Ipomoea albivenia

Mesilla Park, NM

I've missed several blooms on this one and it is difficult to photograph. It blooms as soon as it starts to get dark, so I was out with a flashlight and DH helping me. This morning it was still open and I think it was open because of the cool weather here today and the clouds above. This has not produced seeds in the last four years, I purchased these years ago. Now this Caudex plant has a ton of buds so I'm hoping ths year will be the year it produces seeds. Originally an African species.

The ones I've seen on the Internet have an all white center. Also called wild cotton. So, I'm wonding if I was sold the wrong seeds or there are two of them.

Thumbnail by Gourd Thumbnail by Gourd Thumbnail by Gourd Thumbnail by Gourd Thumbnail by Gourd
Jacksonville, AR(Zone 7b)

Oh my gosh, that is beautiful A. Seems like the Albivenia pics I remember from a few yrs ago
also had the lovely pink or rose throat. I know you're enjoying those beautiful blooms. A sight
to behold. :-)

Mesilla Park, NM

Thanks, ive got another regular moonvine i,alba with buds, but i wont go out there alone at night, first time i plant these, didnt file or nick them, just emptied two packs into the raised bed and i was happy to see cotyledons the size of silver dollars, now they have started blooming, maybe dh will go with me tomorrow to hold the flash light,,

A, have you checked around 6 pm or so to see if the blooms are open?
You might not have to go out with a flashlight.

Mesilla Park, NM

Looks like there is a bud for tonight. This will be my first time to see a moonflower like this one. Ill go out in the late afternoon to see if its open. Thanks for the tip. Ill post a photo. I hate that I can't use my camera with this iPad. So the photos don't come out good.

A, looking forward to your pic.

Mesilla Park, NM

I saw the long bud yesterday but I was raining and we've ad flash flood warnings, I wasn't Balt to get back there, the clay ground here was flooded here in the back and you sink into the mud, it's like quicksand Ill wait for more next week.

A, wish you could send me a little of that rain. Looking forward to your upcoming blooms.
Its a beauty with the colored throat.
I'm going to dig out my sds, hope I didn't let mine get old.

Mesilla Park, NM

The seeds are really cheap at the dollar store, that's what I planted.. Two packs.. Lol

This is the first rain we get all year, been very dry here. The plants are loving it, but the winds are tearing the flowers ..

A, you're telling me that the $ store carries albivenia sds??

Mesilla Park, NM

No, I thought you meant the moon vines.. Sorry about that.

Thats ok. :-) Yes I've seen the moon vine sds at the $ store. They have all their sds on clearance
now. I picked uo veggie sds for 5 cents a pk last week,

Mesilla Park, NM

The moo vine I got from there as those strange leaves like the meeker I . It is still raining but ill get out there and take a photo of the leaf.

A, don't go out in the rain. You don't have to on my account :-)
Maybe it will stop later and you can get both pics.

Mesilla Park, NM

Darn it , the flower had already fallen off, but here is the leaf, I think the irst leaves are like this then chane to cordate leaves. And all the critters were out enjoying the sun and I imagine were hungry . One hummingbird moth was drying out and as I took a photo of it, two more fluttered on by into the blue dawn flowers.

And some black swallowtail cats, they are cute, cute. They have the cutest faces. Lol

I don't know if you can see the three on this parsley .. My passie fruit is the size of gulf balls and still growing.

Thumbnail by Gourd Thumbnail by Gourd Thumbnail by Gourd Thumbnail by Gourd Thumbnail by Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

I wasn't fast enough to catch the other two hummingbird moths, even the hammers were out.. Do I have enough watering cans.. Lol

A, I didn't realize that the moth you pictured is the hummingbird moth. I've seen those
around here just recently. The swallowtail caterpillars are cute.
Look at your pic # 5 in the 1st set of pics about the 1145 position. The fruit or leaf has a face on it.
Did you notice it?? My gdaughter, 10 yrs old, said thats creepy, lol

This message was edited Sep 13, 2013 4:20 PM

Mesilla Park, NM

Oh , you know what that is, the fritillary cats ate the fuit skin on that one. Yes it looks like a little face..lol. That is the photo where I tried to catch the others two moths .. But they are too fast.

Well we got a kick out of it. :-)

A I've got to walk next door and check out the Maypop fruit next door at my sons.
I know Helena wants sds but I can't remember who all asked for sds if I can gather a few.
Whoever asked me for sds of MAYPOP, please post here.......

Mesilla Park, NM

Me me me, I want seeds for the white and our pile, but really want white,,

But would like both.

Let me know who wants seeds for mine, I've got some for blue Caruela, Tempatation, and I have blue bouquet ( I joint knowvifnthatbis empty fruits yet)

Ill go bag them this week has I noticed the mice have been eating the fruits on Caruela ..

Let me know who wants some of mine and hopefully others have some too..

A,

A I'll mark the white if they are still blooming. I'll check
today so I can tag them. It they have quit blooming, won't be able to tell the lavender from the white.

This message was edited Sep 14, 2013 1:30 PM

They have quit blooming. They seldom bloom here after the 1st of Sept. A No way to
be sure now which sds are which. Wish I had tagged them the day I took this pic.

Thumbnail by patootie Thumbnail by patootie Thumbnail by patootie

A, the very 1st clump that I took pics of in Aug had white blooms, I'm pretty sure,
So I'll mark those for you to try 1st when I gather seeds. Next summer, I'll be sure and tag
some of each.

Mesilla Park, NM

Oh , those fruits look just as big as the ones here. Jackie maybe you need to get a new thread going because I don't think they read my threads and your offer will be overlooked.

I really appreciate that you are marking that white one.. That way I know where to plant it. I will probably start the seeds in cups as soon as you send them so they will go out in spring time. Everyday for months, I move at least 25 fritillary caterpillars from some of the passion vines that I don't want them to eat, to the blue Caruela which I have at least 100 feet of vines. They have almost eaten the whole thing, it's getting to the point where they are eating the fruits too. I just packaged up two fruits to mail out tomorrow. They were nice and ripe. They germinate better when they are not cleaned and dried. So if you can, I'd like for you to send it just the way it is without cleaning it. I have really good luck,with fresh seeds .

I have gotten so many that I purchased where they were so old and dried up that nothing germinates. All the ones I sow from my plants germinate if they are planted the same year. Hopefully the brides don't beat us to the seeds.

A, I;m not sure that 1st clump on the fence is a white but seems like it made white blooms.
Very interesting about needing moist seeds, fruit pulp and all. Pomegranates might be the same,
germinating better with some of the pulp still attached. I';ll send you a whole fruit of
that 1st one and a couple of the other ones that will probably be lavender..
They're still green and hard as a rock, no softening and no turning color yet.
I may have to pick a few days early to keeo the raccoons from getting them all. :-)

Gautier, MS

Beautiful flowers A. and Jackie. I am interested in your seed offer A. and Jackie. I read somewhere where you can soak passi seeds in beer so I tried for the Mollissi???? passi and did germinate but the seedling died in the summer so I gave up. I bought a Lavender Beauty passi a few weeks ago but don't think it will make fruit.

Thumbnail by helenahkh

Helena, I think the Mollisima or whatever it is likes cool temps and might resent your hot temps there. Several of the passi's dis-like hot weather.
Lovely bloom on your vine Helena, Only a few of them make fruit from what I
understand.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.