CLOSED: June Chat - Blooms galore!

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

We came here from:
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1358487/
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1358487/

Hoping to see lots of blooms this month!

Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener
(Linda Kay) Amarill, TX(Zone 7a)

Thanks for the new room. I have my first canna open! Now that I know they will grow here, I would love to find different colors!

Thumbnail by taters55
Manhattan Beach, CA(Zone 10b)

Taters55 I love cannas but they have become invasive. Mine are orange and never died back because of the warm weather. I'll try to take a few pictures later today.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

I have Canna generalis that froze to the ground during the winter. I've yet to see them this year. I have a couple Fruity gave me - 'Pretoria' and 'Richard Wallace'. I really hope they come back this year.

Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener

Shorty, I can't wait to see yours!

Cville, I hope yours comes back for you!

I have canons here and at the old house.. I need to go dig them up,,,,

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Thanks, LK. Elfie, what kind of cannas?

I have Richard Wallace,, and forgot the names of all the rest,,,lol..

(Carey) Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Thank you for the fresh sheets! DH and I celebrated our 11 anniversary yesterday and went to Qui (head chef was the winner of Food Network: Top Chef Texas). It was pricey but so so so yummy. I should have my first cherry tomato haul in a few days (just starting to color up) and the first Cherokee purple has finally set. I'll have enough jalapenos for a while and may have to freeze some. :)

I get my ollas locally - there is a small company that hand makes just outside of Austin (of course, they ship nationally!). They're not cheap ($40 each) but what they will save in costs of vegetables will more than make up for their prices!

http://drippingspringsollas.com/

Happy anniversary Carey! Glad to hear you got to go out and celebrate!

FU, United States(Zone 9b)

My exotic/tropical hibiscus plant from Hidden Valley Hibiscus bloomed it's third huge bloom not long ago. Very colorful. But the plant is a slooow grower and doesn't want to grow branches yet, lol.
The plant dislikes lots of water and the whiteflies love it I have found out.

Thumbnail by LoveForests
Greenfield, NH(Zone 5b)

carey - happy anniversary! Am jealous of your harvest already!
Canna's are so beautiful!

(Crystal) Waverly, AL

Happy June, Everyone!
Rainy and clouds here. For days. Not much accumulation though, but ugg it has INCREASED the humidity! Such is life in Alabama.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

And in Tennessee too.

They are so nice and friendly at Hidden Valley Hibiscus. Good place to buy tropical Hibs.
Which variety is that?

I beez haven blooms!!! And Sunflowers are thriving too!!

Yesterday as I was trying to work on the new pond. Mike was helping and hit my water main and busted it. So I had to put in new pipe. Since I had to fix it I went ahead and installed a new shut off and a new water faucet. Now I donot have to drag the hose all over the place to water my lily Beds! So good came from the bad.. lol..

Thumbnail by Thumbnail by Thumbnail by

Those are beautiful Kris! The birds are going to love you for planting the sunflowers! Automatic bird feeder.

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

Jealous of the lilies opened for you all. We are way behind you. I do have a few blossoms on my lilies in the front yard. Been raining here today a little but we do need some more rain. Have a few really good thunderstorms too! Love the thunder. Hope there is some more rain in the carss for us. I have only had to turnon the drippers just once so I guess thats not to bad. Love my dripping thingys I installed over the last two summers. Back yard maybe this summer.

My lilies will look much better next year. Between the dog, moving, and the weird weather my flowers are blooming at odd times.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

We're having some little fits and starts of rain. It's a little bit wet out there this morning but not much. Time for a good rain. It has been warm.

None of my named lilies have bloomed yet, but the ditch lilies are beginning to. Some roses in bloom, scarlet honeysuckle, coreopsis, lavender are all blooming. Giant Marconi pepper has blooms. I've got some little tomatoes forming. Four o'clocks should be blooming soon. I need to plant some sunflower seeds. Some of my hellebores are still blooming!

Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener
(Crystal) Waverly, AL

I looked up those peppers and they are whoppers. Have you ever tried to germinate the seed from one? I would like to try that!
Do you buy the plants or the seed?

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

They definitely can get big. I have bought plants and saved some seeds but I couldn't find them this year. So I went with another plant.

Cville.... I will look for the name of my yellow, orange, pink, Hibiscus Flower tomorrow and let you know what it is called. I think it's Luminess something, lol, not sure yet.
The blooms get big (as wide as your hand with your fingers spread outwards), the plant a slooow grower, but that might be because it is so close to my house in a corner, don't know.

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

Oh boy I thinned out my ditch lilies agai. Three bags full. Tried to give them away but no takers. Threw them out for monthly leaf and trimmings pick up.

Mount Sterling, KY(Zone 6b)

Well June is bustin' out all over in KY.
The first Southern Magnolia Blossom! Of course the first bloom is in the top of the tree!The whole yard smells wonderful! Red princess Weigelia, Sunray Coreopsis, Heidi Yarrow, and May night Salvia
This is just the beginning Of the Bloom fest. It is what we gardeners live for! lol

This message was edited Jun 3, 2014 10:19 PM

Thumbnail by Nanny23 Thumbnail by Nanny23 Thumbnail by Nanny23 Thumbnail by Nanny23 Thumbnail by Nanny23
Greenfield, NH(Zone 5b)

Beautiful June BLOOMS....and I can just imagine the smell!

All my lily of the valleys are out now with the lilacs...the yard smells delightful! I think I caught my dog enjoying the smell tooo....he was sniffing and sniffing the blooms....(ok - maybe he was smelling the deer poop but I'm going with he enjoyed the flower scent!)

Alikat, my lilacs got caught in the last hard frost we had, so the blooms were about half of what we usually get. I missed them this year. Glad to hear yours are blooming, and the Lily of the Valley. I tried to get some of those for my mom, and the pips you get in the stores are never any good. Where did you get yours? I would like to try again for her, she lives in the woods and we have trouble finding things that will bloom in the shade.

LOL, AliKa! I'm sure your dog was enjoying the scents of the flowers not the deer-pooy :]

Nanny23, so glad your plants & flowers ae doing so well. Your photos of your plants are awesome !!

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

They sure are, Nanny. I'm envious. Especially of that Magnolia blossom. We had a big Magnolia grandiflora in our yard where I grew up. :-)

Ronna, those ditch lilies are hardy, hardy, hardy and they certainly can multiply. They are about the only thing that will grow in the shade of the maple tree in our east side yard. There are roots everywhere there and shade but they are still growing and blooming. Not as vigorous as elsewhere but there nonetheless.

My May Night salvia bit the dust after a few years. The coreposis and Blue Dune grass have spread into its place. The Russian sage is blooming now.

Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener

That is so pretty!

I am excited to see everyone's gardens are coming back after that awful winter we had!
I have 2 of those Magnolia trees and they have been ravaged by high winds more times than I care to think about. One of them had the top half snapped off a few years ago. (I could have cried) But there are still growing and blooming. :)
Anybody got Crape Myrtles that still look dead. If so, don't give up on them just yet. Some of mine are just now starting to leave back out and I thought sure they were goners. DH wanted to cut them down, But I threatened to chain myself to them so he backed off. lol Men and chainsaws!!!!

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Thanks, Linda. :-)

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Annette, my crepe myrtles are putting out new growth as we speak. I so look forward to them every year. It's one of the first things I planted here.

Can't find a better photo at the moment. Oh well.

Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener
(Crystal) Waverly, AL

I have one crepe myrtle (so called dwarf), that is right beside another one. One has leafed out, the outer has nary a thing. I expect it to start popping up at a distance from the main plant. I find it all but impossible to get rid of crepe myrtles. I had a white one I planted and it took more than 3 years with poison and lawn mower to get rid of it.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Well, different strokes for different folks, I guess. I love mine. ♥

(Crystal) Waverly, AL

I have several and different colors, but to me white looks dirty pretty quickly. The colors are better.there is hardly anything hardier and as long lasting in bloom. The farther South you go, the longer the bloom season. I prefer the regular sized one and train it into a tree form. That way you get a small flowering tree. Mine is big enough to put a chair under and have a sit, if I had time. I know a place where several are planted together and trained into trees and it has a picnic table under the copse. Cute.
Unfortunately, japanese beetles do love the flowers, but mine is so tall you can't really see the damage they do to the flowers and the color is still there.
You have to develop a attitude of some leniency with japanese beetles, because they are just going to be here, like it or not. been there, done that.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

I favor the colors over the white as well.

Japanese beetles ... yes, they are going to be here at some point in time. I have a pale pink climbing Cecile Brunner rose that they love. I just let them have it for awhile. I don't treat the plant because it will affect the bees and other good bugs. After the jb swarm time is over, the rose returns to looking okay.

CvG, Beautiful! That is the color of the ones I have in the large bed. I love them , too. Those Japanese Beetles can really do a number on the roses. :( or anything that they take a fancy to. I use beetle traps to catch them when they are really bad. I don't like to use pesticides either.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

June is beetle month around here. :/

I haven't tried the traps yet but may do so depending upon how things go this year.

(Crystal) Waverly, AL

The extention agent says traps just attrack more to your yard, altho you do catch some.

I caught an awful lot of them, I figure the more you can catch ,the less there are to eat your plants ;)

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.