non-toxic flying insect control

Starkville, MS(Zone 8a)

A while back someone asked about controlling flying insects without using insecticides. I use "White Fly and Aphid Trap", manufactured by Biocare and/or "Sticky Stakes" and "Sticky Whitefly Trap" manufactured by Safer. All of them are yellow cards coated with a super-sticky surface. The Sticky Stakes are used adjacent to specific plants and the traps are used to control flying insects in a general area. All of these are non-toxic. The insects are drawn to the "yellow" and once they touch the card's surface, they are toast. Below are several pictures showing two cards that have been in my "Orchid" greenhouse for three months, and a new card, just hung a couple of hours before the photo. You can only see perhaps 50% of the (stuck-on) insects because of their tiny size. The cards are two sided, so both sides look the same. There are probably 100 insects on each side of these two cards.

Thumbnail by drdawg43 Thumbnail by drdawg43 Thumbnail by drdawg43
Mount Sterling, KY(Zone 6b)

Ken
Thanks for the info! I am going to get some of these for my greenhouse. How's everything down in the real South?
Annette

Starkville, MS(Zone 8a)

Cold!

Mount Sterling, KY(Zone 6b)

It's cold here too, for May! One more night down in the 30's possibly. Could have frost. I sure hope not, I just put out a bunch of tomato and pepper plants in my garden. I really thought that I had waited long enough to be past the danger of frost. But I was informed that we had thunder on the 20th of Feb. which means frost on the same day in May. lol There may be something to those old sayings!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.