mellielong's Daily Pictures # 104

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Mrs Ed is right, I was thinking they had been shipped to her, but if from her area not a problem.
Juhur...congrats on the RSP, lovely butterflies.

Red Oak, TX

USDA governs the inter-STATE shipment of butterflies. It is illegal to ship butterflies (viewed as plant pest by USDA) across state lines without a permit. Within the same state is no problem. This may seem whimsical and ridiculous to some people since butterflies don't recognize state lines, but it is actually a very good thing to have in place. The popular butterfly releases at weddings, etc. has made it very difficult to accurately monitor certain populations in a scientific manner. Butterflies from Florida don't belong in Washington State. Personally, I wish the whole idea of butterfly releases would disappear.

Dale Clark
Dallas County Lepidopterists' Society
www.dallasbutterflies.com

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

I agree with you Dale. I attended a wedding in New England in October (insert frownie face here) where butterflies were released, and they were not even natives. Not to mention the time of year.

We got a handful of people all in Maryland in case she needs backup. Plus, there are organizations out on the peninsula that monitor the migration so she has them to turn to as well.

Thanks.

A.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Ooh have I got a polydamas here?

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

It looks like a Pipevine ST to me Lily_love, Congrats! If you don't have a host for it yet, get this one. It is a great plant doesn't climb up as much and others, makes a great ground cover at the base of other plants. And it's just plain pretty! http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/63661/

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Sheila, that's one curiously attractive pipevine plant! I must put that on my wish list. Thanks for the I.D. of the butterfly, and intro. of the lovely plant. I'm so glad to learn that it's hardy in my zone.

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

I think I may have some seeds left, are you in the address section? If not send your address by dmail and I will check on the seeds for you.

Whiteside County, IL(Zone 5a)

ZONE ENVY!

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

hahahhaha.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Awww, Sheila thank you so so much for the offer. But, I'm so busy now I can't possibly take on another project. Mrs. Ed. Please move down here, we can really garden longer down South. I appreciate all my friends here on DG.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Woohooo! I have a Monarch chrysalis that's about to eclose any time today! The weather is pretty now, hope the young butterfly will be on its way to its destination soon, and safe. Farewell, safe journey South.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

I just released a Monarch yesterday and have another just about ready. Won't be long and I will be like a mad woman trying to tag those coming through!

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Here's a couple of lousy pic's of a luna Moth Larvae on American Bittersweet Solanum Dulcermera , the real poison !
To the left of the bright spot . oh well try again tomorrow...

Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7
Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

This is a male Sheila. No threat to you. :)

Thumbnail by AmandaEsq
Barling, AR(Zone 7b)

Stopped at the Honor Heights Garden in Muskogee, OK. a couple of days ago. A beautiful garden with lots of flowers and butterflies as well as a butterfly house with Gulf frits, Buckeyes and Mourning Cloaks. In the garden there were lots of and a variety of butterflies but to my surprise several Monarchs were nectaring lantana. They are so beautiful.

Thumbnail by C_A_Ivy Thumbnail by C_A_Ivy Thumbnail by C_A_Ivy Thumbnail by C_A_Ivy Thumbnail by C_A_Ivy
Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Golly, and your pictures are so clear and crisp. Thanks for sharing. I sure do miss my canon camera! But the cell phone camera is doing an adequate job for now.

Are you logging your sightings to the website "Journey North?"

Barling, AR(Zone 7b)

Thanks AmandaEsq for the compliment on my pics. Just got my camera back from an online repair shop. Works like it's new.
I logged in to "Journey North" and I appreciate you noting this site for me.

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Amanda... none are threats to me. I just know this cooler weather will bring in the Monarchs and I need to start tagging. I bought 50 this year, but don't want to start too early. Plus I tag both male and female.
juhur....Hope you can get a clearer shot, nice find.
shorthog....Nice garden, I would stop there too!

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Shorty - hee hee - hope you don't mind my abbreviation. ;)

Mind sharing the website for the online camera repair? We once bought a part for this camera on ebay and then the seller offered to fix the camera for me. I shipped the camera to Maine (!!!) and it came back like yours - good as new.

Atlanta, GA(Zone 8a)

This one's for Amanda! Hubby got a great pic of a Monarch this week -

I've been seeing fleeting flashes of orange all weekend but not close enough to tell if they are Gulf frits or Monarchs going through.

Thumbnail by memays
Atlanta, GA(Zone 8a)

Also, this may be fun for all:

http://blog.nwf.org/2013/10/wildlife-battle-team-butterfly-vs-team-hummingbird/

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Awwww, gee thanks! :)

he's very handsome. I am not thru hoping they will come and i will have cats to raise. This stormy weather is not very helpful to migratory bugs tho'. I hope everybody has found a big leaf to hide under.

Barling, AR(Zone 7b)

AmandaEsq I used UnitedCamera http://www.unitedcamera.com/ at Bensenville, IL. for repair of my Kodak Z990 Great results. Like new.

Success, two Monarchs eclosed yesterday in the aquarium pillar house. After stretching and flapping wings, one soared away and the other flew to a nearby peach tree for more wing exercise.

Thumbnail by C_A_Ivy Thumbnail by C_A_Ivy Thumbnail by C_A_Ivy
Red Oak, TX

A beautiful female Large Orange Sulphur (Phoebis agarithe) in my yard this morning among the hordes of monarchs. Counted over 125 a couple of hours ago. Sheila, I hope you're out there netting and tagging.

Dale Clark

Thumbnail by lepfarmer
Pueblo, CO(Zone 5b)

Dainty Sulphur - This is a tiny butterfly. Unlike other Sulphurs, the host is Tagetes/Marigolds not Legumes. We have a wild Marigold here that they like. It is on a Cosmos in the photo.

Thumbnail by pollengarden
Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Dale - that number is encouraging. What is that like compared to other seasons at this time in your experience?

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Getting a start on it today, thanks for the reminder!

Red Oak, TX

Over 475 monarchs in the yard yesterday! In the ten years I've been at this location, this comes very close to equaling the best, which was slightly over 500. I posted a couple of short videos on the Dallas County Lepidopterists' Society Facebook page for those of you that "do" Facebook.

Dale Clark

Thumbnail by lepfarmer

Good grief Dale! That's a lot of Monarchs. I had ONE yesterday. ha.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

I 'm really delighted with the good news that the Monarch Migration has a beginning that seems real well there.
Thank Dale , and those with you ,
I had only seen 9 all year here ,

Red Oak, TX

I know there are a few of you in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area, so I'm going to invite any and all to my butterfly farm this coming Saturday from 10:00 a.m. to 12 Noon. I do an "open house" here at my butterfly farm every year in conjunction with the Dallas County Lepidopterists' Society meeting. If you're in the area and want to stop by, walk the gardens (the hundreds of monarchs should still be here), walk through the flight cage and see some unusual butterflies from other parts of Texas, see lots of caterpillars in the "caterpillar greenhouse", and look through my butterfly and moth collection with specimens from around the world. I'll be posting directions on the DCLS website (see below). Come on down!

Dale Clark

boy, if I was rich and retired, I'd fly down for that!!

had TWO monarchs by the end of the day!

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Well I am sad that I won't get to visit again this year. The FW Botanic Garden Sale is that day, and the Native Plant Society has a booth which means I volunteered to work. Hope you have a great group Dale!
Off to FB to see the video!

One of the two monarchs I wound up having yesterday. Saw one today too. And a Clouded/Orange Sulphur. So glad to have the asters this time of the year as my tithonia torch did not grow this year.

Thumbnail by Mrs_Ed Thumbnail by Mrs_Ed
Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Love the awesome video Dale!

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

Any of you Monarch cat raisers, what do you do when bad weather (heavy rain, wind and temps in 50 s coincide with release time?

That's my situation now: 3 eclosed and 3 on the way today or tomorrow. Weather won't change til sometime tomorrow. Help!

Red Oak, TX

Monarch numbers just continue to increase. Counted 850+ a few minutes ago. Many are hanging out in the shade of trees to get out of the strong southerly winds. If I walked the treeline of the adjacent property I'm sure I'd hit over 1,000.

Dale Clark

Thumbnail by lepfarmer
Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

I would think unless their in the greenhouse you have to release them , weather nay or yay .

Well maybe they are looking for a new place to winter ,, could happen , not likely so soon , only could ,, Most insects are adapting critters . good thing to hope for the Monarchs

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

For here , only Cabbage White , pic's a little fuzzy

Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7
Barling, AR(Zone 7b)

Dale, thanks for the Monarch update. I noticed lots of them this week flying south from between central OK and west central Arkansas.. There biggest obstacle appeared to be interstate traffic. They should be at your place by now or arriving soon.
There is hope for the Monarch.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.