Pinterest anyone?

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Does anyone use Pinterest? I first learned about Pinterest from ecnalg a few years ago. It is a really nice and easy way of collecting pictures/ideas related to any interest you may have. I have "boards" that are related to gardening ideas, but really, the topic possibilities are endless. I tend to look at it in spurts - sometimes I browse every day for a week, and at other times I don't browse for months.

If anyone is interested in looking at my boards, they are located at:
http://www.pinterest.com/aspenterri/

Share yours if you pinterest and/or specific items that you think someone here may like.

For example, I saw this idea for cobalt blue garden art which really made me think of Holly:
http://www.pinterest.com/pin/368521181980092602/

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Terri, your pins are all so elegant, I'm a bit embarrassed to show mine. Also, most items I re-pinned without modifying others comments. Of possible interest to this forum, I have just started a board to promote local natives in landscaping. http://www.pinterest.com/3ddav/nice-to-have-natives/

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

David, that board on natives is great. Thanks so much for creating it with me in mind after that native plants lecture we went to on Sunday. On takeaway, I was a bit overwhelmed because I don't think I'll ever be scientific enough to do the research for what is appropriate to plant. It is nice to see a photo of each plant all collected together for easy browsing/reference. I see a few that I really want to look for. I like the asarum virginica - it has mottled leaves vs the asarum canadense with plain green leaves that I already have a few of.

As a side note, I only recently modified the comments and separated the pins from one big board to specific boards. I found that I was having a hard time finding the things that I had pinned as the number of my pins grew to 100+.

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

terri and david, In researching plants for my Monarch Waystation project this spring I have been learning more and more about the importance of planting natives, beyond the 'they are more suited to my local conditions' sort of promo.

For instance, there are several >b>species of Goldenrod and Aster that are native to my ecoregion 'coastal plain' that may or may not be native to your ecoregion . Some overlap several areas

Next, I got quite an education on species versus cultivar of that species. A species has adapted to a particular ecoregion or setting (soil type. moisture, cultural needs or preference etc) over centuries at the hand of nature and is integrated to all of the other species of plant, animal, insect microbe, that evolved along with it. This is the species plant from which 'cultivars, varieties, selections and hybrids come from the hand of man. All plants available other than straight species have been selected and bred for certain characteristics of growth habit, form, bloom, color, disease resistance, etc. and then propagated and planted instead of what would naturally grow wild.

In the case of Asters and Goldenrods (prime nectear sources for migratimg Monarchs) there are many cultivars and selections of each 'more suitable' to our gardens -shorter, more floriferous, more colorful, etc- but there is research that indicates that these cultivars and selections of asters and goldenrods do not produce the same quality or amount of lipid rich nectar as the at one time widely distributed species did or do. So the Monarch migration is threatened not only by the loss of Milkweed, but the generation returning to Mexico does not have sufficient supplies of lipids to make the journey, over winter and then return to breed, as species nectar plant habitat has disappeared along with Milkweed habitat, and our yards and gardens are full of less nutricious 'cultivars'!

I did find that looking for how a plant I am looking for for Monarchs or other pollinators is propagated is a kind of key: 'open pollinated' being preferable as it maintains the natural genetic diversity of the species, while 'vegetative' results in a clone of one set of genetic expression, which may or may not sustain the wider ecosystem in which it is placed.

So, my Butterfly Garden/ Monarch Waystations will look more 'weedy' and 'messy' and unkempt or wild than I originally thought when I was going for neat tidy versions of nectar sources, but I err on the side of best richest nectar source and not empty calories. Kinda like 'heirloom' asters and goldenrods!

Don't know how much of this applies to other 'natives' but I suspect a lot.

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Judy, the lecture that Terri and I attended on Sunday was entirely on the various definitions of "cultivar" and the significance of each usage in terms of native population restoration and wildlife utilization.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

I love pintrest and quite often cruise around looking at all kinds of things. But I don't keep my own board or repin. I just have fun looking and on occasion use some of the ideas I see.

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

Terri and David you both have great assortments!
David I have bookmarked yours as I know it will be a great resource, and it just looks like a garden!

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Teri, Garden art using repurposed or reused materials is what drew me to Pinterest, but I can get lost there. You've pinned some might fine ones.
David, I never thought of looking for natives there, most interesting. I get into one of those sites and can loose a couple of hours, no problem. It's funny, I search what I thought was a fairly original idea, only to find entire web site on it. Then again, I'll post something about a subject that seems so simple, I think everyone has thought of that, and i'm told to post that. Go figure. LOL

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Aspenhill, I think you need one of these down by the lake.
http://www.pinterest.com/pin/110056784614920915/

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Ric, I started my "Natives" board to help Terri in selecting plants for her yard after we both attended a local presentation on native plants this past Sunday. Then I signed up for a Native Plant Training Workshop under the auspices of the Northern Virginia Regional Commission, a regional council of 14 member local governments in the Northern Virginia suburbs of Washington, DC:

"This workshop aims to develop volunteer community leaders who can positively impact the natural resources of Northern Virginia by teaching others about the benefits of native plants in the residential landscape. Participants will be prepared to assist homeowners, garden clubs and the public at large with the identification of native plant species and help guide plant selection at retail establishments and community plant sales.

The target audience for this workshop are those who have a strong background in gardening/landscaping or naturalist activities but would like to learn more about the ecological benefits of native plants, which species are native to our region, and how to maintain them in the typical garden landscape.

The workshop is free. Advanced training hours are available for Virginia Master Gardeners and Master Naturalists. Participants will receive a free copy of the new “Guide to Native Plants of Northern Virginia” that was developed by the partners of the Plant NoVA Natives Campaign."

I then figured that an easy-to-access on-line visual catalog of plants would be helpful in assisting folks in seeing the possibilities for their yard. I plan to flesh out the descriptions with culture information. By the way, The Plant NoVA Natives Campaign is a partnership between the Northern Virginia Regional Commission, Virginia Coastal Zone Management Program, Virginia Department of Forestry, Virginia Native Plant Society, Audubon at Home, Nature By Design, Northern Virginia Soil and Water Conservation District, and the Mason Sustainability Institute.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Very impressive David, that is quite the undertaking. I'm surprised there are politicians knowledgeable or even wanting knowledge in native plants. Knowledge of natives is the key to sustainability in the environment and a true understanding of Xeriscaping to meet local conditions.

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

David, I see you've been adding a lot of pins to your native plants board - keep them coming :)

Holly and Ric, here is another cobalt blue garden art idea that I thought you might like - flea market find glass vases, bowls, plates made into a bird bath:
http://www.pinterest.com/pin/368521181980539766/

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

I was just looking at that this morning and another one of wood framed panels and blue glass wine bottles. I can't wait for spring so I can get out there and finish my edging.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Ric has been thinking of some kind of design he can incorporate into the brick driveway. I liked this dragonfly http://www.pinterest.com/pin/301952349988573734/ He thought it was really nice until I suggested he make 3 of them to run down the center of the drive then he had a different opinion not suitable for DG. LOL

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

I like that dragonfly - that would be really cool in the driveway, c'mon Ric LOL....

I also thought that pin of the head mound was neat - my mind went to a roadside improvement idea, you know where there are steep slopes around overpasses and ramps - can you imagine the second and third looks it would get!

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

David, et al Just learned that Mt Cuba Center is undertaking research and Trialing of species vs cultivars!

A very interesting article in latest Greenhouse Grower mag called "The Future of Perennial Plant Breeding"
http://www.greenhousegrower.com/varieties/the-future-of-perennial-breeding/

haha LOVE that head coming out of the ground, and the dragonfly !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Parkville, MD(Zone 7b)

Just saw this thread today.
I'll look you guys both up.

here's mine:
http://www.pinterest.com/typwc/

Odenton, MD(Zone 7b)

I just joined Pinterest today. Love looking at the glass yard art/totems, I've been collecting vases, bowls, plates, etc for a while to make some. Had to check out my daugthers' pages too, we are planning a wedding for next year.

oh man Karen, you've got really cool stuff under the Spare Time one. (YeahRight, haha!)

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

This is one from greenthumb and ecnalg's garden that she pinned on one of her boards - it is a repurposed round picnic table top. It was one of the many things that really caught my eye the first time I visited their garden.
http://www.pinterest.com/pin/475833516851591480/

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Terri, now you've embarrassed me. That photo Pat posted is from years ago before we really developed that part of the yard, which is now almost all garden. ;-)

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

You are silly - I LOVE that table top feature!!! I'm so glad Pat posted it so I could repin it LOL. That area looked good even before it was developed - and it is so neat to see gardens as they mature over the years.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Ric and I really need to make an effort to come and see your gardens.

Crozet, VA

Greetings all - Good bunch of my favorite folks chatting here. I find myself going to Pinterest when I need a bit of cheering up or need a break from household chores. I too love the things I find on there and have tried quite a few of the craft projects and household cleaning tips I have seen there.

I don't get to Pinterest or Dave's very much these days but sure do think of many of you wonderful people that I feel privileged to call friends. I am marking my calendar for the Plant Swap in May at Aspenhill's beautiful home. I miss you folks and need to stay in touch more than I have been able to do in the past several very busy months.

I just came inside from doing doggie duty in the back yard and noticed some plants peeking through here and there. I am not sure how much gardening we will do this year and we will do well to half way maintain the things already living here.

Much the same as Ric, I find myself getting lost and spending a lot of hours in Pinterest if I allow myself. I would post my address for my board but don't know how to do so. May contact someone later on about figuring out how to make invites to my page.

Anyway, hoping all are having a good enough weekend and those attending the seed swap are having as much fun as we always do at these get togethers. Take good care all and I will be in touch.

Ruby

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Ruby, Always so nice to hear from you. I have been wondering how your and John's new venture is going. Really looking forward to seeing you at Terri's

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

I like these and was thinking you might be able to make something similar out of Hypertufa or maybe plastic pots and then spray paint or coat them with a textured paint.
http://www.pinterest.com/pin/75364993738437377/

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Oh, Ruby, dear. I was wondering the same thing. Praying the new venture is going well. Thinking of you.

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Here's my garden accessories board. Many repurposed things, but there is also a Repurposed board and of course a garden board. The photo is a close-up of the recycled tabletop covered with moss.

http://www.pinterest.com/domegardener/garden-accessories/

Thumbnail by ecnalg

Hi Ruby!
We think of you both and hope things are going along well. You're doing better than many to have actually tried any of the crafts and tips you saw on Pinterest!

wow, Pat, love all those garden objects and sculptures.

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Sally, there are so many wonderful ideas out there to try -- or just pin. David just alerted me that someone must have hacked my account as there were pins on there this morning related to fitness! Usually they relate to chocolate when not in the gardening category.

hacked, oh no!!!!!!!!!!!!!! chocolate, oh yesssssssss!

Wrightstown, NJ(Zone 7a)

Just noticed this thread about Pinterest and had to butt in and say how much I enjoy visiting some of the boards listed above. I feel like a kid in a candy store....I would love to have so many of the gardens and plants and other goodies shown there.

I think Pinterest , for me, is like taking a long walk and stopping and looking in store windows, or enjoying gardens, and some of the fashions are so much fun. At my age I am so limited on where I go, Pinterest is where I go to relax and get lost in my dreams.

If you would like to see some of my pins I have collected over the years please feel free to take a look. http://www.pinterest.com/JBsPlants/

Keep on pinning. I just love them all.

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

JB - nice to hear from you. I like Pinterest too. It seems like I can get lost in it for hours. Everything is so linked together that one pin leads to another, and another, and so on.... I enjoyed looking at your boards!

Quote from aspenhill :
It seems like I can get lost in it for hours. Everything is so linked together that one pin leads to another, and another, and so on....

and that is why I am (generally) avoiding it like the plague. I already have too much online...

Parkville, MD(Zone 7b)

Sally,
Come to the dark side!!!!!!

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Oh yes it is sooooo good on the dark side.

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Virtual gardens are so much easier and cheaper to care for.

Wrightstown, NJ(Zone 7a)

When I feel completely overwhelmed with little stuff that causes stress, like snow, cold, etc. I go to Pinterest and just get lost in all the fun things I see there. It really breaks the mood and puts my mind on other things. Of course, I would rather take a plane to Florida, but for now this will have to do.

haha hee hee!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.