Variegated Cuban Oregano

Portage, WI(Zone 5a)

I have lots of the more common (?) small leaf, green Cuban Oregano - stuff grows like a weed. This variety is new to me. Gets a nice colored tinge on the leaves. I assume this is its way of saying thanks for enough light. Searching Dave's and Google I did not see ny examplees of this in pix. Any thoughts? Thanks. Gene

Thumbnail by gasrocks Thumbnail by gasrocks
Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Gene, the title you have says Variegated, but yours doesn't look variegated. Is it? Mine is a lot more mix of white with the green. Might be just the lighting. It is a lovely plant. Yes, it does very well. But, I don't think it is edible??

Portage, WI(Zone 5a)

Yes, green and white variegated. For the pix I was after some with the nice color - most leaves are very green and white. I'd never eat it but many talk about using it in cooking. Gene

Portage, WI(Zone 5a)

Another pix.

Thumbnail by gasrocks
Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

That is beautiful. Actually, even tho it grows very fast, it is one of my favorite plants. Going to google edible and will let you know.

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Funny, the very first response in google says it is NOT edible.

Next one says it IS and also is used as medicinal. A long article on dishes to use it in, takes the place of thyme, sage, etc. lists a lot of uses.

So, if you want to use it for cooking, I would say to go into google and read it for yourself and then decide. If you do, let me know what you think.

I just typed in: Is Cuban Oregano edible?

Portage, WI(Zone 5a)

Don't wait for me to try it out. I cannot imagine doing so.

Dartmouth, NS(Zone 6a)

I have the plain green, I love this plant. Never saw the variegated or the purple before. Just beautiful! Now I'm gonna have to try and track those down too. (I don't think its edible, I sure wouldn't try)

Portage, WI(Zone 5a)

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1350598/

In case you did not notice my other thread. Gene

Peachtree City, GA(Zone 8a)

I have eaten the variegated and non-variegated Cuban oregano. I have view pictures on the internet and there must be more than the 2 types. The leaves on my green Cuban oregano are large as seen on the plant to the front left.

Thumbnail by weeding
Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Wow, nothing like mine was. I lost it when i spent a long time in the hospital recently.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.