Your neck of the woods part 4 9/22/2013

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

We came here from: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1328404/

Thumbnail by Ric_of_MAF
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Coleup, No Alfie doesn't travel with us. The Condos we stay in generally don't allow pets. We have thought of boarding him near our vacation spot so we could go visit him though the week. But showing up for a few hours and leaving him again seems somehow more disturbing. Last year we put him in a Boarding Kennel but this year Jamie and family were available to come in and house sit. So there will be someone here the whole time.
We are getting some of the plants inside today. I gave the plant room upstairs a good cleaning. Not many of them will go up there yet. Mostly things that are going to be kept dormant or semi dormant. Ric came up with a new plan for the one side of the GH. It will accommodate some of the larger pants. He is down there working on it now. I am working on plants that will come inside.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Gita, I used the Turtle Wax Color Restore on Holly's Subaru, and WOW! Comparing the before and after was amazing. It was like someone peeled a dull film off and I only hand buffed it. You can power buff it when you're done, if you are so inclined. All I have left to do is RainX the windshield and wax the headlights with scratch out, then we're Willie Nelson, come Tuesday morning.:-}

Willie="On The Road Again" LOL

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Safe traveling, you two!!!

Tomorrow afternoon if you all think of it I'd appreciate prayers for my DIL in Texas who will be giving birth to our 12th grandy!!! Woohoo!!!

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Vivian is here!!! Almost identical size as her sister Cora. She has a full head of dark hair. 8:13 lb and 21". Woohoo!!

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Oh how very wonderful for you and your lovely large family. Can't think of a more loving family for her to come into.

Parkville, MD(Zone 7b)

Congratulations, Jan. I LOVE the name! I love those "old fashioned" names. We named our boy August b/c it's a family name that goes back generations. We named the girl Adele because we just love the name.

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

COngratulations!

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

Welcome to the world, Vivian, and congratulations Jan and Jeff! So glad you can take your Grand parenting on the road.

Ric and Holly safe travels to you, too. Check back in as you can and enjoy those gardens you intend to visit along the way. Glad you pushed to bring plants in , now you won't have to worry about a cold snap.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

We visited Lewis Ginter Botanical Gardens today. It was just lovely, we weren't sure how good they would be this time of year but certainly weren't disappointed. They had a great Butterfly program with hundreds of Butterflies in one wing of the Conservatory. We took plenty of pictures and hopefully they will be good enough for us to put together a thread of pictures for you all to enjoy when we get back home.

Silver Spring, MD(Zone 7a)

look forward to seeing the photos, Holly! :-) Sounds like a great place.

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Sounds loverly!!!

Odenton, MD(Zone 7b)

I like the Lewis Ginter Gandens, plan to go back for their Christmas display. Good hot chocolate there too!

Parkville, MD(Zone 7b)

Updating for those of you who wanted to attend the Greenbelt Garden Tour but couldn't: Susan Harris, the organizer, posted some videos on Garden Rant here:
http://gardenrant.com/2013/09/video-shows-the-gardens-of-greenbelt-maryland-in-39-and-13.html?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=video-shows-the-gardens-of-greenbelt-maryland-in-39-and-13

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Congrats Jan and Jeff!
Our lap top died, I think it's just a power problem and hope to hook up with a geek Monday to see if it's an easy fix. I'm just checking in on a friends LT and will let you all know. So far, a very nice trip, we've encountered little or no traffic, and are enjoying the view from the lesser used byways. We are now in New Smyrna Beach, Fla. Weather has been great, Bye for now.

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

We like using the lesser used byways also. Continue to have a great time!!

Thank you

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

Ah, the road less traveled!

thanks for checking in- enjoy the trip!

Here's a downer- I googled to see if the Cider Mill in Ellicott City is still open, and all the results were Cider Mill (Housing Development, Homes for Sale)
8 ^P
pooey

Here's yelp about Weber's Cider Mill farm in Parkville, up on Gita's side of Baltimore
http://www.yelp.com/biz/webers-farm-parkville-2

sounds lovely

Parkville, MD(Zone 7b)

OMG Sally, Everyone in my neighborhood goes to Weber's. It is THE place to be this time of year. Doesn't do it for me, personally.... I prefer Chapel Hill Nursery.

I think the prices are over the top at Weber's. I don't want to pay an arm and a leg for a pumpkin. I hate to be one of "those people" but I just cannot pay $15 for a pumpkin when I can get it for $5 at Walmart. I just. can't. do it. I support local agriculture but geez. What are they doing, sending their kids to Harvard?

Odenton, MD(Zone 7b)

Guess what I did yesterday!? The pictures should give you a clue.

Thumbnail by Catbird423 Thumbnail by Catbird423 Thumbnail by Catbird423 Thumbnail by Catbird423 Thumbnail by Catbird423
Central, MD(Zone 7a)

holy smokes! That is awesome.

AAAAAAAAAIIIIIIIIIHHHHHH!!!!!!
I'm palpitating just looking. WAY TO GO ROBIN!!

Parkville, MD(Zone 7b)

Wow! That's so cool! And what perfect weather we had yesterday.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Robin--You GO! Not sure i would have the guts...I am NOT the adventurous type...
This will be a forever memory.

What made you do this?
How did you prepare for it?
Did it cost you a fortune?
WHERE did this take place?
WHO was your flying angel????

Now that it is over--share with us how it felt, please.
Would you do it again? Silly question, I know! of course you would!!!

Gita

Wow what an amazing experience! Looks like so much fun! :-)

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

You go!!!!! Awesome

Odenton, MD(Zone 7b)

It was the hardest, scariest thing I have ever done, and no, I will not do it again. I am proud that I did not back outonce the instuctor opened the door of the plane (8-10,000feet up), I admit I was questioning my sanity at that point. And he wanted me to put my feet out of that door and on a little step? What was I thinking? But I did it, it wasn't pretty (basically forgot all the instructions I had been given). Hated the free fall, had my eyes closed almost the whole time. Once the chute opened I started to enjoy it, I could open my eyes and look around.Once we landed I decided that was it, been there, done that (did not buy the T-shirt but did get the video and pictures).

I did the jump at Skydive Baltimore, they are located in Churchville MD. I had purchased a Living Social deal so it cost $159, the pictures and video were another $119 I think.

It was an item on my bucket list and a self test, could I really do it? YES I could do it! and now I don't have to ever again, lol.

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Wow Robin who knew you were up to something as awesome as this - way to go

I think it was incredibly brave of you! Not sure I could have done it! It makes me wonder what else is on that bucket list of yours! :-)

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Yay for bucket lists!!! Way to go, girl!!!

I could fly all day long, but to jump out, NO WAY!! Unless it was an emergency!

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Wow! How exciting and love the photos. What was the actual landing like?

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

You go girl! That price wasn't bad by todays standards.
7 shark attacks in the last 2 weeks, closing one local beach for the rest of the day.
signs on the beach dangerous animals sighted. LOL
puter is still poop. Ric

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Wow!!! Ric. That seems like a huge number of attacks.

Central, MD(Zone 7a)

Ric, what beach were you at?

Somewhere in, MD(Zone 7b)

WOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO ROBIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! How cool you are!!!! And the best part?? Your halo remained entirely intact and sparkly the whole time!! =)

Good Heavens Ric!!... so,.... I guess y'alls plans for a little midnight skinny dipping is out the window now, huh? < =P

Its a beautiful morning in Columbia MD!
We are celebrating life with the Ulman Cancer Fund for Young Adults Triathlon.
DS will be running Half which is .9 mi swim then 56 mi bike topped off by 13.1 mi run . We'll be here awhile. There is a lot of energy here today!

Lake is 74 degrees a big improvement over last years weather!

Thumbnail by sallyg

Yellow caps for cancer survivors doing an Olympic length triathlon today!
Awesome!

Thumbnail by sallyg
Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Good morning Sally. It sure is nice out this morning. A lot of fog here. Good luck to your daughter. Sky diving and triathlons - some exceptional women here!!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.