Happy birthday Jules

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9b)

Happy belated birthday my sweet friend. Hope it was a wonderful one.

Rodica

Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Thanks Rodi,
I had a nice day, with more to come. : - )
Even better my kids got my 'puter working again for me, yesterday!
I've really missed DG!
WIB~
SW

No Central, AZ(Zone 7b)

Happy belated from me too!

Making it through this AZ weather change and FINALLY getting some much needed work done on this foreclosure house. To celebrate your birthday, lol, I went back on to oxygen (remember my dragging my tank around at the Round Up?) due to another Chronic Bronchitis attack. This higher elevation does not benefit my breathing.....

Miss all you CA members!

Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

I miss you too, Linda. I'm still watering your Lantana too! When you get out this way, call or come by, okay.
Start feeling better okay? Bronchitis is no fun. I'm hoping that everything will be easier for you now that you are getting that work done on the house. Haul the tank around, breathe deep and keep your torso warm.
Keep in touch, gf!
WIB~
SW

(Pegi) Norwalk, CA(Zone 10b)

Oh my, I missed this thread some where along the way. Belated birthday greetings Jules. DH went for a breathing test today so waiting to hear from doctor. He is going to get oxygen and hope it helps. His oxygen level is fine when sitting, but not when moving around. He is going from one chronic disease to another. I've missed hearing from all of you.

Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

So Sorry to have been off line Peggy. I missed you too! We need to exchange phone #'s in case this happens again. Then I can call you. I think about you every time I see those Plummies. They have leaves now. : - ) My original plummie is blooming right now, and some mornings when I go out to open the green house I close my eyes and feel as if I have been transported to Hawaii. All that is missing is the scent of sun tan lotion. : - )
I'm really sorry to hear that your DH is still having breathing problems, but going on O2 should really help him. Hope you get good news today!
Keep us posted Sweetie!
Hugs~
WIB~
SW

Oxygen arrived yesterday and already DH is feeling better. A lot to learn about all this equipment, must use my already weak brain cells. LOL

None of my plummies are blooming and I'm dissapointed. They all have leaves and look pretty healthy, but I need some flowers. Maybe later on I may see a few. Bought a mini plumeria that was on sale for half price. Good thing I had taken my plastic in for recycling as part of it went toward my plant. Very pretty white flowers with pink on the edges. Tag calls it "Divine" and it really is. We are finally getting tomatoes, but beef steak aren't very big. We have enjoyed some BLT's already.

Hugs, Pegi

Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

I'm really glad that your DH has his O2, and is breathing easier.
The only one of my plumies that is blooming is the big one, I've had for several years. The rest are still putting on leaves, and hopefully getting ready to bloom. I think it may take them awhile. I was hoping that the pink plumie I got in HI will bloom for me, but the year isn't over yet.
I've already harvested some potatos from my garden, I've also got to take care of some late planted radishes and carrots. Nothing else is ready for harvest yet.
Right now my garden project is lifting the Iris's and transplanting them to a new spot in my yard.
I'd best get to it before it gets too hot.
WIB~
SW

No Central, AZ(Zone 7b)

Regards to DH, Pegi. Yes sitting is easier to have an acceptable O2 level for me too. I have my own oximeter now so I can measure it if I go in the garden or to laundry room. I have found when the air is cool and clean breathing is also easier without O2. We have a cat one foot (maybe 3) on death's door and he has given up the litter box and uses the floor in a couple places. We still have OSB subflooring. That brings the noxious gas level up, I do believe. Hate to see him suffer but Tony says he still has life in him and can't see to put him down.

Already lost 2 critters since coming here. Ariana's cat, Raz, discovered the new doggie door and after climbing the fence out of the dog yard a couple times she must have fallen prey to something. One of our goats, Muffin, got an infection and when I was going down to give her her last shot, saw she had passed in the night. Had to have a backhoe come in to dig burial site and had him do another, alongside, for MoMo kitty too. We have 2 dogs 12 and 13 that are showing their wear too and our first goat, Chewey, is at the short end of their natural lifespan too.

I do go on, sorry. Cooler day today with rain forecast through Thurs and flash flood warnings for Sun/Mon. Yahoo! Less rain in this year's "monsoon" season for us. So much less I could have driven that Prius we had when we came from CA on these dirt roads. Not like last year when we were 'benched' at our house for 2 out of the first 4 weeks not being able to get out. That is when we traded that brand new car for an SUV. Nice little car, but not for here and it WAS NOT MY IDEA to buy it, lol.

Small harvest in the veggie garden, unless you consider the cuzillion squash bugs I seem to have raised!!! Anyone know what I need to do to 'cleanse' the soil before next year?

Quiltygirl you are having lots of sad days losing so many animals, so sorry. I sure could use some rain here. Definitely am going to save rain water this year as my water bill keeps rising. I did get nice tomatoes this year, they don't seem to be ripening very fast though. Almost time for some more BLT;s. DH is looking forward to fried green tomatoes too. He told me he doesn't feel like running around the neighborhood with oxygen tubes in his nose, but then I reminded him that he doesn't go around the neighborhood and definitely doesn't run. He had to agree with me. LOL

Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Hi Linda and Samigal~
Been working hard it sounds like. I've got some pumpkins growing in my kitchen garden, and some squash too, although it's kind of hard to find them what with the way the weeds are growing. Sigh. It's just been too hot for me to get in there and weed, like I'd like to. I'm still trying to get my Iris's moved to their new location.
Say Sami, was it you who wanted a Lilac bush? I think I can dig up one for you if it was you.
Let me know, okay.
Lynda, I've still got Lantana for you, are you going to be coming out this way again, soon?
No excitement this past week, just lots of heat, and too many chores. Sigh.
I keep hoping for a summer shower here, but nothing so far. I guess that's good because of the dangers of flash flooding, but still it is so dry here.
I'm looking forward to the fall.
Butterflys are being busy doing what they do, and some of the caterpillars are getting huge.
Got to go for now.
My Best to both Darwin and Tony.
WIB~
SW

I'm getting behind in most of my threads. Yes, Jules I wanted a lilac bush, but don't know what will be happening here so leave the lovely in the ground. DH is coming to the end of chemo treatments and the PSA is starting to climb again. When doctor said there wasn't any more choices I almost came unglued, but can't give up yet. It seems our longest travels now are to doctor appontments. He is always talking about going fishing again. I think he forgets about other problems when he has his fishing rod in the water.

I'm looking forward to the fall too, just couldn't get out in that heat to do anything and the weeds are growing in leaps and bounds. I have some volunteer morning glories that came up and has tangled itself around a rose bush. Makes for a different sight. Have to remember to go out in the AM to take a picture, was too late yesterday and the blooms had curled up for the night. My son had planted a couple tomato plants behind the garage so I couldn't get out there to pull the baby plants coming up, thus a differant arrangement this season.

No Central, AZ(Zone 7b)

Pegi - my prayers are for you guys. Having been through the cancer - and so many other - wars in 2 states now, I sympathize in your doctor travels and more especially in the mental stress. Is there some way for Darwin to be able to go fishing somewhere? That may do him well physically too, getting his mind off physical travails.

Tony has had several months of fatigue that settles in like a yoke on him, sometimes as early as mid morning. Lab tests, etc do not reveal any causes.

I am putting a prayer request for a young cousin's 13 mos old with brain cancer that has been sent home with Hospice care last weekend

Darwin seems to be doing a little better. There is a park not too far from us that has fishing, but think he is waiting to go out to Hemet to go with his friend. Went to eye doctor today, inflammation is back in his right eye, but not bad, hope the new drops will heal it up completely. Tomorrow he sees the oncologist, and I think next Tuesday is last chemo treatment. He doesn't seem as fatigued as usual, got stronger pain pill and it seems to be working, also one for nausea. At least he didn't use the wheel chair today, just cane going into doctor's office. Takes a lot of stress off me too. Just wouldlike some energy so I can get some of my work done.

Saying prayers for 13 month old, oh so young to be going through this. Prayers for parents also, I know how hard it is on them.

Jules, my mini plumeria is still blooming. It is called "Divine" and the blooms do smell divine too. None of my other plummies bloomed.

Thumbnail by Samigal
No Central, AZ(Zone 7b)

Pegi - with our age difference, Tony and I, I figure if I get to his stage of health I will be SOL for anyone to take care of me or drive me anywhere, LOL.

Darwin and I are the same age, just from May to Dec. and I really want to put a hold on my health as it stands now. I know what you mean about being SOL, I'm in the same position. I thought he was having last chemo, but turns out the doctor hadn't put the next one in the computer yet. Going to try another form of chemo if PSA keeps going up. He said a new type of drug was just approved so maybe that will be the ONE. He hasn't lost any hair, not that much to lose any way, and now has stronger pain meds that are working. Now to get him well enough to finish up a couple projects he has going in the house. I'm still putting off painting my kitchen, I procrastinate sooooooo much.

Jules, I finally have a plumeria blooming, can you imagine in November! It is a cutting I got from a gal and she called it candy stripe. So pretty.

My drawf plumeria "Divine" is still blooming too and it has the most wonderful smell.

Thumbnail by Samigal
Prescott, AZ(Zone 7b)

Hey there,
Hope all is going well with you Jules. I have been cleaning up my garden and starting some winter sowing indoors. So glad to see some cooler weather and a chance of rain this week. I don't even remember the last time water fell from the sky.

Hi Dee, I can''t remember last time water fell from the sky either. Oh, a few drops fell a few months ago but not enough to help my plants.

Hope all is well with everyone. Before we know it Christmas holidays will be here, of course I'm never ready for that.

Dropping in to wish all my fellow gardeners a very Merry Christmas, and a very Blessed and healthy new year. DH may not be getting stronger, but is hanging in there. Took the month of Dec. off of chemo so he could enjoy the gathering of family on Christmas Eve without feeling sick. Being with family on Christmas Eve and friends on Christmas Day makes a happy time.

Prescott, AZ(Zone 7b)

Merry Christmas! I just had a fantastic party with friends and family. I always complain, a lot, about Christmas. I lost many of family members at the holidays. But you know spending time with family and friends both old and new, is renewing. I feel so much better now, knowing there are such fine people out there to share life with.

Dropping in to wish all of you a very happy new year. May you all be blessed with health and happiness. Did I hear someone say spring is just around the corner????

Stopping in to say hi to everyone. I left a short note on the other Ca. gardening thread. Everyone waiting for spring, how are we going to garden with water rationing?

Prescott, AZ(Zone 7b)

Hey there! I'm not waiting I have already starting seeding outside. For some reason I don't think we're going to get any more really cold weather. It's certainly hot today. I have a little butterfly and bee garden I am growing for the health of our bug friends. I hope we get some water soon, before the neighbors start to complain I'm using up the aquafer to water my flowers.

I guess we really don't have to wait for spring with the weather we are having. I have been thinking about starting some seeds in the house. I have a small grow light station DH set up for me a couple years ago in my office area. Got some seed catalogs in the mail last week so that should put me in the mood.

Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Hey everyone!
I'm not sowing seed until the end of February. This hot weather has caused a lot of things in my garden to bloom early. For the first time since I got it in 2009, my Confederate Rose bloomed.
My one Milkweed plant has seed pods, yea!
My plummies dropped all their leaves, but are now putting on new ones. Pegi can I beg a cutting of your 'Divine' plummie when it is ready? It looks divine. I'll let you have a start from my pink one if you want it. I still have the lilac, just let me know what color and when you want me to dig it out.
Lynda, please give me a call when you can, or an email addy. I'm sorry about loosing touch with you.
I've been really busy working on butterfly garden, and berry plants. In addition to everything else going on here on the farm.
It took me the whole month of August and part of September to dig up and divide my irises. I have a bunch left over if anyone wants some. DH told me to take them out to the Pumpkin Patch and sell them. So I did. I was so surprised that people bought them. Even more I was surprised that they came here specifically for them. I guess one lady heard about them at work and came to get some. So I'm going to give as many as I can away, and pot up some to sell this spring. They are free to my DG friends. I guess that Irises are hard to find at the local nurseries. Although, it seems to me that you can find just about anything on-line.
While we were doing some work on the old cabin, one of the fellows that came by told me his Dad was the guy who set a pile of irises out by the road with a free sign on them. I didn't see the pile because my friend and neighbor Pam, collected that pile and brought them home. When she got tired of planting them, she shared some with me. I planted some and gave some to my Mom. The guy who donated them originally is an oldtimer, in our area. His son was sort of surprised, and I told him to tell his Dad, I said thanks again for the irises. It's sort of fun how things come around like that.
I had to thin out my bananas if anyone is interested. LMK.
Dee, I noticed that the kitchen sage you gave me is blooming. : - )
I've missed you guys.
WIB~
SW

No Central, AZ(Zone 7b)

Hi all. Have been out of DG touch with everyone. Did go to Elsinore for Christmas with DD and spent time at the BEACH in Oceanside and San Diego, YAY, YAY, YAY. Thought of you Jules going by the Dairy where the marquee sign said Moooey Christmas. Sorry I did not stop by. May be there again this Month for baby shower of one of DD's friends who lived with use over a year. May be closest I come to being a Grandma, lol. DH has continued to have many medical stuff, one which may take him back to USC for a reversal/continuation of his 2011 12 hour surgery. He thinks I can just put him on a plane and he can have it done while I stay here to care for animals. Might work if it were me, but since his stroke his memory is not so good and getting worse. He already was not driving from just before surgery. He has finally agreed to go to the Barrows Neurological Institute in PHX to see if at this stage, 1.5 yrs post stroke, they can do anything. Not much winter here this year, maybe an inch of snow and tiny bit of rain. Lows in 20's and highs in mid 50's through 60's. Buds and now some blooms on peach, apple and apricot trees. They say not to plant anything before Mother's Day here (except trees and bushes) as Easter and beyond can bring snow.

Been missing you all too
Lynda

Hi Lynda, glad to hear from you. We are so in need of rain, got a little last week but not enough to help us out. We all were hoping for a good year, but so far it seems more medical problems flare up. Tony sure has gone through a lot over the years, and I hope you will have some good news soon. My DH is still battling the that ugly cancer. Took off treatments month of Dec. so he would feel good, but his PSA went up so back to treatments again. Sometimes I don't think I should be reading all this medical stuff on the Internet as now I read that he is stage 4 since the cancer has spread to his bones. It has been a few years since he was told that and he is holding up pretty good. Boy, am I finding out it is really hard having a sick man to take care of. You gave me a brug a long time ago and I finally got a couple of blooms on it. So pretty and smells so good. Haven't decided if I will have a garden this year or not due to drought conditions. We just have to tie a know at the end of the rope and hang in there. LOL

Pegi

No Central, AZ(Zone 7b)

Yes, Pegi, being a caregiver is very time consuming and sometimes feels unappreciated. When Tony started some leg therapy beginning in Jan (from a round of cancer in 1993) the therapist was asking questions and I was answering them all by memory and giving the medical stats. She asked if I were an RN or PA. I laughed and said internet research was done as Tony was diagnosed with each new thing. I have typed out a now 3 page document of his medical conditions, hospitals and drs he has been treated by and that is only for since 1993, a year after we married. Seems he saved all these glitches for wive #5 and is giving 'for better or for worse' a challenge.

Give our regards to Darwin too, we do think of him and Tony always enjoyed talking to him at the RU's. After his stroke in 2012 he still remembers him!

Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Hey all, I miss you too.
I really need to see you Lynda. Call me, pop in or something would ya?
Being a care giver is one of the hardest challenges in life. It's not easy being on either side of that relationship. I hope you are getting lots of karma points for doing the right thing.
I always hope that my kids will remember all the love, care, and kindnesses I've shown them and the others under my care. I really do hope they "get it".
I'm keeping you and Tony in my heart and prayers, too.
WIB~
SW

Prescott, AZ(Zone 7b)

I'm sure your kids will want to be there for you. My daughter said to me the other day "I'll take care of you when you get old". That was one of those moments I realized I must have done something right.
And just last month we were feeding our elderly neighbors as she was is in, or just out of the hospital and needed help with dinners. We all gotta take care of each other. It's the luck of the draw who gets sick and who has to be the caregiver.
I hope my kids realize just how wonderful being young and healthy really is and take full advantage of it.

Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Well said, Dee. I found out that my E. S. does pay attention to me. I caught him giving the cat his dogs had been harassing a bath. When I asked him why, he told me that he figured making the cat and dog smell the same would cause the dogs to leave the poor cat alone. The was traumatized, the dog was unhappy to get a bath, too. Must have worked though. They pretty much ignore each other now. : - )
I don't know if people really value their health when they are young, and have never experienced more than bumps, scrapes and the cold or flu. I'm pretty sure that if they ever think about it they are grateful, but I suspect most just take their good health for granted.
There ought to be a name for moments like that. Like "Mama moment"? Kind of like an aha moment? My kids never cease to amaze me. Most of the time in a good way. : - )
Hope to be back on my computer soon, and off this kindle.
Seedlings are calling name.
WIB~
SW

I agree with you Jules, we take our health for granted when we are young. Never suspecting when you get a lot older your body gets a lot older too. DH saw our primary doctor today and he was dehydrated so put him on an IV. He thought he was anemic too, but blood work showed he was fine in that department Then he had a chest X-Ray and that was OK too. On top of all that he had a cold and we all know how colds make us miserable. Said he wouldn't put him in hospital, would feel more comfortable at home. Well, I hope the antibiotics cure that cold. BTW he gave it to me now. By the way the doctor talks he is coming to the end of the line, doesn't feel the chemo is doing him much good. Well, I didn't like to hear that, puts you in a very down mood. He is so weak that he can barely stand up. But, when you won't eat that will make you weak. Maybe I can get him to eat some solid food soon, Ensure just isn't going to do it.

No Central, AZ(Zone 7b)

We pray for you both, Pegi. Tony's cancer has been pronounced as metastasized bladder cancer (from cancer, round 3, back in 2011) and he should be getting a port surgically put in to use to deliver the chemo. Radiation and chemo hopefully should start this week. All this pussyfooting around for a month when back in Feb his primary and urologist discussed after the first images that it must be bladder cancer in the lymph nodes! I was at my dr's this week and he asked twice if we had had the "quality of life" discussion. He is at least 20 years TOny's junior and he said HE would not be able to go through 'all that' (especially after I spoke of all his other conditions. This is Stage IV and is already in so much pain from his shoulder and already not hardly eating and already loopy on pain drugs, so I am not sure what to expect.

We should have Tony and Darius talk to each other.

Quiltygirl, Darwin;s cancer has metastasized to his bones, told this several years ago, also stage IV. He is starting to eat a little, like a scrambled egg and drinks lot of Gatorade. I guess it took the doctor telling him that not eating was making him weak, didn't listen to me. Of course, he will drink Ensure and that helps. He asked for oatmeal the other day, and then only ate a spoonful. The dogs cleaned up the rest of it. Rough road ahead for all of us. He is down to 162 lbs.

No Central, AZ(Zone 7b)

Tony has lost 30 lbs and does not even start therapy till next week. Yes, the dogs enjoy him only eating a small portion from a meal. The trick will be to get him to eat healthy food for calories, not fried or sweets. Last time he went through radiation and chemo was 20 years ago and did not affect his appetite or mood. Chemo was only 6 days in 2 mos and this time it will be 16 in 6 mos and longer radiation. And of course age factor and poorer health going into it.

He does not like the idea of Ensure, but does like chocolate milk so 2 friends have given 2 alternative to Ensure. One is chocolate milk mixed with pure whey as a shake for protein and two is chocolate milk with Carnation Instant Breakfast. The instant breakfast formula, with whole milk, is equal to Boost and apparently tastes better. These are from those who have gone through and/or cared for cancer patients. Gatorade is a good idea, although he SAYS he does not like and don't know if he has tried it.

Too many years in a year battling this for Darwin. What is his age? Tony looks at his father dying at 74 from a brain tumor and that is Tony's age now.

'Keep on keepin' on'

I'm glad to hear about the chocolate milk with Carnation Instant Breakfast. Put that on my grocery list. Doctor said to drink Gatorade, which he has been doing for a long time. Really good for dehydration problems. Some Gatorade drinks he doesn't care for, so guess I'll be drinking those. Darwin will turn 80 on May 7th. His dad died at 81, from a stroke. I was going to ask doctor about the protein powders. He likes root beer floats too. I keep hard boiled eggs on hand too as he does like them.

Trying to keep myself busy cleaning off a very dirty patio. With severe drought conditions there won't be much gardening this year. Only have one tomato plant and it better produce a nice crop.

Keeping all in prayer.

Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Hey girls,
Aloe juice is better than Gatorade, for supplying electrolytes and minerals. It really helps me when I get too dehydrated. You might also try feeding your guys some pudding. The commercial stuff is easy to serve and will fatten them up. All kinds of flavours to choose from.
When my mouth was wired shut, I practically lived on the stuff. I gained a real appreciation for butterscotch flavored pudding. I also surprised everyone by gaining weight while my mouth was wired shut. Pamper them a little. Make the pudding yourself out of more nutritious ingredients.
Tony and Darwin would probably enjoy drinking fruit and veggie smoothies.
Got diverted front goals upon receiving a request from FIL to create a photo collage of our life over the past 30 years here on the farm. It's due tomorrow. More to come after I get it done.
Keeping you all in my prayers.
WIB,
SW

Manhattan Beach, CA(Zone 10b)

Jamba Juice also carries a wide variety of healthy drinks. My sister and dad drank them when they were on chemo.

My mom also made a variety of healthy shakes out of fruits and veggies in the blender that reduced the need of solid foods.

Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

My ES is a master juicer. He makes all kinds of tasty things. I haven't tried Jamba Juice, but I'll be checking it out. Good on you Shorty to tell us about it, and to remind us about the blender. :-)
Sometimes, when you are ill, it's really hard to eat.
Do you guys get a channel on your tv called AWE? I was flipping through the channels and saw a program called "Wired for Weed". I found it interesting because it was talking about helping cure people with various illnesses, including cancer. The way it was laid out you have to wonder why the government doesn't allow the use of Medical Marijuana to help people heal. I invite you all to watch the show. I would like to have some discussion on the subject.
I wish that Tony and Darwin could try this stuff. If nothing else it would probably improve their appetites.
Keeping you all in my prayers.
On another topic, I got sideswiped on my way to post a new thread. : - (
However, I successfully completed my assignment of creating a photo collage of the last 30 years here at the farm, and even turned it in on time. Actually, the History Society was having a 10 year anniversary of it's creation. It's hard to believe it's already been 10 years. I remember getting a letter from a gentleman inviting us to create our own HS in town. I handed the letter off to a dear friend, who happened to be a lawyer, and she made it happen. It saddens me, that she didn't receive any recognition for her work. You see, I was injured shortly after giving her the paperwork. I wasn't able to participate the way I wanted to, which really saddened me. It's nice to see someone else picking up that ball and carrying it. Since my in-laws moved into town, they've been attending meetings, and keeping me posted. FIL, asked for me to put this together for the HS. They handled the stuff for the bee business. Boy, am I glad that I didn't have to do that too. I had to go to the hard copy photos to pull this together which was almost overwhelming. I went through 4 boxes of photos, didn't even touch any of the digital images. Which in some ways is a shame. Anyway, it turned out to be a fair representation of the activities here on the farm. I'll show you a photo as soon as I can get it downloaded. It was a good event, and I was surprised by how many people came out to the event. I knew a lot of folks and met a lot of new folks in our area. I really enjoyed myself, but it really tired me out.
My 'puter is working again, Yea! So I'm off to post on another Thread.
WIB~
SW

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.