No, but I will probably some day get around to it
(29 votes, 34%)
Red dot

No, I will probably never pursue a MG certificate
(40 votes, 48%)
Red dot

Previous Polls

Allen Park, MI(Zone 6a)

I am on my second term sitting on the board of directors for our counties MG Association. Its a great group... we provide schlorships for students pursing careers in Horticulture.

We have a great reference library for our members to use.

We have our own greenhouse and hold a plant sale each spring. We start all of our plants from seeds and or cuttings.

We hold a annual educatioanl event each year; this year we sold out with over 350 participants.

We provided over 5000 voulenteer hours last year for senior citizen groups, Junior Master Gardeners and groups such as these.

We had 250 new students go through the MG program in 2001.

Its a great group of very giving people.

Paul

This message was edited Tuesday, Nov 6th 9:37 AM

Valley Village, CA

Sounds wonderful,our program is here in Los Angeles, no such thing offered. I already volunteer 24 hrs weekly.
Point of Informatin: Scolarships are being offered by the State Nurseryman's Association. They have monies for scholarships but not enough applicants. Perhaps this will be of help to some for your students. Norma

Panama, NY(Zone 5a)

Our county doesn't have a program, but I probably would never be involved anyway. I'd have to leave home to do it!

I'd love to be involved but there is no such group in the UK.

dobie, ON(Zone 3a)

Thats okay Baa, as far as I know there is none here in Canada either.

Westbrook, ME(Zone 5a)

I applied one year to take the MG program. I didn't get excepted - they only take so many per class. I haven't had much interest in trying again.

(Zone 6a)

too old to start that:)

I am leaving my rooftop garden in downtown Chicago for Oshkosh, WI where I plan to enroll in the MG program through the ext. office as soon as we arrive next month.
The opportunity here in the city had always conflicted with my schedule, not to mention just the hassle of leaving the city(traffic) to get to the program itself, although it is only 20 miles from the Loop that translates to a 90 minute drive. Wisconsin here I come!

North Vancouver, BC(Zone 8a)

I worked in the Nursery trade for many years and the thought never crossed my mind..I learned hands on, by reading everything I could and can find out there! Rosarian, by necessity and passionate gardener of Old Garden Roses! Use organic growing methods, and try to stick to green manures and feed...Have taught and still do on the reasons for growing roses and their companion plantings..by the way, trailingon, there is a huge contingent of Master Gardeners out here on the West Coast..most of them having trained thru Van Dusen Gardens' courses! Elaine

Huntington Beach, CA(Zone 10a)

Nope, I don't need to have a degree to have fun in my little garden. Not that I don't think it would be very enjoyable or helpful, just don't have the time and energy right now in my simple life.

Donna

Fayette, MO(Zone 6a)

I know I would learn lots and meet lots of new gardening friends, but I just don't have the time.

Iola, WI

Welcome to Wisconsin hubris! Glad you could find what you needed here. Careful, some never leave!

I don't have a degree and have no real use for it. I'm only pursuing some greenery for my home right now.

Longview, TX

I love being a MG. The rewards are worth the time involved. Helping others who come to learn to love your hobby is so cool. Then you have more people to trade with too!! I especially like the idea of getting young people involved. This hobby can keep them busy, and doing something constructive instead of destructive. Kids need an outlet. We all do. Ive never regretted getting the extra training.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.