Bringing Plants Inside

Orlando, FL(Zone 9b)

Hello, I was wondering if there are any good ways to prevent bugs from coming in (especially terrifying roaches) with potted plants.

Kure Beach, NC(Zone 9a)

People often hose down the plant with a strong blast from the garden hose. Using insecticidal soap is another good option.
I've never had cockroaches come inside with mine, so I'm not sure what you would do for those.
Barb

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

You might pull the plant out of the pot and make sure there aren't any..horrid roaches.. tucked into some space around the soil and roots. If the soil and root ball are solid I don't think they would be inside that.

Orlando, FL(Zone 9b)

Thanks for the responses! Today I sprinkled ant killer on the soil of the plant in question to chase any away.
The roaches that usually sneak in the soil are the shiny brown ones with black heads, Suriname roaches. I will try a little insecticidal soap, tomorrow.

I will definitely pull the plant out of the nursery pot and try inspecting. That's a good thing since I still need to give it a real pot to use inside.

Sounds like a good plan. I completely sympathize with your concern!

Northern, NJ(Zone 6b)

I have ended up with ants inside so now I repot in fresh potting soil in a clean pot after rinsing off the plant in water. I have also sprayed them with insecticidal soap in the past a time or 2 before the repotting.
I'm only taking 2 back in this year so if you had a lot of plants it would be more labor intensive and costly this way.

Orlando, FL(Zone 9b)

Thanks!

The ants are banished just like roaches, but fire ants pose an actual danger.

After all this, I'm only able to thank you all for the advice, because I decided to leave the plant outside under my oak - I know, what was I thinking! Actually, I'm really trying my luck here, but it seems to take a fair amount of sun and dryness.

I need to correctly ID it, the tag says it's a Dracaena. I'll upload a pic tomorrow.

I can believe that it will be fine in Orlando.

Kure Beach, NC(Zone 9a)

Yes, post a pic. We'll see if we can help you ID it.
Barb

Orlando, FL(Zone 9b)

Ok, so today was gusty and chilly - I'm think we all felt some type of wintry weather. I was going to take a picture, but the container had been blown over...then I discover there was a tag buried in the soil.

It is dracaena godseffiana. Such a different growth habit from other dracaenas, but under my tree it will get some filtered sun, I hope that's ok..

Starkville, MS(Zone 8a)

Early morning and/or late afternoon sun and otherwise filtered sun is perfect for almost all tropical plants. Your dracaena should flourish.

Ken

Orlando, FL(Zone 9b)

Thanks Ken, that's encouraging. Tomorrow with less chilly wind and more warm sun I should be able to tough it out and go outside to give it its new spot.

Silver Spring, MD(Zone 6b)

My neighbor had this beautiful red geranium plant all summer with vinca vine hanging down and she gave it to me. I bought it inside and the geranium is blooming away but the vinca vine leaves have all turned yellow and shedding. Is that normal or should I cut it back half way and just remove the yellowed leaves.?

Powder Springs, GA(Zone 7b)

One sure way to bring all insects and other critters (slugs and snails) to the surface is to submerse the entire pot in a bucket or tub of water for several minutes. Ants, termites, and other bugs are bad enough but the worst is a yellow-jacket nest. I had one in my jade plant many years ago and got a good sting when I tried to move the pot.

pippi- I'm not sure how well vinca does in doors, in general. All the yellow leaves will have to come off, of course. Cut off any vines that are then bare. CHeck the soil and see if the vinca is getting watered. Worst thing can happen is you have to give up on the vinca and you'll still have the geranium.

Orlando, FL(Zone 9b)

Pippi, I hope you can at least save the geranium. I read that the vincas are commonly brought inside for winter in colder places, so maybe they are just going dormant.

Hcmcdole, a yellow jacket nest would have me dead! There were nests in the electrical outlets and light switches while my house was vacant for a few years! The submerging is one I have to try.

I'm waiting to pot my amaryllises for the holidays, I won't have blooms for Thanksgiving though but that' fine, I'd rather them for Christmas.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.