Koi Food Resource

Athens, PA

Thank you Mary and Belle -

He will be in the hospital 5-7 days, starting out in CICU for a couple of days. This is why they wanted me to be off when he came home, not when he is in CICU.

He asked me about Christmas decorations - I said with everything going on, it was just going to be one more thing. Now I am wondering if I should have said yes. Some cheer and another opportunity to get him moving around.

All these things with his heart have been going on for the last year and a half. Makes me wonder if there is ever any getting better from this type of thing.

The best part is that we are convinced this is all from Agent Orange - we found out recently that in the 70's in Thailand, the govt was using Agent Orange at those Air Force Bases.

(Mary) Anchorage, AK(Zone 4b)

I take it he was there at that time. My first husband was at Parris Island during the time they were subjected to polluted water, and my Dad was at Atsugi Naval Air Station in Japan when the local contractor was burning stuff sending polluted and carcinogenic air over the civilian living areas. In neither case did the military or government do a darned thing until the fall out - literally of cancer and other terrible physical problems.

You should be able to join in the class action for Agent Orange. Aren't they doing something about that now? Not that it is much consolation for what you are going through.

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

MaryMary
I hear ya on upper OH, I lived there for 8 years and oh it was terrible during the winter, summer wasn't bad at all, but come fall, oh I hated it. I'm with you with the flip flops. I haven't worn much of anything else since coming back home to FL.

Carolyn
As a wife of a husband who had a mechanical Aorta Valve replacement, I say do a few Christmas decorations, not a lot just a few while he is in the hospital so when he comes home they are there to welcome him home. My husband had his replaced 38 years ago on Dec 2nd.

I'll be praying for his surgeon, him, and you. When time permits please send us updates.

Mary,
yes PI was bad about the water, I was there at the end of that craziness which now I just tell folks that my problems are from drinking the water at PI.

What I pray for every day is that folks take it seriously when they vote people into government positions. What the government has done to our military drives me nuts. I'm really surprised any young folks want to join up.

Ok I'm getting off that and back to a more relaxing topic, gardening.

For those up north, add a few extra blankets tonight and I hope you don't have to go out tomorrow.

Jan

Athens, PA

Mary - yes, he was in Thailand in the airforce at that time period. There is a class action law suit going on, but good luck with that. There is so much stalling by the government with this law suit. I get the fact that things are going to be backed up, but to ask for the same information, 6,7,8 or 9 times is beyond redundant!

Jan - thank you. A good suggestion and glad to hear about your husband still going strong after 38 years with a mechanical valve. I am hopeful that the valve will help with some of the other problems as well. I thank you for your prayers.

I am definitely into the gardening. I signed up for the seed robin. I had not done the seed robin in several years and I am looking forward to the robin.

Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL(Zone 9b)

I've learned, even here in Florida, that if I don't have time to do much decorating, I make my decor larger or sparkley-er....I take care of my mom, she's 82 and spunky, but limited in what she can do, so I put bigger ornaments and wreaths on her house. It makes more of an impact, with less effort. I found a 5 foot wreath at budget price, decorated by a Floridian "mouse" and it will cover the front of her house. Voila! :)

I am all about large and gaudy. Since I have little decorating taste, I figure bright counts. lol. I want one of those huge inflated Snoopys to go on my front deck. And moving reindeer, and 5' x 5' inflated Christmas presents. Only problem is the wind is bad here so all must be anchored down or they land in the neighbors' yard.

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

ok Mary I want a picture of your yard with the decorations??? LOL

I just found some great buys last weekend at dollar tree, as now that we have a few steps at the front and side door I can wrap them with greenery with some bows. can't beat a buck for items....

Jan

Athens, PA

You are all shaming me into decorating. Perhaps I will do some decorating and put on the Christmas music - some of which makes me weepy, as they bring memories of some family members that have passed.

I used to make wreaths and centerpeices. I should get back into that type of thing. I used to be very crafty - a lot of things went by the wayside when I started to have children. Now that they are on their own, I have more time and wonder why I am bored at times.

I said I WANTED, not I bought. DH would kill me. But it would be so neat wouldn't it. Now if I could just get more than one moose at a time with antlers I could string them with lights and have a real santa sleigh complete with 'reindeer'

Athens, PA

Sounds so pretty.

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

Carolyn,
My neighbor was in his late 70's when he got a new valve and I couldn't believe how hard that man worked shortly after he got home from the hosp. Said he was much better than he was before.
The holidays bring back many memories but I try to remember all the good times we gathered at my mom's. I play Christmas music all month long and sing along with it. Not softly either I might add. When I first came to Fl. I cried all through Christmas as all my family was up in Conn. Now I know it is whatever I make it and because my children (some) are round here I make the very best of it I can for them.
I have a sign out in the garden nailed to a tree "Bloom wherever God's plant you". Makes sense to me.
Recruit neighbors or friends to help you do a little decorating before hub comes home from hosp. Will make both of you feel a little better.
He will be added to my nightly prayer list as of now. I don't now his name but God does.
Take care. Bonnie
PS: M Mary you will be blessed for taking care of your mom. Wonderful that she is down here.

Athens, PA

Bonnie -

You are so thoughtful and I really like your common sense. Thank you for your prayers - hubs name is Dave.

I will have to remember the 'bloom where God plants you.'.

Thank you so much.

This message was edited Dec 6, 2013 5:57 PM

Virginia Beach, VA

Carolyn,
Your Dave will be added to my daily prayers.
i agree of a little decoration.
Try to find out what kind of valve that re using. Sometimes they use animal heart valves. Used to be an OR nurse before I retired.

Bonnie , please post your yard x-mas decors.

Belle

Athens, PA

Belle

Thank you - they are using a mechanical valve. It should be an experience learning to adapt to the coumadin way of eating, but we will get through it. Dave did not want the porcine valve.

Bonnie - I would like to see your decorations too!

Virginia Beach, VA

One of our Anesthesiologist had the porcine valve and is doing great!! It is amazing isn't it?

Belle

Athens, PA

It is truly amazing Belle. I know that he opted for the mechanical valve because they last longer and he was concerned the porcine valve would wear out in later years and then, because he would be older, his risks would be higher.

Medicine has advanced so far - I know particularly with heart problems, that medicine has come quite a ways in the last 10 years.

I found this huge koi vase last year...it's just under 2 feet tall. I filled it with clear ornaments and battery operated candles. At night, I just switch on the little lights and turn the lights off in the room. It gets all sparkley. Weird Christmas decor, I know, but I still love it. :)

Thumbnail by MerryMary

Oh that is so neat. Love it. My kind of decor. Weird. Oh but I repeat myself. lol

Athens, PA

MM - I love it! My Mom used to fill vases with Christmas ornaments and have them strategically located in the house.

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

MerryMary that isn't weird as we all love it, great idea.

Carolyn
Dave will do great and the mechanical ones do do better. As previously stated my DH has just past the 38 year mark, and medicine has come a long way, as after his surgery he was taking so much medicine, but now very little. The worst is right after, because of being on the heart lung bypass, their bodies swell, that is the worse he will look, but within a few days he will look like himself again. Just wanted to prepare you for the shock. Usually while he is in surgery you will be given updates throughout his surgery, so you are just sitting there wondering how it is going. Before the week is out they will have him up and walking the hallways. It is amazing how fast the recovery goes, the human body is amazing.

Jan

Virginia Beach, VA

Dh had a quad by-pass few years ago and i Have to do it again i will not sneak to see him and felt bad to see him with all the tubes.

I was so impressed on all the CCU nurses how efficient they were and the step down nurses.

He will do fine and prayers do help.

Will be thinking of you!!

Belle

Athens, PA

Jan -

So good to know. I had no idea the body would swell like that. I am thinking that the hard part is to keep him moving as he has problems walking and is rather inactive. The blood clots are definitely a concern.

Question for you - what do you do regarding a coumadin diet? I love to cook and am really unsure as to how to approach this.

Belle - thank you. I appreciate the prayers.

I grew up in a medical family and quite honestly - I did not tell hubs this, when I was talking with my Dad about this, he did mention that he had seen enlarged hearts in his work - he was a pathologist for many, many years. But this is also the same person that showed me the pictures of the smoke damaged lungs in JAMA when I started smoking in my teens. (I have been smoke free for a number of years).

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

M Mary, love your vase. Not weird its beautiful.

Carolyn I will pray that the GREAT physician will go into the operating room with Dave and I know he will do fine. First operation I had I was a little scared but by the second & third I was telling the docs jokes on the way in on the rolling table. Can't spell gurney right. LOL

If you wish post your address so we can all send him cards. I love the funny ones.
Bonnie

Athens, PA

Thank you so much Bonnie.

Blessings and prayers. Like Bonnie said, the great Physician watches over! Thanks for the comments on my vase, I'm now inspired to do some other non-traditional things. I like sparkle, I always have. I have glass collections coming out the wazooo, but love looking at all of the gold and twinkle in my china cabinets.

She's waiting for me to turn the lights on inside the vase.

Thumbnail by MerryMary
Athens, PA

So are we - can you send a picture with the lights on? Love your kitty - what is her name?

My SIL loves the lights and sparkle too. She had it rigged up so that she had the little colored Christmas lights in her car over, the sun visors. She was able to keep the lights on by some type of set up she had hooked up to the cigarette lighter. She also has them in her windows in her living room. Not something I have ever done, but I have to say, it so neat. I really love the lights too -

Virginia Beach, VA

From Carolyn--- Question for you - what do you do regarding a coumadin diet? I love to cook and am really unsure as to how to approach this.

My husband had been on coumadin because of few mini strokes and will be on Coumadin for the rest of his life. MRA revealead that the arteries in his brain are tiny so he needs coumadin to prevent further strokes. He is stabilized as far as dosage.
Now google the food rich in vitamin K and also google what is VIt K in relation to bleeding and clotting.
You have to avoid the foods that are high in Vit K such as green leafy veg etc.

Dh had always eaten salads so it was never a problem for him.
It will be too long if I explain what you are going to google.

He will have to have numerous lab work until his levels are stabilized.

Belle

This message was edited Dec 7, 2013 4:13 PM

My understanding is that vitamin K is what causes our blood to clot. Without it we would simply bleed out. Found out this when my dog ate rat poison. It absorbs all the K in the blood stream so the animal starts bleeding internally. You wouldn't even notice for a while. Fortunately I caught him right after so we cleaned him out. He was fine.

Athens, PA

Hubs was on coumaden (I cannot spell that word!) several years ago for a blood clot after surgery. We had an awful time trying to get it regulated. I don't know that we were ever able to regulate it. I am wondering perhaps we had gone about things incorrectly back then.

Jeez Carolyn, you would think that the doctors would be helping and giving guidance. Or the dietitians would help. They can't just hand you meds like that without some information on life changes that need to go with the meds.

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

You would be surprised at the medical staff not really getting involved with what a patient on Coumadin can or should not eat. My DH eats pretty much what ever he wants. His problem which has been this from his first surgery was once he has to go off (he has had to have several other surgeries) and go to Heparin the off for surgery, then back to Heparin after surgery then slowly back on to Coumadin while still on Heparin. He has the hardest time getting his PT regulated. So much trouble that most of the time I finally get the Doctors to let him go home with Heparin shots until all is back to normal, which usually takes a good 6 months for him.

Everyone is different in how they react to the Coumadin so it is hard to say how Dave will do but hopefully he will be an easy fix for him and you.

During his hospital recovery asked to talk with a dietician. The biggest thing is I have to watch the amount of salt in cooking, so that is an easy fix, I barely salt anymore while cooking and we each salt our own plates, as I'm a salt a holic....

So I guess what I'm trying to say don't let the diet keep you up at night, it isn't as difficult as you are thinking.

Jan

Virginia Beach, VA

I don't know if you had noticed that the doctors does not have time to spend time with patients especially the teaching hospitals where residents and Physicians assistants follows them on rounds.

i find that having a knowledge and understanding on situations will help you better understand that is why i asked that you google.

Yes vit k helps with blood clotting and coumadin makes the blood thin so food rich in vitamin k must be avoided.

It takes time to regulate the PT PTT and patients will be asked to have lab work several times a week so the dosage can be regulated.

Food that has red dye, red wine must also be avoided because if there is bleeding it can be detected easily.

I heard though that there are machines to rent or for loans just for this test. You might want to discuss this before discharge.

Then there is the cardiac rehab which is a different story.

Take care and have a good day!!!

Belle

Athens, PA

I had mentioned to Dave that I wanted to talk with the dietician at the VA and again was shot down. I am thinking of calling and going to talk with them without him at this point.

Ironically when all the problems with Daves' heart made their presence known about 18 months ago, I had said to the cardiac people that I would be interested in talking to a dietician and that was shot down by Dave.

Dave's mother and I have talked about it as well and she feels the same way that I feel. My FIL had a heart attack 22 years ago and they have both followed a very strict regimen regarding FIL's heart and he is still quite hearty and hale at 83 years old. I think there is something to be learned from that.

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

stick to your what your heart is telling you. I think it is good that you make a trip on your own to see the dietician. I would say make slow changes.

Also, hopefully they will have the finger stick machine for his PT/PTT as you have a reading instantly. The blood draw is at least a day later.

Jan

Oh, he is just going to love that finger stick. Oh Carolyn, you do indeed have your work cut out for you. It's like he fights you every step of the way as you try to create a healthy life and lifestyle for him. Been going on a long time.

Athens, PA

Mary - it has been going on a very long time.

Jan - he will be going over to the VA clinic several times a week to have his finger stuck. Unfortunately it is the nature of the beast.

Virginia Beach, VA

How far is Va.?

You know he will not be able to drive for awhile.

Dh with the CABG was not allowed to drive for 4 weeks.

Your DH is a handful to say the least, can you go to the dietician by yourself. You can talk to the hospitals dietician before discharge.
Take care.

Belle

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

my DH wasn't able to drive for 2 months, he was very weak from the first surgery, he drove 50 miles with a ruptured Aorta, so it took him a while, then 8 years ago he had to had another surgery and it was another 2 months before he could go back to work and a 3 weeks after he went back to work did he start driving. The first week back I drove him, the second week back he would drive with me in the car on the way to work and I would drive him home he was still tried. Third week he drive to and from work with me in the car, the four week he went on his own with the understand if he was too tried, I would go back to driving him, he was fine from then on.

Try to get in before he comes home to see the dr about his diet. Then you know what to be mindful of.

Jan

Virginia Beach, VA

Carolyn,
you had mentioned that you have relatives who has medical backgrounds, Please talk to them coupled with the internet regarding the foods to avoid.

After all the different posts, it can be very confusing.

Take care.

Belle

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.