Bell Pepper Leaves are looking wierd...

Emory, TX(Zone 8a)

What is causing this? Difference in color is due to different cameras on different days. 1ST 3 were taken 5 days after #4 & #5

Thumbnail by yardqueen1948 Thumbnail by yardqueen1948 Thumbnail by yardqueen1948 Thumbnail by yardqueen1948 Thumbnail by yardqueen1948
Emory, TX(Zone 8a)

Does anyone have any ideas on this?

Liberty Hill, TX(Zone 8a)

You might try posting on the veggie forum it gets a lot more traffic. Or even the Texas forum. That's the only answer I have. Lol Just a thought.

Hutto, TX(Zone 8b)

YardQueen,

For years I thought leaves like that was a symptom of "Pepper Mild Mottle Virius." I've since been told that it can also just mean that the plant is stressed. Here's some info about PMMoV:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pepper_mild_mottle_virus

Here are some photos of the affected leaves:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pepper_mild_mottle_virus

Good luck!

Ozark, MO(Zone 6a)

David, the crinkled leaves I've seen on my pepper plants, which just indicate some kind of general stress, aren't as extreme as those in YardQueen's pictures.

This photo of one of my seedlings, taken today, shows crinkled leaves near the growth center, but not all that bad. This pepper plant has only been in the ground for about 3 weeks, it's been beat up by our typical rowdy springtime weather, moles have undermined it, flea beetles have chewed on the leaves, and I fertilized that row pretty heavy a few days ago. It's a little stressed right now but the color is good and experience tells me it will get past such difficulties strong, healthy, and growing.

YardQueen, I'm afraid your pictures do show PMMoV - I've battled it in the past, and that's why I no longer grow Bells, most varieties of which seem especially vulnerable. Don't pull the plants out, though. If it's PMMoV the plants won't die from it and you'll still get a crop, but smaller than you'd wish.

Thumbnail by Ozark
Emory, TX(Zone 8a)

Thanks for all of the replies. I will just see what happens. My Jalapenos look fine. Can they get it too?

Emory, TX(Zone 8a)

Ozark,
Mine looked like yours when they were that size.

Ozark, MO(Zone 6a)

Hot peppers don't seem to be bothered much by PMMoV, and non-bell sweet peppers like Gypsy and Carmen do pretty well, too. I quit growing bell peppers because of the virus, though - it really hurts them.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.