2014 Spring Roundup?

Prescott, AZ(Zone 7b)

I hate to say it, but my significant other just reminded me his birthday is on the 8th. So the 7th would be a problem for me.

Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Gee Dee, I'm really glad your SO reminded you about his Birthday. You can't be gone for that. So, how does June 14th work for people?
My schedule got full for May, so I'm thinking the next date that might accommodate everyone's schedule would be in mid June.
Well, let me know.
WIB~
SingingWolf

Prescott, AZ(Zone 7b)

The 14th is good.

Manhattan Beach, CA(Zone 10b)

June14th is OK for me.

Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

I spoke to Sylvia on the phone this morning, and she said she could make the 14th, too. Sounds like it's a go for the 14th of June then.
Back to the garden. I'm out to plant some flowers to cover the bell post. :-)
WIB~
SW

Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Hey all,
I have some sad news.
I got an email from Lynda, and she wanted to let us know that Tony passed away last Wednesday. They are having a Memorial Service for him tomorrow, at their Church in Arizona. I wrote her back, but as yet haven't heard from her.
I know that several people who follow this thread would want to know.
I will be keeping Lynda and her family in my prayers.
Hoping everyone else is doing well.
WIB~
SW

(Pegi) Norwalk, CA(Zone 10b)

I got mail from Lynda too about Tony passing away. It is so sad for her, but Tony has no more pain and suffering. Family is in my thoughts and prayers. Darwin isn't doing any better, darn constipation can really cause you misery. Even the prescription laxative isn't working. Have a call in for the nurse so I can ask more about it. Can't understand why something isn't working. Once we get him straightened around and eating regular he may feel a lot better. I don't want to have to think about getting in home care yet, but it is available if and when I need it.

I have a large tree limb that our son hollowed out and I would like to put a few succulents in it. But, first I have to know if I can just put soil in the hollowed out space or should I treat it with something first. He made several of them, lucky that I conned him out of one. He is gardening at his girlfriend's and each week he shows me pictures he has taken. I think he is going to turn into a gardener after all. She knows nothing about gardening, doesn't even try to get interested in it. I just don't know how people can not love to dig in the dirt.

Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Hi Samigal,

I'm really sorry to hear that Darwin isn't doing better. The reason he is having so many problems is because of the medication he has to take. The side effects can be just as bad as the disease. Hang in there girlfriend.

The tree limb planter is ingenious. I think you should treat the wood before planting anything in it. I'm not sure what you should use to treat it with, maybe polyurethane. Or perhaps a good furniture oil. Maybe you should start a new thread. I'm sure that someone will know.

Personally, I seem to be happiest when both my feet and hands are dirty.

Is anyone interested in some Society Garlic? I'm moving it and have a lot to share.
Dee, seems that I lost my pink rain lillies, can I get some from you?

Snails and slugs are getting to some of my seedlings. I get my revenge by collecting them, and feeding them to the chickens.

The escapee hen was captured while sitting on an infertile clutch of eggs. She has been returned to the chicken pen. Yea!

WIB~
SW

Prescott, AZ(Zone 7b)

Jules I have several 4" pots with the pink rain lillies in them, I'll set them aside for you. I'd take some society garlic, not big on the smell but the deer don't eat it so it's worth putting in for the pretty little flowers.
As for the tree limb planters, how cool. I would use Thompson's water seal. I have used it on redwood planters before and water just runs right off. It lasts for a long time too as it is formulated for outdoor use.
Everybody look over the list . . . above, and let me know what to bring.
I have tons of Agave desmettiana varigata if anyone wants a few pups. I also have lots of pregnant onions. Anyway look at the list and let me know, I'd love to share some of these, I just have way to many plants and I'm really tired of trying to sell the extra. Oh I have several curly willows that need homes too. Here's another one: Great mullein (I grew it from seed and have too much).

Domehomedee I was just about to look at your list again but we've had another small earthquake. A 3.3 in Cudahy. It must have been shallow because it was felt over a wide area in the greater LA basin.

I think it's time for me to call it quits for the night. I'll look at your list tomorrow.

Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Thank you Dee. :-) I'm working on filling in a small strip of dirt next to the pool deck. Those will be perfect and pretty too.
Dee I've been looking over your list, and here is what I'll be taking off your hands(wink, wink).
Pink or white facilities, tapeworm centipede, red ginger, canna, hens and chicks, serum making, Watson is, I'll give that big Agave with no name a home. Great mullein, you and I are thinking alike again. I'd love some, and have lot's of room for them. My kids are looking for curly willows, geraniums and bromeliads. Whew! That's quite a list. I'm sure you'll be going home with as many plants as you give away.
Do you think that between us we can come up with enough small succulents to plant on Sami's branch planter? I'm already planning on going to see Sami and would be happy to deliver them to her.
I've gotten behind the last few days. I had planned on using the kennel to plant my gourds, but instead I've been building a pvc hoop structure to support the vines. It's still a work in progress.
Its been eating up a lot of time. I hope to get back in the garden and transplanting more seedlings. I'll keep you posted as I go.
WIB~
SW

If and when you can make it my way can you fill up a U-Haul trailer? Just kidding. Maybe I should try and describe my branch planter. Going to take a picture of it if I can, having a problem sending pictures since I got the new computer. It is just a small area on the end. Would have been great if he would have dug out the length instead. My yard is a mess, can't seem to straighten it out. So much junk, and I really mean junk that Darwin just won't throw away. Going to grab my camera and see what I can do. Love & Hugs to all.............

Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

You go Samigal!
Yes, photos are good if your new computer cooperates.
I was just thinking that the wood guy just brought in a couple of loads of trees. I think I'm going to see if they have any limbs we can turn into planters. Might be a fun project for the RU. I'll make sure if it works out, there is one for you, Sami.
Them seedlings are getting big fast. I'll be putting them in bigger pots soon.
Mia needs an emergency hair cut. She's already having problems with foxtails. :-(
More later.
WIB~
SW

Those foxtails can really cause problems. My Sami got into them one year, don't know how she got them in her mouth, but needed to take her to the vet and she had one in her throat and had to have it taken out and a drain put it. It cost a small fortune, didn't know if we could handle that big a vet bill. Well, most of my yard is dirt now, I keep pulling them out as I see them. Bad time right now as she needs a hair cut and she fights me when I try and cut her fur. She gives a groomer a hard time and her fur grows back so fast. Should have stayed with a short haired dog. Took a picture of my tree stump, now to put it in computer if I can remember how to do it and see what happens. So many new things to learn, technology just moves too fast.

Prescott, AZ(Zone 7b)

I have a few really good small succulents I can stick in for Sami. I have also made up a list for Jules so I can set them aside.
The talk of foxtails makes me want to get out there and weed whack now before it gets any worse. We have several nasty weeds that have sticky pokey seeds that get in your socks and stick to the dogs. The worst I call shoe lace weed, they are so small and they get stuck to your shoe laces, you don't even want to know how bad it is when it gets in the dogs hair. Brushing just moves them around and they stick to anything and everything.

Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

I know that weed! I don't know it's name but I do know it's behaviour. I hate it too. We've been weedwhacking for weeks now. The cocktails are early this year. Worse yet, they are everywhere.
Poor Mia has a bad hair cut, and the hole in her side where the foxtail worked it's way out. We cleaned it up, scissored the hair from around it, before we all got tried and decided that it is a two day job. Hopefully, she will let me use the clippers on her today so I can make her look pretty.
So nice of you to bring plants for Sami. She's going through a rough stretch right now. I know she hates missing out on the fun. I know I'll be missing her too. This is a good thing. :-)
We made a lot of progress yesterday, on the gourd tunnel. The support hoops are in place, the netting is attached to the hoops, so now we need to get the critter fence up, and then I can plant the gourds. Yippee!
It's warming up and I have a lot to do, so I'd best get to it.
WIB~
SW

Don't know how I did this, and it took so long to download. But this will give you an idea what my tree limb planter looks like. Not too much room for planting. I suggested the Thompson water sealer and they want to know how it would drain. I get different answers, all mine are wrong. I have some landscaping material here (thrown out by a company son once worked for) that I've been putting in some pots before adding my soil so it doesn't wash out or bugs get in.

Thumbnail by Samigal

When I put it in the computer I did turn it the right way. This means I better learn more about pictures.

Prescott, AZ(Zone 7b)

I hope there is some kind of drainage hole, say in the bottom or even in the side. The water sealer just protects the wood so it doesn't rot from being wet all the time.

Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

What does he do for drainage now? Yep, you can drill holes in the side. Just angle them so that gravity helps it drain. Did your son tell you how he hollows it out? Might take a while if I do it the Indian way. I'm going out to the wood lot this weekend to see if I can find some suitable pieces to turn into planters. I kind of like the idea of turning the branch horizontally, using wood hooks to suspend it, after hollowing out a trough or a sequence of individual holes along the length of the branch. Sounds wicked cool.
Worked on Mia's hair again today. She is fine as long as I use the scissors. She has Matt's so close to the skin. I'm still hoping she'll let me use the clippers tomorrow when I hope to finish the job. I just can't sit that long.
The photos were fine. I just turned my kindle sideways. :-)
Gourd tunnel is almost finished. I just need to do the drip irrigation, and spread the mulch. I'm really tired. Photos tomorrow.
WIB~
SW

I wondered about drainage too. Have to speak to him. DH says he has a really long drill so could drill from the bottom. I like the idea about drilling from the side. Son drilled some holes in top of stump then took a chisel and spent a very long time digging the wood out. Has to be an easier way but don't know how. He did a very good job, but doesn't listen to some of my ideas. Why do some men think they are always right??? I like the idea of a horizontal planter too. He just thinks that wouldn't make it deep enough, but for succulents I would think that would be fine. Looked around and found I didn't have any water sealer, it was scotch guard. Why I have a big container of that I have no idea.
My schnauzer has a lot of 'dread locks" too but when she sees the scissors she runs the other way. I bought a electric razor several years ago for grooming her, but ended up using it on DH instead. I've always cut his hair, still haven't learned how to give a decent hair cut though. I feel sorry for the groomer I have taken her to as she fights you all the way. Just don't have the money for hair cuts now so whenever I get a chance to get a hold of her and the scissors at the same time I do clip away.. My strawberries seem to be surviving, don't know if I lost one plant or not. Never did have a green thumb like Dee.

Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Happy Mother's Day every one.
I haven't had a chance to download the photos. I will as soon as I can.
I kind of thought a chisel might be involved. I plan on scouting out some suitable wood this afternoon. The wood guy just brought in some eucalyptus, which should be fine for this project. Wish me luck.
Mia is looking like a refugee from a bad beauty school. Still have a lot of trimming to do. Sigh.
I don't even get my own hair cut but once a year. I would love to let someone else do the deed. It's really painful for me to sit for long. Until I get a pause table built, I have to be on the floor with her.
Sami, I don't think the dogs mind what they look like.
I've got to get to watering.
WIB~
SW

My son said his girlfriend already planted some chives in one of the "tree branch pots", don't thinl she did anything for drainage, etc. I think she may be disappointed. He thinks drilling drainage holes would split the wood, always has an answer whether it is right or not. No time to think about that now as I called the Palliative Care nurse and she talked to the doctor. They want to evaluate him and will come out to the house if he feels he isn't strong enough to make it to clinic. So, have to discuss it with DH and see what he wants to do.

On facebook today a woman posted a picture of a long trunk of a dead tree her husband cut down and laid it on the ground, anchored it in place and dug if out so she could plant. Showed her starting to plant her flowers. Really was neat, but didn't mention sealing it or drilling holes for drainage. Someone took our idea. LOL Just too hot here to even think of going out. Got to over 100 here, hope you fared a lot better.

Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Sami,
It's been hot here, too. Decided to go to my summer schedule. Get up early, and work while it's cool. When I start feeling hot I come inside until it cools down. Today I turned on the a/c, for the first time this year.
Still looking at the wood. I think I'll get a couple of the horizontal and a couple of the vertical limbs. My concern is being able to move them. I'm sure there are lots of variations on the idea. Ours will be unique. :-)
Did Darwin decide to go in? If he doesn't feel up to it, the Dr. May be able to do a video conference. Please tell him I said Hi. I'm keeping you both in my heart and prayers.
WIB~
SW

Palliative Care nurse came to the house today and he is now in their program. A sweet little thing, how can she manage so much. She went over his medications and said she would take care of the problem that was causing him the most pain right now. I think most of the BM problem is over, at least I hope so. She had me get some mineral oil to take by mouth for him to help. Now to get him to eat is the next problem. All I get from him is, "Not right now". Dr. said there is a shot for constipation but didn't know if the pharmacy carries it. Had to be ordered and will be there on Tuesday. Nurse will come out to give the shot. Also if I need help in bathing him they will send someone out. Very good program. Will continue on with the chemo/radium shots called Xofogo. God and the doctors are in charge now. Having a hard time typing, could it be the long finger nails! Time to cut them short so I can dig in the dirt better.

Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Sami,
I'm glad that you are going to have some help caring for Darwin. I've been worried about how you were managing on your own. I had positive experiences with the Nurses who used to come help me with Mom. Now if only she would have cooperated. Sigh.
Yep, give yourself a nice pedi-mani. You need a little pampering.
Gardening is always good for the soul. How are your plumeria doing this year? My oldest one is blooming already. The one I got in Hawaii is just putting on leaves. The ones that you gave me are alive. Everyone is happy except for the Orange plummie. It was getting all wrinkly, so I moved it into the courtyard, from the greenhouse. It appears to be perking up now.

We need to figure out the food for the RU. A lot depends on the weather for me. Let me know your thoughts on this.

WIB~
SW

Prescott, AZ(Zone 7b)

I can pick something up on the way but I won't be traveling the whole distance in one day so it's going to have to be something I can pick up en route. As far as I'm concerned simple is good. And of course no wheat, eggs, potatoes. Basically I'm a salad, veges, and meat kind on eater these days, LOL.

I can bring baked beans with kielbasa or salad. I'm a little concerned about bringing salad in a cooler. It's so easy for the veggies to freeze but if that's what everyone wants, I'll deal with it.

Prescott, AZ(Zone 7b)

I could bring the salad, that's an easy one to pick up on the drive there. I'll be staying within 60 miles the night before.

Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Sounds good so far. I'll find some kind of bbq meat. You all will get a real treat.
On the road with DH, checking out the flowering plants for the bees.
Might not be able to post for the next few days.
WIB~
SW

Prescott, AZ(Zone 7b)

What time is good next Saturday . . . 2:00? 3:00? 4:00?
Jules - How many curly willows can your kids use? I think they get big but are slow growers. I do know you can sell the branches to local florists!
I've been cleaning up from my spring plant sales, putting what didn't sell either in the ground or in the pile for the round-up! I'm also planting succulent cuttings for next year.
Getting excited about getting away for a few days.

Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Dee,
How about 2:00 pm? That way we should be done in plenty of time to get home before dark. Everyone except you of course. You might have to drive after dark.
Been trimming and pruning like crazy. I'll have potato bush in pots for the RU too.
DH just got me a truck load of potting soil, so I'm transplanting this week. The moonflowers need to be repotted and staked up.
How about three of them? Curly Willows that is. DH's best friend put in a request for a yellow canna. Do you have any more? I'll trade you something really cool. You can see what you like in my garden. I've been busy. :-)
Got to go while I've got DH to help. He needs supervision. :-)
Dee, it'll be a pleasure to see you, Shorty, and Sylvia. I'm really looking forward to the RU.
I think everyone knows how to get here, but if you need directions, d-mail me.
WIB~
SW

Prescott, AZ(Zone 7b)

Great! I'd love to see some of these willows go to good homes. And I still have lots of yellow canna. I'm going to bring some peach colored glads too, I have way too many of them and they really are pretty. See ya about 2:00. I'm going to stay in Woodland Hills with a close friend on Saturday night so I don't have to drive all the way home.

Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Yay,
You don't have to drive home in the dark.
Yummy, peach glads sound lovely.
I'm glad that you still have some yellow canna. I like them because they don't get too tall. In my garden, when they get tall, and the wind blows, they have a tendency to break.
The boys will be thrilled to hear about the willows.
I'm looking forward to seeing you this weekend.
WIB~
SW

Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Just thought I'd check in real quick with a reminder to bring whatever you want to trade. Put the name of the recipient on it, if known. Bring something to contain the plants on your way home. Don't forget to protect the car carpet. Do bring your potluck dish. Don't forget the directions, and if you do give me a phone call.
I decided on a pulled barbecue chicken for the entree`.
It looks like we will have the perfect weather here for the weekend.
I hope everyone has a safe journey, and arrives safely.
I am looking forward to seeing you all.
WIB~
SW

Hemet, CA(Zone 9b)

How many are expecting to be there tomorrow?? I may not be able to bring plants to share, because of situations I've been dealing with. What time SW?

Well, tomorrow is the day and I know all of you are going to have an enjoyable time. It has been a little crazy around here so I haven't had too much time for gardening. I hope to see some pictures posted so I can feel I have joined you. Hope you all have a very nice time. Hugs

Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Sylvia, I believe there will be four DG members present. DH and the kids will be around but mostly to scarf up the food.
We plan on getting together about 2:00 pm.
Just be sure to bring wine, or chocolate. Or both. :-) Seriously, don't worry about the plants. Between Dee and I, well, there are plenty to go around.
Samigal, thanks for the reminder. I need to charge the camera battery. I will try to remember to take lots of photos at the RU. We will miss you and Darwin. Please tell him that I said his favorite hammock misses him. As do I.
Time to get some rest. Tomorrow will be a good day. :-)
WIB~
SW

I think DH will miss his hammock too. I know if he was stronger and feeling good he would love to be there, as would I. He does some strange things that makes me just shake my head, but I know the meds are causing a lot of confusion for him. I have one huge tomato plant, but no tomatoes yet. So looking forward to home grown. Think I will have a spaghetti squash if son and girlfriend share. His garden at her place is wonderful, his secret ingredient is miracle grow. The miracle grow came from my supplies plus a few other things so I deserve some of his crop. He cleaned out the flower bed in front, looks so nice but have no idea what he planted. Guess I'll be surprised.

HAPPY GARDENING LADIES!!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.