Pinterest anyone?

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Sometimes armchair gardening and traveling are the next best thing LOL.

I first read the Anne of Green Gables books when I was eleven. The stories take place on Prince Edward Island in Canada. It sounded so beautiful, and I have longed to go there ever since. Now 40+ years later, I have re-read those books about once a year, Prince Edward Island still sounds beautiful, and I still haven't made the trip. I recently found Carolyn Aiken's Pinterest boards and blog, which contain beautiful photos of her home and garden on Prince Edward Island. Until I have a chance to travel there, to echo JB, "this will have to do".

http://www.pinterest.com/cmaiken/
http://warrengrovegarden.blogspot.ca/

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

My vet goes to Green Gables every year on vacation! Love hearing his tales.

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Put's a whole different perspective on how a gardener views winter:
http://www.pinterest.com/pin/368521181980645420/

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

David now has 300 pins on the "Nice to Have Natives" board - it is so wonderful to see them all listed with pictures in one place:
http://www.pinterest.com/3ddav/nice-to-have-natives/

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Close to finished added to that one, then I'll temporarily pin them onto another board and pin them back in reverse alphabetical order. Want the board to be a reference to direct others to when working with the Northern Virginia Plant Natives Program. Will add cultural information to each if I live long enough.

Have a board Native Ferns For The Mid-Atlantic which has essentially all the Eastern US ferns available posted in alphabetical order: http://www.pinterest.com/3ddav/native-ferns-for-the-mid-atlantic/ . Will have other boards for Vines, Trees and Shrubs, and Grasses

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Sounds like I'll be out in the yard without company today. It sure would be nice if you could rearrange the order of the pins like you can the order of the boards.

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

There is a place on pinterest where you can vote for enhancements. I found it when I went to the Help Center. In fact, I was specifically trying to find out how to re-arrange the order of pins on the boards when I found it. It, and others, are under the "Feature Request" heading where you can add your endorsement for it:
https://help.pinterest.com/entries/21712501-Rearrange-the-order-of-my-Pins

Parkville, MD(Zone 7b)

All these "related pins" are killing me.
So annoyed with that business model.

This message was edited Mar 8, 2014 9:15 AM

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Karen,
I thought I had seen where you could turn that feature off in your profile, but I just looked for it and realized that what I had seen about turning things on and off was only related to email notifications. Right now I like seeing the related pins in my home feed, but I can see how annoying it will get in volume with the more topics and pins I do. I'm not sure if it is already a Feature Request, but if not we should ask for it.

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

All those related pins you have to wade through when you log on are a result of the boards you are following. Reduce those and you reduce the related pins you get every day.

I finally made all my additions to my Nice-To-Have Natives board http://www.pinterest.com/3ddav/nice-to-have-natives/ . Plants are now more or less in alphabetical order and are provided as a reference for folks to look up native plants they are potentially interested in. This board is for native herbaceous perennials, with separate boards for native vines, trees/shrubs, and grasses in the works. A board for native ferns is already in place. Details for the various plants will be added in the future.

This message was edited Mar 10, 2014 10:59 AM

Parkville, MD(Zone 7b)

Thanks guys. I reduced the number of boards I follow and I think I accidentally stumbled upon a fix. If you click on the Pinterest word at the top of the homepage, it refreshes the page and eventually it will refresh without the related pins. Might take two refreshes, but it works. :)

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

That has the same effect as the refresh icon on your browser. If you "un-follow" boards and refresh, the pins offered from those boards will disappear.

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

Terri and David, I am so impressed with both of your Pinterest boards. I didn't even belong to Pinterest until about 5 minutes ago!

Terri, your garden is beautiful, and I'm looking forward to delving into your photos more to get some garden ideas.

David, thanks, those photos will be a tremendous resource to me in my quest to identify all of the flowering plants I see in the woods so that I can get rid of non-native invasive ones.

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Susan, Pinterest has become a wealth of ideas for me. The only board that has photos from my garden is the Aspen Hill Gardens board, I need to get a lot more photos uploaded to it. All of my other boards are inspirational photos that I hope to incorporate some aspect of in my own gardens. The native boards that David put together are now one of my absolute favorite reference points.

Parkville, MD(Zone 7b)

Aspen, gorgeous place you have. I don't think I'd ever leave my property if I lived there! Love the pond pic.

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Thanks Karen. The natural setting is all I could ever dream of. I still have a long way to go getting my own plants to fill in, but I think that is what I love about gardening - so many possibilities and a life time of effort. I just uploaded more photos to it, most are from a few years ago and were taken by my BIL. I REALLY need to get my own camera (and learn how to use it) before this gardening season!

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

The property and house itself are amazing. Everything chosen with such care, and an absolute refuge away from the world. Can't wait to see how the turtle garden evolves. The woods and plantings are so serene and so many discoveries around each corner. Hard to describe. I enjoyed seeing the newly posted photos.

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

I don't have the same gorgeous natural setting that you have, Terri, so I'll look through the other boards for ideas on putting together perennial beds. Your statues and garden art are so attractive and fit in so well. That's a creative art that I lack.

Not having lots of added keeps the natural settings well, natural looking!
I've got to get some of that Iris cristata.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Typwc, It is a truly lovely spot. It didn't come with the pond. Aspenhill and her DH put that pond it. I remember it was quite the undertaking and there were several setbacks. It is a wonderful place. Bring your bathing-suit to the swap. LOL

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Terri--
I just tried the link you posted a ways up--it took me to sign in page. I did...

Can you post one that will take me directly to YOUR Gardens page?

Thanks..Gita

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

The link you want, Gita, is in the very first post.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Pat--

I looked at that---it is filled with "ideas" from other people and places...

Perhaps the sun room is terri's?

Does she have a load of pictures from her own garden? Or--is all that her garden???

Hmmmm......G.

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

There are currently 25 boards that Terri created. Many were done by selecting photos from other sites or other people's things on Pinterest. The board called "Aspen Hill Gardens" has pictures from Terri's yard. Try clicking on that one.

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Gita, as Pat said, "Aspen Hill Gardens" has the pictures from my yard. It is located a ways down on the main screen that has all of the boards that I created. To make it easier to find, here is a direct link to that specific one:
http://www.pinterest.com/aspenterri/aspen-hill-gardens/

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Thank you Pat---

And Terri! Your pictures are beyond beautiful!!!
Nice, nice job!!! Gita

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

Hey you artsy people. I just played a game on my daughters art-class-supplied iPad called "blendoku". Its a color hue and tone based game of arranging blocks of similar color. You might find it fun to try.

Oh I guess you have to do it as an app, on an apple or android device.

This message was edited Mar 20, 2014 8:24 AM

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Sounds like something I would like. Just have to figure out how to get it to try.

Wrightstown, NJ(Zone 7a)

Quote from aspenhill :
David now has 300 pins on the "Nice to Have Natives" board - it is so wonderful to see them all listed with pictures in one place:
http://www.pinterest.com/3ddav/nice-to-have-natives/

I just had a few minutes to relax and visit this board. It gave me so much pleasure I wanted to express my thanks to whoever was responsible for gathering all those wonderful pictures. It brought back so many memories of my darling Mother who had a wild flower garden separate from her other gardens. When I was growing up our summer home was 13 acres of formal gardens, my grandfather transformed the old slaughterhouse into a beautiful old stone house, leaving the bars on the windows that kept the animals from jumping out the windows. He put a large porch on the front of the house facing the creek.
The acreage had a dozen Springs and he used those to make waterfalls and ponds for water flowers. It was a real showplace and it was difficult to keep tourists from wanting to visit the gardens. We lived in PA at the time in a small town called Mount Joy. It was called The Springs. It was located just a few miles below the town in the country of course. We lived there in the summer and in the winter we lived in town because Grandad was the editor and publisher of the small town paper. I wish I had a way of putting the old pictures I have of those gardens on Pinterest. They were all very beautiful but back then camera's and film were used and most of the pictures are faded. I wonder if I could take pictures of the ones I have hanging on the wall.
Thank you so much for my trip down memory lane. Have a great day.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

JB, Sounds like a very lovely spot. 13 acres of formal gardens is quite the undertaking, both in the development and the maintenance. I hope they had some hired help. Mount Joy isn't far from me it is a lovely area.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

JB--

Most Photo Shop programs will refresh old pictures with the push of a button.
I know--because my daughter did that to many of our old photos.
Of course--you would have to scan them into the computer first...

There are many Photo Shop programs---I have Adobe (too complicated for me)
but it can do a LOT! Then--there is Picasa---

Maybe you know someone in your family that knows how to do that.
Or--take it to a Photo shop? May cost you a bit...

Gita

Wrightstown, NJ(Zone 7a)

Holly, we had a full time gardener and he had helpers until they were all drafted into WWII. Then it was me, my Mother and Grandfather. It was a lot of work but I learned how to garden.

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

JB, I echo Holly - it sounds so lovely.

Wrightstown, NJ(Zone 7a)

Thanks Gita for the ideas. I have PhotoShop but do not really know how to do all the good stuff. Also, the pictures I have are all in frames and I am afraid to remove them because they are so old.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

I love this living wreath, got to make me one of these. Now I just have to find a place to buy the plants at a decent price.
http://www.therainforestgarden.com/2012/12/diy-mossy-tillandsia-wreath.html?crlt.pid=camp.riSOVxDVQlPj

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Oh I am headed to Georgia soon maybe the nurseries there would have them at better prices than I see around here.

Parkville, MD(Zone 7b)

Holly, that wreath is gorgeous. You could try Etsy for tillandsia if you don't see any in Georgia. https://www.etsy.com/search?q=tillandsia&ship_to=US

Or ebay.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Turns out that one of the HGHA members grows some so when I get back from all the traveling I have a good source.

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

very pretty

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Nice.

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Me likey!!!!!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.