Yardening Summer 2013 Part 3

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

I have heard you can clean tools efficiently by filling a pail with sand and adding oil (not sure what kind) and then jamming the tool back and forth in it. But I'm not sure how to dispose of that oily sand, so I've never done it -- and my tools are a mess -- not sharpened either. To go the extra step of sterilizing -- hmm.

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

I found this which calls for soaking them 20-30 minutes -- but that won't help if you are moving from plant to plant. http://homeguides.sfgate.com/sterilize-gardening-tools-23056.html

Apparently you should NOT use bleach. Lysol works well. See http://puyallup.wsu.edu/~Linda%20Chalker-Scott/Horticultural%20Myths_files/Myths/Pruning%20tools.pdf

This DG article says 1 minute is enough: http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/903/

This message was edited Aug 19, 2013 1:12 PM

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

Hap, I have a 5 gallon bucket of sand that was saturated with new motor oil and has been stored in my garden shed for several years now. It's great to clean the gunk and debris off the tools I've left outside too long. Of course, it doesn't sharpen anything and I've misplaced my sharpening files and stones.

I probably should sterilize my garden tools, but frankly I don't have much disease in my garden. Perhaps the very cold winter temps here in the mountains kills off many pathogens?

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

Darius: Does the bucket get completely gross? What will you do with it when it does? It seemed to me it would be environmentally a mess -- can't dump it in the back yard (or can you?). And can't recycle with motor oil.

Parkville, MD(Zone 7b)

I work in a lab where we isolate DNA and RNA from plant pathogens regularly. Our cleaners of choice are bleach and 70% ethanol.

If your tools are stainless steel, I would NOT use bleach which is corrosive to metals.

At home, my go to is rubbing alcohol (in the highest concentration I can find) in a spray bottle.

Great article, Happy. I read it after I had written all of my above comments and I'm glad that the author and I agree, except that I prefer alcohol spray to Lysol.

I also think that 1 minute should be more than enough to kill the germs. The most important thing is spraying the heck out of the tool, also spraying your hands and the handle and ANYTHING that may have come into contact with the plant sap. Completely soak the stuff, if the tool has hinges or moving parts, make sure to clean in those crevices too.

A lot of time at work, we use sterile razorblades when we chop tissue that may be diseased, and use them one time only, changing gloves every time. That may not be feasible in your garden, but it's about the only way to MAKE SURE you don't spread the disease.

That's my two cents and I hope it helps.

In several years of use, it is still not gross at all. It's not very oil-saturated, but kinda like using sandpaper to clean tools and somehow the dirt and veg matter disappears from year to year. Perhaps to the bottom of the bucket...

If it ever gets gross, our town recycling center takes used oil products. I suspect I could transfer it to a bucket with drainage holes and take that residue to the recycling center, or perhaps the whole container. I haven't seen any need to do that yet.

Silver Spring, MD(Zone 7a)

That's a good question about sterilizing tools--I've been wondering about this lately, too. Do the antibacterial wipes work at all? I like the rubbing alcohol in a spray bottle idea.

Somewhere in, MD(Zone 7b)

I use alcohol on my tools also, but I am very inefficient: I just pour it on my hands and tools straight from the bottle. < =/

I've read about the bucket of sand and oil thing but have yet to try it. One more icky thing to keep in the basement... I think I'll wait until I get the shed built. ;)

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Bucket of sand with motor oil doesn't sterilize the tools but it does keep them nice and clean, helps with rust, too.

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

Darius: Re buckets of sand -- do you rinse the tools first? It sounds as if you must if your bucket is still clean. My big shovels are often covered with dirt. I know, I know, it only takes a second to rinse them -- but that second could be enough for me to say "the Hell with it" and just hang them up....

Do you keep a cover on your oily sand?

Silver Spring, MD(Zone 7a)

Oh, very good to know about not using bleach! I'll keep cleaning with alcohol.

Yes I rinse, just slightly... and no cover on the sand/oil bucket but it probably should have one just for normal debris/dust in the air.

Happy, ALL of my tools always end up buried in stuck-on, icked-on dirt (there's always a bit of that lovely clay to be found, no matter how hard I try to replace it with compost), but... I guess it's that 'anal-retentive' thing in me; no matter how tired or sore I am, I always whip out the hose and scrub off my tools and then dry them. The only thing that gives me the motivation is the mere thought of going back to them next time and finding them covered in crud... NOOO!!! When I'm ready to play, it's time to PLAY, and I want no delays just to scrub up tools in order to have fun. They must be ready for me RIGHT NOW. =)

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

Sigh -- Speedie -- that is why your garden beds are like marshmallows and mine are like planks -- I just stick my tools on the hooks and don't look back! I guess I should consider changing my ways. What do you dry them with? Do you have a designated towel?

Yes Ma'am, "The Red Towels" are my tool drying towels. HAAHAHAAHAAA!!!!!! (does that sound like "Sleeping With The Enemy" or what!?!?). It's not as bad as it sounds... when we got new (black-and-white) kitchen towels, the red ones got relegated to "tool cleaning duty".

I put away a hand trowel covered in muck once... tucked it away into my tool bag, too tired to bother with it. Went back to it months later and found it all corroded and disgusting! NEVER AGAIN!!!

(and, in case you're wondering... YES, all the cans in my pantry are Face-Forward, all labels aligned. HAAA!!!!!) (... and don't EVEN ask about my spice "rack" organization!!) < =D

Thumbnail by speediebean Thumbnail by speediebean
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

ROFLOL, Speedie I could use just a little of that organization OCD.

Parkville, MD(Zone 7b)

Speedie, I am completely in awe of your meticulous spice rack. Some days, I'm just glad to get the salt and pepper off the dining room table....

You thought of everything with those labels. I bet you even have the dates they were purchased on the back.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

A little OCD would go a long way here! LOL
Josh's SO got a chuckle last year on vacation, I take most of my spices on the road since we cook on vacation and have a nice kitchen, anyway she ask where something was, I told her and she came back laughing her butt off, she thought it so funny they were in alphabetical order on the shelf.
I need to get some mowing in today, too damp for the tractor, so bagging will be required. Oh well, free mulch or compost.

I do date some of my spices, and store larger containers in sealed containers in the fridge.

This message was edited Aug 22, 2013 10:34 AM

I store my herbs and spices alphabetically too, on 2 shelves in my dark, cool pantry room. (I have a lot of them, many that are obscure in the average kitchen!) I should also date them, but I can usually tell when one needs replacing, esp. things like Turkish Bay leaves.

Several weeks ago I was awaiting an order of new Bay leaves from Penzey's, but needed one immediately so I looked in my sister's kitchen next door... I swear hers were at least 10-15 years old, maybe even older. They looked like antique parchment paper!

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

Isn't Penzey's great? There is a store near us -- I love to go!

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

I have spin aroundy thing for spices- don't know how anyone could ever find one if they weren't in at least roughly alpha order.

Watering is the only yardening I feel like in this humidity
: ^P

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Good call Sally, I am laying the cinderblock foundation for the chickie pen. The cinderblocks were buried behind the Leylands under a large grapevine and rosebush. So I had to get in there with the loppers and clean them off before I could start hauling them out. You can't get a wheel barrow in there so I had to carry them out. Really all this work and I only laid six of them so far. Sure doesn't look like much for all the work I feel like I did.

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Time for a pool break!!!!!

Sounds grueling, but I love digging up past 'discards' and making use of them!

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Mowing's done, now to water so I have more things to weed and mow. LOL I'll wait till morning to trim and weed more.
I did take a break in the shade and replaced a headlight in Holly's car, while at it I polished the headlights and waxed them. They were getting more translucent than clear. The best thing I've found is "Scratch Out" by Kit. It's sold at Ace, Pep Boys, etc. for about $7. No need for expensive or exotic treatment, just follow the directions, then wax on, wax off.

Thanks for mentioning Scratch Out- we have an older car with a pretty bad lens.

Toooooo funny; right after Jan said "Pool Break!" Sally posted "Sounds grueling".. HAHAHAAA!! The timing was perfect!

Eeewwww, ya know what I "got" to do at work today!? Prune a boatload of Centennial Girl Hollies. UGH!! And a bit of OUCH, too. < =/ My poor poked-up little hingers are NOT thanking me! But, it was interesting to see how NOT good at it I am. < =D

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Pool break is right, Here is a pic of what I got done today sure doesn't look like much yet.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Holly--

Your Chickies will have a fancy "condo" to live in....

Ric--question--The "Scratch Out"--is that just for headlights?

My car has never been, seriously, washed, shined or waxed. It is a 2002.
It looks really drab.
I should pay up and have someone 'detail" it for me. It is quite gross.
Not sure I want to do it myself--but, maybe, some day--I may get motivated,,,,

MY vinyl over the glove compartment (that gets the heat and sun unmercifully)
is already cracking. Anything that can moisturize it a bit? Is it too late?
Would that help? I am afraid it id on its way to old, cracked up looking.

Thanks--G.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Sally, I'm sure you could do it yourself, and you will notice a difference. Be sure to work in the shade.
Gita, on the interior you could use a cleaner, Simple Green or something like that, as soon as you get it clean and dried, apply something like Formula 2001 Super Protectant by turtle wax. If it's not too late it will help restore moisture to the vinyl and not make it all slippy, like some other products. This stuff is so good I use it on the exposed area of my pool liner to reduce uv damage before refilling. As to the exterior, the best product for you to use may be Turtle Wax Color Back. You wash rinse, dry, apply the product, let haze, wipe down, buff with a soft cloth. You need to be in the shade to do this! It requires no mechanical buffer. You can do it in steps, like roof 1 day, hood and tail 2nd day, and so on.

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

I can't WAIT to see photos of the chicken's in their new home!

All this and Ric's a Car Detailing guy TOO?? ((tipping my hat))

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Ric--

Thanks. The other day, this young Guy across the street was re-shining his car
by using a bottle of (???) mane by "Mother's.....something).

He said it REALLY brings back the color and shine.
Do you know what this may be? It was applied by a small shammie, or sponge
and then polished off.

I watched him do it--it looked great....Gita

Pardon me, I hope you don't mind me stepping in here, but Gita, there is a product line called "Mothers" car care products. Here's there website: http://www.mothers.com/02_products/05600_05632_05664.html

Not sure which specific product he was using on his car when you saw him, but you can view the whole line here. :)

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Mother's makes a fine product also, it is the "go to" for motorcycle enthusiast. I have used their chrome polish, but not much else.
The reason I like Turtle Wax is: it's easy to find, not expensive, has clear instructions, and usually gives the novice the desired result. Trying to sort through the myriad selection of general and niche products can be daunting. Two of Mother's products are superb: the clay bar cleaner/ synthetic wax, and the three step: polish, micro, Brazilian, both give excellent results. They can also be an ambitious commitment. In the USA, Brazilian wax was used on our cars first.
Now back to the yard. It's another overcast morning but with drying air so it's off to water, weed, and trim.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Thank you both.....

I need to go down to the Shop and look at all the car-wash/wax products
I already have down there.
I bet I have more than I will ever need to use on my old car.

I have something for everything down there--truth to be told...
as I tend to buy stuff on clearance and then not use it.
One of my BIG problems.... G.

Quote from Gitagal :

II tend to buy stuff on clearance and then not use it.
One of my BIG problems.... G.

I do it too!

I'm just a Pack Rat; clearance sales have nothing to do with it!

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Glad I have so much company! I'm afraid we are legion!!

The worst is KNOWING one's weaknesses--and yet CHOOSING not to do anything about it.

Then I KNOW it is out of my control. I just DO IT!!! Hate that I'm doing it--
but will, probably, continue doing it--- until I am 6' under....

At least I can blame all this on my childhood and "those" years.
A nice avoidance behavior.......
Gita

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

Moving on to Fall Yardening over here:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1331578/

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.