GARDEN PARTY!!!

Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

The last RU at Bonnie's cost a little over $350. after I finished paying a camera ticket for going thru a red light @ 57 mph.
I am hoping to get together with SFGG this fall.
I will not be in Jax as far as I know.
I know y'all will have a great time.
Sidney

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 8b)

If I can I will come and I have some seedling growing right now

Jacksonville, FL

Hope you can make it Sandy! We would love to see you

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

Sandy,

Me, too!!! Been a while since I've seen you---miss you!!!

Know the problems, so understand, but would be great if you could make it!!!

DeLand, FL(Zone 9b)

We are taking a trip the beginning of October. So, I think we'll be missing the festivities. Is there going to be a fall RU? Mittsy was just asking me about it.

Erin

Jacksonville, FL

Erin~Sorry the date conflicts with your trip. As far as I know there are no other RUs scheduled.

Jacksonville, FL

Due to circumstances that have arisen just recently, I find it necessary to cancel the round-up scheduled for Oct 5th. My Apologies to all ~ I was very much looking forward to this and Lori was going to be a huge help, but she and I decided due to issues on my end, it would be best to cancel. Lori and I will always be open for visitors to come for a lunch/garden tour at either of our homes with advanced plans.

I swear these pictures are not color enhanced! This is a frog we found, when we opened our patio umbrella today.
It's as big as a toad, but looks like a cross between a toad & a bullfrog.
Thought at first, that it was a tree frog, until I put my glasses on & saw different.

Am going to post some other pictures of the same after I enlarged them on my camera, may have changed the colors, but still quite curious!

Don't know where to post this, but would love to know if someone know's what kind of frog this is!!!

Thumbnail by Camillia84 Thumbnail by Camillia84 Thumbnail by Camillia84

So sorry to hear this…Was really looking forward to meeting all of you! My prayers are with you…I hope and pray that whatever these 'things' are…Will be over/fixed/cured/ done away with…soon! Prayers all the way round!!!!

~ Tara

These are the pictures I enlarged on my camera, colors changed, but to the human eye---frog was still, lime green!

Maybe the Wildlife forum? http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/f/wildlife/all/

Fleming Island, FL(Zone 9a)

Lori - he sure looks happy to be living in your umbrella!!!!

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 8b)

Might be a Barking Tree Frog.
But you can check with this web site
http://www.wec.ufl.edu/extension/wildlife_info/frogstoads/

Jacksonville, FL

Looks almost like the cuban treefrog. Hope not!!
http://www.wec.ufl.edu/extension/wildlife_info/frogstoads/osteopilus_septentrionalis.php

Winter Springs, FL(Zone 9b)

Sorry to hear about the round-up, but life happens. We'll all get together another time I'm sure.

Lori, by the size of those toe pads on that frog I think you have a Cuban Frog, they can be green and they can get very big. But the Cuban frogs are not good, and in fact should be killed. They do like umbrellas. :-(

Jacksonville, FL

I have not heard of them being this far north but it is very possible. Definitely kill them

Thanks Guys!!

Checked out the web site---seems to be a Cuban tree frog, looks exactly like the last picture on the site.

We will not kill it!!! It doesn't seem to be doing any harm & we have such an over-abundance of lizards that it should leave our other frogs alone.
For the time being----it gets safe passage in our yard.

Jacksonville, FL

I would be careful--they reproduce and will take over, killing the good little native tree frogs. South Florida people can tell you more about them. I have heard their secretions are toxic to animals

Here is a thread that may help

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1278960/?hl=cuban+tree+frogs

Jacksonville, FL

Also check this webste

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/uw259

I will check out the web sites, but as I said before---this frog has a pass in our yard! Opened up the umbrella again this evening---still there!

It is flesh, blood, & bone, has a heart, & maybe a tiny brain, but it is a living being, & we will not kill it!!!

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

Camilia84,
These CTF kill baby birds and snakes and the little green native frogs.
Prof. Johnson at UF told me they need to be done away with as they are killing off our native species. Also, can cause ashma attacks on those who are prone to ashma.
I understand how you feel so please understand how many of us more southern than you all are feel also.

am so sorry Linda had to cancel RU but hope her health is not getting worse. Please tell her I'll continue to pray for her.
Bonnie

Jacksonville, FL

Bonnie~thanks! I am doing fairly well healthwise (still have issues but minimal) Other circumstances have prompted to cancellation. Hopefully by next spring things will be different. The CTF have been steadily moving north and I know after hearing about them from the southern gardeners that they can really be a major problem. I will not hesitate to eradicate them if they show up here.

I enjoy my lizards and native tree frogs as well as the birds and snakes. My lizards have taken a liking to my hummingbird feeders and seem to love the nectar.

Thumbnail by mistressgardenr

Great photo! :-D

Tampa, FL(Zone 9b)

Mistressgardenr, love that great pic of the lizard on the hummingbird feeder, and getting a hummingbird in the process!

Read the web site on these frogs---not saying anyone is wrong, but didn't read anything about killing birds! Any-way----it's gone from the umbrella & I have another situation in front of me now!

Calling the few kitties in last night that stay in the house in the evening---kept hearing a sound, that at first sounded like a baby bird, fallen from the nest. Pinpointed the sound, coming from my neighbors yard, up near the house in the bushes. Found a baby kittie, about 3 to 4 weeks old. Not her's. as she only has one male that never goes out!
Scared to death---took two hours to get it to quit shaking.
Left eye, glued shut from mucus, & as usual----starving.

He slept with me all night & took him to the vet this morning---clean bill of health, but not sure if the eye problem is from being gouged or from an up-respiratory problem, so treating for both!

Every time I think we can't handle one more animal---GOD sends another my way & we WILL deal with it!!!! They can't help themselves!!!!!

Jacksonville, FL

Thank you for rescuing that little kitten, Lori! I wish more people would care. Yolie took one in, a tiny little rascal about four-five weeks old, he was still nursing. Some idiot threw him out into a yard in the middle of a bad storm and he's still here, rules the neighborhood, is rotten to the core and everybody loves The Scooter. Funny thing is, Yolie never liked cats other than her Persians, swore she'd never have any cat around that didn't have a "smooshed face and poppy eyes" (her words) and she hated orange cats. Now she'd kill over this orange furball with the pointed face. I believe God looks kindly on folks who look out for His creations.

Charlie

Maybe Scooter NEEDS a brother/sister to boss around!!!! Lori, I know the address and I'll never tell how it got there!!!!

Jacksonville, FL

NOT a good idea Jean! You've met Scooter and you know one of him is enough for anybody.

He's got to be the orneriest cat I've ever seen. We had to warn the neighbors that when he streaked thru their yards he was just chasing squirrels out of his neighborhood. He terrified Sally one night by racing around the woods next door, he did make a lot of noise crashing thru the brush and dead leaves. The banana tree trunks had to be wrapped in foil to convince him they were not his personal scratching posts. He's a thief too, stole Yolie's bracelets, hid them under his cushions and attacked when she found them, now they're missing again. He eats a lot of Meow Mix but won't accept food from our neighbors, not even a cat treat and none of them can pet him. If we ignore him, he'll bite and run. He's learned how to disconnect the computer The Scooter misdemeanor list is long but I gotta go to work now.

See, he NEEDS a little companion to take his aggressions out on!!!!

Jacksonville, FL

I rescued a 3 wk old kitty a little over a year ago and Bailey was definitely a terror! I recently rescued 2 kitties that were out of a litter of 9 left at a boat ramp. Since I have had them, Bailey has settled down some and is their protector and playmate. He loves the babies! I now have 5 cats and drawing the line there!

This is Bailey with the babies, Camellia and Daisy

Thumbnail by mistressgardenr

44 hours later---Tigger(as we named him) is doing great!!! Obviously not sick, just got poked in the eye, still keeping up with the eye ointment & meds---just in case!

Have had him out on the front patio with us a few times---talk about a little spit-fire!!!

Hoping I wore him out today, maybe get some sleep tonight! Always sleep on the couch with the newbies when they come around, for about 4 nights, seems to bond them to me, & help with the transition to a new place.

First night---not so bad! Second---he spent most of the night wanting to play, & didn't seem to like the fact that I wanted to sleep!!!

Got a couple of picture this evening, but like trying to catch lightening in a bottle to get a good one! Will post them tomorrow.

Lori - you are such a softie!!!!! But a good critter Mom.

Many years ago my mom and dad found two kittens about that same age in their bushes, they nursed them and kept both. They turned out to be the coolest cats ever, and one went on to live to about 18 years old.
Glad you rescued the little baby.

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

My dgts. vet had 2 little kittens left at his office up in Madison and they carried them down to us. Made the best pets and lived out in the hay in our barn. Took a while but my lab finally became best friends with them. Then 1 disappeared and unfortunately its was the friendliest. My husb. is the cat lover and he wasn't happy. Now my lab lets the other one sleep right on top of her back and also shares her food bowl with it even tho my husb. takes it out back and gives it cat food which it also eats.
I am hoping it will keep the bunny rabbits out of my garden when I plant vegies cause last year I lost all my plants same night I set them out.
Husb. swears rabbits don't like cats so hope they don't.

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

Linda,
love that photo of hummer and liz. wish I would get some hummers. had 1 here a couple of weeks ago so put out feeder. i live in hopes.

Last month, was a month of babies!!!
First, my Sailfin Molly had 7 babies.
Next, found the kittie & about a week later, got a call from a friend, found a black lab, about a year old, couldn't find his owner & didn't get along with his Shepard.

Fish---no problem!
Kitten---no problem!
Dog?!!! Different story!!!
Not fixed & have a 15 year old, unspayed female, that is both blind & deaf, bad back, that went into heat the week the Lab came here! Have another 14 year old cocker/German Spitz mix that will go into heat next week!
I'M GOING NUTS!!!!!!

BUT HUBBY WANT'S TO KEEP HIM!!!!

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

Sounds llike you have you own animal rescue league. Hope your on large tract of land. I'm sure they keep you happy cause animals have some real quirky personalities. Good luck with all of them.

Bonnie

Jacksonville, FL

The last few days I have not seen any of my hummers. I am not sure if they have started migrating or whether the feeders were empty for several days when I was in hospital (with minor stroke) I filled them the day after I came home but have not seen any activity. I think it may about the time that they do start migrating ~ my neighbor has not seen any in the past few days either and he keeps feeders full

UPDATE: Dog decided he didn't want to live here after Lady Jane went out of heat, hubby's the only one that misses him!

I've been seeing our hummer's less & less---didn't any at all yesterday.

Here's a few pictures of our new baby. First one is Tigger sleeping on his ball toy, the other's are of him & Ringo playing. So glad that Ringo & Cali are young enough to be playmates for Tigger!

Tampa, FL(Zone 9b)

I have not seen a hummer at my house all season and I have plenty of hummer feeders and plants that they like.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.