Signs of spring

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

I really haven't had that many yet. I'm not sure why. This has been the 3rd time it's bloomed in our gardens. I watch out for seeds and see them in late summer but then they seem to disappear.

(Robin) Blissfield, MI(Zone 6a)

The good thing is you'll probably get more blooms each year it grows and you'll get a yearly window to catch those seeds. Perhaps the wildlife keep better tabs on them.

Glen Burnie, MD

Only thing flowering here so far are my Hyacinths - 10 of 'em - pink, white, purple. Buds coming out on a lot of stuff, tho. 50 degrees now, rain & fog. Looking forward to my Baltimore Orioles' Opening Day 3/31. I work in the First Aid. Spring may not be quite "sprung", but it's tryin'!

Eau Claire, WI(Zone 4a)

Quote from carol13 :
Looking forward to my Baltimore Orioles' Opening Day 3/31. I work in the First Aid. Spring may not be quite "sprung", but it's tryin'!

Your counterpart for the Minnesota Twins is likely to be treating frostbite on their opening day.

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

My witch hazels bloom erratically. I've heard of alternate year blooming for some other ornamentals, so maybe it's so with witch hazels also. Mine are also gradually getting shaded out, so that's reducing my blooms, too.

Being the weekend, I meant to get out to see what's happening this weekend, but it's still in the 30's so far today - just not pleasant. Supposed to warm up later today for a beautiful tomorrow. Can't wait!

Eau Claire, WI(Zone 4a)

Supposed to be close to 60 here tomorrow. That should get rid of some snow. :)

(Robin) Blissfield, MI(Zone 6a)

I was thinking about that alternate year bloom too. Too much shade will reduce the blooms but WH like some shade, don't they?

Waiting patiently for warmer temps here too, 60's sounds great.

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

I always thought that Hamamelis wanted some shade. I'm pretty sure the ones at Longwood Gardens are being used as small understory trees. Where they are I think they get all day long bright shade.

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

This thread is too long. I'm starting a new one...

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1356304/

See you there.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.