Happy birthday Jules

Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

I'm back, 'cause I downloaded photos.
Here is the photo collage for the Historical Society.
WIB~
SW

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
(Pegi) Norwalk, CA(Zone 10b)

How wonderful that you could get such a great collage together. It is great! Great place to live too.

Bought Carnation Instant Breakfast so DH will start on that in the morning. Also picked up some puddings, which I know he likes. Bought a few Hungry Man dinners to help tempt him. They are pretty good too. He always drank a lot of water so at times like this I do worry about dehydration. Wish I could get him to drink green tea. I buy it by the case at Costco, and it is perfect thrist quencher. Kirkland brand is OK, but Lipton tastes so much better. Didn't see the Jama juice at the store nor Aloe drink. At least DH is up watching a little TV in the living room. One of his main problems is constipation caused by pain pills and that alone can make you miserable.

No Central, AZ(Zone 7b)

Jamba Juice is a store, likely at the mall or a strip mall where they make the juice for you right there. Aloe drink may be at the health store or someplace like Whole Foods, Sprouts or such. Gave Tony his first 'shake' (cuz he does not like smoothies) using one packet chocolate instant breakfast, 1/2 tall glass of choc milk and 2 mounded spoons of chocolate milk shake mix. That I bought in a big canister at Sam's Club quite some time back. He loved it. Today at doctor they recommended one Boost or Ensure a day, but she was OK with my milkshake idea as he would get the calories, protein and vitamins. Tony associates Ensure with his mother drinking it before she died.

PRUNES/prune juice, stool softener (if they even knew we had this discussion).

The dr office also gave him packets of a mouthwash to put into water 4 times a day to help the flora in his mouth. Not an option. Also recommended Biotene mouthwash for dry mouth. Works, I have used it. They gave him some lotion to use and for down the road "hurricane" gel which is an analgesic.

The only thing they could not do is give him his first radiation treatment. Tony was quite adamant to the four of us (Dr, Radiologist, tech and me) he COULD NOT lie on that table for even 10 minutes due to his shoulder pain level. I will be doing a different daily pain pill combo that will helpfully work tomorrow at noon. He has his port surgically installed tomorrow afternoon for delivery of the chemo starting next week.

I am being overwhelmed. Not this much to do when he had Chemo and Radiation in 1993. He also drove then, and was overall healthier. I was pregnant then and just wanted to sleep, lol.

Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Hi girls,
Thanks for keeping me posted. I'm glad you were able to try a couple of my suggestions. I didn't know that Jamba Juice was a store. Tells you how often I get out these days. Thank God, my outings aren't to the Dr.s these days. Whew!
Thanks for the comment on the collage, Sami. I sorted through a whole bunch of photos, then I made DH pick the ones to go on the board. I arranged and did the captions. We bought stick on letters for the header. I was so blamed tired when it came to sticking them on, that I just didn't care if they were straight. :-) Several people told me that it brought back fond memories of the times they spent here. It is a great place to live.
I got my Aloe Juice from my chiropractor, it really satisfies when you are low on electrolytes and other good stuff. I found a place online that sells it, and it's not that expensive. Like 20 bucks.
Here is the link, http://www.swansonvitamins.com/swanson-organic-organic-freeze-dried-aloe-vera-powder-50-grams-1-76-oz-pwdr
The site has a pretty good review, so please check it out.
Lynda, I'm really sorry to hear that Tony had such a hard time today. Not his usual jovial self. Please give him my love. Hopefully, tomorrow will be a better day.
Happy to hear you are getting creative and Tony is eating.
Same for you Pegi. Darwin is scaring me with how much weight he has lost. I know it can be really hard for, but do try to tempt him to eat. I really don't care what, but if you can get him to eat the prunes or any kind of raw fruit, that would be so beneficial. You can buy pills, that will soften the stool, but talk to your pharmacist if you haven't already. BTW, I preferred raw apples and adore asian pears.
I was so desperate for different tastes, I took to putting flavoring in the vanilla pudding. My favorite was cherry flavoring in the vanilla pudding. Yum Yum. Yup, pudding and creamy tomato soup. Funny how the soup still makes me salivate. I was so hungry!
Lynda, try using a humidifier if you have one. We live in such a dry climate anyway, and the moisture helps with dry mouth. I have the same problem, and have found myself getting a sore throat from the dry air. Biotene is a good product if he will use it.
I'm sure both my girls are tired and feeling overwhelmed at times. I wish I could do more to help. So here is my advice to you two, go someplace you feel comfortable. Sit down and breathe deep. That's right, just sit down, close your eyes and breathe deep. Think of something pleasant. Doesn't matter what, as long as you aren't dwelling on your worries or the chores that still need a doing. Try doing this a couple of times a day. If it works right, you'll be able to recharge those batteries, and keep on going.
Sometimes, when times are tough, it helps to know that people care about you. So for what it's worth, I care very much about the both of you. I'd give you a big warm hug if I could. I have to tell you again, how proud of you, I am, for taking care of your guys. I know it is frustrating, and tiring, and sometimes scarey and confusing. But hang in there, because better times are coming.
Sending lots of Hugs today.
WIB~
SW

Thumbnail by SingingWolf Thumbnail by SingingWolf Thumbnail by SingingWolf Thumbnail by SingingWolf Thumbnail by SingingWolf

Jules, you have some beautiful flowers and you take really great pictures. Going to ask Darwin about the AWE channel, we only get the smallest package from Dish, and price of that keeps going up. He watches more TV than I do and after all this time I'm finally figuring out how to get the Dish channels. Tells you how interested I am in that! The computer interests me a lot more. LOL Darwin has now informed me that he is tired of sweet things to eat, interested in juices like he sees on TV. Sorry, not going to buy that "extra special blender" that they advertise. Only reason he ate veggies is because I would put them on his plate. He doesn't care for fruit either, how to turn him into a healthy man is a big problem. He wants to sleep all the time too. Did I tell you they have discovered he has Afib now too? His heart and pulse was racing so fast doctor put him in the hospital. He is doing fine now, except he just added more medication to take. This getting old isn't very much fun!!!

Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Pegi,
Sometimes I think that getting old is the hardest thing to do. It takes real grit to deal with your body betraying you. You are doing the best you can with Darwin, Pegi. If he isn't tempted by sweets, how does he feel about salty or savory foods? Have you tried chicken or beef broth? Just hang in there sweetie. Sending you hugs.
I'm really sorry to hear about the afib. One more thing to deal with.
Still keeping you in my prayers.
Try googling "Wired on Weed". I think there were a couple of listings for it. I know one was for the next air date of the documentary, and I am pretty sure I saw something on YouTube. You may be able to find a link that allows you to watch it online. LMK how it goes.
The photos were kind of fun.
1. Coral vine with visiting Giant Swallowtail.
2. Starfish.
3. I'm not sure what the succulent is but the flower reminds me of a starfish. : - )
4. Passionflower.
5. Spiderplant flower spike with blossom.
I thought I posted a different photo on that last one. Let me try again.
This is the photo I thought I posted.
Remember I was telling you about hanging my bags of strawberries, last year? Well I still working on it, but it's getting there. I've a bit of tweaking to do to it still. : - )
The next one is of my passion fruit. I don't know how many I have so far. But I could count 4 in plain sight and I'm sure there are a lot more. I met a lady who runs a restaurant who is interested in buying my excess fresh fruit and veggies.
The blue berries are starting to get ripe, and as soon as I get them moved into the sun, I bet they'll just keep getting happier. This variety blooms several times a year, so I'm pretty happy to see so many blossoms and fruit. I'll have to take some photos.
I know that you are just container gardening right now, and I wish I could grow something special for you. LMK if there is something you like that you don't have. You know I'll share with you. I was hoping that those balloon flowers we talked you into last year at the RU would be flowering by now. Such a pretty blue.
Anyway, I got some new seed in and I should get them planted.
Hugs sweetie.
WIB~
SW

Thumbnail by SingingWolf Thumbnail by SingingWolf

My son wants to plant strawberries, I've never tried them. Had passion vine years ago, but don't remember getting any fruit. Oh well, lots of things I don't remember. LOL Darwin only got out of bed once yesterday and nothing so far today. He turns on the TV once in a while, but usually just for the news. Chicken broth he has tried many times, but now he isn't interested. He will drink Gatorade, but only a little at a time. Funny how he remembers to take his meds. for the Afib at the appointed time. Depression isn't a good thing to go in to, but I think that is where he is headed. He remembers to use his CPAP mask at night too, hope that is a good sign. At one time when mom was in a bad way after surgery (age 97) they had asked in the nursing home about being forced fed and we all agreed NO on that. My doctor said that is taking away the last of their dignity. He has told doctors no being put on life support which I agree. I hate even thinking about things like that, not strong enough to handle things like that. Well, better go to positive thinking and try and get some much needed cleaning done around here. Believe me I hate cleaning house with a passion, would rather be outside playing in the dirt.

Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Well you aren't alone in that, Sami. I'd rather be out playing in the dirt too. However, the dirt/dust/dog hair is getting thick enough to plant in, so I'd better clean today. The only problem is that since DH brought in that big load of bees, it's almost impossible to do some of the work I need to do during the day due to the bees. Mostly they are after water, but still!
Because it is so much cooler today and cloudy, the bees aren't as active, it's a good day to be in the garden. :-)
Darwin is going through a lot of bad stuff. If he is aware enough to take his meds, he still has enough acuity to know that he needs to eat.
I suspect, Sami, that he is having many of the same problems that I did with the side effects of the medication that he is currently taking. You will get constipated. No matter how bad you feel, you have to drink lots of fluids and get some roughage in your diet. Salads are great too.
When I was still in High School one of my teachers told us that they is nothing more satisfying than a good Bowel Movement. She was right. If you aren't having at least one BM a day, you are going to have problems. My Health Science teacher in College said that normal healthy people have 2 BM's a day. I do understand the predicament that Darwin faces. What goes in must come out. I didn't want to eat much because it was so painful when it came out. Diet really does help.
Sami, I harvest some berries every day. It's so much easier when they are in the bags and not on the ground.
I had to cut down the bananas that were growing when their stalk fell down yesterday.
You may have had a different variety of passiflora, that didn't fruit. My vines are getting out of control and I really need to move them out of the way.
Best get to it.
WIB~
SW

Going to be a nice day and having a hard time getting motivated. Darwin does takes his meds, but I did get a little miffed at him when I asked if he was taking his stool softeners and he said no. I know that having a good BM really makes you feel better. He doesn't say a thing until several days have passed and he is starting to feel bad. Just wish he didn't have to take pain killers. The bad part of trying to get him to eat anything is that the chemo has done a number on his taste buds. He will eat eggs once in a while, but mainly he wants only soup. I think I am gaining the weight he is losing. He likes kidney beans and wants me to put some in his tomato soup. Sounds like an odd combination but if he will eat it that's good. I just picked up some vanilla instant breakfast so now have 2 flavors for him to drink. I wanted to put some ice cream in a chocolate drink but he didn't want any of that either. Hard to come up with something he will eat and is good for him.

Have a lot of weed pulling to do out in front, hope to get it done today, or at least some of it. I guess I did have a different king of passiflora, haven't tried planting any here. We lived in Long Beach for years and I could grow just about anything, but had to fight the gophers all the time. Well, I like it better in Norwalk, but hard to work in the clay soil. Can't have the best of both worlds, as they say.

Hugs, Pegi

Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Pegi,
Good to hear from you this morning. :-)
How does Darwin feel about cottage cheese and yogurt? See if you can get him to eat that.
How about some chicken liver? It'll help build up his blood, and it's so soft, you hardly have to chew it?
Those painkillers will bind you up something fierce. Have you tried finding that documentary I told you about? I am thinking it's a better option.
I have been pulling weeds all week and have a bunch more still to go. I guess I'd best get to it.
WIB~
SW

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.