Weather; Dog Days of August

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Currently 86 and it's dark out. Very hot and humid. Weds we should see 100 just in the temp, not the heat index.

At work, the plants are drying out faster than we can water them. I get the flowers done, move to the shrubs and the first inch of dirt on the flowers is dry already.

Still humid and 78 now.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

90's / 70's Forecast for the next 8 days maybe 10 days .

Evaporation is really bad with these temperatures when growing plants , takes a lot of water and watering now .
I don't like watering , I like losing my plants even less ...
Crappy weather !!! it's miserable .. A few mosquitoes would make it all just right !!!

Even though the evaporation of ground moisture makes it dry ,
Did I forget the part about bathing in the humidity ? grrrr arrrrgh . yeah you all know ..

This message was edited Aug 27, 2013 2:09 AM

L.A. (Canoga Park), CA(Zone 10a)

Already 77F at 7AM. They are calling for a high of 95. It feels like it will be humid.

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

Current Weather 9:05 CST

75°F
Clear

Feels Like : 79
Wind : W 6 m/h

Humidity : 40%
Pressure : 1014 mb
Visibility : 9.9 miles

heading up to 88 F

tomorrow I'm going to wish I was in the Arctic hugging an iceberg!

Mountain View, HI

The night time showers are light or non existent. Had to go water some pots on the outside bench this morning as I saw some wilting. Dry trade winds will continue for the next day or so. Still getting near 80f during the day but not so bad with the lower humidity. More blue sky than cloud. (Note Waikiki and Maui are HOT with temps in upper 80s or low 90s, UV is 12 or 13, with redflag warnings. We can almost see the red glow of sunburned tourists and smell the sunblock)

Lilypon,88f is nothing compared to a 100f.Thats what we will have the next 2 days.I would take 88f any day over 100f.

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

Most here, including myself, don't have A/C Southgal.

Currently 91F Tomorrow and Thursday 91F again with Feels like of 102.

I live in a 100 year old three storey brick house and when it heats up it does what a brick kiln does best (bakes whatever is inside). It is at night that the heat seems to transfer inside the house so sleep is hard to come by. Forgot to say our houses are built to keep heat in *lots of insulation is in our walls to keep the cold out come winter (houses down South are insulated differently...there they are built to keep heat out).

We are also currently demolishing a deck and rebuilding it.

Also keep in mind we also have to adjust to looooong winters that are in the -30's and -40's (and some years the -50's). Both ends stink but we are more adapted to cooler weather. Don't think you folks visit that extreme at all. Saskatchewan's lowest temp was in the -70's and our highest temp was 113 (122 heat and humidity a couple of years ago).

This message was edited Aug 27, 2013 4:20 PM

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

3/4's of the truck now unloaded and I was his helper. Husband currently picking more lumber for under the deck. Looking forward to this deck as it is being built with the new composite materials.

This message was edited Aug 27, 2013 4:56 PM

Thumbnail by Lilypon
Mountain View, HI

OK so we got our Trade winds but by 2pm its now getting near 84f and standing in our driveway is like standing in front of a hair drier on medium heat. Supposed to be a cooling breeze. August is our hottest month :( I know, its not 95 or 100 but for us its hot.

Still at 88 and it's almost dark. Supposed to reach 100 tomorrow.

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

82º at the moment. Feels like a blast oven.
High today was 95º, we were on the asphalt parking lot all afternoon trying to sell veggies.
Probably $200 short of what could have been.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

90's today here also , 78 now ,, it's hot .
74 % humidity
no wind . IT'S AUGUST ..

Wow!!! Lilypon,their is no way i could live without a/c.I would be buying window units if i didn't have a/c.

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

Most don't have it here because we usually have cool nights. However for about 1 to 2 weeks, when crops ripen, the dew point rises so the nights can be uncomfortable. The year we hit 122 (temp and dew point) we had crops ripening but we also had humidity come up from the Gulf of Mexico (rare to get it that bad but it happens). For most of us it just isn't worth it to spend that much money on something we would only use for one week. That one year however the dew points kept rising to inhumane levels for three weeks (we also had record breaking rain in the spring which didn't help).

Our house also has windows that won't hold an A/C unit. Now about 5 years ago we had our steam boiler break down so we had a furnace and all the heating ducts installed so we now could look at having A/C that way. However our windows are next in line for replacement...the windows that were installed back in the 50's aren't energy efficient so we are getting the old stained glass (that we found hiding in the garage) repaired and installed into new double or triple pained windows (sometime this winter). Keeping the warmth in come 5 to 6 months of winter cold is higher up on our list.

The deck we are rebuilding this summer is replacing the original deck that was built with the house. It rotted out about the same time our boiler gave up the ghost.

Now today I am doing a jig (those nights that were predicted to be in the mid 70's with higher humidity have now disappeared off this weeks forecast) and the day temps of near 100F have also dropped down to around 91 (though I'm sure they will be a little higher since this morning is already hot).

Currently at 10:30 am 86F with a feels like of 95.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Depending on where your standing at this hour . 98 DEGREES NEAR THE DRIVE 92 BACK IN THE GARDEN
It's Hot 11 MPH Breeze feels really good .
Humidity is a low 54% at this hour evaporation is quick ..

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

I hope you watered your plants early this am Juhur7!

I just came from FB where I saw the meteorologist from Grand Forks, North Dakota post this:

"Grand Forks public schools will let out early for Thursday and Friday as well due to weather conditions. Next week way better thankfully."

He said earlier that around 80% of the schools there don't have A/C (ours is 100% without A/C).

I should check and see if one restaurant here has A/C yet. We went there for supper about 2 weeks ago and their A/C had broken down. It is located in a fancy hotel and only the restaurant section lost their A/C. The kitchen has a flame broiler and steam washer (the restaurant I'm pretty sure was at that 122 reading). The chef was told, while we were there, that the part would take 2 to 3 weeks to arrive from Montreal...I have a strong suspicion the air turned blue in that kitchen re chef's temper. He and the rest of the staff were wearing sweat bandanas to mop up the results of those hellish conditions. My workplace went through that twice (the year we hit 122 was one of the times the A/C there couldn't handle it). We only shut down for one day though (windows are sealed shut but city staff were called in to open every door over night, set up high power fans, and to stay nearby). Inside still was damn hot but it did help and prior to the part arriving a cold front eventually came through.

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

already way above predicted temps....

A few clouds

35°C / 95F

Feels like 36 / 97

Currently 91 but we got lucky today. Have a small breeze and low humidity so that helped alot. But like Ju said, mositure evaporating quickly. Everything at work that was watered this morning was getting watered again this afternoon or at least as much as I was able to get. They were already half way dry.

Mountain View, HI

Started out with clear blue sky and just a hint of clouds coming at us from the North East.
By midday we have a nice breeze, the clouds arrived, broken but enough to cut the heat back a bit. No measurable rain now for about 4 days. Still in the low 80s, upper 60s at night.

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Not so hot today, but no wind & high humidity.
82º now.

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

Canada's hot spot and a record breaker for this province on this day : Swift Current SK 35.6C 96F

Some farmers anticipating record-breaking canola crop

August 28, 2013

The recent heat wave hitting southern Saskatchewan is just what the farmers wanted and swathing is in full gear with harvest hot on its tail.

Dale Paslawski farms near Cedoux, but travels throughout Saskatchewan for work and is impressed with the canola crop that he sees in the area.

“Swathing canola is going full bore right now,” said Paslawski. He predicted a record canola crop for some farmers in the southeast and said some farmers could get as much as 60 bushels of canola an acre.
http://www.weyburnreview.com/article...ng-canola-crop

This message was edited Aug 28, 2013 10:46 PM

That's good, Lilypon

They are calling for a high of 100F today.

Tonight will be in the 70's and tomorrows high will be 100 or above.

Our high will be very near 100 tomorrow and Saturday before slowly dropping back down. Hot even in early mornings.

Welcome to my world Pepper.Its hot from one morning til the next.The fans and A/C runs around the clock.Thats why i am ready for some cool weather.

Me too!!!! Fall is one of my favorite seasons!!

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

Thanks Kelli and I have a huge thank you to say to the United States for sending that heat up here and getting our crops to harvest as well as getting this outside growing treasure of mine to bloom!

It will have to come inside soon!

Thumbnail by Lilypon
Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Yeah well Lilypon . your a patriot , and were all wanted for treason ,, hee hee . The only thing is were all a food and Canola oil fan our self .
90's again for today 65 now
Humidity 94%
no wind at this time
Misty , cool morning

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Hot and humid. Period.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Were ending the month at 0.83 in . of rain . More than 3in below normal .
C_ville )add dry ..lol
.com ,,

Got up to 103F yesterday. They're calling for 97F today. It is already 78F at 7AM.

Winter Springs, FL(Zone 9b)

Well at least the last few days we stayed under 90°, humidity was down below 26% in the afternoon, kind of unusual to be that low this time of year. No rain for a few days now.

Kelli I grew up in So Calif, near Riverside and Palm Springs, I remember the very hot days in August.

Yeah Pepper,i like fall too,because it is the right kind of cool weather.

Reached 100 today. Temps start breaking next week thankfully!!

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Even hot today at 80º, stupid humidity & no breeze.

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

88F and dry as dust.

The met in North Dakota said he was sharing with us and he hasn't seen rain since mid June (except for some yesterday). His poor backyard was having a tough time growing weeds. They have a fighting chance now since he might be getting a good shower tomorrow.

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

Thank you Juhur re liking our Canola (you aren't alone as the chefs at Disney also are big fans of it as well).

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Canola is great stuff , see, great minds and kitchen lovers think alike

71 DEGREES
84% HUMIDITY

Heading for 93 today .

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

Today is going to be a day to treasure! Currently 59F (thank you Mother Nature for the A/C)!
:D

Saskatchewan Weather Report

A day so hot
the goldfish bubbled
in the bowl and offered
up fish and chips.

A night so cold
the curve of the moon
froze to the tip
of the wind's tongue.

A wind so high
the trees tore out