mellielong's Daily Pictures # 104

Barling, AR(Zone 7b)

A question for you folks that are familiar with black swallowtail caterpillars. Will caterpillars that are developing outdoors in east central Oklahoma during October survive ? I noticed more than 20 black ST cats on parsley at Honor Heights Garden in Muskogee, OK on Oct. 9th. They are left to nature for now .

Thumbnail by C_A_Ivy Thumbnail by C_A_Ivy Thumbnail by C_A_Ivy Thumbnail by C_A_Ivy
Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

I don't see them this late in the season here , they have moved or went south , (you)
I would imagine they don't have them unless there is a good probability they will survive .
That's not an all knowing (is anything ) only observation ..

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

If they pupate before frost they will overwinter and not eclose till spring. I that some may stay suspended in diapause for years!

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Wow, that's a healthy gathering of the BST larvae there, shorthog. I am no expert. But like others I have read about their amazing diapause phenomenon.

Eventhough, a few of us here shared a common zone 7b. I supposed we all have different frost date? I happen to have one that pupated a couple of days ago. I'll keep track of its development and keep everyone posted. If indeed the pupa ecloses before frost. My question then, will it fly further south to overwinter as a butterfly?

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Whiteside County, IL(Zone 5a)

Shorthog, the latest date I have on BSTs making a chrysalis is november 8. Then I just keep them in the garage until spring and then some time in May or so they eclose. I wind up just putting them in a hanging plant so they can eclose whenever without me paying attention.

Barling, AR(Zone 7b)

Thanks everyone. It looks like BSTs are tougher than I thought.

Atlanta, GA(Zone 8a)

Dale/Lepfarmer - really enjoyed the videos on the fb page thanks so much for sharing.

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

Released 6 Monarchs today. Their first flights were up, up, and away strong! Keep your eyes peeled for them.

Amanda, I told them about your 'runway' of milkweed if they need to refuel!

Last three should be ready to go in a couple of days. Via con Dios little ones.

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Thank you so much for letting me share in th excitement! I will leave the lights on in my landing strip. :)

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

Lepfarmer, I am so mesmerized by the nine Monarchs I have sheltered and released I can't imagine how it must be to be amidst some many travelers!

Pics of nine released, 2 males, 7 female all on their way. Last three nectared a lot before taking off, flicking off various other nectar seekers as can be seen in at least one photo. First pic is of Mama Monarch who laid the eggs of her beautiful offspring.

Thumbnail by coleup Thumbnail by coleup Thumbnail by coleup Thumbnail by coleup Thumbnail by coleup
annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

and

Thumbnail by coleup Thumbnail by coleup Thumbnail by coleup Thumbnail by coleup Thumbnail by coleup
Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Glad you have joined the Monarch parade of pics on here Coleup!

@Dale...Did you see mention of the Monarchs roosting at the FW Prairie this last week? They were in a willow tree near one of the dried up depressions. Hope that area will be preserved some how. I have never been out there, but it is near the area where Chisholm Trail Parkway will come through down near Burleson. Here is the facebook site for the prairie.
https://www.facebook.com/savetheprairie?directed_target_id=0

This message was edited Oct 15, 2013 7:56 AM

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

I am getting confused with the two threads going on here. I am going to start a new one soon and make sure it has the old title and a picture so we can track it better.

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Getting back on track with new thread #105
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1337932/

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.