Bromeliads for Novices and Addicts - August 2013

shellharbour, Australia

Hi everyone – It seems like everyone is copping the wind over these last few days. Yesterday afternoon the wind here became gale force for about three quarters of an hour and blew down a very large branch from my neighbour's 130 year old Norfolk Island Pine. It fell on his garage roof and bounced off and crashed onto the concrete path below. When it hit the path it did so with an almighty crash exploding into smaller pieces some of which landed on our roof and front porch. There were broken tiles on the neighbour's garage but fortunately no damage to our place, but it did give us a bit of a shock as I thought initially it had broken the window in the bathroom. It does however make you appreciate the strength of Mother Nature.

Ian – It must be a very busy time for you with your group meeting and market day on the same day. Brom's, brom's everywhere and decisions on which ones to buy.

I don't know about Alcantarea seedlings Ian as I don't grow them, but I find with my other seedlings when they stop growing, it's time to start feeding if they aren't large enough to transplant; if they are large enough well then it's time for some new potting mix and a bit more room to grow. As for some of them being unstable, I had this happen once and when I knocked them out of the container I found a curl grub under the mix and I suspect it may have done the damage to the roots.

I've never had any success with Cryptanthus and I now realise that it's probably because I was using the wrong shape and size container. There are some beautifully patterned types around and I'm determined to have another go sometime in the future just to satisfy myself that they can be grown here where I live. I've since done a bit of reading about them and also see where they are pretty good feeders as well and this could have been part of my problem as well as I didn't feed them on the advice of another grower who obviously didn't know what he was talking about.

What you say about the 'Charm' hybrid you posted could well be correct as it may well have been grown from 'Charm' seed without any knowledge of the pollen parent. Writing the name label as 'Charm' hybrid at least does tell us that the seed parent was Charm. Far better than no label at all and just relegating it to the ranks of the many thousands of NOIDS.

Neo.'Charm' has produced some very nice plants when used as a parent as the 41 registrations on the BCR will attest.
See: http://botu07.bio.uu.nl/bcg/bcr/index.php?fields=Parents&id=3371&search=charm

Thanks for the offer of a Bill.'Fantail' pup, I'm sure I probably have another Bill I can give you in exchange (any ideas?).

As for the beige shade cloth, I wasn't aware of what you say about it stopping 41% of the uv radiation, however it seems to be correct as I remember last year which was the first summer I had it on the roof and I was getting a bit worried as the hot weather approached, and even with the two heatwave days and with a lot of plants hanging up high, I didn't get a single plant suffer any damage from the sun's rays, so I guess that has to be proof enough.

Speaking about turning plants around, I was once told by a show judge that the best way to get a nice uniform plant both in shape and colour was to give it ¼ turn every week; I don't know if it works as I haven't tried it, but the judge that told me is a very knowledgeable bloke and I have no reason to doubt him, but I just keep forgetting to try it. I can understand how disappointed you must have been when you burnt your Neo Miranda, but maybe it mightn't have got burned if you had tuned it just a little each week as that judge recommended to me.

I'm not at all experienced in the names of Billbergias but I do know there are many different forms of Bill. Amoena and it's hybrids, so that name may not be incorrect after all. As you say though there are a lot of blotches in it and I would have expected a “rubra” to be just the one colour. I do have one of the smaller growing Bill. Amoena types and that will get a pale bronze type colour with some lighter blotching on the foliage when grown in high light and when shade grown the foliage is just plain light green. So like everything else, I think it gets down to the amount of light it's grown under.

That's a very artistic pic of 'Super Duper Grace' with the sun shining behind it. Do you know if it was bred from Bill.'Super Grace'?

I also like your Bill.'Tickled Pink' which I think from memory has Bill.'Strawberry' in it's parentage as I remember a friend who gave me some of his seedlings in which he used Bill.'Strawberry' as a parent mentioning it was also a parent of Bill.'Tickled Pink'. I must look it up and see what the BCR tells me about it.

Yes the old “Black Ointment”, you can still buy it and it's called Ichthammol. The white one you speak of is now sold under the name of Magnaplasm and was just a paste made from Epsom Salts and used originally on horses. The black one wasn't as severe as the white one but was quite messy while the white one was easily washed off as it was water soluble.

As for Bates Salve, I remember as a kid I once had a boil on the back of my neck and my older brother's mate said he knew how to fix it with this Bates Salve so he went home and got it. I still remember it looking something like a light brown square shaped thick crayon. Anyway I was told to lie on the floor on my belly and the next thing I knew there was this burning pain on my neck as he had melted it with a lighted match and dripped it directly on my boil; to this day I still cringe every time I hear that name.

More nice pic's in your second lot, but a word of warning about the Bill. 'Foster's Striate', it is a nice plant but I always found it seemed to attract soft scale much more than any other plant, so best keep an eye on it. Nice Guzzie pic's also especially the two albo-marginated ones.

Sue – It's about time you visited us again, I don't know, you always seem to be tripping off somewhere enjoying pub lunches while we're all either at work or at home working, anyway good onya, you're only young once so make the most of it.

That plant of Ian's (Ae. Gigantea) which you mention may not be correctly named, I have also found that FloraPix Brom-L Picture Gallery is another good site to get ID's.

Thanks for the tip on using styrofoam as backing boards for stags or elks, I must give that a go. I only ever made a wooden backing board and covered it with an old hessian bag or a bit of old carpet and mounted the plants on that. It does work well but will rot down in time so maybe the styrofoam is a better option.

I only ever went skating once and spent most of the night sliding around on the ice on my bum, not very pleasant with a frozen bum all night.

They're nice looking plants of Canistrum triangulare and I'll bet they're a real picture when they send up that brilliant scarlet coloured flower. That's also a beautifully coloured Cryptanthus as well, and thanks for the tip about the African Violet mix, maybe it was my mix that was why I couldn't grow them.

Cody – That was just a little bit of a joke and was based on a book I once read called “Let's talk Strine” Without really realising it some of us do tend to put a different accent on different words and sometimes clip them short as well and as that's what we've learned to live with we don't notice it. It seems to be more common with people who come from a country background and I was just trying to spell some of the words the way I say them.
To translate what I wrote (Lesson 2 in Strine) …...Ow = (How); Youse = (plural of you) and meaning you and Alex; goin = (going); ere's = (here is); ya = (your)
Now your homework for the day is to learn all of these and there will be a test next week, Ha Ha.

More random pic's around the yard to finish up with again today. Pic.1 is one of my only three Alcantareas and called 'Extensa' (I think) please correct me if it's wrong. Pic.2 is looking in toward the Frog Pond which is just to the right of centre and if you look closely you will see the leaves of the Water Iris sticking up. Pic's.3 and 4 are plants hanging in front of the fence at the rear of the Frog Pond and Pic.5 are some hanging plants in another shade house where I once had a vegie garden. Notice how much better the colour is in the last pic which is an area with beige shade cloth when compared with the other pic's from areas with green shade cloth

All the best, Nev.

Thumbnail by splinter1804 Thumbnail by splinter1804 Thumbnail by splinter1804 Thumbnail by splinter1804 Thumbnail by splinter1804
Coffs Harbour, Australia

good morning all.
DG gone and changed again, and I thought the page wasn't loading properly, so logged out and logged back in, only to realise the pages are there, just they don't start until 20cm down the page. more room for adds?
Just a quick drop in today as i am running, well, on time, but only just. What gorgeous weather we are having. Sorry to those who copped those terrible winds yesterday. We had it a bit gusty, but not too bad. More sticks to rake up and keep me busy. It was 29.5 degrees at its hottest yesterday, and so hot I had to roll up my trackies (track suit pants, Cody) and put on my jandals (thongs, Nev)
I've already watered a patch today, and decided i will start to water an hour each morning, in one spot or another, while the weather is nice. I am also beginning some liquid fertiliser on the green leaved plant varieties, using Thrive, to kick them into spring.
Nev, the photos of your plants are looking great, and what a big difference the beige is making for your neos. Do try the styrafoam backing for your elks, with a bit of sphagnum moss to keep the heart of the plant damp. The plants end up completely covering the board, and make it easy when attaching to trees. Nice and light, and can be held on with a stocking, which last as long as the plant takes to cover the board and attch itslef to the tree, like a limpet.
I haven't got any pics, but plan to get one of A. kertezsiae and A. gigantea for Ian, later.
Really, I have to go, so will catch up this arvy.
I spent yesterday fixing up the wind damage on the sales igloo, and it took ALL DAY! So now, i still have quite a few chores on my 'to do' list, but I am sure i will find spare hour to catch up.....I hope.
Hi to all
Sue

Hi to all!!!

Nev,lol you are so silly.I did get some of them right.Lol!!! I am sure with y'all having a accent it was hard to say different words.Love the pics!!!Take care!!!

Hi Sue,so it got hot your way today,thats great.The weather here today was 97 degrees in F.The heat index was 105.So it felt like a 105 instead of 97.Take care!!!

We winged two baby horses today from their moms.Thats is a trip to do that,because they act up.
Waving to everyone and have a bless day.
Cody

This message was edited Aug 12, 2013 7:32 PM

North Ipswich, Qld, Australia

Hi All Fellow Gardener's,

Can you please help me name my babies here?

Debi

Pic 2 & 3 - Same Plant
Pic 4 & 5 - Same Plant

Thumbnail by Degarotty Thumbnail by Degarotty Thumbnail by Degarotty Thumbnail by Degarotty Thumbnail by Degarotty

Hi Debi,glad you made it to the thread.I am sure someone will be able to help you soon.Love the pics.Take care!!!
These are great friends of mine on this thread.They will be the ones to help you!!!!
Cody

Good day to all.As to i am calling it a night.5:30 comes early.

Hope everyone is well!!!

Cody

Hi all, Just had a day of watching my plants and the sun and moving a few to different locations. I also ordered a roll of shadecloth today. It might be a bit more than I need at the moment but I'll possibly need it next year for the next extension. It is funny that the price is about half of the local price and is delivered to my door. Locally I would have to collect it myself. It is coming from Brisbane area.
Debi welcome to the group. Your Pic 1 looks to me like a Neoregelia Mini called Fireball or 1 of it's hybrids if it is about10 cm high. Pic 2&3 are Neo compacta. I have no idea what the other plant is, but someone else may. It is very green and looks as if it could use more light but be carefull with too much sun or it will burn.
Cody I have finished reading a book while I relax. I might actually do something helpful to myself and broms tomorra. Here is a hug a smile and a wave.You talk with a funny accent too, you wing your horses, here we wean them. We wing birds by breaking a wing so that we can capture them. Used to anyway.
Nev The second Sunday of every month is hectic and full on brom day. We also have a field day every 2 years and that takes some planning. Our meetings are in members homes and we get to see what has been done since the last visit. We don't each get a turn each year and there can be quite a lot of changes. I don't know about the breeding of Super Duper Grace or Tickled Pink, I may have looked them up and have forgotten them.
I just might have to get some special Name Tags and put them on my warning plants, ie the ones most susceptible to scale. Maybe another colour to mark plants most susceptible to rot.
I think most of us old enough to remember those treatments possibly had bad experiences with them and that is why we remember them so vividly. I have Elk horn ferns growing on styrafoam and have been doing so for a few years, it works in the sub tropics also.
Have a good one.
Ian
PIc 1 Neo Mottles
Pic 2 Neo Crimson Nest
Pic 3 Neo Gespachio
Pic 5 Neo Movmaroloc
Pic 4 Neo Lilac Dream

Thumbnail by ianperry Thumbnail by ianperry Thumbnail by ianperry Thumbnail by ianperry Thumbnail by ianperry

Hi to all!!!
Ian,thats is great you got some rest.It comes in handy with the way you work.That is what i meant was wean.Now you are picking on me.He he!!! I have been told that i have a southern accent.Thanks for the hug,smile and a wave.I am sending you a hug,smile and waving back as well.Love your pics!!!Sleep well Ian!!!Take care.
Ian,have a good time with your plants tomorrow.I have to make alex get ready for school now.
Waving to all!!!
Cody

This message was edited Aug 13, 2013 6:31 AM

Brisbane, Australia

Hi everyone,

Nev, I am sure neo Sands of Time is a Barbarian hybrid and a really pretty one, I think. Nev, you just don’t appreciate beauty, “that prickly bloody thing” is a stunner, well I think.

You were lucky that you didn’t get any damage from your neighbour’s falling Norfolk Island Pine branch. The wind blows here, then dies down, waits for me to pick up pots and plants that have blown over, then returns and knocks them over again. I have picked up a few of the larger sticks in the front garden but it seems a bit of a waste of time at the moment.

Ian, waiting to see pics of your new purchases. Sorry to hear your Neo Miranda got burned. Love your bill Super Duper Grace, it’s gorgeous and also your variegated guzzies.

Sue, sounds like you had a lovely weekend. I won’t be trying to cross pollinate the vrieseas this year, I am just excited that they will be throwing pups.

I don’t have a 20 cm space at the top of DG, though the page has changed again and is much wider. The five pics fit across the page with room to spare. It has been really hot here the last couple of days as well … loving it.

Hi Cody and Debi, lovely to see a new poster. I will leave the IDs of your plants to those more knowledgeable.

Hi to everyone else

Pic 1 – neo Silverado, pic 2 – Ae Aztec Gold, pic 3 – Vr The Daintree x Whitebands, pic 4 – Ae Ensign

Bye, Shirley

Thumbnail by works4me Thumbnail by works4me Thumbnail by works4me Thumbnail by works4me

Hi Shirley,you say its hot their.If you lived here,then you will be saying were is the cold weather.I just walked 2 miles and i was dripping in sweat.We are suppost to be getting a cool front.I wish it would come sooner then later.Love your pics!!!Take care!!! Enjoy your day!!!

Cody

shellharbour, Australia

Hi everyone – I didn't get any brom work done yesterday as I was at the museum all day, however if the wind stays away today I hope to continue on with the multitude of unfinished chores I have.

Sue – You're lucky you missed the wind we had, it was windy all day but it wasn't until about 3-4 o'clock that it really became savage. According to the paper this morning, quite a lot of trees down and roof damage from the winds and the S.E.S. still attending to calls.

Cody – Hi Cody and Alex, don't forget to practice your “Strine”. Oh sorry I forgot to tell you, “strine” = Australian.

You make me very envious when you say you walked two miles today, I used to love going for a 4km walk every morning but unfortunately it is now just a memory, but keep it up as it's a great way to exercise and doesn't cost you a fortune like gyms do either.

Debi – Hi! It's always nice to see a newbie posting and I hope you make it an on-going thing as we all like to share pic's and cultural information about our plants.

I'm not too sure about the plants in your pic's except to say they are all bromeliads and all look to be from the Neoregelia family. If the one in the first pic is smaller than the others it could be one of the Neo. Fireball hybrids but other than that I have no idea. The plant in Pic.2 looks to me like Neo. McWilliamsii or even Neo. Compacta (both have reasonably long stolons). The one in Pic.3 could be one of the may forms of Neo. Cruenta or one of the many look alike hybrids. No doubt you will get answers from some of our other growers and then you can go to the Bromeliad Cultivar Registry at the following web site: http://botu07.bio.uu.nl/bcg/bcr/index.php or the FCBS Photo Index at http://fcbs.org/ and check the pictures of the suggested plants against your pic's.

I hope we continue to hear from you as I don't think we have any growers in the Ipswich area with the nearest being Jen or Shirley who are both over an hour from you.

Ian – That's good news that you've been able to get a roll of shade cloth much cheaper than you can locally. The reason for the cheaper price is possibly that this company sells a lot more than your local supplier and can therefore buy it in in larger quantities at a reduced price, in other words a case of supply and demand.

You will find this with everything but especially agricultural supplies especially pots, hangers fertilisers etc. as the more you buy the cheaper they get. We buy a lot of stuff through our society and to give an example, a plastic pot hanger costs me .30c and the same hanger at a local nursery is $1.25 and at another nursery further down the coast they are $1.50. When you think that the distributor is still making a profit out of the .30c price, the mind boggles at the profit these nurseries are making.

When I grew orchids years ago, about six of us would combine our pot order and buy direct from the wholesaler and save heaps, and even now it's still possible to do the same with some of the larger companies and I think Garden City Plastics is probably the cheapest and I know if the order is over a certain amount, the delivery is free as well.

I think the idea of meeting at a different member's place each month is a far better (and cheaper) way of holding your meeting than in a hall. It's amazing how much extra information and hints you pick up by just looking at other collections as everyone has different ideas on how to do things and what works best for them. It is also a much more friendly environment as well, more like a family; the problem is though that as your group grows it will become too large for this type of meeting and then you will have to meet at a hall or similar venue, so make the most of what you have while you have it.

While looking at your pic of Neo.'Gespacho'/'Gespachio' I noticed how different it looks to mine and when I checked it on the BCR I see that both the BCR and your plant have the lighter colouration in toward the centre of the cup whereas mine (Pic.1) has it out near the leaf tips. This now poses some questions; is mine wrongly named? Is the plant a bit unstable? (which would explain the differences) or are there similar cultivars from the same seed batch which were all given the same name? Or is it a hybrid from a cross using 'Gespacho'/'Gespachio' as a parent? Does anyone else have this plant and if so, can you please post a pic of your plant for comparison?

About the elks and Styrofoam, do you fix the Styrofoam onto a board so you have a solid base to attach a bit of chain or wire to use as a hanger?

Shirley – I think you got that wrong; I do appreciate things of beauty but just not things with prickles. My hate phobia with prickles started way back as a small boy when I was chasing a ball and ran in to my aunty's rose garden. These were the old style heirloom roses and full of thorns not like the hybrids you get today with hardy any thorns at all on some. I can still remember lying on her kitchen table while her and Mum pulled out the thorns and then applied the old black ointment.

Like you, I don't have a 20 cm space at the top of DG either and it's good to see they have fixed it up so the pic's we post are now on the one line instead of four on top with one below. I guess with all of these sites they are trying for improvement all the time but sometimes things don't work out as they expect. I would like to see them lift the limit of just five pic's per post though as I remember on the old Garden Web site I could post pic's of our show thirty or so all in the one post and that made it very convenient to do; but then I suppose it was done to prevent people from tying things up with their pic's all of the time.

I like your Neo.'Silverado'. It's always good to have something with a very different colour to break up the other colours. I have an unusual similar coloured but smaller plant called Neo.'Wait-a-While' and I'll see if I can get a decent pic to post. You've done a good job with your Ae.'Aztec Gold', that's a beautiful example of how it should look. Your Vr. 'The Daintree' x 'Whitebands' reminds me that I have some seed of Vr. fenestralis x 'Whitebands', and if anyone wants some just tell me, and what can I say about your Ae.'Ensign' a really beautiful plant and certainly one of my favourite Aechmeas.

That's it for today and the first pic is of my (so called) Neo.'Gespacho'/'Gespachio' grown beneath 75% beige shade cloth. The next four pic's are of plants in the shade house I converted from the old vegie garden and as you can see are also in need of some dead-leafing.

All the best, Nev.

Thumbnail by splinter1804 Thumbnail by splinter1804 Thumbnail by splinter1804 Thumbnail by splinter1804 Thumbnail by splinter1804
shellharbour, Australia

Hi again - I forgot to add this site in the previous post : http://www.bromeliadforum.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=2101.0;topicseen

It will demonstrate the advantages of being able to show more than just five pic's along with possible new ideas from someone else's garden.

All the best, Nev.

Hi Nev,I can walk 2 miles everyday.I love to walk and listen to my MP3 player while walking.I have walked every since i was a kid.It does do me good and it makes me feel better.If it is to hot outside i skip my walk that day.I hate going to the gyms to work out,i have tried it.Walking is what keeps me in shape.Thats the best work out ever.Love the pics!!!Take care!!!
Cody

Coffs Harbour, Australia

good morning all. Hi Debi! Long time no see. I was only thinking of you yesterday, when i was looking at a couple of succulents we traded many years ago. How are you keeping? I can't help much with identifying your plants, other than to agree that photo 2 and 3 are either Neo. macwilliamsii or compacta. I think Compacta is a much smaller plant. As for photos 4-5 you may have to wait for a flower, and maybe the centre will flush some colour then, or as nev suggests, introduce it to a bit of morning sun, slowly, to see if the foliage changes colour.
Hello Cody, I used to have a peice of paper with the conversions from Farenheit to Celsius, but seem to have lost it. It has cooled back to the normal 22-25 degress during the day, which is still amazing for this time of year. I get my exercise by riding around the block on my pushy (push bike) with the dogs. It makes the 3 km go in 20 minutes instead of 40 when i walk. I only go at my dogs pace though, no making them gallop!
Shirley, four stunning photos there, with all of them having great shape and colour. I've been doing the 'pick up stick' thing this week, and hopefully the worst of the wind is over. I am trying to get a bonfire built, as I suspect the bush fire season may be bought forward, as it was last year. Its still smokey out, so theres something burning somewhere. My main task in the garden is just to water a spot every day until we get some rain. The lawns haven't gron much in about three weeks (noice) and neither have the weeds....much.
Have you been keeping well, and have you had much time in your garden?
Nev, I have a Neo 'Gespacho' somewhere, but it looked more like yours, from memory, and i was very dissapointed with it. I like neo. 'Camelot' more, although it is a smaller plant, but more stable.
With the styrafoam and Elks, as small plants they are quite light, so a hook of wire into the back is enough to suspend them. I usually then mount them to a palm tree trunk, as soon as they begin to cover the edge of the styrafoam, but would imagine it wouldn't work with larger specimens, if they are to be kept mounted on it, and not allowed to atach to another support.
Well, I still have the 20cm gap, but i am working from the tablet, so maybe its a moile device problem? I shall try the PC later and see how it looks. I am glad to have the five photos back in line.
Nev, that link has just way too many photos to look at right now! I will have to come back and have a browse when time allows. I am glad we have five photos, and its a vast improvement on the original one we were only allowed for years!
photo one is for Ian and shows a clump of Aechmea kertezsiae
Photo two is for Cody, showing a clump of NOID guzmanias in the garden
Photo three is for Nev, showing how well his xNeophytum 'Galactic Warrior' pup has done!
Photo four is the blooms of billbergia curlew
Photo five is for the orchid admirers. Oncidium 'Sharry baby' that smells like chocolate.
Hello to everyone looking in. About 650views on this thread, so i know you're out there!
Well done to everyone for all the photos. Its a pleasure looking at what you've all been doing and growing.
Sue

Thumbnail by weed_woman Thumbnail by weed_woman Thumbnail by weed_woman Thumbnail by weed_woman Thumbnail by weed_woman
Merino, Australia

Hello everyone.
My goodness, I had to read an awful lot of posts. I must read them more often as I get lost and forget what I was going to write.
I love the long informative posts though, as I get so much info from them.

Its cold wet and windy still, down here.
Nothing much is getting done outside.
I am pleased with all my nroms and the way they are looking after all the cold.
I think the only ones to show any real problems are two small gruberi x Tiger Tim vrieseas I bought. They are quite small and looked pale when I bought them, so they may green up later in the warm. The one I have from Shirley is beautiful , but was larger to start with.
All the other broms seem to be doing well. I will really be able to tell when the warm weather gets here and I start moving them all around.

Ian, I do like your bills Super Dooper Grace and Theodore Mead.
I am getting a few more bills now as I have become fond of them.
My latest are Carioca and Hanna Hou.
Maybe in the future when mine pup, we may be able to swap.
I find that bill Fosters Striate is a prolific pupper.
I turn all my pot plants at least once a month as I learnt from an older lady years ago , this makes them grow more even in color and shape. It applies to all pot plants unless they are in an open position and get even light.

Nev, glad you are no longer having computer problems.
Darn things have minds of their own sometimes.
Re my new brom chantinii rose, I am not sure what it is really.
I bought it for only $4 as I like the look of the bars and hoped it was a chantinii.
There were 2 plants in the pot apparently so the seller sent them both.
The leaves were very long and lanky so I cut them to the size you see in the pic , ( about 12"long now )
I did have a small chantinii bought from a local market, but at the time I knew nothing about broms , so kept it down in the shadehouse in winter. It died . The new ones will be in the greenhouse. I will keep you posted on them as they grow.
Re shadcloth, I have always used green , but bought beige when the shop ran out of green.
I will keep using the beige as it definitely lets in more light. All my epis have been under it for years now and grow better. They get full sun all day in their shadehouse and never burn.

Shirley, that pachypodium is certainly one prickly plant. I am with Nev in my dislike of prickly buggers. Too many thorns over the years.
I still have to be careful among my epis, as they have small, hardly seen prickles that catch you unawares all the time.
I try to remember to always wear gloves in the garden. I have several pairs for different jobs.
The tough ones for roses etc.

Hello Sue , Cody and everyone else I missed.

Hope you are all enjoying sunshine where ever you are

My orchids were kind to me this year and flowered. I have an ongoing love hate relationship with them
I love them , they hate me...lol
No brom pics today but I hope you dont mind, here are a three of the cymbids.The stems on the last two are a metre long

Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset Thumbnail by 77sunset Thumbnail by 77sunset

Hi Sue,i don't know how hot it gets their,but here like 100 degrees in farenheit is dangerous hot to be in.It can cause someone to have a stroke.Thats just how hot it can get here.When i say heat index that just means that its hotter then what it really is.I love that plant.It has lots of flowers on it.Love all your pics.Take care!!!!

Hi Jean,nice pics.Take care!!!

Cody

Good day to everyone!!! I am calling it a night.

Ian,hope you was able to play in the garden today.

Goodnight to all!!!

Cody

Brisbane, Australia

Hi all,

Cody, it’s officially still winter here but the days are certainly warming up, Spring is only a couple of weeks off. I expect we will have a hot summer this year.

We had a severe storm warning late this arvo but fortunately it went around us, we didn’t get any wind or rain, not even any thunder rumbling around.

Nev, I have two neos which I purchased as Gespacho, I will post pics of both of them as pups and as more mature plants.

I am unable to open the website from the link you provided. I have tried to register and it comes up with the message ‘error – sorry, registration is currently disabled’

Sue, glad you like my pics. I haven’t used the new camera yet … haven’t had time to even read the instructions. Actually, I’m not sure where I put it, but I must read up on it and try it out.

I have had bad sinusitis lately, lots of smoke and dust about and lots of pollens too.

Jean, pleased that your Vr Tiger Tim is doing well. The pachypodium is prickly but there’s just the one stem, the ones I find difficult to handle are the branchy ones, like the euphorbias.

That’s it for me tonight,

Pics 1 and 2 - neo Gespacho (plant 1), pics 3 and 4 – neo Gespacho (plant 2)

Shirley

Thumbnail by works4me Thumbnail by works4me Thumbnail by works4me Thumbnail by works4me

Hi to all!!!
Hi Shirley,that great that y'alls days are starting to warm up.I know everyone is ready for Spring their.Today is a very nice day for us.We had a thunder storm yesterday and a cool front came with it.Very nice breeze outside and partly cloudy.Love the pics!!!Take care!!!
Waving to everyone!!!!
Cody

shellharbour, Australia

Hi everyone – I spent a good part of yesterday watering; everything was so dry after all of the wind and I'm sure the brom's were all smiling at me as I watered them. However it seems that the wind is back as it was blowing pretty well last night so I'm glad I left my “wind shutters” down on the shade shelter.

More work today at the museum as there are a lot of fallen tree branches over there as well so it looks like my old chain saw will get some exercise as well as myself today. We have to get everything nice and tidy as we are having the Tongarra Train Fest on 8th September 2013 as well as one of our old loco's which used to work at the Port Kembla Steelworks is having its 100th birthday, so we've planned a pretty big day.

Cody – I never had an MP3 player when I walked, just a stereo system but it was too heavy to carry so I just whistled instead. How's your “Strine” studies going? Didjabringabeeralong?

Sue – Come on Sue, riding the bike is cheating, why don't you jog along with the dogs?

For a good temperature conversion table go to http://www.temperatureworld.com/ctable1.htm

I have to agree with you Sue, I like 'Camelot' better than 'Gespacho' also, but you can still get some nice colour in 'Gespacho' when grown in good light.

I can understand the elks and stags being OK on the Styrofoam if they are just “buttons” (that's what we call small stag horn and elk horn ferns Cody) however the one I have to remount is quite large (abut 2 feet across). The backing board has rotted away and I was thinking of making a new one and was wondering if covering it with Styrofoam would be as good as a bit of old carpet like I usually use. The carpet just holds a bit of extra moisture which they seem to like but on the other hand, it may be what starts the timber rotting as well so maybe I'll try the styrofoam and see what happens.

I think the 20cm gap you speak of Sue could be due to using a mobile device as you say, maybe the site is set up for mainly PC use. Is it a Lap Top you're using or one of those other new fangled devices which I can't even remember the names of let alone use.

I just posted that link as an example, I haven't even looked past the first few myself, in fact I've never seen that many posted at the same time on any forum before. It seems like the bloke that posted them is giving a tour of his entire collection so I will have a look as you never know what new ideas we might see.

You've certainly done me proud with the 'Galactic Warrior' and it's certainly colouring up much better for you than I can get it to do down here. I love the Oncidium though; when I grew orchids almost all of the Oncidiums were yellow, although I did have one very small pale pink one but never any the colour of yours. We always mounted ours on blocks of Tree Fern fibre and they really grew well, but they were a bit of a pain to divide with the roots all tangled up through the fibre.

Jean – You're really copping a hammering with the cold weather aren't you? I think it's time you did what the birds do and fly north to the warmer weather for a couple of months, I'm sure someone in Northern NSW or Qld. could find some nice relaxing gardening for you to do to keep your hand in.

What you say about Bill.'Fosters Striate' is very true and when grown in the garden it makes up into a beautiful clump in no time and the flowers are really in a nice cluster as well, but as I said to Ian, they do seems to attract soft scale here where I live, but maybe it's too cold for the scale down where you live.

I don't know anything about a 'chantinii rose' but you certainly got it fr a good price. You said you trimmed the leaves to the size shown in the pic, but I'm not getting any pic, just the three pic's of orchids. (Don't tell me I've got the “Gremlins” back in my computer again). Anyway what I meant to say was, if you bought it from someone up north you'd better keep it inside in the warmth during the night until the cold weather has finished as I've found that anything with Chantinii in the breeding hates the cold.

I like the pic's of your orchids; I wish I'd had one the shape of the one in your pic 3 when I was growing them as that was just what the judges looked for, a nice saucer shape and clear colours.

It looks very similar to one that won many shows when I grew orchids which was called (I think) Cymbidium 'Balkis Louth'. My wife (to be) paid twenty pound for a green bulb for me for my 21st birthday and that was a lot of money in those days, but it wasn't wasted as I won the Novice Champion with it the following year (The one and only champion prize I've ever won), so thanks for the memories Jean.

Shirley – That link I posted was to the “Bromeliad Forum” http://www.bromeliadforum.za.net/forum/index.php
of which I have been a member since it was first started by a “break away group” from the Garden Web Forums. It is a much more user friendly site once you have used it for a while and like the Garden Web Forums has "oodles" of information, discussions and pictures. The link I posted showed 38 pic's of a garden belonging to a member and I must admit I still haven't looked at them all yet. Sue said she was able to access it from the link I posted but she may also be a member and maybe only members can open the link. You may have to register as a member to do this so try this link and if it still doesn't work let me know and I'll try and find out why.
http://www.bromeliadforum.za.net/forum/index.php?action=help;page=registering

The pic's of your plants of Neo. Gespacho/Gespachio (It's sometimes spelled either way) seem different again to Ian's and mine and all I can say is either it's a much more variable plant than I first suspected or some of our plants are wrongly named. I never would have thought there could be such a change between the pups and the adult plants. The plant I have usually presents as a pup very similar to the one in your first pic and the leaf pattern remains pretty much the same with just the colours altering as the plant matures but it certainly doesn't finish up like the adult plant you have posted. I especially like the plant in your last pic but I do have my doubts if it is 'Gespacho', but then I could be wrong, as I often am. Anyway I'd still like you to put me down for a pup please, if and when you get one. This is proving to be an interesting investigation and it could be more so if some other members would post pic's of their Gespacho plants also, so come on people, don't be shy!

A few more random pic's to finish with today Pic.1 show my wind shutters in the down position and Pic.2 shows the when opened. Pic.3 and 4 show the partly finished bench in the converted vegie garden and Pic.5 shows a few more of the hanging plants in the open area between the two shade houses. When I say open, it's the north wall I'm talking about; it still has the beige shade cloth on the roof.

All the best, Nev.

north coast nsw, Australia

hi. ive been getting messages from other overseas members on this site but on other forums saying there all moving over to the All Things plants site, seems like DG is innoying them. I want to stay though for all the other Aussies here.
Sue- we use to go to Ulmarra pub, then went to Brushgrove but now we go to the Maclean RSL awsome food and good priced.
But the best pubs are the clocktower in Grafton or Glenreaghs goldendog. Both cheap with massive yummy meals. Yeah yeah i know i just drive around eating. hehe!
1. Camelot and 2. heres my Gespacho look the same. 3. Big Mac 4. heres my Braz-el

This message was edited Aug 14, 2013 4:50 PM

Thumbnail by breeindy Thumbnail by breeindy Thumbnail by breeindy Thumbnail by breeindy
Coffs Harbour, Australia

good morning, well, it must be the mobile device (Yes Nev, a new fangled gadget called a 'tablet') as I am now on the laptop and all appears normal. My only gripe in using the laptop, is that resizing the photos for posting is a longer process, due to the different programme I have.
Anyway, Jean, gorgeous orchids. I have no luck with Cymbids at all. I've tried ignorance, and I've tried nurture and all things in between, so I have come full circle and am back at ignorance. The Dendrobiums are probably my favourite as an easy care orchid. They just thrive on a good position and a little bit of fert!
Nev is not the only one who can't see your 'Chantinii Rose' So its not gremlins, maybe old age? heh heh. a senior moment.
Shirley, my Neo. 'Gespacho' looked alot like yours, from memory. It had the yellow bands as a youngster, but lost them when it matured. I will have to go on a mision to see if I can find it. LAst seen it was in the garden with the other 'dogs'. Mind you, it was an Ebay purchase made some years ago, and could be wrongly named.
I'm glad the storm missed you. I can understand the sinus also, as we have got the wattle pollen and bushfire smoke wafting around here too. I get a little bit sniffly, but not too bad. I guess its keeping you indoors?
Cody, nice to hear you have had a little respite from the heat. It sounds horrendous that people can die from it! About the hottest we've had here was 40 celcius, but that was for one or two days, and then only about every four years. The humidity makes it seem hotter, which might be what your heat index is based on?
Nev, on our caravan trip earlier this year, we stopped in at the Thirlmere train museum. It is huge! My Dad was also a keen trainspotter, and I recall many times where we'd stop the car, pull out the campchairs and wait for a particular train to come past, so he could take photos. groan! As a kid it was the most boring thing in the world to me! heh heh. Funny, because i don't mind them now, and let hubby browse for a coupe of hours at Thirlmere.
I would think that covering the timber with styrofoam would help to preserve the timber. I hadn't heard the term 'Buttons' as applied to stag/elkhorns, but it describes them beautifully.
I am a member of the brom and airplant forum, so when I went to look at the link, I was automatically logged in, which is weird, as I haven't been on for at least a year, and not using the tablet, so how did it know it was me? I can't even remember my password, so I have saved that link now, so I can go check it out another time. I looked at a few of the photos, and it was typical of the ingenious ways we bromelia-holics can make use of smaller spaces!
Your shade house shutters look good when opened or closed. Have you noticed the difference in the appearance of the plants after strong winds?
Hi Bree, I haven't heard of that site, but a while ago, alot of people were leaving here to go to Cubit. I had a look, but can't spread my time between so many forums, and there are alot! As long as the people here are still posting, I am happy with Daves Garden.
We do alot of driving around and eating too! heh heh. Yes, the 'Golden Dog' (or 'Big Alpaca' as we now call it) has great meals...HUGE! We went to the Lawrence pub a couple of weeks ago and that was good, aslo been to Brushgrove, and the bottom pub at Maclean awhile ago. We might try the coaching station at Nymboida one of these days. A local cafe, called Kookaburra, used to be the best for sunday breakfast, but it is in decline as the business is up for sale, due to a relationship drama apparently, so thats quite dissappointing.
Your Neo 'Big Mac' is looking awesome.
Well peoples, I am out of time so I can't get any photos on for you this morning, but I MIGHT be able to get back to you this afternoon with a few.
Till then, or next time
Sue

Hi all I did some culling yesterday and not much else except for transplanting about 300 seedlings. I think there were 14 trays of culls. I got some room to start again.
Sue my Ae Gigantea has changed into Ae Pink Panther, well the label has anyway as per information from another site. Neo compacta seems to be a very variable sized plant and colours up when it is ready whether in the shade or full sun. Neo macwilliamsii seems a bigger plant as you say and when it colours up it has spots of a yellowish colour in the red.
I have added pics of both, the first 3 are of compacta and the second pic has pollen dust over the plant that can give an illusion of spots in the red centre. Pic 4 Is Neo macwilliamsii close up showing the spots and Pic 5 shows the single plant that I have. It is about 14" or350mm wide. Thanks for the pic of Ae kertezsiae. It matches with my single plant and looks like my daughters clump , from memory.
Jean I wish I could grow Cymbidiums here but alas it is too hot and they won't set flower, so all I get is a green plant. Phalenopsis do better. I like your pics. What happened to Chantini rose.
Cody I did a bit of culling and potting yesterday and not much else. More of both to do today.
Where is the Mason Dixon line. The people south of it were Yankees and the northerners were The Confederates. I am just curious. Here is a hug a smile and a wave for you today.
Shirley the prickly ones I don't like are the prickly pear family, with their clusters of very fine prickles. I used to have Teddy bear and I think that I have eventually lost it.
Nev nah I drank it along the way but Ididkickthetinalong. I only go up to about 8" on styrafoam sheet with my elks. I have another Gespachio here somewhere, I'll try to find it today. It got badly burned last year along with a few others. My shadecloth ought to arrive today or tomorrow (tomorra) and then I can protect some more of my plants. One big surprise at the moment is a Ae chiante Jean that is out in full sun is not burned, it is being bleached though. My Ae manzanaresiana has burn marks. It is sitting on a shelf open to the North but with70% shadecloth over the top. This is another area that I will have to do something about.
Bree good onya for stayin. Camelot is a beautiful plant. Mine is different, it got burnt. Yours gives me something to look forward to as it comes back.
Have a good one
Ian
Pics 1,2,3 Neo compacta.
Pics4,5 Neo macwilliamsii.

Thumbnail by ianperry Thumbnail by ianperry Thumbnail by ianperry Thumbnail by ianperry Thumbnail by ianperry

Nev,lol!!! you crack me up laughing.No i didn't drink a beer.I don't drink stuff like that.Love the pics!!!Take care!!!

Sue,it was nice today,but it did get alittle hot this evening.Yes the heat here if its to hot can cause heat strokes.The heat can get pretty hot here.Love the pics!!!Take care!!!

Cody

Ian,good morning!! The Mason Dixon line is going towards Virgina and Maryland.Ian you have it backwards.Northerns are Yankees and the South is the Confederates.Glad that you got some potting and stuff done.Thanks for the hug,smile and the wave.I am sending you back a hug,smile and waving back as well.Love the pics!!!Take care!!!Have a great day!!!

Cody

This message was edited Aug 14, 2013 8:42 PM

I am calling it a night everyone!!!
Good day to you all!!!
Goodnight!!!

Cody

Coffs Harbour, Australia

Ian, I am proud of you for achieving those culls! I don't know that I could be as strong? I'm glad you have a name for A. 'Pink Panther' as it is a beauty. like I said, put me on the list! I would put you on the list for A. gigantea, but it could be a looooong wait?
The sun is stll at low height here, so still quite mild for the plants, but it wont be long before it is higher in the sky and will beat down and burn things. I will have to keep my mind on the job and make sure I move broms acordingly.
Windy here today, and watering is the job for tomorrow, as well as mulching a bit of garden, and maybe some potting up of tube stock? We will see how it goes. I did a good 2-3 hours of housework this afternoon, and realised the place is due for a spring clean! Luckily spring is almost here, so it can wait.
Hi Cody, glad you had some nice weather. Good morning, good afternoon and goodnight!
Now for some photos
Photo one is Billbergia 'Las Manchas' in flower.
Photo two is Coelogyne cristata, a trade plant from wayne Carter
Photo three is Lidisia Discolour (orchid)
Photo four is Guzmania 'White Grapeade' in the garden
photo five is one from Nev, labelled as one the Bower birds had taken the label from. Obviously an Aechmea gamosepala hybrid. Its quite small.
well, thats the photos I promised. i will have to take more tomorrow!
Sue

Thumbnail by weed_woman Thumbnail by weed_woman Thumbnail by weed_woman Thumbnail by weed_woman Thumbnail by weed_woman

Hi All just a quick one tonight and a few pics.
Sue I culled some more today as I realise that I only have so much room. I still have more to cull later but I will let them grow a bit more first. These culls are straight from take away containers. Some of the potted ones will go outside into the mini hothouse reserved for seedlings and grasses. I want to take a couple of grasses of Vr glutinosa and Galaxy. Some on Galaxy are verigated and some are not yet, maybe they are still too small or will never verigate. Time will tell. I will put a tag with your name on Pink Panther. I hope you have a prescription for that tablet.
Cody Thanks for correcting my thinking that the Southerners were Yankees. I do live down under and am human, so I will make mistakes. Have a good one. Here is a hug a smile and a wave.
Ian
Pic 1 Aechmea and Portea seedlings 14 months old
Pic 2 Aechmea seedlings colouring up 14 months old
Pic 3 Neo Birdrock
Pic 4 Neo Caroline
Pic 5 Neo Justons Song

Hi to all!!!
Hi Sue,thanks!!Love your pics!!Take care and goodnight your way!!!

Ian,you are very welcome.Ian,its ok if you made a mistake.Even though you live down under,you know stuff about our history,but you only had it backwards.For someone that lives in Aussie,i say you did pretty good knowing about our history.I am proud of you for knowing about that.Thanks for the hug,smile and a wave.I am sending you back a hug,smile and waving back too you as well.Love the pics!!!Take care!!!Sleep well Ian!!!!Goodnight!!!
Cody

shellharbour, Australia

Hi everyone – I didn't get any work done at home yesterday but we did get a lot of mess cleaned up at the museum. Brom wise, I've been able to arrange for all of the charcoal left when the loco fireboxes are cleaned out at the end of each running day to be tipped in a particular area where I have easy access. I will then be able to bag it up and distribute among my brom growing friends who use it in their mixes instead of them needing to pay through the nose for a tiny bag full at Bunnings.

Breeindy – It's about time you paid us a visit again Bree; seems like you've been spending all of your time travelling around sampling all of the great pub tucker. Now you've gone and made me hungry.

Sue – When I had orchids years ago I was told by Leo Giles (who was the internationally known owner of “Wondabah Orchids” at Pennant Hills) to just concentrate on the genera that I knew I could grow. He said that no man could grow them all without a ten thousand pound automated glasshouse that could duplicate all the different required growing conditions, and to try would just break your heart and kill otherwise good plants. So it seems you had better leave the Cymbid's alone and just concentrate on the Dendrobe's and Oncidiums.

Pleased to hear you can't see the Ae. 'Chantini Rose' pic either; it seems I've been blaming my computer when it's not at fault after all.

Thirlmere Museum is gigantic compared to our little set up, but then the Govt. put millions of dollars into it as it used to be the Rail Transport Museum. It also differs to ours in that it's all standard gauge main line stuff 4' 81/2 ”. Ours was just started by a small group of volunteers and gets no financial support from the council or the government and is all light railway stuff 2'0” gauge. About the only place using this gauge know is the cane fields of Queensland.

You have me inquisitive now about those pic's and I'll have to have a look. You say it's a while since you've been on that site, and you can say that again as the name has been changed for at least two years now from the “Bromeliad and Air Plant Forum” to the “Bromeliad Forum” so apparently once you become a member you're always a member unless you cancel your membership.

It sounds like you and Bree should get together and do a “pub crawl” if only to try and eat all the great pub food. I wish I could come with you as I always enjoy a good meal and I've got a good size belly to prove it.

Ian - I take my hat off to you when I read about the culling you've just done. I always find culling the most difficult part of growing seedlings and it needs a firm hand and a cold heart to go through with it. I find it just so difficult to toss beautiful healthy little plants just because I don't have the space to grow them on; but then the consequences of not culling is overcrowding which causes you to lose plants due to disease anyway so really it's a lose lose situation. Nevertheless I just can't help wondering if I'm tossing out a future champion or not, as I firmly believe you can't foresee what a plant will really be like and see it's true attributes until it is grown out and matures; in fact I've found since I've been dabbling with seedlings that the true form of a plant isn't really apparent until you grow out the initial pup.

I read with interest what you say about Neo's Macwilliamsii and Compacta. I (supposedly) have both plants although to be honest I can't see a lot of difference in them size wise, the (so called) Macwilliamsii has a sort of darker banding where the red and the green colours on the leaf meet (more like what is shown in your second pic of Compacta). To be honest I've never looked that closely at the centre of the plants and noticed any fine spotting but you can be sure I'll be going around my plants today to see what I can find. Most of the plants I've accumulated over the years are supposed to be Compacta and I didn't know about Macwilliamsii until I once saw it on eBay so I bought two plants, unfortunately when they arrived they were filthy with Fyspeck Scale. After several months and lots of cleaning and dipping, I eventually got rid of the scale only to find that these plants still looked the same as what I had always been led to believe were Neo. Compacta. Your mention of the fine spotting over the red colour gives me another avenue of identification, and when looking at the (not very good pic's) on the FCBS, I have found that the second pic of the Macwilliamsii supports what you are saying about the fine spotting also. The fact that something could be so obvious and I've never noticed it seems to me to indicate that all of my plants are Compacta and I don't have Macwilliamsii after all, but as soon as the sun comes up I'll know for sure.

Ian the reason you don't do well with Cymbidiums in your area is the fact that the larger flowered hybrids (and this is what we mainly have here) are derived from species that originally grow at higher colder altitudes. There are three Australian native species though which although miniature, should do very well in your area. There is Cymb. suave, Cymb. Madidum and Cym. canaliculatum which is probably the most interesting of the three because it ranges in colour from spotted, right through to the most intense dark purple that it appears to be black (Cym. canaliculatum var. sparksii) often called by the common name of the "Black Orchid”. To see pic's go to the sit below:
http://www.google.com.au/search?q=Cym+canaliculatum&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=DjwNUvXgJs3tiAeRwIG4Bg&ved=0CCoQsAQ&biw=1024&bih=605

Bugger! You've got me back talking about orchids again, sorry about that. That's surprising about your Ae. Chianti 'Jean' as I've always thought it would be a tender sort of plant and because of its burgundy coloured leaves I've always grown mine in the shade house on the southern, shady side of the house with the Guzmanias and the Vrieseas. It's great plant to grow though as it has beautiful shiny burgundy coloured foliage and is a prolific grower and flowerer (I must have about twenty or more plants all hanging in a row).

Incidently, some of you might remember me telling of the Spotted Honey Eaters that nested in a hanging flower pot in the Vriesea shade house last year; well they are back again and are re-building the old nest in the same pot which I now have hanging between some Ae. Chianti and Ae. Mirlo plants and I'll keep you informed of the progress and with progressive pic's I hope.

Cody – Hi to you and Alex away over there in the US which is in darkness as I write this. The sun is just coming up here and it's a bit overcast with the chance of a bit of rain here....sleep tight!

Sue – It seems you're determined to keep me yapping on about orchids; I can't help but admire your pic of Coelogyne Christata its a beautiful species and one of my all time favourites. I'll never forget the enormous specimen plant I saw at the 6th World Orchid Conference which was held in Sydney. It was about four feet across and must have had about 500 flowers, and it's truly amazing how big these can be grown to, and the amount of flowers it's possible to get on some of the large ones. I know it's hard to comprehend but if you go to the site below you will see an example of just the type of size I'm talking about in the picture at top right.

http://www.google.com.au/search?q=coelogyne+cristata+images&hl=en&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=qkQNUrHmJo2iiAeJpoGABA&ved=0CC0QsAQ&biw=1024&bih=605

I don't know if you're aware of it or not, but there are a hundred or more different coelogyne species and to see a sample go to: http://www.pbase.com/glazemaker/coelogyne

I recognise the seedling in the last pic as it was from a cross I did of Ae Nudicaulis x Gamosepala. I did it just out of curiosity and was surprised at what came out of it. All of the plants I have seen so far have been more compact that usual Ae. gamosepala and some, (like yours) have the typical gamosepala coloured flowers, but they do range in colours which was a nice surprise. Although nothing spectacular, it seems like some of the brom growers like them as they all sold as quick as they hit the sales table at the last meeting., One thing they haven't shown yet, is the distinguishing thumb imprint at the leaf base like true Ae. Nudicaulis plants have.

Ian – Your seedlings are looking great and it seems you are determined to remind me that I must get into my culling and finally get it over and done with.

Time to go again and the first three of today's pic's are more of the plants hanging in the open area between the shade houses and the last two show some of my more advanced seedlings.

All the best, Nev.

Nev,good morning to you!!! It is not night time here yet.We still have 3 and 12 hours until it gets dark it.It is only 5:13 p.m. here now in the evening.Alex is visiting his dad,its that time again.So its just me for 5 days.Love the pics!!Take care!!!

Nev,thanks for the sleep tight!!!
Good day to all!!!
Cody

This message was edited Aug 15, 2013 7:40 PM

This message was edited Aug 15, 2013 10:13 PM

Nev,i just took this pic.

Thumbnail by
Merino, Australia

Hello everyone.
Its blowing a gale outside. Yesterday was a beautiful day. I wonder where it came from after the wild weather of the past week and now back to it again.
The wind was gone yesterday and the sun was out all day and quite warm.
It was shopping day so lovely to not have the wind & rain.

I was looking at a few plants in Mitre10 and again I see that theya re all just labelled as bromeliad ot zygocactus. No cultivar names.
We are going over to Mt Gambier next week so I will be looking in Bunnings and the large Masters garden area.
Hopefully I will find some nice plants .
I will also get a bag of the orchid mix there as they have the one that is just bark.
I mix it in with the usual mix I buy from Mitre10.

I am sorry for the confusion about the pic of my aechmea chantinii rose. I had it on an earlier post and forgot to mention that.
I will add it again here so you can see it.
Looking up all the chantinii cultivars, I see no resemblance to any of them .
My plant is most likely misnamed, but I liked the stripes and hoped it had some chantinii in it .
At only $4 for two large plants with a tiny pup on one, it was a bargain anyway.

The leaves were very long and lax, at least 18"long . Most were badly bent from posting so I cut them down . I see no sign of striping on the upper surface but there are some very pale spots,
The underside is striped as you see in the pics. The darker stripes are not quite as brown as the camera shows .
If it has any chantinii in it , there is no sign of it on the upper leaves. I will have to wait for a flower to get some idea of what it really is.
The shape resembles a tall bill like Hallelujah or Gerda.

I have some good news on the seed front. My seeds are swelling and looking green. Its fun to watch them and I look like getting quite a lot .
I see myself like Ian , in having to cull as they grow. I have 7 lots coming on and 2 more lots to plant.
There will be a mass of vrieseas next year.

I have both neo Gazpacho and neo Camelot here, but they are still pups. I will put them here anyway as you are all more familiar with what the pups should look like.

Sue I have a few dendrobiums here too. They do well and I really must divide the largest one again.

Hello to everyone else. I have to get outside and water in the greenhouse.
A few repairs to be done to the greenhouse as the wind has been blowing it around so much , some of the seams are starting to open. I usually get out with a large darning needle and fishing line for repairs.
I need to buy a new one. Have to see what they cost now on eBay
My originals were only around $100 each quite a few years ago.
They are only plastic, but do a great job.

pics 1&2 ..the two plants of aech chantinii rose ???

pic 3.. neo Gazpacho

pic 4...neo Camelot

Enjoy your gardens.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset Thumbnail by 77sunset Thumbnail by 77sunset Thumbnail by 77sunset

It is now 7:30 in the evening.I just took this pic.The sun is going down.

Thumbnail by

I am calling it a night!!!
Sue and Nev,thanks for the goodnight!!!
Good day to all!!!
Goodnight to all as well!!!

Cody

Hi all, It has been a good day weather wise and I have been expecting my shadecloth to be delivered today. Didn't happen and there is nothing that I can do about it until Monday after work. I finish before my supplier(Fernlands). I think the trouble would be with the courier here.
Nev I had to cull those seedlings as they were overcrowded, so I took what I hope I could look after and toss the rest.98% would have been better than what I kept, maybe or maybe not. Anyway there gone.Culling is a necessary part of life. We used to do so with the sheep when I was a kid and I guess it reminds me of youth and farm days. There are some broms I just won't try here because their natural habitat is too diferent from mine. Also from locals experimentation and failures. If I had more time I could possibly look after more.Maybe in the future. That Chianti Jean is still in full sun from sunrise to about 4.00 pm and is in the NE corner of the garden. It's glossy leaves are dull and it is a discolour that supposedly cannot take the cold. It will burn, that is for sure but when.

Jean, I like the look of your Chantini Rose. If it doesn't gain stripes on the upper side of the leaves just hang it at eye level to take advantage of the stripes you can see. It is possible that it has been overfertilised or grown in low light. Keep up the seed growing and get good culling habits early and it will never be a problem.

Cody Ised to have a game, I've forgotten it's name but in it I had to place all the states in their correct positions. I think it was a drag the name and drop into the correct position. If it was incorrect the name would go back to the list. There was a time limit on it. After a while I could beat the clock, but that was a few years ago. I have also learned a bit of USA history over the years, a lot from TV and the movies.I also have a few online friends there as well.
Here is a hug a smile and a wave.
Have a good one all.Ian
Pic 1 Neo Lime and Lava
Pic 2 Neo Lime Fizz
Pic 3 Neo Gold Dazzler (finish the painting Nev)
Pic 4 Neo Birdrock
Pic 5 Neo Caroline.

Brisbane, Australia

Hi all,

Nev, initially when I followed your link to the Bromeliad Forum home page, it would not allow me to register and kept coming up with an error message saying registration was not available. Tonight it allowed me to complete the registration fields but then repeatedly came up with ‘an error has occurred’ when I clicked on the register button. I’ll try again tomorrow.

Nev, what is the lovely big neo to the right of the middle of your pic 3 posted on 14/8, please ... looks to have neo concentrica in the breeding.

Sue, as long as the weather permits, I can’t wait to get outdoors, even if I’m not feeling great. Staying indoors makes it worse … it’s depressing … I can see how much housework I need to catch up on ... and don't want to do.

Ian, I don’t care for the cacti types with fine prickles either, at least you can see the big ones. Love your pics.

Jean, I think your plant in pics 1 & 2 looks like Chantinii, maybe shade grown though. Sorry your weather has turned crappy again, at least you got one nice day.

Hi to Cody, Bree, Trish, Therese, OMG another earthquake, hope you escaped any damage.

Pic 1 – Neo Great White, pic 2 – neo Puppy Love, pic 3 - Vr Fosteriana hybrid ?

Have a good weekend ... bye for now,

Shirley

Thumbnail by works4me Thumbnail by works4me Thumbnail by works4me

Hi to all!!!
Ian,that is great that you learn about USA history.Its also great that you have online friends from the US.Thanks for the hug,smile and wave.I am sending you back a hug,smle and waving back to you.Love the pics!!!Take care!!

Hi Shirley,love the pics!!!Take care!!!

Waving to everyone!!!
Cody

Here is a pic i just took now at 9:40 a.m.here in the morning.Some of the horses of the farm on this road is in the pic.

Cody

Thumbnail by
shellharbour, Australia

Hi everyone – I got a bit of tidying up and sorting out of plants done yesterday as well as picking out what plants I'll be taking to the show to sell. I've been trying to come up with an idea for a table top display instead of the usual one showing the life of a Neoregelia starting from a seed and going through the various stages until maturity. I was thinking of something along the lines of showing various ways these plants can be grown, such as in different types of pots, various types of baskets mounted on bits of branches or old timber or even mounted on old paling off-cuts (Tillandsia). Also show examples of the different types of materials that can be used in potting mixes.

I probably won't get a lot done today as we have two of our grandsons who had a “sleep over” last night and the third will be coming to visit this morning also, so I expect the secret track up the back of the brom's in the northern shade house will get a bit of a workout as they search for imaginary lions and tigers and other wild animals.

Cody – I know you're not very happy when Alex goes to see his Dad and you are without him, but just think at least he does have two parents who love him very much which is more than a lot of children have, so don't worry and avagoodweekend.

Jean – Gee you must have really done something to upset the “Weather Gods” as they're throwing everything they possibly can at you and your brom's. At last the weather seems to have taken a turn for the better here and we've had two nice sunny days in a row without the wind.

Regarding your Ae. Chantinii Rose where you say you see no resemblance to any of the other Ae Chantinii cultivars, do you think there is any chance it may be a Billbergia? I remember I was at a grower's place a year or so back and he had a plant which I commented on that I was surprised that he could grow and Ae. Chantinii in this area and he just laughed and said, “that's because it's a Billbergia brasiliensis”. The plant he had was very similar to yours with the same very prominent banding and if you look at centre top pic's on the FCBS Photo Index, you will see what I mean. If you also look carefully at the first pic you will see that has no markings on the upper surface of the leaves either.

It's good to hear your seeds are starting to swell. Just wait until the weather starts to warm up and spring arrives, then you really will see some progress.

Thanks for posting the pic of your Gespacho pup, I'm saving them all in the one folder and then I can look at the thumb pic's of them all at the same time and see the variations.

Speaking of Dendrobiums, my old mate of many years who passed away recently had a wonderful collection of Dendrobiums and seeing that the topic of orchids has come up again I'll see if I can find some of the pic's I took of his plants the last time I saw him, shortly before he passed away.

As for repairing shade cloth, I have what I would describe as a smallish “bagging needle” it's a similar shape to a bagging needle with the curved pointy end but not quite as long and it's ideal for these type of repairs. I think I saw it in a little sewing kit in a $2 shop when I was having a bit of a “sticky beak” one day and I bought the kit just for it and gave the cottons and other needles to my wife for the sewing basket. Your needles must have been made of platinum at one hundred dollars each????

Ian – It must be frustrating for you while you wait for your shade cloth, all raring to go and no shade cloth to work with; never mind it will turn up and then you can get stuck into it and just watch your brom's start to smile.

I understand everything you say about the culling process and I totally agree that is necessary, but it still doesn't make it any easier for me.

Your first three pic's all seem to have the streaky type marks of a paint brush left on the leaves don't they? Although I haven't head of Neo 'Lime Fizz' before, there is also a Neo.'Lime Light' which is a Grace Goode hybrid and is the palest of lime in colour and almost white in the centre; a most unusual coloured plant. It is a good example of just what genetic mix in a breeding line can do as both of its parents are Neo.'Pink Plum' and a totally different colour.
See: http://botu07.bio.uu.nl/bcg/bcr/index.php?genus=NEOREGELIA&id=5421#5421

Shirley – Keep trying with registering on the Bromeliad Forum as it will be well worth it in the end. If of course you still can't get on, let me know and I'll email someone and find out what's going on and how it can be overcome. A thought just came to me, did you at any time have to put in your post code? I know I had problems joining one of the forums as it wouldn't accept my four digit post code as American post codes are five digits. All I did to overcome this was add a zero before the first number and “BINGO” it was accepted.

That's my plant of Neo.'Catlan's Leopard' which I got as a pup from a very generous friend called Jen. Unfortunately I didn't grow it in quite enough light to get the colour just right but I'll know better next time. You're quite right about the Neo. concentrica being in the breeding as it is a selfing of a select clone of Neo. concentrica.
See: http://botu07.bio.uu.nl/bcg/bcr/index.php?genus=NEOREGELIA&id=10038#10038

Wow! look at the teeth on that plant in your fist pic., very aptly named Neo.'Great White'. Is the Neo. 'Puppy Love' a small plant? I like it's nice compact form, and the colouring in you Vr. fosteriana hybrid is probably the richest I've seen so far. Although Vr. fosteriana has been around for years and years, the hybrids being bred from it just keep getting better and better; it's just one of those timeless excellent parents just like concentrica is among the Neo's.

I'll finish up today with a few Aechmeas that are in flower at present. Pic's 1, 2 and 3 are from hybrids I made from an Ae Racinae x Caudata crossing. They all had a similar type inflorescences but the flower colours were all different. Pic. 4 is Ae Cylindrata with the flower head just starting to poke up out of a large clump. Following our discussion about Neo compacta, I though you might like to see a large clump of this plant and just what it's capable off. This tree is about six feet or more in diameter and the Neo.compacta was completely encircling it. It's amost to the top of the tree where a Philodendron is taking over. This is outside the entrance of “Paranella Park” inland from Cairns in Quensland, a truly amazing place which reminded me of “Raiders of the Lost Ark” and if you haven't been there and ever get the opportunity, don't miss it as it just shows what one very determined man can achieve. See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paronella_Park

All the best, Nev.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.