Your neck of the woods part 4 9/22/2013

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Sally--

I think I already own that title...I feed a lot of people--IF they fall in the
category of-----"I like you a lot--and I know you like me..."--in other words--
we have a "connection"...kind of in our souls. Easy to get along with people.
People that really appreciate the goodies I bring them.
I have to say==most of them are males...even some past ASM's.

I have given up trying to figure this out--just WHAT creates this and WHY
I form these connections with certain people--but I think food plays a big role in it.

There are not too many.....just the "lucky ones".......:o)
It just happens...... G.

Silver Spring, MD(Zone 7a)

Sounds like you put so much of yourself into preparing yummy dishes for your coworkers!

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

Those of us who have attended a swap along with Gita have also been the beneficiary of her largesse. Those pickles -- yummmm.

Somewhere in, MD(Zone 7b)

That's what makes Gita's cooking taste so good, all the LOVE she puts into it!!
She Rrrrrrrreally knows how to love people!!! < =D

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

Don't miss the happy greetings from Bec in Bama, in the forum, new thread!

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

Space heaters and dripping faucets until Tues when Furnace Man can finish furnace repairs begun on Friday. Wonder if he will charge me for the hour and 1/2 it took him to locate 4 bolts to replace badly rusted ones? Seems neither HVAC or plumbing suppliers carried them any longer. He found them at an auto supply store. His comment "Nobody repairs things anymore"

On the other hand there was a "Knife, Saw and Sissors" sharpener man at our local Farmers Market. I got a half bushel of apples and sweet potatoes, and my favorite 'white' sweet potatoes.

Bought six heads of baby cabbage which I will stuff with sage pork sausage. Also got a pork shoulder roast and some lamb stew meat. Missed the turkey! There are now four farms locally raising GMO, /hormone and antibiotic free meats and poultry. To me there is definitely a taste and digestive difference to these sustainably raised products

Sending warm thoughts your way, Coleup, and sure hope the repairman doesn't charge for time taken to locate the parts!!

Sounds like a yummy Thanksgiving dinner. We are looking forward to a nice long, cozy weekend--maybe I'll even get around to organizing that stack of papers in the basement and cleaning out the pantry!! :-)

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Sending you WARM hugs, dear!!!!

Making lists of things to do and things to get before happy chaos starts Wednesday night til Sunday afternoon.

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

Furnace guy will be here around noon!

Amazing how much colder I feel when I don't know when I can get warmer! Just like it feels so much hotter when I don't know or can't control when I can get cooler.

Living in 'layers' here.

Will use the car with the best heater to do the routes this week. My gardening will be of the virtual kind.

Stay warm doing all those pre Holiday doings everyone.

How did the furnace guy work out, Coleup? Do you have heat yet?

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Hoping you are getting warmed up, dear

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

Yea, I have heat
and a brand new combustion chamber.
Furnace looks better and even sounds better.
Cost was $300 over initial 'estimate' so now I have to save up for some more fuel oil for the winter and within a month I need to replace fuel pump and one circulator (another $500-700.) gulp.
Thanks for your concern and good thoughts

PS One of my coping with the cold mechanisms is to make and consume lots of comfort foods!
mmmmm mashed potatoes,

Glad to hear you have heat, though not glad to hear about the anticipated additional costs! :-(

I've always liked split pea and ham soup for cold winter days...

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Glad for the warmth, but sad on the expected additional costs.

Yay for comfort foods!!!!

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Cat--

I like it too---I make a big pot (21qt.) of very thick pea soup--
every couple of years.

Gita's Split Pea Soup

Ingredients:
--4 smoked ham hocks,
--One meaty ham bone--
--Lots of diced ham, plus all the usable meat from all the bones
--2c. diced onions--
--2c. thin-sliced Celery,
--2c rough-grated, or shaved carrots-you want them to "disappear'...
--4-5 firm potatoes--NOT the baking ones...they go to mush!

Seasonings:
Bay leaves--Garlic Powder--Onion powder--dried marjoram--Dill--
lots of fresh-ground black pepper--and some Seasoned salt.
Anything else you like to add.

--Water and Broths--to bring pot to full after bones have been removed.
You can add any saved cooking broths, Potato water, Chicken Stock, etc...
It is ALL good!!!

To Do:
--Put ham-hocks and bones in pot and cover with cold water. Bring to a slow boil.
Simmer for about 1/2 hour, skimming off any foam that develops
--Add all the peas and cook for about an hour--then start adding the veggies
and seasonings.
--Cook/simmer soup for about 2 more hours total.

--Remove all meats and bones to a platter. Keep soup simmering.
--Sit down, turn on the TV and start removing all usable meat from the bones.
Return this meat to the pot. Save the bones for your favorite Dog.
--Now add the diced potatoes...and simmer for about 20 minutes more.
--Let soup "rest" a bit before serving. The potatoes will continue softening
as the soup sits.

You're Done!!!! Enjoy!

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

Phone acting up again.

While I have connectivity, wanted to wish us all a great Thanksgiving. MAF peeps are my comfort food of choice, full of good hearted souls. Enjoy your family and friends and gatherings. Safe travel.
Happy Thanksgiving

Gita, thanks for the recipe! Looks yummy! I've saved it so I can enjoy it soon! :-)

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

Happy Thanksgiving to all!

Central, MD(Zone 7a)

And to all a goof night. Oh wait.

Happy thanksgiving.

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

Goof night? You about described how we handle parties!

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone! Ruby has started a Thanksgiving thread here:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1342805/

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Next week the Garden Club that Ric and I belong to is having our Dec Luncheon. It is a fund raiser for the club and there will be about 200 + people there. They have a silent auction and I have been working on a few things to donate. One is this piece of Garden Art a Glass Plate Flower. Sure hope someone bids on it. I am also making a PennState stained glass medallion. Hopefully it looks good enough to donate. It's all done but the soldering which I will be doing tomorrow night, so we will see how it looks when finished.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS Thumbnail by HollyAnnS

neat!

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

Holly: You are incredibly creative!

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

Holly those are some beautiful plates you have put together! Really like the turquois touches.
Looks like the perfect flower for any of our infamous dry shade gardens ! Bet that silent auction will be filled with ooos and ahhhhs when they see what you have brought.

Very pretty, Holly! :-)

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Thanks guys, I took it down today to the person in charge of the Silent Auction and she very much liked it.

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

She BETTER have. That is loverly!!!!

Somewhere in, MD(Zone 7b)

That's really gorgeous Holly!!!

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Thanks I finished the SG panel and will be taking that over to donate this morning. I am anxious to see how much these two pieces sell for the Glass flower is valued at $45-60 based on ones that I saw being sold at a craft show and $75-90 for the PS panel based on one being sold at the SG shop.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS

how about a blast from the past
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/769399/

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Oh, That was fun looking back. I have several plants from Mita and think of her often, what a nice person she is.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Sally!!! What made you dig that up????? Nice seeing it again.

2007---WOW! Whatever happened to Bobbie (Miata)????

I am up early to go to work by 8AM. I usually then get up at 5:30AM--
so I can "play" a bit on DG. Hmmmm...should i wear my bots???
You have me beat! Middle of the night --and posting???

BAD....BAD...weather coming here in a couple of hours....Snow--sleet--ice--
NOT nice!!! I bet there will be ONLY customers looking for salt and snow-blowers.
Like: "What do you mean? You don't have any????"
G.

I pulled up my Watched Threads list ..you wouldn't believe how many threads are on it. It seems I had many years of sloppily not UN watching old threads. Now I try to at least un watch the ones that get Continued, or the ID ones that get solved.

Holly, so SG = stained glass but what is PS? Very pretty. My roomie used to make night lights for bit of extra cash.

We've had a flurry. I wish I could take advantage of the football game and the weather together to enjoy a hassle free day at the Mall, but I just don't need to shop, OR spend money needlessly. Unless it is on ME of course. Better I should make cookie dough, decorate, shop online, write article.
; ^)

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Sally, PS to a Pennsylvanian is like PA. When a stranger ask where you are from, the answer from many of use is PA, like they should know. LOL Well PS can cause the same strange looks, too many of use ass u me that everyone knows PS is Penn State. Holly's stained glass in one of the PS logos, featuring the Nittany Lion. Hope that's clearer than our speech. Chuckle, chuckle!

I made one of these for our SIL a few years ago for Christmas. Jen and he are both alumnus. Half the time the whole family looks like a PS pep squad.

This message was edited Dec 8, 2013 12:47 PM

OH NOW I see the lion!!!!! I thought is was just modern art…chuckle...

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

OH, YEAH!!!! Me too!

How clever! How minimalistic! How beautiful!

G.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Well the design is not my own. I just copied it. It is a well known logo in our state.

Ah, the Nittany Lion! I had never even heard that term before marrying a PA man.

Holly, that really is a gorgeous PS SG. :) I hope a PS fan went home with it!

Central, MD(Zone 7a)

I have held my tongue long enough...

BOOOOOOO!!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.