Help! Red/ Green Anthurium

Waterloo, ON(Zone 5a)

I received a RED anthurium, indoor plant as a gift last year.
Now it has bloomed again but the bloom is GREEN.
Is it getting too much light? Is this common? I know it
was red when it was given to me.

Portage, WI(Zone 5a)

Not sure about this specific plant but a general rule: green means normal or needs light, red means it got more.

Stamford, CT(Zone 6b)

A plant only puts on its best show when you meet its needs precisely and is possibly forced by the grower. I think Gasrocks has the right idea.

When you mention bloom, I'm guessing you mean the spathe which looks more like a leaf or bract. The insignificant blooms come from the spadix, which can also be any color. The other part is that you may have more than one plant in the pot, growing at different rates.

I think these plants like to be root bound, so do not put into a container that is too large. It is not likely that you might have too much light but possibly that you do not have the right kind of light to get the desired effect. That is, the spectrum from natural sunlight is different from artificial lights. When the weather is warm enough (will that time ever come?), I would put the plant outdoors in an area that gets morning sun or some shade. If it gets 4 hours of natural indirect or semi-direct sunlight, it will be happier than if it gets 8 hours of direct fluorescent light, despite the fact that it looks fine in artificial light. I would not put it in direct sunlight

Like many other aroids with similar characteristics, you might give it a very light feeding occasionally.

Anthurium is a tropical plant, and you try to mimic those conditions where possible. Too much direct sunlight, especially in hot weather is likely to burn the foliage.

Even though you might not find identical plants, you might learn about some of the growing conditions from the aroids forum. It is the same family of plants. Don't be put off by large plants, as they are products of enthusiastic growers, but they still have similar needs.

Enjoy your anthurium!
Marcia

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.