Brugmansias in February 2014

Clifton Springs, Australia

This has been a very unusual summer all over the country and our Brugmansias have come thru the heat reasonably well....Even the cold varieties (Sanguineas, etc) are showing just how tough they really are..

Mites have been very bad in Victoria and in my case my first experience with them....they have silvered the leaves on most of the coldies, not so much on the warm ones.

Thank goodness we will soon be over the worst of the heat and into the gentle coolness of Autumn...I for one, can't wait....and I know that all my Brugmansias agree with me...

Jean has been doing it tough with hardly any rain for ages, so when the Autumn rains come, if there is anything she needs to replace, I know she can count on us...
Here is her favourite..Glasshouse Angel....

We came from here...
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1345967/#post_9763086

This message was edited Feb 6, 2014 3:46 PM

Thumbnail by Seachanger

Thanks Dianne.
I will keep in mind your offer as the weather eventually cools down.
I am just passing through on my way to bed. Its still very hot here and we have plenty more days of heat to come.
GHA is doing me proud here. Full of flowers no matter how hot it gets.
Of course the flowers burn in the heat but lots more pop out.
I think he is setting an example for those growing along near him as they are looking pretty good too.
Ivoire, DPnG, Tantra, Fernando, old Apricot and my lovely Senorita Rosada.

I will be moving the others that are under the ash tree soon. They will spend autumn /winter in the shadehouse near GHA. .
The mites are still here but I think I'm winning the battle.
The Iochromas are so tall. They are not bothered by the heat at all and are flowering like mad.
I may even move the few neglected ones that are out among the bottlebrushes. The two I have near GHA along the greenhouse do a great job of shading the brugs and there is room for a couple more . They also dont require the constant watering or fertilising like the brugs.

Well I hope you are all coping in the heat.
I am off to bed.
Heres my GHA last week. You can see a few toasted tips here and there.
A bit paler in the heat but still lovely.

Jean. .

Thumbnail by Seachanger

Jean, I transferred you over to the new thread....
I don't have a flower on anything at the moment, everything is crispy....
Lots of buds though...

A cool morning here but it will get up into the 30C's.

Thanks Dianne for the new thread ...same here !

Maurice, I have seed pods on some of my Datura (thrilled) hope yours are doing well, they sure have weathered the Summer well. They may start to finish up in the next few weeks as the overnight temps start to drop, I hope they have formed those underground tubers things ^_^
Your yellows are beautiful, you have done a great job with them.

Well it's Friday again so happy weekend all ...as we prepare for Autumn and all the beauty and loveliness it brings to our gardens and our lives.

chrissy

Thumbnail by

Whew only 93F right now ...so much for the whispering of Autumn lol.
Hope everyone is ok !

I received some lovely Morning Glory tree cuttings today, new to me ...has anyone grown these from cuttings ? any clues as to the best way to strike them.
I figured that I would try to root up a couple in water and stick a couple straight into a sandy mix.
Many years ago I received a cutting but I think it was too cold then and I lost it.
Any tips would be great ...thanks in advance ^_^

Edited to correct my 93C to 93F don't you just hate nanna moments ? much more frequent when it's hot ! :-)

chrissy

This message was edited Feb 7, 2014 6:25 PM

Chrissy, what is a Morning Glory tree?

It's this one ...a tree version of the morning glory.
There are other colours too but I was told this is fairly rare here. It will be available at the garden show in Brisbane I believe. In limited quantities.

Anyone familiar with it ? (grown from cutting).

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/93513/

chrissy

Read the posts and it certainly is pretty, seems to grow readily from cuttings...according to the posts.....hope it grows for you....

Victoria, Australia

Have some sanguinea 'deep red' x arborea seed available if anyone wants. straight out of the pod.

West of Brisbane, Australia

Just wondering, is this supposed to be JACAYNA (not JACAYANA) x The Chief.
There doesn't appear to be a brugmansia called Jacayana ...?
It's a pretty disappointing brug, based on this photo at any rate.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

And then there's this one, spelled Jaycana.
I assume it's supposed to be Jacayna?

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

I have put in a query for you cestrum, I suppose it's a mistake but there could be another spelled differently.

We try to correct things we find wrong ...spelling is a common mistake. There are thousands of entries, so it's great to have some help ^_^.

If these entries are incorrect I feel sure they will be rectified as soon as they are checked.

Thanks for pointing them out.

chrissy

I only noticed because I was interested in finding out a little more about Jacayna. I have a few seedlings from it and it seems to be a disappointing parent, with its strong suaveolens genes from its pod parent (Frosty Pink) overriding the doubles genes of its pollen donor (Lexy) and producing seedlings that seem to be inferior to both parents, to my eye anyway. Interestingly, its great-grandparent is Tutu, which is believed to be knightii.

I meant to say that Jacayna is pretty but it seems to be producing inferior seedlings, which is a trait that I have (wrongly, perhaps) attributed to its suaveolens parent (although Frosty Pink is pretty in itself). Mind you, any day now someone might produce an absolutely stunning brug with Jacayna as its parent!

This message was edited Feb 8, 2014 11:03 AM

This is what I was looking at ... produced in my early enthusiasm

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

I think the German breeders are no longer using Suaveolens much, for that reason. They were used early on to give fragrance (and size I think, but not sure on that one).

Jean's plant was lovely but it's like winning the lotto with some.
The more you see, the more you realize how different some results can be.
Don't forget we don't see most of the plain janes because people are reluctant to post them into the seedling/data thingo. This leaves us with probably mostly only the best results instead of all the results.

We are trying to change that. It will change ...when more of all kinds of results are posted.

chrissy

Which is Jean's plant?

If you look around in the Galleries you will see the family trees starting to appear where it is possible to track them, it's a great new feature.

You may get some lovely Brugs out of your crosses, like I said it's a lottery (Genes instead of power balls :) )

Hopefully we might see your results in the data bank.
Congratulations on your newly named crosses which will be formally announced in the coming Herald. Beautiful Work there ! by you and Dianne ^_^

chrissy

Sorry a Nanna moment ...I thought her Sweet Jaffa was a Jacayna cross (don't remember why I thought that ). Too many Nanna moments in the heat.

It isn't.
http://www.brugmansia.us/forums/index.php?/gallery/image/7399-sweet-jaffa/

chrissy

Ok they are mis spelled and will be corrected soon,
thanks again for pointing them out. ^_^

chrissy

Sweet Jaffa = Perfect Harmony x The Chief
I did have seedlings of Jean's (#44 Perfect Harmony x The Chief) x Glasshouse Angel but, although they germinated easily, they simply did not like it here, even though they were planted in a bed with other brug seedlings which are growing OK. I might have a struggling seedling left but there's something about my growing conditions that seems to kill them. Same is true of the sanguineas and arboreas: all germinate well and then sicken and die.

Croydon, Australia(Zone 9a)

Cestrum, I have a number of Jacayna crosses and they all seem to have very strong suaveolens influiance this is not really a bad thing if your really interested in hybridising as the color should come out if you cross back with a double
If you look on the first post
[quote="SolMan"]This is where 2013 ends
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1343023/
I do find that the color range is vast in this cross and am happy with it,
Just like Chrissy stated the Germans have stopped using it but we would not have some of the most amazing plants in the world with out it
I have also known that White Ruff is a bad parent tho I have found with Brilliant Orange its a stron color trait even with such strong genes as WR

Congrat to Dianne for the most currant of crosses to be named which I only found out last night going throw the BGI gallery which is Peach Fantasy

Also with the new features in the BGI gallery of the family tree Al has been doing much work and I have been looking after all the Australia CV as the pic's come throw but then Al check them and then adds to the gallery
Its a great tool an instant look at the genealogy of a plant Cv

Thumbnail by SolMan

Lovely to see yellow and pink blooms on the same plant. So Peach Fantasy = Ruffles and Flourishes x Bergkonigin? Dianne has some amazing seedlings, including the coldies. I really do think we're at the stage where each person could pretty much grow out at least a few of their own pretty brugs from seeds.

Are you referring to the double white brug on the Dec 2013 page calendar, Shaun? Is that a suaveolens cross? I still can't help feeling that the necessary suave crosses have already been done overseas and there's no need for me to reinvent that wheel! PS Is Brilliant Orange Bucks Fizz? I have a seedling of this and it looks pretty much like the parent; would be interesting to see it crossed with a double.

What is this family tree in the BGI gallery? Can someone post a screenshot of one?

This message was edited Feb 8, 2014 12:57 PM

*Completely* OT but I wanted to show what today's desktop picture looks like ... sometimes I wished I lived in Europe! The only thing missing is a few strategically placed brug standards :-)

This message was edited Feb 8, 2014 1:02 PM

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1345967/
The first post of 2014
But I do know what you mean with the wheel but it sure can be improved to allow other traits to come throw the possibilities are endless

Brilliant Orange is Bucks Fizz
Buck's Fizz : a later synonym of 'Brilliant Orange'.

You mean the orange one here http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fp.php?pid=9737748&extraimg=2 , Jacayna x Angels Flight? Endless possibilities is all too true ... you could end up with hundreds of crosses from the same parent, just looking for that je ne sais quoi (listen here: http://www.howjsay.com/index.php?word=je+ne+sais+quoi&submit=Submit) . And if I had unlimited resources, I could do just that ... but space is almost out, water and time are tight, so it's a matter of priorities.

Not that I'm saying anyone else should stay away from suave crosses, just that I don't want to pursue them.

Sorry, the labels don't show in the thumbnails: I see that all three singles in Post #9737748 are Jacayna crosses.

This message was edited Feb 8, 2014 2:07 PM

In fact, I've seen a double yellow Jacayna x The Chief x Angels Swingtime, which no doubt has now been named, which is very pretty indeed.
So, yes, you're quite right: there are unmined gems there.
And your osAP13 is rather fetching ...

Victoria, Australia

I now have seed available of:

sang 'deep red' x [strying vulsa x sang 2 'deep red']
[strybing vulsa x sang 2 'deep red'] x arborea
[strybing vulsa x sang 1] x arborea.

Lucas you sure are working on the cold group this is great for Australia
I have quite a few that are about yo bloom once the weather cools down and many only 12-18" tall with there first y

Victoria, Australia

Also just saw a attenborough doco on hummingbirds on tv, which included footage of one pollinating b. sanguinea.

cestrum ...all fixed in the spelling of Jacayna ^_^

Shaun, yes lots of lovely Aussie grown Brugs to feature in the coming Herald. It should come online any day now, then it goes to print.

lucas great seeds may they make lots of beautiful babies ! ...yes it's really exciting to "spot the brugs" on the tv. They are becoming more common than the once rare gems that they were.

chrissy

Ooops I forgot the family tree thingy ...hope you can see it too.

chrissy ^_^

http://www.brugmansia.us/forums/index.php?%2Fgallery%2Fimage%2F7897-sea-nymph%2F

cestrum, I didn't realise that Peach Fantasy had been put onto the galleries already...but I aged 10 yrs when I read your comment "Peach Fantasy = R & F x B".....I thought."My god, I've put the incorrect cross and it might be in The Herald".........I am very pleased to say that the correct cross is A.Swingtime x A.Exotic...

I too was very interested in Jacayna..the colours and the shape caught my eye, but have come to the conclusion that Frosty Pink is just as good if you are going for the Suavs...some of the FP pics that I have taken have the same colours as Jacayna...so as with all of them it depends on the day, what colour they will be...
I know that Liz was crossing J a lot with Angels Swingtime....

This message was edited Feb 10, 2014 7:53 AM

Just had a thought,
Lucas, how are you handling the coldies in this weather....mine in pots were devastated by mites, for the very first time..
I tried everything that has been suggested....They didn't really damage the ones in the ground, but the potted ones look dreadful.....they are shooting again all over so it isn't permanent but they are so unsightly...I will do as Shaun has done and take off the leaves....

Had to put a Riverland Frosty Pink on....this was last week...the flowers are almost finished now, 'till next flush.

Thumbnail by Seachanger

Sorry about the near heart attack, Dianne: I didn't recognise the yellow blooms in the gallery! And there's no connection between the seedlings there and their registered names, when they later become registered.

Thanks for the link to the BGI family tree, Chrissy. Looks pretty similar to what I started doing; great minds, eh. And correct spelling is therefore confirmed as:
Jacayna Jacayna Jacayna Jacayna Jacayna Jacayna Jacayna Jacayna Jacayna Jacayna Jacayna Jacayna Jacayna Jacayna Jacayna Jacayna Jacayna Jacayna Jacayna Jacayna Jacayna Jacayna Jacayna Jacayna Jacayna Jacayna Jacayna Jacayna Jacayna Jacayna Jacayna Jacayna Jacayna Jacayna Jacayna Jacayna Jacayna Jacayna Jacayna Jacayna Jacayna Jacayna Jacayna Jacayna Jacayna Jacayna Jacayna Jacayna Jacayna Jacayna Jacayna Jacayna Jacayna Jacayna Jacayna Jacayna Jacayna Jacayna Jacayna Jacayna Jacayna Jacayna Jacayna Jacayna Jacayna Jacayna Jacayna Jacayna Jacayna Jacayna Jacayna Jacayna Jacayna Jacayna Jacayna Jacayna Jacayna Jacayna Jacayna Jacayna Jacayna Jacayna Jacayna Jacayna Jacayna Jacayna Jacayna Jacayna Jacayna Jacayna Jacayna Jacayna Jacayna Jacayna Jacayna Jacayna Jacayna Jacayna Jacayna Jacayna

Now I just have to stop misspelling Butter Bomb as one word ...

Quote from Seachanger :

I too was very interested in Jaycayna..the colours and the shape caught my eye, but have come to the conclusion that Frosty Pink is just as good if you are going for the Suavs...some of the FP pics that I have taken have the same colours as Jacayna...so as with all of them it depends on the day, what colour they will be...

Frosty Pink is of course the pod parent of Jacayna, so you would expect the same strong suave influence from it. I wonder, though, given that Jacayna has a double parent (pollen donor, Lexy), whether you might be likely to get a double seedling faster by crossing Jacayna with a double than when crossing FP with the same double? I suppose someone who has both and is keen to try could experiment by crossing them with the same double to see if they get any double seedlings. If not, repeat with the first-gen seedlings and compare results.

I think that you are correct re Jacayna should give a double faster than FP......
Though apart from Patricia Watsons I couldn't find any in either data base....
It might have been The Chief's influence...

This message was edited Feb 10, 2014 7:54 AM

Victoria, Australia

My plants have been nearly completely defoliated by the mites, some completely so, both in the ground and potted. They look deciduous, and do so every year around this time. It's fine albeit might look unsightly, they will come back in Autumn. I don't bother with treatments because the mites will just come back the same come next 40 degrees day.

I think that your method of ignoring the mites would be the way to go for me in the future, no matter how I soaked them with whatever I was trying, it was useless.....so I will just accept them in the future..
I might not get them again, but seeing they have discovered my garden, I daresay ' they'll be back'...

Victoria, Australia

Interestingly after I stopped spraying the mites (I gave up after like you trying many treatments unsuccessfully) i noticed small predatory black beetles and silvereyes started appearing and fed on the mites and caterpillars. They didn't make an impact on improving plant health overall but it's nice to just see some urban biodiversity.
I think sometimes it's wise just to let nature take its course...
Come some Autumn rain your plants will be beautiful again.

lucas my thoughts exactly.

They grow well without human intervention in the wild, you want Brugs ...you will never have perfect leaves, the lacy leaves are part of it all, unless you want to use stuff that may kill the good guys as well as harm us and the environment.

chrissy

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.