xMangave 'Macho Mocha'

Windsor, CA(Zone 9b)

This is one of the babies of the mother plant that bloomed a couple of years ago. There is one planted next to this one that is also growing a stalk. The second one started growing later. I have not seen a second stalk growing before, in the same plant, and this morning, which prompted the photos, I saw this third stalk growing. Is this common? Will they grow as large as the first stalk? Thanks for any assistance. xuling.

This message was edited Apr 24, 2014 4:50 PM

Thumbnail by xuling Thumbnail by xuling
Baja California, Mexico(Zone 11)

Very exciting. I don't know how common it is, but I have seen extra bloom stalks come from between the leaves and even from underground. They're probably not going to be full size, but it's cool that your plant is flowering in such excess. It looks like it's doing really well, judging by the foliage.

Windsor, CA(Zone 9b)

Well I was very careful in the photography of the plant as the lower leaves are chewed to shreds by snails ja ja ja I am always picking them off and giving them to my neighbors. xuling

Windsor, CA(Zone 9b)

Wrongly again I thought that I had posted other pics of it growing up. This plant is currently starting to bloom and it has 2 chewed up baby stalks and 6 larger baby stalks growing around the base of the mother stalk. The largest of the baby stalks is starting to bloom. xuling

This message was edited May 27, 2014 4:48 PM

Thumbnail by xuling

That red color is really striking. Did your plant that flowered a couple of years ago ever make fruit/seed?

Windsor, CA(Zone 9b)

B_C, I can say that the parent of these two (actually I have some more elsewhere in the yard) grew an 8 foot stalk with these same flowers. Then it died back. There was no fruit on the stalk and I do not remember any seeds or seed pods formed by the flowers. Since it is a 'bastard' so to speak, I suspect it wouldn't produce those; but then it did produce live young at its body base. Sorry I am not articulate about these personal sexual discussions (ja ja ja) x

The plant might need another agave in flower to get proper pollination, then maybe it would make offspring sexually. The pups are great fun, but I'm always curious what the birds and the bees can do with strange plants.

Windsor, CA(Zone 9b)

It grew up and almost simultaneously bloomed next to a Manfred 'Suavo Bravo'. But I guess that does not count. x (or didn't anyway). One of the Manfreda's pups is in bloom with its almost 9 foot stalk. It had a thousand babies at its base and I just slaughtered them with a sharp knife. x

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.