..whaaaaaaaaa. . Elfie swooning at the pretties! !!

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Wow! Those are some very lovely hostas, Ronna!

Elfie, what is happening with your posts? We always love to see your pretties too.

Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener

Love those blooms. What is the middle one?

(Crystal) Waverly, AL

Shorty, you're not still using this same company, are you. The only thing they understand is money, not plants. So do not give them any more money and sending a bill for the tree is a great idea.

Gardenlady123, Your hostas are gorgeous.
CvG the blooms are so beautiful. None of my lilies except the Stella D'Oro are blooming yet. But they will soon :)
Elfie, I had problems getting pics to post. I thought it was me, but maybe the site is having issues? Keep trying.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

LK, the middle photo is English Lavender.

Thanks, Nanny23. Things have started to pop out and really get growing with the warm weather and rain.

Found out the problem,, Dear Grandson used up all my bandwith watching utube,, whaaa. So have to wait til Tuesday before I can upload and pictures..

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Ah ha. Hmmmm ... well, now you know.

Oh no! You will have to limit him on Youtube. Another thing to try is try using just the wifi if you have it?

Greenfield, NH(Zone 5b)

Gardenlady - those hostas are beautiful....I see you have ligularia too....I love the leaves on that plant! So beautiful!

I have no DL's yet - but my iris are blooming a bunch - new pics tomorrow I hope when it isn't raining....

Below is a missouri evening primrose....I missed the first two blooms...they must go by fast.....

CvG - I agree - your blooms are so beautiful! I love the colors.....

Thumbnail by AliKat32
Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Thank you. My hostas are just now starting to come on strong. The irises are done here. Daylilies are forming buds. I don't think my evening primrose has bloomed. I do really like them. :) I'm still going to send you the Celandine poppy (Stylophorum). I promise. :)

(Crystal) Waverly, AL

My O. biennis has been blooming for several days. They are glorious. One night I also had 3 night cereus blooms.
Milk and wine lilies.

Thumbnail by goldhillal Thumbnail by goldhillal Thumbnail by goldhillal
(Carey) Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

I was very excited that the very small brug that I bought earlier this year with variegated leaves bloomed yesterday! There was no tag, but the bloom started off a pale yellow and faded to apricot. Since the plant is just over a foot tall, the bloom was practically lying on the ground. But still, so divine. The pink one is still sending up a new stalk (yay! I gave it enough winter protection!) so no sign of buds yet. :)

My purple echinacea bloomed as well. The deer only ate two blooms so I actually got to see them this year. :)

The bad side is the deer ate my manfreda to the ground. Not only did the top the bloom stalks (never got to see them/smell them YET. grr) now they've almost destroyed the plants. :( Since those plants LOVE the heat I may have to move them to the backyard so they can bake. :/

(Crystal) Waverly, AL

Manfreda is new to me. I looked it up and the foliage is sure attractive. Hope you can save them from those pesky deer!

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

Thanks everyone. I really do like my hostas. Its really about all we can grow with all the shade in our yard. I really love all the pretty flowers blooming in all your yards!!! Very pretty.

Crystal, I love that night blooming cereus, they are so pretty. My mom gave me one but it hasn't bloomed yet.

(Crystal) Waverly, AL

Night Blooming Cereus does best when it is pot bound. I usually leave them in the pot til the roots split the pot. It will bloom sooner.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.