I use discarded panty hose to hold soil in, in the water.

suburban K.C., MO(Zone 6a)

I wouldn't recommend getting them until after they've been used and discarded! The panty hose and safety clips is what I use. I don't think your supposed to have metal and/or rust in a pond with fish but you get the idea to fasten the hose together if you want. I don't have fish myself so it's not a problem for me, I just have a big fountain.
And the legs portion of the hose is no problem because you just tie them together then cut off the excess.
The idea might not be new even on this but thought I'd share anyway. I hosed up 3 plants today, a Creeping Jenny and 2 Arrowhead plants then they went back in the water..lol I upload a few pics. - This is one of the Arrowhead Plants.
Will

Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf

This is the Creeping Jenny, it will be featuring black hose. -
Will

Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf
Athens, PA

I know that SongsofJoy used to use pantyhose (at least I think she did) to plant hostas in her pond. I haven't heard from her in quite some time - I don't know if she is still on DG.

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

Will
Are you using fabric water pots inside of the pantyhose and if so doesn't the soil leach out into the water. If no leaching I could really use the hose in my pond as I have a very difficult time keeping plants upright in my pond. Either they get too tall and topple over or the fish eat on them if they can reach them. Makes them look ragged and I have to take them out and put in dirt and start them all over again.
I'm guessing you are setting them in just a few inches of water in your fountain base.
If the hose keeps the dirt in I could sure use them along the edges and tie them to the rocks.
Thanks for sharing the info.
Bonnie

Fabric pots? No, just regular black plastic nursery pots usually, I cut them down to about half the height, which looks best in my fountain. I'm not familiar with a fabric pot.
Yeah, in the fountain, most of the tops of pots are out of the water. Keeping the soil from coming out of the top would be the problem from totally submerging a pot. The only way that I can see to keep that down, (which would probably affect new shoots or sprouts from growing) is to intricately work the panty hose in a sort of painstaking way around all the stems of the existing plants in the pot, and securing it along the way with safety clips or something. Doing that weaving wouldn't be real terrible because the "legs" of the hose can be used in that manner too and that'd be fairly easy, when your done just tie them together and cut off the excess.

I recently looked at the Japanese Water Iris that I did with this panty hose, last year, and the smallest roots are growing thru the hose, so it's apparently not restricting all the roots.
The water I've noticed has staying surprisingly clear with the Iris, I think alot of the surface of the pot is not soil but part of the plant, which wouldn't dirty up the water anyway, (depending on size and type of plant there I suppose).
Along the edges like that would probably be worth it, this project is surprisingly easy to do.
One may have to thread fishing line or something thru the hose and fixed to the land to keep a pot from falling over.
SongsofJoy had a good idea! The hose must be durable, I haven't seen any sign of it coming apart or decomposing or anything with the Iris that I did last year. Here is pics of a few of them 2 days ago. -
That would be so neat if it helps at least one person!
Will

Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf
Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

Hi Will,
I have been using panty hose for years for tieing plants to stakes cause they stretch so they don't impede plants growth. I think your idea is a good one. My fabric pots for water are not sturdy enough but I have tons of nursery pots in every size. I think I will cut some holes around the tops and weave the hose thru them and tie them to sides of pond so they can just dangle into the water. Thanks so much for the suggestion. When I get some done I will post pics here.
Bonnie

Hi Bonnie, I hope it works for you! I can't wait to see how yours turn out!
I noticed the base of my fountain has a small fracture that leaks water so not entirely sure how water or much water is going to work in it. Water in it with the freezing I suppose could make it worse.
Up there, the 2nd post with the fountain, (last pic), is that Japanese Water Iris that I speak of, it's in that brown pot and it's mostly full of water and the Iris has been in panty hose since last year. It bloomed yellow good earlier this year.
Your welcome Bonnie, I hope it works for you.
Will

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

Going every day for eecp treatments with hub. and its 3 hrs. between travel and treatment so I know I won't get it done right away but when I have time will do it.
All info. thats shared is a blessing.
Thank you, Bonnie

Eecp, I don't know what that is, hope it's not serious and the treatment is working, Bonnie. Oh, no hurry on doing anything like we talked about, I'm sure you know health and well-being is first and more important. : )

I mis-spoke on something, the date when I put the Japanese Water Iris in panty hose. I did that in May of this year, not last year like I said up there, oops..lol! It's doing real well, I took a photo yesterday of the little roots coming thru the hose. - pic #1 Hehe.. I intentionally didn't show my fingernails there because they were getting hideously long then, I can't find my clippers but I have bought some since then..lol

It got plenty hot here today! Here is a pic of the thermometer on the deck, (it was actually 100°, it warms up a little more on the deck). - pic #2

Thanks, I am glad to share anything I know, even if it's already out there. For ex., did you know Soft Scrub and a cordless drill with a circular pad for a drill bit, (foam-like pad) on a yellowed headlight lens can clear it up?! I figure if at least one person thinks I'm a know-it-all I've done my job! lol I'm just being nutty, have a nice weekend, Bonnie!
Will

Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf
Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

EECP is being done on my husb. but I go with him so it shoots 1/2 of every day but thats ok. The ponds and garden aren[t going anywhere.

This afternoon while looking for something in my little garden set of shelves found a whole bag of panty hose. Woohoo so tomorrow after church I'll see what I can do with them if I get the chance.
A pro told me to use soft scrub on my old van as it was parked under an oak tree and got that tea stain all over it. To my surprise it worked. My new vehicle has a totally different type of paint so doubt I would try that on it. I have used it with a drill with pad on my bathtub as I have an old tub and very hard to clean. Did a pretty decent job.

Sat out this afternoon at my grandsons football games and thought I would melt. Good thing I had a large umbrella with me. Their dad didn't put up their bleecher tent and it was awful. Next time I'll make sure they have it with them. It wan't 100 but it sure felt like it.
Good weekend to you also.
Bonnie

I agree, how nice it would be to have such a wonderful spouse to go along when the other half isn't feeling well.

Oh, no drill on the paintjob, just the lens cover. In fact you tape around the lens with painters tape to keep off the paint just in case it might scratch. But yeah, what a sticky mess that musta been under the Oak tree.

I start a new temp job tomorrow, so I can't go to church.

Here's the photos from earlier this year, (May), when I hosed up the Japanese Water Iris. -
I forgot it was in bloom then. But, it hasn't missed a beat in over 3 months.
Will

Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf
Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

Iris is doing wonderful. Looks great!

Cocoa Beach, FL(Zone 10a)

I came home from the Plant Swap with a Pussy Willow tree seedling and a clump of Dark Purple open pollinated seeds and seedlings of Siberian iris. Going to get them planted today.

Thanks Bonnie, the Iris is a neat plant. You may know the lady that I got the Iris from she ponds also, her name is happgarden, she is from Kansas City too. I got it from her over 2 years ago.

Sounds like some good choices, mittsy. I'm not too familiar with them myself.

Here are those hosed waterplants today, 2 Arrowhead plants and the Creeping Jenny seem to be liking the water quite a lot. - The lightest colored one 'Butterfly' appears to be getting even lighter, it seems to almost be taking on a cream or ivory appearance, maybe it's just me, but it sure looks lighter. -
In that last pic in that square pot with the English Ivy is a little cutting that I just pulled off a friends planter on the front porch of her work-place. Anyway, I have no idea what it is but it seems to be liking it's new home, (it's the little light green succulent-looking plant in the front of it), it's been nearly a week since I put it in there with my finger. Does anybody recognize it? I can get a bigger photo of the pot if it helps.
Will

Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.