2014 NEW YEARS Australian Brugmansia

Croydon, Australia(Zone 9a)

This is where 2013 ends
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1343023/

This is the new year 2014
Happy NEW YEAR to all and i hope that every one is safe a sober

The new year came in with a bang and the last year was a great year for the Australian Brug Collection with some 12 new named CV this year is the year of the first seedlings and we will have many of those.
I had over 100 seedlings that bloomed in 2013 and i have a load that will bloom this coming year probably over 300 if my calculations are right with the currant crop i will only be keeping 16/100

i hope to see more of your seedlings in the BGI database this year as we all have good Bad & the Ugly seedlings that we really don't want people to see but we need to let people know what the cross dose

i have had a very up & down year with illness and travell but the big up was the first double that i had designed with Tantra x.Ecuador Pink i was told i was like a girl with a puppy

pic:1
i have opened this thread with one of my most currant blooms of
Betty Marshall x.Rosalla which is a white double with a drop dear gorgeous Lemon fragrance

Pic:2 AP13(Deep Pink)
Pic:3 BQ13(Coral)
Pic3: BX13(Orange)
I have also got pics from a single cross from Liz which has out surpassed every thing i could think of in 1 cross which is Jacayna x.Angel flight they all follow Mum but the colors WOW
it looks like i could keep all of these as a collection and a series if there is a white it will be even better

Thumbnail by SolMan Thumbnail by SolMan Thumbnail by SolMan Thumbnail by SolMan

Well done Shaun, so glad you are feeling better and the rewards are coming to you now.

It's a brand New Year ^_^ ! Yay ! we survived 2013, it wasn't all roses that's for sure but hey here we are.

Looking forward to all those babies !

chrissy

Korumburra, Australia

Happy New Year all. Chrissy I was thinking of you with all those plants in pots. I did a review and I only have 10 brugs in pots and they are seedlings too small to plant into beds. I estimated with this years seedlings that I have about 350 including cuttings which are all in beds.

I am very fortunate that I have no problems with bugs. But there is plenty of light and breeze.

I try to find homes for plants that I may require later. I am the president of the local horticultural society, and we have about 50 members, but I am also on the committee of the neighbouring one which is the local governed centre for this shire, and it has 200 members.

I take the brugs as plants in pots or as flowers in bloom, and members are frequently wanting to buy them, but instead I give them ones that I may need later.

I would not assume that the problem with the bugs is related to the plants being in pots and mine being in beds, but there would be more air movement in the beds.

With the new thread I will take some pics of the seedlings now and my layout for next springs seedlings, as these will need two years in the spot they are in.

Happy New Year all Maurice

Merino, Australia

Lovely blooms Shaun.
I like the deep pink in the 2nd pic.

Maurice, nice to see you here in the new year .
You are going to have some lovely bloom later from all those seedlings.

I am not doing anything much at the moment as its trying to rain.
The brugs are all looking nice and green. I cut all my coldies right back for the summer and already there are many new shoots.
I am hoping this will make them a bit more bushy instead of the tall lanky things they were.

My aureas are blooming and I see buds again on Mango Cornet .
For me here in my area, aside from the aureas, Mango Cornet is by far the best brug I have .
It always has flowers from late spring into autumn. The mites are not bad on it and it grows well from cuttings.
I still cant believe how poorly its parent ( Bucks Fizz) performs here.
Maybe I need to get a new cutting as I only ever had the one.
Anyone have one to spare ?
I just wish that Clementine and a few others with lovely flowers would do as well as MC.
Sweet Jaffa is also very good and blooms well .

Shaun , one of my favorite whites is your DRC. I love it.
A bit slow to flower here but once it starts there are plenty of blooms.

I am watching a couple of babies from Sweet Jaffa x GHA in hopes they will do well.

pic is DRC... how could you not love it ?

Dianne, I do love your Topsy too..lol
( and Tantra)

Going to sit and relax with a cuppa now. Hope all are recovering form New Year.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset
Clifton Springs, Australia

Happy New Year, everyone...it should be a beauty...

Buck's Fizz, Pink Panther and Topsy doing their annual thing....
They never fail...
I will register Topsy this year as Alistair suggested...it isn't a very glamourous name, but it's always been Topsy...besides no one will want to take that name before I do register it....lol

Thumbnail by Seachanger

Hi Jean,
We must have crossed.....I will send you a piece of Buck's Fizz tomorrow.....
Clementine is magnificent when it behaves, but this year, I have had an enormous flush but at least 50% have been malformed.......still the perfume is there...
It should behave in the Autumn...
I'm glad that you like Topsy, I wouldn't be without it....here he is...
Dianne.

Thumbnail by Seachanger

Jean im so glade that DRC is a fave of yours i love the show it provided when in full bloom i have had flowers on it since late winter and has not had a day with out them

I also have 2 plants of Clementine and the blooms other then the very first on each plant were deformed and the rest were very organised and settled down well, but of all the brugs that have come in to my yard i would have to say Jean's 'Opale Etiole' is the performer for 2013 it has bloomed 3 times since i got the cutting and it has never let me down with any of its blooms always a double stuffed inside the pink gets deep and the fragrance is different i cant put my noise on it but i have so-come to its beauty!!!!!!!!!!!!! I WOULD HAVE THIS REGESTERED ASAP

here is a new bloom from 27th Dec 2013 a cross from Cestrum
THANK YOU CESTRUM for this beauty!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Pink Sweetie x.Golden Butter #2 this is a very elegant bloom around 35 cm long it starts of white has golden ribs then with age it colors up to a light apricot color the fragrance is sweet talc x.
i already am looking at KEEPING this one and it also has a name but that will come with age also like most names they should not be reviled till they are officially named as it gets very confusing in the market place

Thumbnail by SolMan Thumbnail by SolMan Thumbnail by SolMan Thumbnail by SolMan

Great Pics everyone ...when posting pics for the data system please use a transparent and appropriate watermark, bearing in mind they will be published at a later date if registered.
These are great !

Hi Maurice ...wow that's a lot of work !

Jean can choose to register it, now since it is two years old and bloomed true ^_^ go for it ! Same with Topsy.

The same for any of them that have met that requirement ...must be healthy, free flowering and (hopefully, but not really required- perfumed).

2014 will be a big year if the Weather allows- 2013 was not all that great here, but good in some areas, specifically the Coldies line down South, can't wait to see the coldies join the registered Brugs ...*clapping* ^_^

chrissy

This message was edited Jan 1, 2014 7:21 PM

cestrum wanted Pink Sweetie changed to Strawberry Milkshake so you can perhaps call it Pink Sweetie aka Strawberry Milkshake, not sure what to do, as I am waiting for a further flush on this plant so as to have nice pics of it.

chrissy

Handing this over to you new kids on the block ...I will pop in from time to time just to show anything new.

The Google+ thing is driving me nuts, I don't want a mobile (cell) so it limits me as to what I can do ...too much time wasting for me as the New Year begins.

Have fun and keep on Brugging ^_^

chrissy

Korumburra, Australia

This flower has opened today. It is my first for 2014. Shaun will be pleased to have his observations about buck fizz colour, as it is the pollen parent. The pod is an Aurea My Clementine cross. There are only about 6 left as most of them were lost when I was in laid up in March, with too many for other people to water them.

If any one wants pollen or a cutting let me know. I can't imagine there will be enough room when the seedlings get going.

Thumbnail by mavrice Thumbnail by mavrice
Korumburra, Australia

This post is the seedlings from opposite ends of the bed they occupy. The third item is the same one I posted last month for comparison. The date on the first photo was 11th December 2013. Of course the current ones are todays date.

Korumburra, Australia

I seemed to upset the system as the pic from last month did not get attached. Here it is

Thumbnail by mavrice
Korumburra, Australia

The first of these pics are the cuttings growing in beds, and about to be potted up for display and disposal. The yellow bed is nearest and the second bed has pink cuttings.

The second pic was taken from the back of the paddock to my back fence, the hardiplank green house and then my own house, with the tile roof.

I think there may be enough room not yet occupied for two more seasons seedlings.

I would appreciate any advice the more experienced may have. I have had to make it more simple and closer or I would not get every thing done, as my strength and energy are still compromised from the op.

Maurice

Very pretty Clementine cross, Maurice......nice way to start the new year...
That's a lot of cuttings, do you sell at a market?

maurice what a choir you have put your self under with your health
the field looks great and the plant will now have a permanent place close to home
that orange cross looks a bit more neat then that of clementine

Oh Shaun ...choir ? I think he means chore Maurice, though you would most certainly have a huge choir of Angels in your garden (the Floral kind of course).

Just popped in to say I have submitted Swan Lake for cestrum.Wayne allowed me to use his pictures.

Jean nice to see yours in there ...there will be another issue (Feb) in a few weeks so anyone wanting to confirm names should get them in soon. ^_^

chrissy

West of Brisbane, Australia

I'm glad you like PS X GB#2, Shaun. Interesting that it has an apricot tinge. From PS? Or maybe the unknown pollen donor of GB#2, which might well be Old Apricot. My GB seedlings all seem to have that lovely citrus perfume, which is a real treat. Here's GB#2, FYI.
Chrissy, here are two iconic photos of Pink Sweetie now Strawberry Milkshake, if you want to submit them for rego. (So Wayne is calling *his* seedling Swan Lake? It's his baby as he's growing it out, but I'm chuffed that he likes the name. That regal flower named itself LOL)
Maurice, your double yellow/gold seedlings are just lovely and almost make me wish that I had Clementine. Almost because ... lack of space and watering. I see you have plenty of space, but I'm at a loss as to how you manage to keep them all watered.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ
Korumburra, Australia

Cestrum, that is a good question. I live in a very high rainfall area. Very far south, further than Shaun. Our reserves are over flowing. In the new location I will be dependant on the public water supply. There is no prospect of restriction at present. They are watered by hand held hose, so that waste is minimised and that used is well directed.
Another of the 2012 seedlings has flowered for the first time, Pics attached. No deformed flowers. Very attractive doubles.
Dianne, the seedlings resulted from my trying out Alistair’s sand system. They were in the sand for months in the winter and in August, as the seedlings slowed up, I potted them on in potting mix. And then decided to put them in beds. I am nearer to 80 than 70, so can see point in making a few dollars in selling, and I need all my resources for propagating.
Your contributions are in that bed, so have snapped them for your observation. Fernando is the more vigorous because it struck quicker.

Maurice

Thumbnail by mavrice Thumbnail by mavrice Thumbnail by mavrice Thumbnail by mavrice

Hi cestrum,

the pictures you popped in may not be large enough to published in the Herald, not sure about that, by the time I clipped the upper watermark off the pics it does not leave a lot.
So you have any larger ones ? If not, I can but try with these ones.
What about your double pink, I forget what we decided (can't think in the heat) ...I wanted to call it cestrums double pink when you were missing ...where did we leave that ?

For the data submissions, please if possible try to take more than one picture. A profile, and a face at least. Plants must go into the seedling/data system before they can be registered later.

Maurice ... I feel so silly, for some reason I had it in my mind that you were up North until you mentioned your were further South than Shaun. You should do very well there, give the Coldies a go too ! ^_^

chrissy

Hi everyone ...

cestrum, Wayne has told me the plant Swan Lake no longer exists, very sorry for the confusion (that's a shame) my fault.
So I have withdrawn the Submission for the Herald, the Data still exists showing the results of the cross.
I have posted a copy of your Strawberry Milkshake in the Cultivar discussion thread to see if they can use it. I am waiting for a response on that.

We only have about three weeks to get the submissions in, so anyone else who wants to name their Brugs in the next issue needs to get cracking on it. Failing that, the following one will be about three months away. Good luck Aussies ! let's see if you can fill those pages ^_^

chrissy

Merino, Australia

A cool morning here, but will warm later.
Yesterday was windy and cold for most of the day. The wind has been blowing the brugs around but no damage to them.
I found buds coming on one of the arboreas.
I was beginning to think I would not see any flowers on them.

Colleen, your RFP is putting on more buds.

I also have buds coming on Maya again.
Lots of new growth on the coldies since I cut them back.

My lovely Senorita Rosada is growing well in her new place in the ground.
She looks a different plant out of the pot. With a bit of maturity, she not such a slow grower.

Lots of seedlings powering away and I am hoping for some flowers next season from them.

Maurice, you have a brug farm there. so many to water.
I would be putting a drip system on them .
I have some of mine out where the irises are on the drip lines and they do well.
Very pretty yellow brug you have there.

No pics from me as I havent been taking any while I've been busy with hubby,

Lots of flowers to look forward to as we creep towards autumn.

Jean.

Chrissy, I thought the photos were just going into the online database, so my misunderstanding. Here are two high-res photos of Strawberry Milkshake (that was Pink Sweetie) as HR as my old camera allows; don't have higher resolution. One in profile and one as close to face-on as I can find.

As for Phanomenal x Superspot: call it ... Coral Sherbet. It's as good a name as any. The coral refers to the colour, and the sherbet to the perfume.

This message was edited Jan 5, 2014 8:55 AM

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

*Feedback regarding picture Strawberry Milkshake.

*What a beautiful picture! That is too small to use - is there an original that is larger and doesn't have the writing?*

Sorry I did my best cestrum. I should have just admired your pictures (I will think of it as Strawberry Milkshake).

Jean I hope hubby is progressing well, I know how much it takes out of you caring for someone.

chrissy

They are indeed beautiful cestrum ...sorry we crossed posts.

I know you want the writing on them so I can't do it ...so sorry, I tried.

chrissy

I will ask again about the transparent writing ...that second one may be acceptable.

Don't forget that the whole World will know it's your picture once it's a published picture in the Herald. If you feel more comfortable you can send me the unmarked pics privately if this one is rejected too.

chrissy

Let me explain it this way for everyone ...when you buy a book or magazine, you like pretty pictures, you probably don't want to look at watermarks and copyrights on the face of the pictures. Think of it that way ...so the pictures you submit for World Wide International Magazine should be what you would love to look at. ^_^.

I certainly don't want to push anyone into something you aren't comfortable about ...just explaining things. ^_^

chrissy

Ok, Chrissy, have sent you the original photos.
Maurice, I use a handheld hose too, and my little patch takes *ages* to water. Just too hot and, increasingly, dry here with the only rain coming from infrequent storms. (And yet the mozzies still manage to hang around and swarm over me as I stand there watering!) I really miss gentle rain; I'm possibly one of the few people who watch the BBC programs and revel in the everpresent drizzle!

Ok ...I have asked if those pics are ok, fingers crossed ^_^, we might not know until tomorrow.

Oh yes I love the drizzle too (sigh).

chrissy

Sorry no go on the pics ...guess we have to wait until the next flush on someones plant.

Advised to take portrait type pics ...high resolution (I don't even know what that means)

Portrait means taller rather than wider.

Good luck everyone !

chrissy

As I said, that's as large a resolution as my old camera can take.
So no photos I've got would meet that requirement ...

Since at least three of us have it ...it could go in without pics with all the others from everywhere without pics (it's a list with the name and cross etc at the back of the magazine.) these are known.I will ask Alistair when he returns (he is traveling at the moment) ...or we can leave it until the issue after next hoping no one wants that name.

We all know it as Strawberry Milkshake ex Pink Sweetie. ^_^

chrissy

strawberry Milkshake is it i have & will relabel all plant material and any seed crosses that it in-tales
but for some reason it still think that pink sweetie takes priority
Chrissy you should ask Alistair about this issue????

Cestrum what was the cross for SbMs????? x.Pink Sweetie?

Bruce’s Pink x Alphonse Mucha (was Pink Sweetie, now Strawberry Milkshake)
Hybridised by Alistair
Grown out by me

Here's a little treasure from the past, found in my gardening diary when checking the above info. From Alistair, May 2008:

'Bruce's Pink' x 'Alphonse Mucha'. You may get some vigorous mite-resistant pendent pinks out of this cross. Plus some whites I suspect.

All I ask is that if you get some nice results you post them in the forums and if you decide anything is worth naming as a new cultivar that you let me know as the hybridiser.

I had from memory 13 seedlings, all but 3 of them white, with this one being the pick of the bunch.

This message was edited Jan 5, 2014 3:38 PM

If cestrum had plant with a nickname to begin with, then shared it with you, but at a later date,changed her mind and informed us before it was registered, then it really is her choice.
Many Brugs are known by various names, but cestrum grew it out to flowering in the first place and shared a cuttings of her plant, therefore it is her choice if it is to be registered.

It's like Bucks Fizz ...we know it as Bucks Fizz, it is known as Bucks Fizz but not accepted as the registered name because it was registered as Brilliant Orange.

It's kind of like ...say, on your birth certificate it reads Jennifer, but people call you Jenny.

You may be known as Jenny,Jen or Jenny Wren, but your real name is Jennifer.
Registering the Brug is like the birth certificate. Jennifer may be known by many pet names but the real name is the registered one. Pink Sweetie is not registered.

Hope that makes sense to you.

chrissy

This message was edited Jan 5, 2014 5:13 PM

Chrissy i under stand now because it has not been registered that it can be called any thing and the name on registration is its True & proper name all other names are just Pet names !!!

thanks for that i was getting confused

The cuttings look great, Maurice.....especially Fernando.......
Good luck with your sales, it gets expensive with so many to look after...
I just did a stocktake on mine and nearly fainted,I had no idea that there were so many pots around the garden .....not counting this years babies....I have 70 cvs, I think that it surprised me because I sometimes put 2 or 3 of one cv in the pot if it's big enough....
Most of them only have one or two siblings, so there is a lot of diversity....with a couple due to flower for the first time this week, barring wind and weather, they seem to spend a lot of time tipped over lately....
Dianne..

Finally some relief after the heatwave and some much-needed rain too. Haven't watered since Sat morning as it was just too hot and humid to stand outside hosing. Yet most plants are looking surprisingly good and my Joli x Bergk has burst into bloom again. Being under the canopy of the bauhinia has shaded it from the worst of the summer sun and despite my infrequent watering it has been flushing since late winter. Yet the Pink Smitty x Dorthea in the same bed seems to be dying; how odd.

Haven't fertilised the garden at all this season because of the dryness. I know you're sick of the cold in Melb, but 20-deg days seem like bliss from here!

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

That's a pretty flower, cestrum.....I have a Joli x Charleston that is similar...I think that you had the same cross as well...I may be wrong...
The trouble is our 20 celcius is accompanied by a south westerly and it feels like 12 celcius..
At least the flowers aren't being burnt, just kocked about by the wind, you can't win...so all my potted ones that are due to flower are in under the verandah.....
It's very dry here too......

I was going to register Topsy, but going thru my pics, I've discovered that I don't have a full face one.
So I'll wait till next flush.. I was going to register A.Swingtime x A. Exotic, so I'll check out i'ts pics.....
Jean, will you be registering OE at this time?

Merino, Australia

Already submitted , Dianne. OE will hopefully join the other Aussies.
I looked at my pics of Topsy and I dont have a full face one you could use either.
Maybe later in autumn you will get a good pic. I will watch mine too . He bloomed in April/May last year.
i bet you got a shock when you counted your brugs. I know I did when doing mine.
Not too bad here today .
A bit cold and no rain.
Hubby says very hot by the weekend.
Jean.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.