Heavenly Blue Morning Glory Help

(Zone 7a)

Hi,
I have several I've grown from seeds this year. The plants are huge and vigorous...but not one bloom on any of the plants. Is this normal or does it require something I don't know about to flower? Any help...Thanks

This message was edited Jul 30, 2013 7:38 AM

Thumbnail by Kim_M
(Ronnie), PA(Zone 6b)

Kim whenever I grew them they were always later than my others, sometimes not until the beginning of September. They are worth the wait though, trust me!!

(Zone 7a)

Ohhhhh wow ok. Thanks I'm looking forward to seeing them

(Louise) Palm Bay, FL(Zone 9b)

I didn't get any blooms before our frost last year.

(Zone 7a)

Yeah I'm wondering... Still nothing. But this plant is huge!

Richland, WA(Zone 7b)

I had the same problem- on 3 trellises I planted MGs in several colors. The leaves were huge, but only 1 flower. I pulled them all up- totally disappointed with them.

(Louise) Palm Bay, FL(Zone 9b)

My plants were huge too.

(Zone 7a)

Well Lo and behold... The plant is full with a zillion buds. This morning I got this :-)

So now I wonder if it blooms only in the Late Summer/Fall.... or if it's the age of the vine? If its the age of the vine I will start this one very early next year. The blooms are way to pretty not to enjoy through summer.

Thumbnail by Kim_M
(Ronnie), PA(Zone 6b)

Aren't they great Kim!
I've never had blooms before late August into September, I do think they like the shorter days and give out more buds. Enjoy it!!

szarvas, Hungary

In fact the Clarke's Heavenly Blue strain will bloom a month earlier .
But where can we find the really Clarke's Heavenly Blue strain ? on ebay, most of the Clarke's Heavenly Blue are not the real one !
I find one in Japan !
http://asagaoasagao.shop28.makeshop.jp/shopdetail/012000000006/order/
Track .... the dealer is a member of "morning glory"group of Emma on FB.

Pretoria, South Africa

Kim,

I grew some Heavenly Blue MG's last summer, and they were the first to flower for me, and boy, did they put on a show! I am going to grow them again this year. Will let you know how they perform.

Elsa

(Zone 7a)

Great... I would like to know how long they take from seed to bloom for you Elsa.
I'm going to see if I can acquire REAL Clarke's Heavenly Blue 😄
Maybe I can get blooms a little earlier. I have noticed that they prefer partial shade. I have mine in Full Sun and it gets a little limp sometimes. Now that the weather is cooler it seems to be much happier.

Pretoria, South Africa

I planted my seeds yesterday. Our Spring Date is 1 September, but we are experiencing very funny weather. "Cold" (a maximum of 68) the one day, them soaring up to 95F the next. Temps in the 90s are usually reserved for Dec - Feb!

I do agree with you. All my Morning Glories get afternoon sun, with dappled shade in the morning. I find they tend to grow just as vigorously in this position as in full sun, with the added bonus that the flowers lasts longer.

(Zone 7a)

Yes it's planted next to a hyacinth bean :-) But look at how many buds are on this plant. I am inclined to believe it's a Fall bloomer. I've seen others around town and they are just now blooming also.

My camera is really off so the color is off. These are really a beautiful deeper Blue. Striking plant!

Thumbnail by Kim_M Thumbnail by Kim_M Thumbnail by Kim_M
Gautier, MS

Beautiful pictures of your mg blooms. Thanks for sharing.

(Zone 7a)

So worth the wait! 6 months to bloom...This morning this plant was loaded with blooms

(Debra) Derby, KS(Zone 6a)

beautiful, and I love mixing other vines with glorys.. those are stunning.

Pretoria, South Africa

An update... I didn't get one flower. *Sigh*. We had cool, wet weather in Spring, followed by the one heatwave after the other. Just as we thought the "funny" weather was something of the past, we got rain for weeks on end. I love rain, and living in a country known for periods of drought I never complain about rain, but my plants decided they had enough. Will try again next year.

(Zone 7a)

Sorry to hear Elsa. I didn't think mine was going to flower. It was in Fall when it did which nothing else was flowering at that time. So it didn't last for long because frost came.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.