Signs of spring

Eau Claire, WI(Zone 4a)

It seems such a distant memory, please remind me of those first feelings & thoughts you have when you know that spring has arrived. Spending a week in the Caribbean didn't seem to lessen my desire to shorten winter, but it sure felt good. :)

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Lol...I feel so sad for you going to the Caribbean and all... ;P

Seriously though, being where you live, hasn't this winter has been pretty cold even for WI? At work, we have at least 4 major vendors in various parts of WI and they are always saying how cold it is this year.

Anyway, my first harbinger of spring is usually our Hamamelis Intermedia x Arnold's Promise beginning to bloom. Usually our Mahonia Japonica 'Bealei' isn't far behind it. I'm anxious for our Cyclamen and Helleborous this year as they've both had a full growing season to get themselves comfortable.

Eau Claire, WI(Zone 4a)

"...harbinger of spring..."

One of my very favorite expressions. In fact, when you hear me break it out, spring has arrived. It's a combination of the senses that lets me know that something has changed. Of course, after I experienced this sensory bliss spring of 2013, we had 9" of snow dumped on us. So much for that.

Eau Claire, WI(Zone 4a)

Lookin' for a harbinger; can't find it anywhere...

Thumbnail by Pseudo Thumbnail by Pseudo Thumbnail by Pseudo Thumbnail by Pseudo
Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

brrr……
I'll be checking my Mahonia also, but not considering it a sign of spring.
Wintersweet has a dozen blooms this year but ditto.
Snowdrops, emerging daffodil leaves….not quite there yet. After snowdrops the first really spring flower in my yard is Crocus tomassinianus. But they are often destroyed by bad weather and go quickly.
I used to watch a kids' nature show from Canada called Nature Nut. In one episode he talked about the actual length of seasons according to signs in nature. Spring started much earlier according to his observations- a nice thought.

Eau Claire, WI(Zone 4a)

Quote from sallyg :
Spring started much earlier according to his observations- a nice thought.

That is a nice thought and I'll try to hang on to it throughout this week, which is supposed to be very cold starting tomorrow. However, It's mild and sunny today, which is a rare thing this winter. Even the birds and squirrels seem more playful than normal. They take it one day at a time. :)

(Robin) Blissfield, MI(Zone 6a)

My first harbinger is my Helleborus Lenten Rose. Starting out as a cream/green bloom, every year it gets more pink coloration. That makes it doubly exciting. I've also got a new one to look forward to this year, I'll be looking forward to smelling my Sarcococca for the first time. Yea spring, I'm ready!

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

Mine will likely be the Hamamelis mollis 'Wisley Supreme', with its blessedly fragrant bright yellow blooms.

I don't count Viburnum ×bodnantense 'Dawn' anymore, since it can bloom any time from Christmas onwards - if it notes a ray of sunshine.

Thumbnail by ViburnumValley Thumbnail by ViburnumValley
Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

nothing like the gentle breeze that bring a soft fragrance to your nose.

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

My first feeling when I think spring has arrived: sheer unadulterated joy.
My first thought: Oh God, let it be here to stay.

Cute dog, Pseudo! It looks as if he/she is wondering why you're not coming out to play.

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Poor Pseudo, the beauty and tragedy of 4a caught up in one pic. Cute dog, keep him/her from the snow drifts ;p

Eau Claire, WI(Zone 4a)

Quote from meadowyck :
nothing like the gentle breeze that bring a soft fragrance to your nose.

That's it! And feeling the suns warmth on my skin as it rises in the sky.

Witch-hazel flowers are so interesting. I may be off base here, but they remind me of a kinky version of Fringe Tree.

Eau Claire, WI(Zone 4a)

She's a sweet little thing, but kind of neurotic. Loves people, but hates other dogs.

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Hazel catkins out now ;-)

Resin

Thumbnail by Resin
Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

I saw snowdrop foliage peeping up, and lilac buds swelling…to be blanketed tomorrow in 4-6 inches of 'signs of winter'

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

Resin, what species of Corylus is that?

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Darned English and their signs of spring :sigh: We're getting a snow storm tomorrow and the polar vortex is back :( We have at least a solid 5 weeks or so until the first snow crocuses break the surface.

Quote from Muddy1 :
Resin, what species of Corylus is that?

Common Hazel Corylus avellana - the common local native species.

Resin

Quote from Sequoiadendron4 :
Darned English and their signs of spring :sigh: We're getting a snow storm tomorrow and the polar vortex is back :( We have at least a solid 5 weeks or so until the first snow crocuses break the surface.

Sounds like fun!

A very mild winter so far - I've seen a few snowflakes, but none that have settled yet. No doubt there'll be some in the next month or two though. Sometimes, the heaviest snow of the winter here is in late March or even April. So realistically, it's still late autumn, rather than early spring. But the Snowdrops are starting to flower ;-)

Resin

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

haha...nice. Our gardens have gotten sufficiently covered today in the powder. Enjoy your snowdrops!

Eau Claire, WI(Zone 4a)

Why is it that Corylus colurna hasn't become more popular as an ornamental tree? It seems to have many positive attributes, including cold hardiness and drought tolerance, but I rarely if ever see it offered at nurseries. Its habit reminds a bit of Tilia cordata 'Greenspire', which has become very popular to the point of being over planted. What do you suppose is holding it back?

It's taken off in popularity here in the last ten years or so, seeing it appearing quite a lot in urban planting schemes.

I wonder if part of its rarity is due to the perceptual difficulty some might have over the idea that a hazel can be anything other than a multistemmed shrub.

Resin

I can answer Pseudo in one word:

Japanese Beetles.

I solicit your equivalent opinion about other trees' lack of popularity that "...have many positive attributes, including cold hardiness and drought tolerance..."

Acer negundo
Acer saccharinum
Celtis occidentalis
Pinus banksiana
Populus deltoides

These are at least native trees that contribute to ecosystem services in ways less attributable to introductions from elsewhere.

BTW: this species is quite common on streets in Germany, and we are fixin' to plant a few around Louisville this season.

Edited to remove excessive italics...

This message was edited Jan 24, 2014 6:27 PM

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

What about Corylus americana? Is it also devoured by Japanese beetles?

In my opinion, the issue with Japanese Beetles is a cosmetic one (mostly) and is non-fatal. In most instances of foraging-damaged plants I have experienced, the victim merely pushes out some additional foliage and life goes on.

This JB damage makes a difference in the eye of the beholder mostly when the victim is a specimen tree all by its lonesome out in the middle of the yard. It is much less an issue when the victim is one of many shrubs mixed in with other victims and non-victims - a more diffuse damage, if you will.

Therefore and forthwith...I believe Corylus americana is subject to JB browsing, but goes mostly unnoticed by its placement and status in landscapes - like many other species.

As well it should be.

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

Thanks! I made the mistake of looking through yet another plant catalog, and Corylus americana caught my eye....so many plants, never enough room.

Eau Claire, WI(Zone 4a)

Quote from ViburnumValley :
Therefore and forthwith...I believe Corylus americana is subject to JB browsing, but goes mostly unnoticed by its placement and status in landscapes - like many other species.

As well it should be.

Does that mean it fades into the background and isn't much noticed by humans?

Eau Claire, WI(Zone 4a)

I solicit your equivalent opinion about other trees' lack of popularity that "...have many positive attributes, including cold hardiness and drought tolerance..."

Acer negundo
Acer saccharinum
Celtis occidentalis
Pinus banksiana
Populus deltoides

These are at least native trees that contribute to ecosystem services in ways less attributable to introductions from elsewhere.This message was edited Jan 24, 2014 6:27 PM

Are you implying one should plant these, ah, choice natives instead of Corylus colurna simply because they're native? Ya gotta give me something to work with here, John. Pinus banksiana? Really? I find it confusing 'cause you later write that you'll be planting these in Louisville. There must be some natives that could be planted...

It's awfully cold up there for you to be baiting me - but per usual, I'll bite.

Not "fade into the background". The JB damage on Corylus americana will likely be unnoticed because this plant usually isn't a front-and-center use.

You again apparently don't read, as a first language. You made a statement quizzically lamenting why such traits as cold hardiness and drought resistance haven't catapulted Corylus colurna to stardom in hearts/minds of gardeners across the universe.

I merely wondered if you held the listed steadfast native species (which support myriad forms of fauna and associate with even more flora friends) in as equally high esteem - since they exhibit these traits before your eyes daily, without any of the wisest gardener's assistance whether or not he gets out of Nature's way.

And then you seem befuddled, flummoxed, perplexed.

Maybe thou needst sip some of the sacred syrup which issueth from central Kentucky springs...subsequently, soothing sanity surrounds.

Eau Claire, WI(Zone 4a)

(1) It's awfully cold up there for you to be baiting me - but per usual, I'll bite.

(2) I merely wondered if you held the listed steadfast native species (which support myriad forms of fauna and associate with even more flora friends) in as equally high esteem - since they exhibit these traits before your eyes daily, without any of the wisest gardener's assistance whether or not he gets out of Nature's way.

(3) And then you seem befuddled, flummoxed, perplexed.

(4) Maybe thou needst sip some of the sacred syrup which issueth from central Kentucky springs...subsequently, soothing sanity surrounds.

(1) Think of it as ice fishing...

(2) I do indeed hold the "listed steadfast native species" in very high esteem, just not in an ornamental sense. I very much admire them in their natural haunts and have a deep sense of appreciation for the role they play in promoting a healthy eco system. While they all have their place in God's kingdom (I should score some points for that), they do little to inspire this gardener, which I think is one of this forum's main purposes.

(3) I know you like words, but I think "confusing" was adequate.

(4) Amen, brother.

I can hear your sisters politely applauding - nothing over the top or garish.

I think (FWIW) that this forum is for exchange of information about Trees, Shrubs, and Conifers. Inspiration may be implied or inferred - but isn't alway necessary.

I believe it was in a prior incarnation (which may offend some from which you just scored points) that you posted an image of what I remember to be quite the inspirational Acer negundo! Since I think that one was taken in a cemetery, it would be worth, er, resurrecting here.

I also recall on one of my long-ago trips across the hinterlands - Montello, WI it was - seeing an absolutely stunning Populus deltoides right at the roadside. State champion, it was - even had its own historic marker.

Great big impressively oak-like in stature Acer saccharinum populated the landscape, much as Quercus macrocarpa, Quercus muehlenbergii, and Fraxinus quadrangulata do around here - to the point of near humdrum-ery.

Something about familiarity breeding contempt seems to fit like a glove here...

Eau Claire, WI(Zone 4a)

Since reading is a second language for me, please explain your reason for veering off in this direction. Are you merely trying to get those of us on DG to opt for natives over non-natives in a general sense, or are you trying to make some other point that somehow eludes me? There are of course impressive old specimens to be found, but for every stately specimen of Jack Pine, Boxelder, etc., there are untold numbers of ratty trees that are best utilized where nature placed them. I think we can all agree that the best course of action is to protect the environment so they can thrive and fulfill their evolutionary functions.

Veering...

Merely trying...

No, just asking questions of statements - to elicit clarity.

I don't think I make any secret of promoting the use of native plants. I also don't object to growing plants that are not. I will always wonder why choices are made, as I have here.

As to your point about specimen vs. ratty - you can say that about EVERY species on Earth. This would be a poorer place to inhabit were it otherwise.

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

I like the line that the Virginia Native Plant Society draws in the clay: native plants are preferable, but non-natives are okay as long as they aren't invasive.

Anyone following this forum is by definition so far ahead of the game it isn't funny, due to their interest in planting and caring for trees and shrubs. Birds and squirrels don't much care what kind of plant shelters them and their young. They only ask that people don't prune shrubs into tiny little geometric shapes.

Hawthorn leafing out here now, after one of the mildest winters on record.

Resin

Thumbnail by Resin

Happy Hamamelis - at least till Wisconsin blew into town again this week.

1. Hamamelis vernalis Beuerlein's Baby™
2. Hamamelis mollis 'Wisley Supreme'
3. Hamamelis x intermedia 'Jelena'
4. Hamamelis x intermedia 'Jelena'
5. Hamamelis x intermedia 'Diane'

Thumbnail by ViburnumValley Thumbnail by ViburnumValley Thumbnail by ViburnumValley Thumbnail by ViburnumValley Thumbnail by ViburnumValley
Eau Claire, WI(Zone 4a)

Resin, I'm on the opposite end of the weather spectrum: This is one of the harshest winters on record. The misery index is at an all time high. I'm not sure there is such a thing, but if there was, it would be a record. I read an obituary this morning that simply said the deceased preferred to die rather than go through more of this winter. Yeah, it's that bad.

Happy Hamamelis - at least till Wisconsin blew into town again this week.

Hamamelis vernalis Beuerlein's Baby™

That one sounds interesting. What can you tell us about it?

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Yeah Resin, don't brag too much about your mildest winter on record, you might find some angry Wisconsoners outside your door with clubs...LOL

I checked out our Hamamelis this past weekend and they were just starting to come around. I expect that with this cold weather though it might be another 1-2 weeks before they are in full bloom.

(Robin) Blissfield, MI(Zone 6a)

Resin, are you worried about getting another hard frost? I hope you enjoyed your warmest winter yet...I think we had ours last year (could use a few more).

Eau Claire, WI(Zone 4a)

One positive trend over the past few winters has been the ample snow we've received. It's a pain in the a$$ to move it, but very beneficial in the long run. I'm sure the folks in California would appreciate some additional snowpack in the Sierras. The situation out there is dire.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.