NE Pets Forum #27

Durhamville, NY(Zone 5b)

We're over 300 and it's time to start a new thread. This picture is of Bear a couple of years ago. I want to put a picture of our new grey kitty up but don't have a camera anymore.

we came from here
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1303322/

Thumbnail by Doug9345
Fairfield County, CT(Zone 6b)

Sampson Thunderpaws (Maine Coon) is getting a Mohawk hair cut today. I'm afraid that the cat sitter won't leave windows open while I am gone and the house is like an oven. He should be much cooler with only half his hair! LOL!

Durhamville, NY(Zone 5b)

Boy is he going to be mad at you.

Thomaston, CT

We would have Pip, our half Coon, shaved in the summer......he pretty much hated it!

Actually he doesn't seem to mind the shaving afterwards. He was so grumpy at the Vets that they had to knock him out. He has been shaved several times and this is the first time he hasn't been cooperative.

He just hasn't quite been his "gentle giant" self after his I131 for Hyperthyroid. I had them draw blood and I should hear back on it today and we will see if there is another reason for his grumpies. He and Wallingford are not always best buddies and I was surprised to see Wally laying nearer than usual to Sampson and watching him quietly. Guess he knew Sampson was a bit off from the anesthetic and was offering him comfort. That cat (Wallingford) is a constant source of aggrevation and entertainment! Would hate to try and live without him!

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Brought tears to my eyes

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10201111563618614

Thomaston, CT

Memory, hope all is well with Sampson! Jen, I couldn't open article, but it looks like it was an awful life for the beagles...:>(

Mr G. still is not right. Mom came home from work a big whopping 2.4 hours and he's shaking like a leaf. 6 hours later still not acting right.

All meds in him. no running or jumping? I am getting Heart Broke. Not a sentimental person but this rings my heart.

Thumbnail by

FM - at 4 years old he just cried to get up on his feet

Sherrie - it could be a reaction from the pain meds. Some of them are problems. You could post over on the Pets forum and get some good advice as I don't know much about dogs.

There is a canine injectable glucosamine drug that I give my arthritic cat that sometimes does wonders for joint pain. The drug is Adequan, ask your Vet about it as is takes a Rx to buy it.

I really worry that he is having a reaction to the pain med - the injury should not be that painful.

(Ronnie), PA(Zone 6b)

Oh Sherrie I hope Mr. G is okay (((♥)))

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

:( hope he's ok

Thomaston, CT

Praying for that sweet boy!

Durhamville, NY(Zone 5b)

Sherrie I'm sorry about Mr. G. I wonder if part of his issue is just plain exhaustion. If it hurts every time he moves he might not be sleeping more than a few minutes at a time.

Is he sleeping on the floor or does he have a bed that he uses?

Lexington, MA(Zone 6a)

I hope the vet can give a phone consult with advice for Mr. G. So sorry you and Mr. G are having such a rough time.

The ligament in his knee will never heal complete. It is PARTICIALLY torn. If he Pulls it completely he will need surgery & pins. I don't have the money for that. The meds I got at the vet was 75 bucks and will go about 2 weeks. I can get it cheaper online for about 40.

Still scared & decisions. Not sentimental but to take this dog away from me is a very very scary moment. I love this dog to death. Now I am gonna cry.

Thomaston, CT

Oh, Sherrie....I feel terrible....I had to have one of my airedales operated on for a torn ligament...it was expensive, she was 10, but I did it anyway....if you have to do it, there's a Care Card you can get at the vet's, & pay a little at a time.

Its not totally torn, NO RUNNING OR JUMPING for 2-4 weeks. Then the other muscles or what ever will take up for it.

It just cant get torn and he is a pussy for pain. Mom is a bigger pussy and I say that for feeling for him. He is a big lovie and I am his mom. Doing the best I can.

Thomaston, CT

I know you are, Sherrie, & he is a lovely boy!

Durhamville, NY(Zone 5b)

There must be a rule that says a pet must get sick or hurt itself on a Friday afternoon just after the vet closes. The vet I see normally has some Saturaday hours and two vets, but one is on vacation and the other one works Tuesday through Saturday.

So Friday noontime i notice that Harry the tan cat has a lump on the side of his head. I take the first appointment I can get which is was Wednesday. Sunday the lump gets a lot bigger. I happy and concerned at the say time. Happy because of it feeling soft and the fact that is got big so fast means it's not likely cancer, concerned because the longer an infection goes the longer it takes to cure.

I take a shot at getting some tetracycline in him, ut it was a not go. Cats aren't going to eat anything that tastes "funny."

Monday I call the vet to see If I can get squeezed in somewhere, but no vet. The receptionist tells me to call the first thing today. Before I could call they called me.

They drew a cc and a half of puss out gave him and injection of an antibiotic that is supposed to last two weeks. Yea, not try to give pills to a cat. Harry also got an injection of a steroid to reduce the inflammation. A $128 dollars latter I think he's going to be OK. He was real laid back about they whole thing, but you could tell he was real happy to have some of the pressure of it.

It cost less that I figured. I thought most likely it was going to be $200.

(Ronnie), PA(Zone 6b)

Wow Doug I hope Harry is okay!

Doug - Too bad you don't live closer to CT as I have a Cats only Vet who is open until 8 at night and until 6 on Saturdays.

The thing with abcesses is to keep them open and running and sometimes you can avoid the Vet. Hot compresses help to keep the wound from healing from the outside in, which is the last thing you want to happen. Not every cat is happy to have a painful lump expressed and a hot, wet cloth help against their wound. However, a really good treat seems to help the whole process. Wishing Harry a speedy, uneventful recovery.

Memory

Thomaston, CT

Yes, hoping Harry is soon fine! Suey had a treatment today, the one where she is given Lazix to empty her bladder.......4 stops on the way home, but she's fine now.....

Durhamville, NY(Zone 5b)

Thanks. Harry just ate a half a can of cat food which is more than he's eaten in the last 3 days. His face is still very swollen, but he acts like he feels better.

Lexington, MA(Zone 6a)

Veterinary medicine is amazing. Glad Harry and Suey are OK.

We always ask our vet if she'll treat humans, especially when we see that dogs get Lyme disease shots, and they aren't considered medically safe or effective for humans.

Durhamville, NY(Zone 5b)

Harry seems to be acting better. The lump is really ugly looking and I think it is just a tad smaller. Last night was the first time in a few days I've heard him do his gruff meow which means he wants me to do something for him right now. In that case it was pick him up and hold him.

On another front I took the newest gray cat in to get him fixed. That's when I found out he was a she. It was given us as a male and I never paid attention. They say it happens aout one out of 3 times.

Doug - I had two, fluffy strays that I fed for years as "shes", until I made the Vet look - and both were "hes". (I wasn't plowing through all that fluff to check!)

I hot compress against the lump will help it heal faster.

Thomaston, CT

Sounds like Harry's on the right track......we got our half Maine Coon, Pip, because he was given to my stepson as a 'she'......he was a love.

Hate Mosquito's? I am now a FIRM believer in the CITROSA Plant. Easy Care & not only those biting Skeets. I recommend this for outdoors for humans & pets. Cut a leaf off & rub it on your pet & 1 on yourself. It might smell a tad funny like a lemon but it keeps those nasty biting things away.

Not one for oh I need that. I really think it is a repellant.

Thumbnail by
Thomaston, CT

Wow...thanks, Sherrie....sounds like something I need! Sick of spraying chemicals all over me every day!

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6AGqsZICYLA&feature=youtu.be

too cute!!!!!!!!!!!

(Ronnie), PA(Zone 6b)

That was great!!!

Thomaston, CT

Oh, Lord, I need a puppy! Too cute.....my Irish wolfie was never able to do the inside stairs, only outside stairs.....

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

I love the 2 that slid down on their bellies

Thomaston, CT

They were all precious!

Lexington, MA(Zone 6a)

Puppies are sure cute. Tails wagging as they slid.

Mr. G is doing good so far. In my eyes & heart if they eat, drink, and be happy wagging their tail all is OK. Mr G. is doing all of them.

I felt "throw up kinda of sick" when his leg was hurting him. So far, So good. :-)

And he is in Jail. No running or jumping probably for the rest of his life. Well he will be able to trot and run but no 20 Miles Per Hour stuff.

This message was edited Aug 12, 2013 6:43 PM

(Ronnie), PA(Zone 6b)

That's good to hear Sherrie!

Thank you Ronnie. I know you have been going through hard Pet mishaps also. We as proud Pet owners take this serious. They are part and always will be part of the family.

(Ronnie), PA(Zone 6b)

They sure are!!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.