Happy Birthday Sallyg!! And many many more

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Viburnum--

I love your explanation of "0". Makes a lot of sense!

It has been wayyyy back that I went to school--everything is rusty.
G.

Central, MD(Zone 7a)

1. Looks like that terrible tree here mimosa. Calliandra Emarginata
2. So the first thing I thought of was the yellow trumpet vine, but it doesn't look like a vine so I looked at "yellow trumpet flower tree." Tabebvia chrysotricha
3. Now this stumped me at first. But I figured the date the picture was taken based on your post , 9/6/13. That helped only slightly. Adding in to my query Australia and a few random guesses at major cities you visited, Brisbane?? Is this a Queensland Tree Waratah, Alloxylon flammeum?
4. Fraser Island Creeper. Trumpet vine again??? The Pink Trumpet Vine (Tecomanthe hillii) native to the Frazer Island, Eastern Queensland, Australia.
5. I'm kind of stumped. The first thing I think of when I see beautiful flowering shrubs in full sun is deciduous azaleas.....I would appreciate a clue.

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

Whippersnapper? Me? All I'll say is
"Preference by L'Oreal...because I'm worth it!"

A 'mimosa' like tree was as far as I was going to go on #1. Paul , you should get points for showing your work, even if your answers don't turn out all correct--- on the flowers.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

I have seen #1 when we were in Hawaii.
If I go digging for my old photo albums--I may come up with a name...
G.

Port Norris, NJ(Zone 7b)

Was away on vacation ... with NO outer ! Sorry I missed your day - hope it
was a truly memorable one.

hugs & happy birthday,
Cris

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Sally, sorry I missed it but always better late than never. Hope it was a good one. And yes, you are still a whippersnapper, Preference or no Preference!

You guys and your math banter just crack me up. Being a math major, I was actually trying to follow it and then realized my math days are long behind me and it was making my head hurt LOL.

Thank you Cris, and Terri ! I don't mind extending the celebration...

8 ^D

Laurel, MD(Zone 7a)

I sincerely apologize for not being on time with greetings for your birthday! I am not on DG nearly as much as I used to be and simply did not see the reminder. I hope it was wonderful and you received lots of wonderful gifts and cake and ice cream too.
Hugs, Shirley

Gosh Shirley, thank you!

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

At the risk of stomping on additional sallyg birthday wishes, I'll sally forth with answers...

Quoting:
1. Looks like that terrible tree here mimosa. Calliandra Emarginata
2. So the first thing I thought of was the yellow trumpet vine, but it doesn't look like a vine so I looked at "yellow trumpet flower tree." Tabebvia chrysotricha
3. Now this stumped me at first. But I figured the date the picture was taken based on your post , 9/6/13. That helped only slightly. Adding in to my query Australia and a few random guesses at major cities you visited, Brisbane?? Is this a Queensland Tree Waratah, Alloxylon flammeum?
4. Fraser Island Creeper. Trumpet vine again??? The Pink Trumpet Vine (Tecomanthe hillii) native to the Frazer Island, Eastern Queensland, Australia.
5. I'm kind of stumped. The first thing I think of when I see beautiful flowering shrubs in full sun is deciduous azaleas...I would appreciate a clue.

1. This image was taken of a sheared hedge along the parking lot at City Botanic Gardens in downtown Brisbane. It is a Calliandra haematocephala of some sort.

2. This image was taken at the City Botanic Gardens in downtown Brisbane. It is Handroanthus chrysotrichus.

3. This image was taken in Southbank Park in Brisbane. It is Alloxylon flammeum.

4. This image was taken in the Mackay Regional Botanic Gardens. Known as Roaring Meg, it is a Tecomanthe sp.

5. This image was taken along a neighborhood road in Clairview. Them's azaleas in tars (Rhododendron sp.).

Somewhere in, MD(Zone 7b)

WOW Paul, you get 5 gold stars!! < =D

Central, MD(Zone 7a)

#2?!!!!

I'm tickled shades of pink and orange about the azaleas.

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

HaHaHa Grading on a curve!

Hey, I would have given you 5 gold stars for getting any of them! Liked your sleuthing techniques, too. Nice to know that plants do have family resemblances!

What's a 'tar'?

Central, MD(Zone 7a)

Thanks coleup, research is my job. Tar-tire. I would like to see more pictures of the azaleas.

This message was edited Oct 1, 2013 8:39 AM

Paul- I figured you are credited with 2- given the similar species name- and the genus name not your fault due to pesky taxonomy.

coleup- you've been around Bawlmorons sometime haven't you?
Tar- round things on cars
awl- what goes in the motor

I'm not the only one here around from the 70s when painting a ' tar ' and planting in it was the height of repurposing!

Crozet, VA

Par for the course.....late as always....anyway, wanted to wish Sally the greatest of all years coming up. You, my great friend deserve any good that comes your way......I didn't read back through all the many messages sent, but will do so when not so pressed for time......Sally, you and a few others were so welcoming to me when I showed up here some years ago. I have truly enjoyed the many laughs and good times together with members of this group. Many of you had a lot to do with helping me through some tough times when I first arrived, and I don't forget people that have treated me well. I can think of your face and get a good feeling in my tummy......you too are good people and I am privileged to call you friend.

Ruby

Silver Spring, MD(Zone 7a)

I'm in a hurry so all I can say is WOW, PAUL!

So impressive!

Ruby! The stink bugs have't eaten you alive!!
Thank you for a lovely birthday wish!

Those bloomin' fool azaleas made me feel like a bit of backroads KY while on the Sunshine Coast of 'Stralia.

For those who can't get enough...glad I took some extras.

Thumbnail by ViburnumValley Thumbnail by ViburnumValley Thumbnail by ViburnumValley Thumbnail by ViburnumValley Thumbnail by ViburnumValley

Wow, that is soooo cool!!!!
... You took extras?? Of what, the Azaleas, or pictures? **giggle**

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

Purdy tars! Those azalea types dress em up real good.

Did you see any Monarch butterflies while down there?

Oh my gosh, those are tars!?!?!!? I didn't catch that the first time around!

Speedie, I was so confused about tars and tires that I had to go back and re-read the previous comments. I thought they were using some specialized hort lingo!

Heeheeheee, yes me too!! When it was first mentioned... I think it was Paul (??) who clarified "Tars = tires". LOL!!!!!!! Thanks Paul, I needed that clarification! :)

Y'all just need to get out more often - the northeast metroplex corridor is stunting your mojo.

Of all the things I took pictures of in Australia (with repeated images close up of buds, stems, leaf arrangement, flowers, leaf margins, pollinating insects, faunal relationships), and this is the one that Paul wanted more info on...

Since this thread has turned into "All Sally birthday extravaganza - even from the other side of the world - All the time", here are some more images from which to have fun and frolic.

Do with them what you will...

Thumbnail by ViburnumValley Thumbnail by ViburnumValley

LOL Viburnum, you crack me up!!!! So that's what happened to my mojo!?!? Must be all the Amish horses and carts I follow behind... inhaling *those* fumes! ;)
I case I don't find it by searching, do you have a thread going on in which you're sharing your photos of your visit to Australia? I would love to check them all out! :)

Im clueless on those two.
The red leaves are beautiful, and have to remember these are emerging, not autumn colors. They look maple-y- but not quite, and asymmetrical - or is it the photo angle helping to trick us?

Both those images are from the same plant on the same morning - spring in Australia.

We stayed at a fine old hotel right in the heart of downtown Gayndah - shoulda been the capital of Queensland, I tell ya - and this was in the backyard.

I haven't regained my Eastern Daylight Time footing yet, so no - I haven't formulated a thread specifically about Australian ambles.

VV, they're gorgeous! Those shiny red leaves are very pretty. I can't believe both pics are from the same plant. Do you have a pic of the entire plant? I'm looking forward to reading more about your trip!

I'll rummage around to see what I can find. Can't believe ANYONE would ask for a pic of the whole plant when excruciating closeups are available...

I'm ruminating over where to start a thread about this adventure. It would fit in Travel, but might be more fun over in Trees Shrubs and Conifers.

Thumbnail by ViburnumValley Thumbnail by ViburnumValley Thumbnail by ViburnumValley Thumbnail by ViburnumValley Thumbnail by ViburnumValley

This tree is the one peeping out at the left of the hotel.

Thumbnail by ViburnumValley
Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

VV--Just start your Thread right here.

Those interested--will find their way to it by word-of-mouth.

WHY? Because we all here are SPECIAL! G.

I'd be ru-miss not to say it sure looks like a maple of some kind by the leaves and bark. But I haven't seen or done such an excruciating closeup of maple flowering before- which closeups seem angled especially not to allow opposite V alternate examination.

Dang it. sallyg is on to me.

S'mores...

Bordentown, NJ(Zone 7a)

Happy belated birthday, Sally. Obviously it's been awhile since I visited DG because I just saw your birthday notice today.

I think of you every time I saw that beautiful purple iris you always share at swaps. The one you gave me was finally dug up this past year and split. The digging/dividing was done by a more experienced gardening acquaintance (than I am) with the agreement that she could take some of the divisions and share with HER gardening friend. So "Lucy" (was that the name you gave it?) has more grandchildren spreading out through NJ!

Hi Nisi!
I'm glad you liked and can share that 'Lucy' no-id iris. I think it's great because its shorter than many of my others and always stands up. And I'd had it long enough , it kept growing and I had plenty. I call it Lucy because that's the gardener who gave it to me some years ago.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.